Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

Just ran across this video. The amount of equipment this guy owns to print from 4x5 Velvia. :psyduck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnxxHS6msDE

and he uses it to print some poo poo like a puddle with some leaves in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

akadajet posted:

looks nice on a wall. can't say that about too many of my shots.

have more respect for walls please

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

My darkroom is a little cramped. There's a toilet and shower in it for some reason.

The toilet is for true art

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Never do a "private sale" from an eBay or Amazon listing. Those are scams designed to get you outside of the protections offered by using the official check out system.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

kedo posted:

Hi film thread. I recently came into the possession of an old Nikon FA that, while having had lots of love, is still in pretty good shape. It's about the time of year where I start feeling claustrophobic from being cooped up inside all the time, so I'm using the camera as an excuse to get out in the cold and put my (now half remembered) college photography classes to use. I'm scanning my first couple of rolls as we speak, and boy, I'm rusty at everything.

A couple of questions:

What's a fair price to pay per-roll for developing? My local shop charges $7 per for C-41 which feels like a lot, especially since this batch I got back from them has a not-insignificant number of scratches and some finger prints in the emulsion (thankfully on photos that were poorly exposed anyways). I looked at Citizen's Photo which SMERSH Mouth mentioned higher up on this page... are there any good east coast labs that are similarly priced folks would recommend? $3.75 per roll sounds very affordable, but I'd imagine I'll pay a lot for shipping film all the way across the country which would defeat the purpose of paying less per-roll.

Second, since the scanning thread is archived I'm hoping I can ask some questions here. Is there a way to change the default Epson Scan auto exposure to not to blow out the whites on every single photo? Right now I'm setting my black and white levels to the top/bottom of the curve for each photo before scanning to give myself a lot of extra room to adjust again once I bring it into Photoshop. However it seems silly to have to do it for every single photo and I'm wondering if there's a setting for the default behavior.

You can get around shipping costs by sending largish batches in small boxes. I used to use small flat rate boxes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Or covering it with a hat. I've tossed my beanie over the lens of a camera to block out approaching car headlights many times.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I got exactly 4 negatives with bromide drag in the many years I used stand development. Agitation is dumb and for nerds.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Too bad Tmax3200 was trash.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Tmax 100 is okay.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Also Tri-X pushed to 3200 is better than Tmax 3200 in every way. I mean if the emulsion is a brand new modern design that's good and I'll keep an eye on it but if it's just literally P3200 from the early '00s then lol..

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 23, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

hi liter posted:

I have a Nikon FG already that I enjoy using, but it can be a bit heavy and cumbersome. I want something smaller. Reviews say its about as good as a Contax T2 but for half the price (not trying to drop that much) - just wondering if anyone here had shot with one and could speak to that.

Those reviews are a bit dated. The Klasse S and T2 both go for about the same price on ebay $700-1000 on average. In my opinion you should look into the Hexar AF, unless you need pocketability or hate the 35mm FOV (like a weirdo). You can pick up a decent one of those for around $600.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Aren't all those film P&S cameras pretty much plastic throughout and effectively unrepairable because of it?

I think it's more of a component problem than a material one. If something fails you basically have to buy a parts camera and hope it didn't fail in the same way.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Lol if you think Ektachrome is really gonna happen. They spent all the slide money on buttcoins.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Ilford will be around until B&W film dies for good. Kodak will be around until hollywood stops using vision film stock.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Bromide drag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Helen Highwater posted:

I thought that it could be that, but my understanding is that bromide drag goes downwards, towards the bottom of the tank. These streaks are lengthways along the roll. Am I missing something?

I think you are conflating bromide drag with mechanical surge marks. As far as I know bromide drag is related to the position of the highlights not the film. I've only ever personally gotten it on 4x5 though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

Whats the best bet for BW mystery rolls shot at iso 400-1600 and sitting around for a year or 3?
Rodinol stand development?

Do you have access to diafine?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Putrid Grin posted:

I have some somewhere but it must be 10 years old at this point. Any tips?

Diafine doesn't really age. If it's in powder form it's good forever. That stuffs my goto for mystery rolls, just do the standard 3.5 minutes in each solution and pray you didn't shoot in flat light.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

underage at the vape shop posted:

I've been offered my choice between a nikon F70 or F501, for the price of postage to get it to Brisbane, what one should I pick?

The F501. Neither of these are good cameras but the F70 had a real dumb control scheme. The F501 (N2020 in the US) has standard dials like a manual focus camera.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Ilford and Foma will be the last surviving film manufacturers. If they ever shutter it's over for the the medium. Kodak will be gone the moment Hollywood is done using vision stock.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

If slide film goes extinct, that's the end of the technical apogee of color film photography. At some point, the ability to capture ultra-detailed large format images, with nearly-perfect modern lenses, on the finest color film (velvia 50) will be gone.

This is wrong as gently caress btw. Slide film is in no way the finest film tech, Portra 400 is the the absolute pinnacle of the medium.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
That crab looks like a videogame boss

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

Has anyone here owned a Minolta CLE? I'm trying to find a 35mm camera that gave me the same sense of joy as the X100, and I haven't found it yet. I've tried the Canonet QL17, Contax G1, and Nikon F3. The Nikon got the closest, but it's just too heavy to take with me everywhere.

The camera you are looking for is the Konica Hexar AF. I haven't personally used one but its basucally a film x100.
https://www.cameraquest.com/konhex.htm

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Disheartening to hear about film disappearing.

I've only shot one roll of Portra 800 ages ago, but I do 400 at 800 pretty often and it's great.

No personal experience of it, but I think 800 does better pushed to 1600. That is, Portra 400 is still pretty perfect pushed one stop, but past that you'd do better to start off with 800.

One thing I can't really see is if Portra 800 has it's own 'look' or if it's just Portra 400 with more grain and underexposure lattitude. There might be something more to recommend it if it has a different color response, but I can't tell from looking at other people's final images. Scanning technique and lens coatings probably have more of an influence.

Portra 800 isn't even vaguely Portra 400. The 800 is old tech, it's based on vision 2 stock which P400 trounces up to EI 3200 easily.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

CodfishCartographer posted:

I dig all the Minolta lens chat, anyone have recommendations for Canon FD lenses? I finally fixed up the old Canon AE-1 I've got, and am starting to take it for a spin. Assuming that some of the shutter speeds aren't hosed, I'll probably be looking for some more lenses for it.

Make sure you buy FD lenses from a reputable seller or at least someone that knows how to test them. You need to check the aperture while it's attached to a body or there's no way to see if it actually stops down. That being said most of their primes are decent.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rohan posted:

I can't reshoot without spending a grand in travel :( and I can't crop it either. I only took one frame with the correct composition -- the other frame I took isn't as balanced.

Am I wrong in thinking that dodging during the #5 step would effectively stop the dust from printing without affecting the very light sky, and then printing as normal with the #00 filter would at least reduce the contrast between the dust and the sky?

It's only one stop -- Portra 400 has enough latitude that it won't be a problem.

It's not exactly the pure film experience but you could scan the neg, fix it in PS, then print that out on a transparency and print it in the darkroom.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Velvia 50 a stop underexposed will be very dark. It doesnt sound like much but slide film had no latitude.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The fuji rangefinder series is such a great value because on paper it looks very restricting. One focal length, "slow" f/3.5 lens, no meter, not great minimum focus distance, and of course the least friendly to first time buyers is the fact that it's a rangefinder. The price is further kept down by being not of a brand commonly collected by shelf lords and dentists, if Rollei made a 6x9 rf it'd be half as good and still cost over 1k on the used market easily.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Blackhawk posted:

Surely Kodak wouldn't have recently re-introduced two previously discontinued film stocks if they were going to make a loss by doing so?

Ah yes, Kodak the company known for it's good business choices.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Yep, we pay more for everything. He does seem to have the least expensive color kits in the country though.

You get sane healthcare, we get cheap photo gear and the real Amazon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Looks like hard water to me too but I'm more concerned with whatever you did to the contrast. Which IR filter did you use to make these mediocre trash piles? What are you hoping to gain from using infrared film?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sauer posted:

Aside from the damage to the negatives they look under exposed not over exposed.

IR is pretty contrasty by default. You just aren't going to get the trunks and leaves in one shot on film in the 720nm+ range. The leaves reflect a lot of IR which is why they are super white but the rougher brown trunks absorb it. Drum scans might help pull enough dynamic range out to fix the contrast in post but lol. Your best bet for increased dynamic range is to let in more visible light with a less restrictive filter. A red 25a filter passes 590nm and longer that's very popular and gives you a ton of headroom in post.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Infrared is sometimes counterintuitive, I've been using some form of IR camera everyday for the last six months and I still learn something new everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

President Beep posted:

That's incredibly cool. The composition makes it look like an old painting. The background resembles a painted canvas backdrop because of the haze.

Most people don't know this but many old paintings are also out of focus.