Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Circle of Fifths is fantastic, but I am going nuts not being able to identify a guitar part in "Want it All", starts at 2:02. Does anyone have a sample list, or failing that, a better memory than mine to identify the song it comes from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

theEZkill posted:

So I got all the Girl Talk, Smash Bros, E-603, Easter Egg, LudaChrist, and Outlaws albums.

E-603 is my favorite followed closed by Mash Bros.

Am I missing anything?

I think that the Milkman albums will fit into your collection rather nicely.
http://www.milkmanmusic.net/music.cfm

Speaky is also worth a listen, his relabeled Mashcore Vol 2 album was one of the more popular "leaks" right before Feed the Animals came out, and was not an unreasonable prospect if not for the sometimes low quality of the source matieral.

http://www.myspace.com/speakymusic

edit: beaten on the Milkman suggestion, but I hope this reinforces the opinion to find his music.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You should find every other interview he has done and then construct all your questions from the words and phrases of his previous interviewers.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a milk crime posted:

Okay, this came out the other week. DJ Cable and Yasmin did a mashup of 160 hip hop songs in five minutes for Annie Mac's BBC Radio 1 show

http://soundcloud.com/djcable/yasmin-dj-cable-bbc-radio-1

it's really good.

This is almost difficult to listen to. Because it uses so many samples it doesn't fall into any solid groove for longer than a couple of seconds, which is already a flaw with a lot of the ADD style mashups but at least most times you can get a good half-minute of tight grooving before it moves on. It's clever technically but as a song is not very good. It's the sweep-picking teenage bedroom guitarist of mashups.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

piss boner posted:

No free download? Meh.

Just put in $0 when it asks for payment, it's entirely optional.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

JustLikeMe posted:

I know this hasn't been discussed for many pages now, but I've been listening to Milkman's Algorithms quite a bit recently and its grown on me so, so much. When it was released I was pretty underwhelmed and in retrospect I have no idea why. Phenomenal album.

Algorithms is one of my favourite albums ever, so many great moments and a real high point to end his mashup career on. The bass drum in Every Night is so drat fat, so fun to bounce around to.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't listen to commercial radio anywhere and I had to start skipping tracks around midway through the album. Normally if I have slutwave-filled mashups playing I can justify them by saying "yeah but listen to how it contrasts with that beat" or "the sample is totally changed in this context" but with this album I can't differentiate between the tracks playing and what I hear blasting out of passing cars or in TV promos.

I'm going to listen to Algorithms again instead.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bad Apollo is great but I think it relies a bit heavily on pitch shifting to make some of the elements fit together better, and the resulting chipmunk voices give the tracks an almost novelty value. I agree though that a lot of releases are sounding increasingly stale as all the popular samples are repeatedly recycled, and the use of current pop music causes a mashup to lose a lot of impact for me because much of the appeal is recognition of a musical element in the track and how it interplays with another sample and it's not as entertaining if I don't know the source material in the least. Are there many mashups of people mixing their own work with existing songs? I think milkman did throw some of his own work in to his last couple of albums and they turned out really well.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I haven't enjoyed any mashups for some time because a lot of current pop music is used and I am entirely unfamiliar with prettymuch anything that's been in the commercial charts for years. What I consider to be "classic" mashup albums like the first two Girl Talk and 2nd & 3rd Milkman albums still had a lot of stuff I hadn't heard before but it was usually contrasted with several well-known riffs or beats so it worked well for keeping the songs fresh. Last Weird Al album fell flat for me for the same reason, the parody songs didn't work because I wasn't aware of the source music in the first place and secondly the songs being parodied don't sound that good to me anyway.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That was incredible, that mix has been one of my favourite audio recordings since it was released and this has only made it better. Perfect visual accompaniment to a classic album.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 10 second Friends track made me bust out laughing and got an instant repeat.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Same, that mix is incredible and is the definitive version of most of the tracks inside as far as my musical memory is concerned.

The video is icing on the cake, and neatly provides a bookend to the era of audio collages that it practically created.

RIP Mashups 2002-2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Juanito posted:

Wow, I'm really enjoying this guy. Reminds me of listening to Girl Talk for the first time.

Yeah same, a lot of the transitions are very GT and there's a heap of great samples that aren't overplayed. I really like this artist, it's good to see this sort of music still viable after what was prettymuch a hard crash a few years back. Maybe the mashup scene needs a decade between resurgences so the sample bank has time to replenish.

edit: still listening, Girl Talk vibes so hard, this is awesome.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

Someone linked this video, more on the theory and history of the "mashup" but he has a fun one at the end which was cool to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzZkqD-lRtc

Good vid but that gotye sample didn't feel like it fit at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

This is stupid and shouldn't work but somehow it does:

https://soundcloud.com/chestermoistmuffinz/without-throwback-galax-me

Eminem vs Super Mario Galaxy

I didn't expect the chorus to fit so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0nIPogYAU0
It's a few years old now but I've alwaye been partial to Vinyl Fantasy 7, video game music + rappers seems to be a winning combination