Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I bought my first ever camera today (bigger is better right?) and a roll of Kodak film. I haven't figured out where to plug the film in yet (like a little slot for a tube or something??) but for now it's an awful lot of fun looking through the little TV in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Lambster Bisque posted:

Trolling the film thread really is low :(

There is a fine line between trolling and a joke. :)

I bought that camera though and in place of an actual darkroom for loading the film holder I used a blanket and a furnace room hopefully I didn't just waste $30 on film by not being careful. That is a secret tip for the photography elite.

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 6, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I got my first couple of LF exposures back today and let me tell you I'm just pleased that I didn't fog my film or put 'em in backwards when I was loading the film holder. I'm really very very pleased with how they came out actually and I got to say that I love this camera.

Anyway, I don't have a 4x5 film scanner (I have a friend who does that I will make use of though) so here's a scan from the contact sheet:

and a crop that I think is real cool:

Film's Ilford HP5 Plus

I tilted the back plane (I don't know what to call it) for to get cool "Art Tilt-Shift FX" but like a dumb newbie I didn't check with the lens stopped down so at f32 the effect kind of disappeared. I actually like how it turned out anyway.

Next I will buy some nice slow film and do portraits :)

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Was it a pain to set it up/focus correctly etc etc?

Not really a pain, it's kind of fun. It just takes time. Focusing is not so difficult because, even though there is no focusing screen, the ground glass is big enough that you can tell pretty easily if something is out of focus, it can be pretty hard to see with the lens stopped down though but careful focus is less of an issue at f/32. If you are familiar with taking photos using manual controls and a light meter setting that sort of stuff up shouldn't be an issue.

If I wanted to I could probably have it go from off tripod to taking a photo in five minutes but I figure that there is really no reason to be hasty.

As far as camera movements go I'm still a beginner to LF so I still don't have a good handle on what sort of effects I can get with tilting the lens and film plane and things but I'm picking it up.

Really the only thing is that, once you have the film loaded, you don't have access to the ground glass anymore and it's all a matter of remembering where you're focused and waiting for the perfect moment which, of course, isn't an issue if you're doing pre-planned portraits, or landscapes, or architectural photography, or whatever.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Did a (relatively) low resolution scan of a 4x5 at a buddies place and fiddled with the raw for a bit. I see why people like lightroom and stuff so much I GUESS.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Film measured in millimeters is a waste of time anyway so the point is kind of moot.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

HPL posted:

I just wish there were more places that did colour 120 film around here. Are there any places in Vancouver other than G. King Photo that do 120? More specifically, any that are further out from the city core?

Uh, yeah man there are tonnes. How far away from the city core do you mean? I guess since you mentioned G. King specifically you probably mean South/East Vancouver or the suburbs, in which case I can't help you. In fact, I don't know why I wrote this post. I'm from Vancouver. Vancouver.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
The Lab is more expensive than G. King or your ABC's but they do really good quality professional service and will basically do anything you ask. London Drugs is your best bet for convenience but it is marginally more expensive (a matter of cents) and will take about a week to get your film back and the print and scan quality (if you are concerned with that) can be hit or miss especially with slide.

edit: On the other hand London Drugs will make a towel with your photo on it if you ask them to.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I bought an Epson Perfection 2450 off Craigslist for eighty bucks and, with Vuescan, is basically as good a film scanner as any.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

HPL posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty cool way of acknowledging the people who are pretty much the sole reason your company is still operating.

Well hmmm... Is there anything else Kodak does that's making money these days? Their digital cameras are kind of crap.

Well aside from selling consumer film to the large amount of artists, students, and professional photographers who do still use film for some applications they probably make a fair chunk of their profit from industrial/military imaging and aerial surveillance.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Santa is strapped posted:

I just realized that unused/garbage film strips make for an excellent bookmark!

I use an old bus transfer but good idea ! :)

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Radbot posted:

It seriously won't make a difference. Besides, a pro lab can't do a 1/3rd stop push anyways.

:confused: Yes they can, what would make you think that?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

notlodar posted:

The lab I use does 1/8, so they can't actually do 1/3 :flashfact:

That's unfortunate.

quote:

Oh, sorry. I guess my local lab will only do full stop pushes, and I wrongly extrapolated.

Still, I'd have to question the necessity of a 1/3 or 1/8 (!?) stop push for C-41 film. There's a lot of latitude in them 'thar dyes... and most metering techniques aren't exact enough to require 1/3rd stop accuracy.

There's no real necessity as far as proper exposure goes generally but pushing/pulling C-41 has various effects on the final negative that, when predicted for, can be desirable. For example, I like the granularity and colour shift that you get from pulling Superia 400 to 360.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'd like to shoot on an Automatic 100 if that's feasible.

From the googling I just did you can use that camera with FP-100 but you will have to monkey around with camera settings to get the camera to meter for the proper film speed.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
If you guys were really artists you wouldn't have any food in your fridge anyway.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Nice bourgeois film brands.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
As far as rare film goes Kodachrome is not really all that rare...

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

fronkpies posted:

Well developed my first roll... and it worked perfectly.

Don't know what I was worried about, the hardest part was light proofing my room, I had to wait until dark, hang a blanket that weighed a stupid amount from a flimsy curtain pole, push my mattress up against the door then sit with another blanket over me trying to wind film onto a spool.

Very pleased with the results though, now that the test roll is done, only 6 more to go tonight.

For the future you might consider purchasing a changing bag, which is basically a light proof sack with armholes, so you don't have to lightproof your bedroom every time you want to develop film.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

HPL posted:

Or just buy Tri-X or HP5 and use it for everything since it's about as flexible as film gets. Delta 3200 is crap. You pay a lot of money for worse results than HP5 pushed to 3200.

Just be sure to bring along a Sharpie to mark what speed you shoot your film at.

You say this a lot as if noone should ever want to take a photo that looks different from one taken with TX or HP5. Delta 3200 is more expensive than HP5, given, but saying that it gives worse results is really kind of subjective dude.

edit: and also results vary widely based on the processing too

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2009

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
You actually said: "Delta 3200 is crap. You pay a lot of money for worse results than HP5 pushed to 3200."

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I usually just tape the exposed leader to the ceiling of my shower using painters tape. There is not much floating dust in the bathroom because of the moisture.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

unleash the unicorn posted:

I really love the 4x5 large format Kodachrome gallery over at Shorpy.com. But when I asked myself the question what I loved so much about the pictures, I found it was mostly three things:

1. The detail (no surprise with LF film really)
2. The colors
3. The weird "glow" these pictures seemed to have that made everything look really smooth and matte.

And when I looked more closely, I discovered that they did in fact have a glow effect. It can be seen very well in the "Heavy lifting: 1942" picture.

So, my question is: What caused that glow? (and how can I recreate it for digital pictures?)

It could be a lot of things, most likely it is a result of low resolution/poor scanning. To recreate I would duplicate the layer and apply a gaussian blur then fiddle with blending modes and opacity, though I don't really see the appeal.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

spritely posted:

invaluable infos that aren't 'written' anywhere...

Do you have any examples of this?

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
It's basically the same thing as with black and white, just developing for longer/shorter times. You will get a speed boost obviously but also probably, depending on how far you push, really weird colour shifts.

e: And more grainyness!

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
There is a reason why they have put a "scan a picture" button on pretty much every consumer scanner released in the last ten years

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
It looks like he's using a computer monitor as a light

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
spatial resolution would be a function of a films granularity and the developer/process used. probably the finest grain you could go would be something like kodak tech pan with the appropriate developer. looking back i would imagine ancient film stock wasnt all that sharp as i suspect they would have improved with technology (maybe plates were sharp as hell? i dont know but i doubt it). with things like tech pan mostly retired at this point perhaps we are over the hump of extremely fine grained film stock and we'll just have to settle for tmax 100 for the rest of time :)

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Huxley posted:

Is that a problem that can be mostly fixed with the better holders or is it more a limitation of the scanner itself?

often times you can just get better film holders (eg http://www.betterscanning.com/ )

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Good luck on your quest for hypothetical perfect exposure

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
No way in hell are they only making 500 for that price

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Megabound posted: