Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I finally got myself a scanner.

Campsite view by Herounicorn, on Flickr

The waterfall was dry by Herounicorn, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I am loving have a scanner

Spider by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I'm in love with Ektar

Letters by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Developed my first roll at home with Rodinal. I'm really happy with how it came out.

hazy by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

shallow by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

MMD3 posted:

obviously shooting Leica isn't a budget decision. But it'd be nice to keep the per-roll cost down after the initial investment.

I'm also thinking if I ever want to try to shoot a concert or event w/ film I'm going to be much better served by a rangefinder than a TLR.
As a cheap option there's always vintage canon rangefinders like the 7 series (7, 7s, 7sZ). Theres some great russian glass in the m39/leica thread mount.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
from my 2nd roll of doing portraits for the first time.

20131205-Scan-131204-0005 by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

20131205-Scan-131204-0001 by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Insanite posted:

As someone who's about to start developing BW film at home, this doesn't actually do me much that a cheaper sous video machine doesn't, right?

https://cinestillfilm.com/products/...cessing-at-home

Also, shooting film is way fun! Haven't done it since I was a tween. Picked up a couple of 70s Pentaxen and now I'm hooked.

Looks like they rebranded this Chefman sousvide, gave it a nicer display and added the accordion bottle holder.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I wonder if anybody makes a set of gray cards with a range of values rather than the set of the white, 18% gray, and black cards.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Dev chems can have their shelf life extended if you reduce exposure to the air. The classic solution is accordion style bottles that are collapsible. Woodworkers have a similar problem and somebody had the bright idea to market a spray can filled with pure Argon. You spray a little into your chem bottles and since argon is heavier than air, it rests on top of the chems shielding it from oxygen and moisture. Its sold under the brand name Bloxygen.

Edit:
Also generally you don't need to use a chemical stop for film developer unless you are using a highly concentrated developer mix and your dev times are crazy fast.
I've near exclusively used Rodinal for years and never had issues with a water stop bath at 1+25 concentrations.

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 21, 2022

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The image I have of every Leica owner/collector is Jon Favreau when he was interviewed years ago on the Daily Show and he had his Monochrom with him. He just had to tell Jon Stewart that it only took black and white images despite being digital.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Odoyle posted:

It's been about a year since I developed any film. I shoot TX400 almost exclusively and tried Xtol then, developed maybe 4 rolls from that whole gallon batch of chemistry. I hear it keeps for maybe 6 months. I ran a test strip yesterday and yeah, the fully exposed leader was pretty thin. Got some of my old favorite developers on the way now. Some Diafine and Acufine. I have loved this stuff since I discovered it 25 years ago. Back then I shot mostly live music so everything I shot was pushed to 1250 or 1600 and dunked in one of these two developers.

The prompt for all this personal film development revival is that I uncovered three daylight bulk loaders at the bottom of a box last weekend. I picked em up in DC at least 15 years ago and never touched them. They still have film loaded. Labeled "Tri-X," "Plux-X," and "Day." The test TX strip I did didn't seem fogged much but again I think my developer was bad. When I get fresh chemistry I'll test again and see what this daylight balanced color film is. I'm guessing some kind of Ektachrome according to the old tape labels visible under other tape layers on the other bulk loaders.

Any recs from personal experience shooting decades old expired bulk reels like this? Especially the slide film. I do all of my own developing (B&W, C-41, E-6). Seems I have plenty of film to do some test exposures with to dial things in.

I think the general rule for expired film is to overexpose by a stop for every decade it has been expired. Not sure if that applies to slide film though.

I have a similar question! Someone is selling an unopened 100ft bulk roll of Kodak Panatomic-X that expired in 1980 that I'm picking up tomorrow. Googling around says this poo poo doesn't really expire partly because its such a slow speed film at 32 iso. Is that true? Can I just dev as if it was new?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Megabound posted:

Your best option is the Epson V850 + the Lomo Digitaliza holder for 120. The V850 holders suck with their ANR plastic which attracts dust so you rip the plastic out of the 35mm holders and get the Digitaliza for 120

What about betterscanning? Their holders are great.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Developing some rolls from January. Accidentally underexposed this whole roll but I'm really liking this shot.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Are the focal plane shutter hasselblads (2000f,fc,fcm,fcw) as fragile as other photography forums seem to suggest?

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
The Voigtlander 40mm f2 pancake is an incredible lens

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
If anyone is in the Sacramento area there is someone in Nevada City giving away what could be a ~$700 color enlarger assuming it works.
I'd pick it up but I have nowhere to setup a darkroom.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/616923847086710/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
What are the benefits of using siverfast instead of vuescan?