Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd like to get started in basic black-and-white photography, and was wondering if anyone could offer advice on a good, fairly cheap starter camera? I've made a few digital films so I'm familiar with the very basics of composition and exposure, but I really know nothing about developing or film itself, and would like recommendation for a basic camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Misc posted:

ultramax 400

mmm omg yum

edit: max800 is good and tasty

crunchy pal

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 30, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

I acquired an Olympus OM-G last year for dirt cheap at Value Village and I've been slowly using it more and more now that I live and work near a couple of film shops/labs. It's fun, and I'm still getting used to it, but it's also expensive and I'd like to try developing my own film, and perhaps even scanning it. Any recommendations for a basic black and white developing kit?

Also, what is happening with these consistently-patterned dots?

Is this an issue with the the lab's developing, or scanning? Or is it my camera? It's shown up in two different rolls now and I can't figure it out.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
If you look at the sky above the building, there's a big grid of dots. It's faint, but annoying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Shot a couple rolls of Kentmere 400 at 1600 again, this time so I'd have something to develop with my at home kit. It was a little nervewracking but they came out (I think) just right. Got a Vivitar 28mm f2.8 for super cheap off Etsy and it's beautiful and sharp and wide, and I'm really enjoying pushed Kentmere, it's all chunky and soft. Went for TIF scans at the photo place which is a great improvement but it also seems like I really should just get a scanner for myself. Any opinions on the Epson V550?