Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

VomitOnLino posted:

Awesome! It scans very nicely, and should get about all the info there is to get out of most films. I hope you have the holders for it, they seem to be quit expensive on the 'bay. In a pinch I could possibly be convinced to sell you my additional mount holders and adapter ...

But, you can take the auto-feed 35mm bulk scan adapter from my cold dead hands!

Also the original software for it is pants-on-head kind of retarded at times, but I guess that's just par for the course.

No adapters, and I have no idea if it actually works or not. It powers on, but I don't know if there's a way to test it without the adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I decided to spend some money and get some rolls of slide film I had developed to see if i liked shooting it.

Tim-6x7-034.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-033.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-6x7-032.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-35mm-036.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Tim-35mm-035.jpg by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

I need to buy more Ektachrome...

What variant of Ektachrome is it, Panther? Whatever you have looks a bit expired, the first 3 have a reddish look that I got on some of my stuff. I bought a load of rolls a few years back. When you get a good exposure on it, there's nothing like it.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
The first three were 100G that expired in January of this year, the second two were velvia 50. I also shot a roll of 100VS also but the roll was pretty old and wasn't cold stored so it had a ton of red shift.

atomicthumbs posted:

I work at an e-waste recycler. People throw away the strangest things.

My garbage is nowhere near as cool

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

My garbage is nowhere near as cool

Don't be so hard on your photos.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ezekiel_980 posted:

The first three were 100G that expired in January of this year.

Wow, that's a ton of red shift for only 9 months expiration. How was it stored?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wow, that's a ton of red shift for only 9 months expiration. How was it stored?

Freezer, although I just remembered that the camera has a old takamura lens on it that refuses to clear up even when left in sun for two weeks so that is probably causing the color shift.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any time I've shot Ektrachrome I've had to do a bit of colour correction in Photoshop, it doesn't seem to hold up as well as negative film. Do you mind if I throw the first one in PS to see what happens?

Hope you don't mind but:

SUPER quick thing in PS, just brought dragged the red input to the right in the RGB curves. I'd say you could do much more with a little more time.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 26, 2014

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any time I've shot Ektrachrome I've had to do a bit of colour correction in Photoshop, it doesn't seem to hold up as well as negative film. Do you mind if I throw the first one in PS to see what happens?

Hope you don't mind but:

SUPER quick thing in PS, just brought dragged the red input to the right in the RGB curves. I'd say you could do much more with a little more time.

Don't mind at all, these were just as is from the scanner. I should break down and buy a lens without a built in filter.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Freezer, although I just remembered that the camera has a old takamura lens on it that refuses to clear up even when left in sun for two weeks so that is probably causing the color shift.

It took me way longer than two weeks to get the yellow cast out of my Takumars.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Helicity posted:

It took me way longer than two weeks to get the yellow cast out of my Takumars.

How did you do? it I tried sunlight and the ikea lamp for month total and nothing helped at all.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

How did you do? it I tried sunlight and the ikea lamp for month total and nothing helped at all.

Direct light in a window sill, front element facing the sun, a mirror behind the rear element, and 5-6 weeks. I also did it in the late spring when the sun's rays were stronger. Unfortunately no before-after pictures, but it definitely got rid of the yellow tint.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

ape fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 27, 2014

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
couch by PC-P, on Flickr

Tony Two Bapes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 28, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My brother is in NYC so I had him pick me up some Portra 400 at B&H so that I don't have to deal with :canada: shipping costs. And buying a 35mm 5-pack of the stuff costs $79 locally. Pretty excited about it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

BANME.sh posted:

My brother is in NYC so I had him pick me up some Portra 400 at B&H so that I don't have to deal with :canada: shipping costs. And buying a 35mm 5-pack of the stuff costs $79 locally. Pretty excited about it.

Have you considered buying from freestyle? Even after shipping and customs, it's cheaper than local.

I did that recently for 22 rolls of film (portra, ektar, velvia, provia, tmax, arista, etc) and after shipping and taxes (which came out to about $50), it still worked out to about $7.50 per roll.
Locally it's about $9 for a roll of portra/ektar and $13 for a roll of velvia/provia

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Wild EEPROM posted:

Have you considered buying from freestyle? Even after shipping and customs, it's cheaper than local.

I did that recently for 22 rolls of film (portra, ektar, velvia, provia, tmax, arista, etc) and after shipping and taxes (which came out to about $50), it still worked out to about $7.50 per roll.
Locally it's about $9 for a roll of portra/ektar and $13 for a roll of velvia/provia

Yeah, it's a lot cheaper to buy in bulk from certain online retailers vs local, but even still, nothing beats having a family member carry it back to you for free.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Guys, I took an Olympus Pen-D out near an Apple store during the iPhone 6 launch. This is the third time I've developed film and the first roll I ran though the Pen-D. I think I'm starting to get better at processing. I mostly just clip the ends of the histogram and then nudge up the contrast, but I really have no idea if I'm increasing the contrast by too much.

img119 on Flickr

img117 on Flickr

img115 on Flickr

img116 on Flickr

img103 on Flickr

img106 on Flickr

img098 on Flickr

mulls fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 29, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Because I'm a filthy poor I don't have a macro lens... tried throwing a closeup "filter" on my kit lens and shooting against my light box, but this came out looking really poo poo while the negative itself looks really good on the light box and when printed.

