Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Seriously, what the hell is a Dim Mak?
I have a couple of questions about slide film since I've never used it:
How do people scan their slides? Just using regular flatbed scanners or what
Is there absolutely no way to get prints from slides?

I'm looking for a new neckstrap 'cause the one that came with my camera is this old red Canon one that makes my neck real itchy. Any recommendations on straps that won't make me itchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Luxmore posted:

Commercial B&W film processing is awful and expensive so you may as well put that out of your mind right now.
Aw man, really? I was hoping to get this roll of tmax developed at like London Drugs or something, 'cause I haven't ponied up the money to develop my stuff at home yet.
When I got color prints a while ago I asked for no color correction, so I could see how my shots were actually turning out... is there a B&W white equivalent to color correction, or is what you see what you see what you get?

I was wondering, how do you guys organize your negatives and prints? I just have a couple of envelopes sitting in my closet right now, but there surely has to be a better way to arrange 'em.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
A couple of weeks ago I finished shooting my first roll of B&W film and I was really stoked and wanted to get prints, so I took it to London Drugs and was pretty bummed when they told me it would take 2 weeks. So I grabbed the roll and decided that I'd go and buy the stuff so I can develop at home (that's still on my to-do list)

Anyhow, when I got some color prints before, I got some weird striping effect happening on some of the photos:

Any idea on what could have caused that and what I could do to prevent/fix it?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

Is it the same bands, in the same spot, on all your pictures? (Looks like it might be from those two). Might be a light leak in your camera.

Yeah, it's on the same spot on all the pictures. But the strange thing is that out of the 2 rolls i've gotten developed and printed, the striping only occurred on the 2nd set of prints.
If it is a light leak, how would I fix that?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Jahoodie posted:

Where are you getting prints? It might just be crappy drugstore developing then.
London Drugs :pseudo:
Yeah at first I thought maybe it was London Drugs that hosed up my poo poo, but I wasn't positive. I guess we'll see when I get around to developing my own stuff.

I was wondering what I should do with my bulk loader that's full of film? I keep it in my room (in a box, in my closet) but it's starting to really warm up around here and I'm worried that if my room gets too hot it'll gently caress up the film. I don't think I have room in the family fridge to fit the entire bulk loader, so should I just fill up as many cartridges as I can and then toss those in the vegetable crisper? The only problem with that I guess is that there will still be film in my room

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
I posted earlier in this thread asking whether the messed up prints I was getting were a result of my camera or the people at London Drugs. I got some more prints at a different place today and it definitely looks to me like I have a light leak:

How would I go about fixing this?

I asked one of my friends and she said I might have to buy a whole new camera. Say it ain't so! :smith:

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Do those streaks coincide with the sprocket holes? Because those look like surge marks from overzealous agitation.

Actually, yeah, it does seem like it might be the sprocket holes causing that, 'cause of the regular spacing between each line. Hmm.
What would cause the big red lines on this photo though?

edit: this photo with the red lines was the 2nd photo off the roll, and the one with the intense sprocket striping was the 22nd photo.

MrMeowMeow fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 14, 2008

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Just a quick question, I want to take my camera with me when I drive across the Canadian/American border tomorrow. I know that at airports, x-rays can mess up film, but do I have to worry about anything being x-rayed tomorrow or should it be smooth sailing?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
I was in here a while ago complaining about my camera possibly having a light leak. Turns out I'm just a dork and I was winding the film the wrong way once it was finished. :frogbon:
So whoever said it looked like sprocket agitation or whatever was dead-on.

I've decided that Velvia is super fantastic. I just got back my slides from the store yesterday and they're so sharp and the colors are amaaazing. It's so expensive though, especially when the price of scanning is added on. I don't know how anyone could afford to shoot velvia on a regular basis.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
I hadn't even thought of buying bulk online and doing mail processing. Should I be looking at freestylephoto.biz for mail processing or somewhere else?

I'm looking for a new lens to accompany my 50mm 1.8 and I mainly shoot nature stuff, so I guess I'd be interested in a wide angle. Any recommendations on what I should get for my canon ae-1?

Oh and one last question, can lenses mounted on an AE-1 autofocus, or are they always manual?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Trying to win auctions on eBay makes me want to shoot myself in the foot. I was trying to get a canon 28mm f2.8 lens on the cheap, but kept getting outbid by a few cents at the last second and on another auction I hit the bid button a second late and it had all ended by that time. I also tried to find the canon lens in stores in Vancouver but I only found people selling them for $100, and a sketchy pawn shop selling a 28mm lens for $35 but it was of very questionable quality. Frustration got the best of me and I settled on using the 'Buy Now' button on an auction for a RMC Tokina 28mm f/2.8 for about $40.
Guys, reassure me that I didn't gently caress up and that this Tokina lens will be okay!

I am pretty excited for it to arrive though, I need a reason to bring my camera around with me more often. Do you guys ever get in a rut where it's like you can't find anything interesting to take pictures of? What do you when this happens?

MrMeowMeow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 24, 2008

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Luxmore posted:

Heck it's not even that bad for an 28mm S.S.C. in FD mount.
I had to look up what SSC meant, but is Super Spectra Coating really that great?

And thanks johnasavoia for the tip on changing technical ways of shooting. I had still been using my training wheels (a.k.a. aperture priority) and had forgotten about that. I'll give some of your suggestions a shot.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Someone on here recommended Fuji 800 Pro Z as something nice to pick up, so I'm going to go get some tomorrow and I was wondering if 1600 color film exists, and if so, what kind should I grab?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
My RMC Tokina 28mm f/2.8 came in the mail a while ago and I've been having fun with it so far. The only thing that I've noticed is when I focus to infinity, stuff that is very far away and should be in focus still appears out of focus. (This is just in-camera, I haven't gotten anything shot with this lens developed yet)

For example, if my focus is on infinity and I point towards some trees in the far distance, they are kind of out of focus, but the sky will be in focus. What could be the reason for this?

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Satchmo posted:

I want to get into photography. Back at my parents' house there is a canon nobody uses, I believe it is an AE-1. Any problems learning on this camera?

I've new to photography, and I've been learning on an AE-1 for a few months, and I love the thing. It has a nice, sturdy feel to it. So no, no problems at all learning on that camera, buy yourself some film and go nuts.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Last night I had a dream about exploring Tibetan mountains and in some busted up shack I found a perfectly good Hasselblad and bought it off some dude for $20. I was pretty disappointed when I woke up and realized that I didn't have a new camera.

On the plus side, my girlfriend is going to lend me her dad's camera. Apparently it's some Russian camera from the 80's? I have no clue, but I am stoked to see what it is.

I was wondering if any of you guys wear headphones/earbuds while wearing a neckstrap. I have yet to find a comfortable way to listen to music while lugging around my camera, I always end up with the headphone cords tugging at my head.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
I'm thinking of heading to Central/South America to travel for several months. How feasible would it be for me to travel with a film SLR if I mainly plan on backpacking, couch surfing and hitchhiking? I'm thinking it would be a hassle to lug around the camera + film all the time, not to mention the fact that I could be identified as a tourist from miles away with a big backpack + big camera around the neck. Then there's the issue of developing film and mailing it home or whatever.
I just can't wrap my head around how I could bring my trusty camera with me.

Have you guys ever traveled like this with a camera for extended periods of time, and if so, how did you do it?

I'm thinking of copping out and just bringing a small digital camera because that seems to be the most convenient thing.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

dunno posted:

I did a 2 month trip to europe and a month in Guatemala in Mexico with my big old Nikkormat FTN and just one or two small primes. I was really happy with it.

A manual film camera will take abuse like a champ, its batteries will die maybe once every 2 or 3 years and if it gets stolen (which is less likely, because its weight/dollar value ratio is not high), it can be replaced for at most a couple of hundred dollars.

If carrying a lot of film is a concern, remember that you can always process some of what you've shot and mail the negatives home, or at least store them flat. You can also acquire decent consumer grade C-41 film at respectable prices in any moderately sized town or city in the world.

Personally, I carried all my film with me and waited until I got home to process it, but you know, whatever works.

Those photos look great. I'm actually considering heading to Guatemala myself.
Did you bring a separate padded bag for your camera or your lenses? and did you have a flash unit with you?

Right now I have a 50mm f/1.8 and a 28mm f/2.8, I don't have a zoom lens

MrMeowMeow fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 22, 2009

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Fbi2thegrave posted:

hey guys--i posted this before, but it was chalked up to poor processing at the film place, but it's occurred again at another place and only with some shots on some film. Any insights as to what could be causing this? It lines up with the holes on the film if you look at the negatives.

(both untouched)

I thought it might be caused by me changing the lens (perhaps there was light leaking through) but it happened in two shots where i definitely didn't change the lens in between.

i had this problem when i first started shooting on my ae-1. you're definitely reeling in the film the wrong way when you're using the little crank arm thing. when you pop up the arm, there's a small arrow to indicate which way you should be spinning it.

i have a canon ae-1 question. my camera's shutter button doesn't like to activate anymore. i've looked around a little online to find out what the problem is. i guess there's a little magnet in the button that can get stuck? i was wondering if anyone here had experience with this issue, 'cause it's rendered my lovely little camera unusable. would the battery life affect this as well? i think the battery is ok cause the light metering still works. help!

edit: is there anyone from Vancouver, BC that knows where i could locally buy one of those DIY TLR kits? or a place to buy medium format cameras in general. i'm gonna head to the flea market for the first time to see if there's anything good

MrMeowMeow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2011

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
Went to the flea market and ended up finding a guy with a really really nice Kodak Retina IIIc (not sure if big C or little c). He's asking $280 for it though he said we could negotiate. It's in great condition, comes with a lens hood and leather case. After doing some googling and finding this: http://www.cameraquest.com/ret3c.htm
I was a little bit hesitant in pursuing this camera. Anyone ever used one of these?

He was also selling a nice Rolleiflex w/ built-in light meter. Wanted $550 for it.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
i'm pretty sure i've narrowed down my problem to the battery being dead. i'll buy a new one soon. i'm gonna feel like an rear end in a top hat if that's been the problem the whole time

here's example's of me winding my film the wrong way if you wanna see:
http://i.imgur.com/1VGNj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6rlIh.jpg
i, too, thought i had a light leak. once i started winding the right way the problem went away.

edit: yup, it was the battery. woops.

MrMeowMeow fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 5, 2011

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I had a chance to get some pictures from an anime convention. Can someone explain me what's happening with the 2nd picture?

Also, I am really impressed with my Yashica 230-AF.

You're winding the film the wrong way when you've finished your roll. This happened to me a few times until someone pointed it out and I noticed that on my camera, the arm for winding the film has an arrow indicating the proper direction.

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006
anyone in vancouver, bc want a free 120 roll of ilford hp5 400? my lady accidentally bought me the wrong size film, i don't have any medium format cams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMeowMeow
Aug 11, 2006

HPL posted:

Whereabouts are you exactly?

east van, right off the drive