Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

user ansel autism helped me develop my first roll of 35mm ilford delta 100 the other day, also scanned them because he's the best

hallway by mydoski, on Flickr

nothin' too interesting photo wise, just nice to experience the whole life cycle of negatives for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Afaik, x-rays show up as waves on your negatives - http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

:stare: I mean I always assumed there was some kind of effect but I wasn't sure what it was exactly. I recently took my backpack full of HP5 through a trip and back, thereby getting xrayed twice, will this have a visible effect?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Spedman posted:

Nope, even if you stuck it in your checked baggage you should be okay

I expected as much but the confirmation will help me rest easy knowing my lovely photos haven't been molested by the barely penetrating rays of a bag scanner

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

In case anyone hates money, KEH is doing 10% bodies, 15% lenses, 20% everything else sale with the code SITEWIDE today.

:cabot: :cabot: :cabot: just shook on a deal to get a mamiya c3 from a dorkroom goon and have ordered some hp5 120 and a 80mm f/2.8 lens for it (ontop of the 105mm it's coming with :cabot: :cabot: :cabot:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

The most irritating part of working in recycling is dealing with all the worthless junk people recycle.

had to look this up because i dont know things but :lol::lol:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

gently caress, I just destroyed an entire roll of film.

:rip:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

nielsm posted:

I really like those tones.

From the tags I'm guessing it's Delta 400, but what sort of exposure and development?

the names of the photos also say "Delta400"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i vaguely name folders by month/year and subject or some sort of sentence that describes where it was because normally im thinking about photos/rolls less in time scales and more areas or content

"~/Document/scans/2015 may yurt trip/"
"~/Documents/scans/2015 april lovely street shots lol gently caress poo poo drat im so bad at this lmao/"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

smug little poo poo i'm glad it's dead

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Megabound posted:

I too find it shameful that people talk about film gear in the film gear thread and post photos in the photo relevant threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Yond Cassius posted:

I'd argue that playtime is valuable, and you can learn a lot if you let yourself gently caress around just for the sheer fun of it. If having cheap and serviceable film lets you shoot more in general (for either financial or psychological reasons), then I'm all for it. Fujiroids do this for me in large format, and if nothing else the sheer impulsive freedom of "Sure, why not? I'm carrying 50 exposures and I bought them cheap." has let me develop a lot faster (:haw:) than if I were only doing things where I was sure I wanted to commit.

I disagree. In other creative mediums, like painting, an early habit that’s hard to break is repeating brush strokes mindlessly, or dabbing in an area without thinking enough about your goals. This isn’t an issue of wasting paint and affects digital painters as well. Pre-visualizing what you want to see is an important skill to build and if you don’t limit yourself and act with intention you end up with muddy results and it can be difficult to say how you should improve.

I think it’s less important to take lots of photos and more important to develop intention. Take lots of photos if you want, but if you can’t remember why you took any of them and most of your results are aimless and boring (whether or not there was a technical problem), you’re dabbing your brush.

I think 35 or DSLR users end up in this trap a lot. Feels good to press the shutter, feels bad to only be able to take dentist waiting room landscapes.

E: shoot portra 400