I just brought it into RawTherapee, flipped the tone curve, and played with the exposure compensation a little until it looked semi-legible. Please feel free to call me a scrub and tell me how I should have processed it differently.

I'll get my 50mm prime back soon and plan to try it on a reverse ring, see if that looks nicer.

ape
Jul 20, 2009

I like couches too

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

Because I'm a filthy poor I don't have a macro lens... tried throwing a closeup "filter" on my kit lens and shooting against my light box, but this came out looking really poo poo while the negative itself looks really good on the light box and when printed.

I just brought it into RawTherapee, flipped the tone curve, and played with the exposure compensation a little until it looked semi-legible. Please feel free to call me a scrub and tell me how I should have processed it differently.

I'll get my 50mm prime back soon and plan to try it on a reverse ring, see if that looks nicer.

It looks maybe a little better when I photograph the matte side of the film rather than the shiny.

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Yeah, I was having similar results using closeup diopters with a digital camera. The corners didn't have the best sharpness and it's hard to get the backlighting even across the frame compared to using a scanner. It's even worse when you do color film and try to correct for the orange base, even using a bunch of blue gels I still got poo poo color reproduction compared to a scanner. If you can find an old epson on ebay most of them will give you good results. I'm using a 2580.

ape fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 29, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Color actually turned out kind of decent:

I used digiKam, inverted, cropped, and applied auto color correction.

I'd describe it as "no worse than a Walgreens scan", maybe?

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
My changing bag is a fkn nightmare when it is humid and/or hot, I sweat so much and the film will not go onto the reel. Next time I will try putting a box in there (beer carton?) to create a bit more space. Or do I need to just get one of those changing tents? Building a proper darkroom is not an option.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I feel like I'm almost getting the hang of it.

Unfortunate that Raw Therapee doesn't handle inverting very well, and digiKam's interface is pretty crap. Still holding out against paying $10/mo for Lightroom since I'm just a lovely amateur.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think unless you're doing film sizes greater than 4x5, I'd just make the ghetto bag tent, the real ones are stupid expensive.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

deaders posted:

My changing bag is a fkn nightmare when it is humid and/or hot, I sweat so much and the film will not go onto the reel. Next time I will try putting a box in there (beer carton?) to create a bit more space. Or do I need to just get one of those changing tents? Building a proper darkroom is not an option.

I tried the box-in-a-bag thing for A while and found that the box "leaks" heaps of cardboard dust/particles. if you do this maybe try cutting down a plastic box rather than a cardboard one? I'm super glad I got the tent though. Makes life 1000x easier.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
garage2 by PC-P, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Sludge Tank posted:

I tried the box-in-a-bag thing for A while and found that the box "leaks" heaps of cardboard dust/particles. if you do this maybe try cutting down a plastic box rather than a cardboard one? I'm super glad I got the tent though. Makes life 1000x easier.

I just tried it with a cardboard box, wow, massive difference, that was so much easier. I can see how the particles could be a problem but more so with sheet film? With film you are washing them anyway. Will see how this roll turns out anyway.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
Some photo's from Hong Kong I shot with a sprocket rocket

Hong Kong in Sprockets by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Ferrania just started a Kickstarter to fund their new production line and first batch of film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film

First day is over and they've hit 20% already.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 1, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Miike posted:

Some photo's from Hong Kong I shot with a sprocket rocket

Huh, I didn't know about that camera.

... I kind of want one now :ohdear:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

alkanphel posted:

Ferrania just started a Kickstarter to fund their new production line and first batch of film: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/filmferrania/100-more-years-of-analog-film

First day is over and they've hit 20% already.

Man, kickstarter is such a weird thing. At first it was an interesting way to do pre-orders and get products produced that otherwise wouldn't be, but nowadays it just seems like a way for companies to shift their startup capital costs onto the public.

ScotchChrome was pretty cool but not $25 per roll cool. If I'm going to blow that kind of money it better be like loving Aerochrome or something.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I think a large part of the reason they need backing is so that it DOESN'T wind up costing $25 per roll. It's just a goal reward. Dave Bias, who's working with Ferrania, did an interview with Ted Forbes on the Art of Photography and by getting a larger facility, they can make enough film to be cost effective, but not so much that they're losing money. I think it's pretty cool what they're trying to do.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
They're trying to be the Ilford of c41 and e6 and that's cool with me.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's like being an investor, except you have no stake in the company! Donate your money to a profit-generating entity! It's great!

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah I hate the model as well. If they think it is viable as a business to re-start film production then great, make the commercial decision, get the appropriate financing and I will buy your product if it is any good.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
More film choices is always good but $250k seems like not a lot to reclaim and repair that much run down equipment. But whatever, I don't know anything.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
If they made sheet film my wallet would be on fire but meh.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

You could buy a roll film back and shoot some 6x12 slides?

I've backed it, but I hope they get a lot cheaper once it's in full production. As it stands I might as well be paying domestic prices for Provia, which at least I know is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
I just developped my first film. hp5+ with ilfotec hc pushed to 800.
I got mad water stains, how do you get rid of 'em, photoflow? I tried editing them out as best as I could.

Taken with a Nikon FE2 with a lovely 35-105mm f3.5-4.5 nikkor zoom.
Photography is a fun hobby, even though it looks like it's going to be expensive. :argh: