Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
How do you guys store your film?

Would just putting it into a Rubbermaid container and then putting it in a fridge be ok or should I also load up on dessicant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Is it okay to store in the fridge or should I keep it in he freezer? My fridge goes down to about 6-7c, freezer below 0c.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Here's what I rigged up to dslr scan my photos

not shown: the desk lamp i set up after

would recommend shooting tethered, and using more lighting.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

My brother is in NYC so I had him pick me up some Portra 400 at B&H so that I don't have to deal with :canada: shipping costs. And buying a 35mm 5-pack of the stuff costs $79 locally. Pretty excited about it.

Have you considered buying from freestyle? Even after shipping and customs, it's cheaper than local.

I did that recently for 22 rolls of film (portra, ektar, velvia, provia, tmax, arista, etc) and after shipping and taxes (which came out to about $50), it still worked out to about $7.50 per roll.
Locally it's about $9 for a roll of portra/ektar and $13 for a roll of velvia/provia

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Should just rename this thread The Portra 400 Thread

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I like ektar, the colors are great, but you have to get your exposure perfect or it will look like poo poo.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

Gotcha, so only real pros use ektar right? :smug:

The people who use ektar don't post here :smug:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Good luck with that.

Here's how you process your kodachrome:

quote:

Backing removal
An alkaline bath softens the cellulose acetate phthalate binder. A spray wash and buffer removes the rem-jet antihalation backing.
First Developer
All exposed silver halide crystals are developed to metallic silver via a PQ developer. The yellow filter layer becomes opaque because it has a combination of Lippmann emulsion (very tiny grains) and Carey Lea silver (metallic silver particles that are small enough that they are yellow rather than gray.)
Wash
Red light re-exposure through the base
This makes the remaining undeveloped silver halide in the cyan layers developable.
Cyan developer
The solution contains a color developer and a cyan coupler. These are colorless in solution. After the color developer develops the silver, the oxidized developer reacts with the cyan coupler to form cyan dye. The dye is much less soluble than either the developer or the coupler so it stays in the red layer of the film.
Wash
Blue light re-exposure from the top
This makes the remaining undeveloped grains in the blue sensitive layer (the yellow layer) developable. The now opaque yellow filter layers prevents the blue light from exposing the magenta layer (the green sensitive layer, which is also sensitive to blue light). It is important to avoid stray printing light exposing the film base of film.
Yellow developer
Analogous to the cyan developer.
Wash
Magenta developer
This contains a chemical fogging agent that makes all of the remaining undeveloped silver developable. If everything has worked correctly, nearly all of this silver is in the magenta layers. The developer and magenta coupler work just like the cyan and yellow developers to produce magenta dye that is insoluble and stays in the film.
Wash
Conditioner
Prepares the metallic silver for the bleach step.
Bleach
(Iron EDTA) Oxidises the metallic silver to silver halide. The bleach must be aerated. The former ferricyanide bleach did not require aeration and did not require a conditioner.
Fix
Converts the silver halide to soluble compounds which are then dissolved and washed from the film
Wash
Washes the fixer out of the film.
Rinse
Contains a wetting agent to reduce water spots.
Dry
The result is three different color records each with the appropriate dye, just like other color films. The original Kodachrome process in 1935 used dye bleaches and was a far more complex process. Although the formulae have changed over the years, the basic process steps have followed a similar pattern since the introduction of "selective re-exposure" Kodachrome in 1938.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Can't be as miserable as foma. At least tri-x is not the cheapest thinnest plastic film in the world.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

For the Pentax,
Does the meter stay on the entire time or does it shut off after a few seconds?
Is the little red light always on?

What is it doing or not doing? Is the mirror and shutter just not retracting all the way?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Develop one roll at box speed, see how it is before proceeding with the other two.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Looks like HP5 is $65 for a 100 foot roll, and it looks like the average roll of 36 has about 65" of film (including the leader and the end), so 18 rolls and a bit left over for $65 = $3.61 per roll plus your bulk loader and your canisters.

Buying it is $5.59 per roll of 36. You're saving about $2 per roll.

TriX is $127.79 for 100 feet, using the same calculations as above, that's $6.92 per roll, but you could buy it for $5.03 per roll. You're losing money.

TMAX is $82.79 for 100 feet, which works out to $4.59 per roll, versus $5.39 per roll to purchase. Your savings are $0.80 per roll.

All prices from Freestyle.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

bulk load 220 then

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Yup, the backing pressure plate slides from 120 to 220, and there's also that screw on the side that you rotate from 120 to 220.
The back will also say 220 once you slide the pressure plate over.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I just ran some ektar through colorperfect and the results are :psyduck:

DSC_9266-Edit by rchan02, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Not sure what I'm really doing wrong here since I don't know poo poo and I just started developing b&w

- Black and white film; ilford hp5 400
- Rodinal 1:100 (5ml + 500ml water), 1 hour (start, agitation, 30 minutes, agitation, 30 minutes, drain)
- stop rinse, like 3-5 minutes or whatever
- Ilford rapid fixer, mixed according to bottle directions, 5 minutes

Then, formulary hypoclear mixed 1:9 (so in my case, 55ml + 500ml water), soak it for a few minutes, then rinse it off and hang it up to dry

Still getting lots and lots of spots, build up, residue, etc. Everything is just dandy until that point, too.

Where am I going wrong? Should I squeegee the water off after hanging up? Too much hypoclear? Stand developing for bad people?

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 22, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Provia
Velvia
Agfa Precisa
Rollei Digibase

Agfa Scala, if you want black and white slides.

Provia 400 is getting discontinued soon too, so stock up on that.

Expired film that is stored properly should be good too, as long as it's not kodachrome, since you can't process that anymore. Buy some Astia.

I'm thinking of selling off some of my Astia, maybe.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I do 1:100 rodinal:water, agitate for the first 30 seconds, wait 30 minutes, agitate 5x, then dump it out after an hour, rinse with water, ilford rapid fixer, then hypoclear, then rinse, hang, and then i throw it all away because my pictures are bad and i haven't looked at anything i've done in months

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

If not trix, then hp5.

I've had some pretty decent results with kentmere as well, and it's cheaper. A fair bit grainier, but also a lot cheaper.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

timrenzi574 posted:

That's exactly the kind of lens that is the worst for this (fast double gauss 50's) - not all the light focuses at the same place when wide open, which is what gives it that dreamy hazy low contrast look. Stopping down corrects those SA's, which moves the plane of focus a bit. If you stop down a bunch (f/4, f/5.6, etc) the DOF becomes large enough to overcome the shift, same as if you're shooting at a distance. But close up and only stopping down a little, it can throw you entirely out of the (very thin) DOF.

So would it be best to shoot these in dof preview ?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Having some weird problems and I have no idea what I'm doing (both in general and wrong)

Most recent roll has about the lower 1/4 significantly lighter than the top 3/4.

(yes, they are supposed to be that underexposed)

With previous rolls (TriX, hp5) I'm getting some weird spots. Usually white, and usually on the bottom of the film as well.

120 film
Rodinal 1:100
Ilford rapidfixer
formulary hypo clear
patterson system 4 (2x 135 or 1x 120)

It's probabl something incredibly minor that I didn't think of, like the reel has to be higher up on the pole or lower on the pole or upside down or something.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

What volume of chemistry are you using? Spots sounds like foam and lighter bottom 1/4 sounds like underdevelopment. Both can be caused by not using enough liquid.

500+5ml of developer

quote:

How do you agitate? Turning the can, shaking the can, or spinning the pole?

The reel can move on the pole if you agitate by turning the can, so careful about that. And you obviously get foaming if you shake it, or turn it too aggressively.

rotate the tank while also rotating it end-on-end. Gently, about 15 times at the beginning, and a few taps to dislodge any bubbles.
About the same at 30 minutes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Could also be ultramax.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Ettr

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You would only need 5 system4 patterson tanks to do that all at once, if you stand developed.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I skip the stop bath step and just rinse for a couple minutes, and I haven't had any problems with that.

The problem I have is using photoflo at the end, since it just leaves dried residue bits unless I also rinse for a ridiculously long time to get rid of it :\

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 3, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm just reading this wrong, you still use fixer, right?

I meant stop bath, not fixer

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Unless it's an M7

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I like the Nikon f3. They are the best.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Expired film?
Exposed for the wrong part of the scene ?
Wrong settings on the camera?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

check out ebay japan sellers, it was a lot cheaper there than it was from any source here. I bought 3 rolls for under 30 dollars shipped

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Credit k-rock because you want to support your growing family

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You can still fire the shutter with the back open. And see the film advancing mechanism. Does it look ok on all speeds?

I'd also suggest picking up some b&w film and developing yourself, and wasting a few rolls to test it out. Film dev is super cool.

The FA is also super cool.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Would it show up if you used the slow motion mode on an iPhone with a strong light pointing through the front?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Depends if you got the gallon mix. If so, just dilute it to 3.8, then when you use it you re-dilute to 1:1 or 1:3 or whatever.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

No, you look on the massive dev chart for the new dev time.

Eg tri X is about 9:45 at iso 400, and about 13:15 at iso1600

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

You just need a bottle opener to pop open the can, and then you toss the can aside and never deal with it again. I usually don't even trim off the leader and roll that poo poo right in.

I also use D76 and Tri-X so who even knows.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Also some brands are easier to wind than others.

Namely, foma is rear end

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

ansel autisms posted:

What do you dislike about Foma? I find it pretty pleasant, just a bit easy to scratch.

You only really need to worry about fixer, if you have a local lab they may have a silver reclamation system, otherwise take it to a hazardous waste dump.

Loading the film onto a spool. The results are just fine, it's just much more of a pain to handle than, say, HP5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Why does it seem like everyone likes to recommend the epson v-series scanners? I bought one and it's pretty poo poo. (It's was 550, but still, I don't think there's that much difference?)

Example:

V550:

Secret mystery scanning method:

Maybe I'm missing something in those 50 extra v's that I didn't pay for? Or is resolution just not as much of a priority as DMAX to most of the users who recommend it?

Similar experience for me. It's great that I can scan 12 frames at once, but the quality just isn't there.
It probably has to do with those film holders and film flatness.
Been having better results with my dslr and a macro lens.