Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm liking the E-603 album quite a bit, though he doesn't quite have the imagination of GT, and one or two of the tracks just don't work at all.

Now all I need is a list of his samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There's a lot to like here, and overall it's definitely better than "Something for Everyone" but it's still not hitting the heights of "Feed the Animals" for me. He's still not as seamless in the way he cuts up his samples as Girl Talk is, and he leaves some samples go on for far too long (There's way too much 'Teenage Dirtbag' for example. And that loving song about a stripper who has a kid at home and she needs the money or something - I'm sure he plays nearly the whole song). On the whole I do think that the Girl Talk albums just sound better, like they got higher production values.

There is some great stuff though. The opening track is great, particulary the cut that has Blink 182 in the background, that then returns later in the track. Also, I did just poo poo on the use of "Teenage Dirtbag" but the rest of the track that follows is pretty great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah GT does a bit more than that, he has tons of Audiomulch scripts set up and does mixing on the fly.

Listening to 'Torn Up' some more and I just can't get into it. I think the first track is amazing, and to be honest it just seems to coast on that goodwill for a few tracks. On the whole I have to say it's fairly mediocre but is punctuated by moments of greatness.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

theEZkill posted:

Thanks.

I'm liking Milkman but E-603 still crushes them all :]

Really? Are we talking about the same E-603? He's good, there's no doubt about it, but he's still trying to do the 'girltalk' thing but can only do it half as well. I think it's telling that he delayed 'Torn up' after 'Feed the Animals' came out.

I think that 'Something for Everyone' is a stronger album than 'Torn up', despite the lower production values. 'Torn Up' has an amazing opening track, and I think the album as a whole reaches moments of excellence. But the difference with Girltalk is that GT's mash-ups feel somewhat organic. Tracks just seem to 'go' together. For me he gets a lot that feels 'right', though I will admit there's a few mis-steps on 'Feed the Animals' but they're few and far between.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

Having loved Super Mash Bros, I decided to give Girl Talk a try. Holy poo poo Girl Talk is crap. Apart from them both doing mash ups, I honestly can't see how people can compare them at all. That being said, Girl Talk does have one useful purpose - it kept me awake and annoyed on my last leg of a trip back home when I was feeling tired.

I'm the complete other end of that scale. I've tried listening to Super Mash Bros again and again and I just can't gel with it. There are parts that I like without a doubt, but on the whole I just find it incredibly boring. But hey, art is subjective and all that jazz.

What I will say is that Girl Talk has this weird ability to supplant songs in my mind with ones he's created, which speaks to how well he does what he does. So whenever 'Girl/Boy song' from Aphex Twin pops up on my ipod I immediately expect to hear some dubious rapping over the top of it, despite the fact I was a fan of the song way before it was used on 'Feed the Animals'. From a purely technical perspective though it's crazy the amount of work that goes into what he does. It's simply more than just 'lay this song on top of this one'.

Just out of curiosity what album were you listening to?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

I've listened to some of his other albums and he can be tolerable, but "Secret Diary" should definitely not be the first album of his people should listen to (if ever). The thing that annoys me the most about him is how much he relies on glitches especially when it comes to transitions, which after listening to Secret Diary are really obvious and annoying. Super Mash Bros on the other hand is always smooth and the mashups can stand as songs on their own merits.

Oh I totally agree with you there, I find it nigh on unlistenable. I like 'Unstoppable' the more I hear it but it wasn't until 'Night Ripper' that it starts to come together. Then 'Feed the Animals' is just the poo poo.

As was mentioned, something which impresses with GT is the breadth of his samples. Just look at the first track of 'Feed the Animals' for example, there's Sinead O'Connor, Pete Townshend, Outkast, Temple of the Dog and Roy Orbison to name just a few. I like that he doesn't feel limited like some mash-up artists seem to. There's almost this fallacy that you have to use the most up to date samples.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I agree with BrainDance. I've tried to give 'Secret Diary' so many goes but it's just painful to listen to. Even Girltalk has said that at that time he was just messing around and experimenting. It has nothing to do with getting the genre or not, it's just plain bad.

I do like his second album quite a bit though, it strikes a good balance between what he was doing then and what he's doing now.

As for those live shows. I like a lot of the cuts on the latest show (That Karma Police drop is inspired), but the Bonaroo show seems a lot more alive (Probably because you can hear the crowd in that one) despite the numerous laptop errors.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slackerish posted:

Is he reusing some samples in this one? I swear he's used "Loser" before.

I don't recall that he has, but the last E-603 album did.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

Just so you know, some retarded aspie wikipdian [see also: human being] decided it'd be a great idea to take down just about all the tracklists on wikipedia for all of Girl Talks albums because they're not actual research but others speculation. Way to go, wikipedia!

Which is pretty much bullshit as even GT said that it's accurate (They've just not found all the samples he's used yet). He even linked to it via his Twitter.

Also, the FLAC version of the album is up now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I feel the same way about Smokeshow as I did about Torn Up: There's some great moments, but they're few and far between. It's largely uninvolving but there's a few parts that grab you.

It's about time someone used 'You can call me Al' though. So well done there.

My main issue with it is that I'll hear a sample and think "Oh yeah it was good when Girl Talk used this one".

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The use of Sexyback is pretty terrible in this regard. It's slowed right the gently caress down so it's almost like a slur. I mean Timberlake's vocals are already a little off kilter for that song anyway, but there are moments that reek of someone's first time playing around with Ableton.

Like someone else said, I like the diversity of his samples (I love the use of a hosed Up song towards the end) but it's full of awkward moments.

Not to bring up Girltalk again but one of the things I think that GT does well is he's aware of the flow and energy of his songs. There's a moment in Smokeshow where it builds and builds and then the music essentially stops, and the energy just vanishes. It creates a weird kind of disconnect and pulls you out of it.

It makes me appreciate 'Torn Up' even more, which is odd seeing as I don't like it that much.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

YET ANOTHER FAG posted:

The problem is 9/10 times "the whole thing" doesn't work as well as the 15 second clip. I used to be really into this kind of stuff but it did get stale pretty fast. Have you heard any 2ManyDJs mixes? Some really good stuff there.

Yeah this. There's that one from the E603 album where he mixes Rolling In The Deep and All That She Wants. It's good for a few bars, but it keeps going and going to the point where it just starts sounding amateurish.

I think using shortened samples allows you to get a bit more eclectic. I noticed though that with All Day, Girl Talk has been letting the samples play out longer than usual.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Actually on his last album, which I'm not that big a fan of, E-603 did a really cool thing where in the first track he used a couple of samples almost as a chorus for the song, so it meanders and then it comes back again. I don't think you could make it work for every song, but it was an interesting approach.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Girl Talk's last record was like, six years ago? Any word on a new one?

I don't think he's talked about it for a while. I know he mentioned starting on something a couple of years back, but that was about it. I think he's going to generally start moving away from it.

Deathlove posted:

So is the last White Panda album. I wonder what the licensing deal is for that stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're just throwing it up there either in error, or to see how long before it gets taken down. It sounds ridiculous, but Tidal just had to take down a bunch of Prince bootlegs they had up.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That whole section starting with loving Tim Allen grunting is fantastic. Yeah you get elaborate cum jokes like 'Bustin', but some of that stuff is really well put together.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

9 years since Feed the Animals came out and 7 since All Day

gregg we need more GT :negative:

He's always admitted how slow he's been in putting the albums out, but I think he's probably tired of it by now and is just happy doing live shows. The last interview I saw with him was just about how he puts together music for his stage shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's kinda surprising that with the year we've had and the one we're still having that there wasn't more stuff released.