Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm interested in any update photos you might have. Just began cycling my own nano-cube 28g CF quad with just two pounds of live rock, so I'm taking the month to read up and make decisions about how I'll want mine to look and run! In the meantime, just trying to figure out why one pump is audibly louder than the other. I'm OCD, I guess.
I had one pump that was way louder than the other on my 150g, my recommendation would be to check and make sure the tank, sump, and pumps are completely level. Mine is level and hard plumbed and neither myself nor my LFS store who came to see (hear) my woes could figure out why one was working so much harder than the other. I finally just threw in a power head to push water towards the lazy one and that seemed to have mostly solved the issue. My 90g luckily is single return, and muuuch easier to diagnose plumbing on.

I had a condylactis anemone die on me this morning. Beautiful blue with neon green tips too. He was kind of a headache, but so gorgeous. He got beat up by one of my bubble tips and took a ride to the filter sock. I quarantined him and tried to get him back but he just kinda.. disintegrated on me.

After having one for so long (almost a year) I do have to say that pretty much everything I read about them was very understated. "Moderate aggression" and "he moves around sometimes" are not at all what I experienced. They need a lot of space, and are 100% predatory anemones. Mine never stayed in the same place for very long, and was a serious hunter. It would come after the tongs to get the krill from across the tank. I never had him eat a fish or kill any coral like I see others have an issue with, but I kept him seriously well fed.

RIP Filter Current Riding Condy!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

As a heads up, you should limit running carbon if you have any Tangs in your tank. Granular activated carbon is linked to HLLE which is pretty nasty.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

My cat regularly sleeps on the glass lid of my eel tank and she's about 5.5lbs, though she's never actively trying to get anything in there, she just likes it as a cat spot.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Just as a heads up, Instant Ocean Reef Salt is part of the Prime Day sale this morning. $46.73 for the 200 gallon box.

http://amzn.com/B0002DJU0G

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

I had two rainbow bubbles in a 30g, but anemones don't need a lot of space at all. The key to stopping the wandering is placement. I have had two in my current 90g reef system, and they have stayed put on their rock for two years now. Place them, give them time to move to where they are happy, and then they shouldn't move as long as you don't change the flow or lights too much.

My question for you guys is what heaters do you use? I have had two of those cheap rod heaters superheat and melt on me recently (they were a year old) and I'm in the market for new ones before the cold comes. (180g FOWLR, and 90g coral)

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

So, my pair of Black Ice clowns have been laying eggs pretty consistently for a while. Always in the same place, and I get two batches a month sometimes. Of course, none have survived in my big tank but I've done a lot of reading on it, and am considering trying to raise the fry. Anyone here tried before? Any particular tips/advice?

Here's a picture of mama!

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Okay guys, a lot of you end up with photos that look great of your tanks. How the poo poo do I take photos of my stuff that don't suck balls? I have an iphone 6 and I feel like every photo looks like a blue blob.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

It's good to know it's not just a me problem. I have heard a lot of things about the clip on lenses, but never actually a link to "this is the one I use on Amazon, it's great!" just photos posted with a disclaimer about using one... so I'm not sure what the hell a lot of them are talking about.

Here are the only good photos I have of my adorable idiots. The nice ones are from when a photographer was at my house to shoot other things and lit my coral tank to take some photos before the lights came on. All of these are from March, except for the one of the solo anemone and the eels. Solo anemone is from the first day I bought it years ago(14 splits and counting!) and the eels are from today.

I have a coral tank, an eel tank (:krakken:), and a FOWLR. It's REALLY hard to get any photos of my fish only tank, those fuckers can move.

My coral tank is the usual fare, though when hobbyists see it they tend to freak over my three goni's and my Ponape Birdsnest. I have a few Jason Fox's and other interesting acros that usually only I give a poo poo about.

My eel tank is a super rad mega structure of rock that four happy eels live in. Here's some pictures of it all built and set up before I moved them all in from what is now my FOWLR:

A close up of her sexy undercarriage :tutbutt:

My FOWLR could use some love. I adore the fish I have in it, but I want more. I'm not sure who to add, or how to spice it up in there. It's a 180 gallon, 6' long. Currently houses:
Stars & Stripes Puffer
Magnificent Foxface
Emperor Angel
Harlequin Tuskfish (Australian)

Any thoughts goons?

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Thanks for the compliments guys! It helps a lot that I live in Orlando with so many great LFS stores nearby!

I used to have a shark and a ray too, traded them to a guy that shops at my store with a beautiful 1000 gallon tank when they grew up.

You wanna talk about tank envy? His reef is INCREDIBLE! I wish I had pictures.

Still seeking any advice or recommendations on the FOWLR additions! I can't make up my mind at all. :(

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

^^
Maybe I need to see one in person? I actually think the normal Achilles is prettier! I've considered an Achilles (they are my husbands favorite) but have heard a lot of horror stories about them. Anyone here have one?

broken clock opsec posted:

Yeah I was looking at dwarf morays the other day and I was like :sigh: someday.

Rallos posted:

Yeah.. Major jealousy going on here too. Ever since I was a kid I always wanted a Moray! Great specimin you have there. :allears:

I have an eel in my coral tank (her name is Joanna) and she does very well! She's a golden dwarf moray, got her at about 4" she's currently about 8" with a usual max size of 10". If you are interested in having an eel, without having to worry about it eating everything, I highly recommend one. I was lucky enough to get her for only $100, they are usually quite a bit more.

Time for some Eel talk! :krakken:

Eels can make great additions to your aquarium life! I'm a little biased because I have 7 of them, but we'll just ignore that and call it "experience." I'll include the scientific names for easier googling, since sometimes the common names are used for multiple species (looking at you, "Spotted Moray").

If you are interested in adding an eel to your tank, there are a few things to consider! Gymnothorax (basically, Eels) and more specifically Muraenidae (Morays) are broken down into two major categories that you would need to consider first as an aquarist: fang toothed, and pebble toothed. Most people when they think of eels think of the Green Moray. The huge, hulking, toothy monsters that have the reputation of tearing fingers off (they can, and will!). They are a perfect example of a fang toothed moray!
Fang toothed morays are ambush predators- they have excellent vision, which they use to watch for prey. These are the fish eaters. Fang toothed morays are usually a red flag to most aquarists due to their large max size, and their ability to comedy murder all of your fish. Those chromis won't stand a chance. The most common fang toothed moray seen in the aquarium trade is the Tessalata Eel (Gymnothorax favagineus). I have one, his name is Nikolai, and he is a monster (a sweet, huge, adorable monster). I have a personal problem with this eel being the usual poster child for fang toothed morays in the home aquairum world, and it's this: they can grow to be 6'. That's SIX FEET. Mine is currently about 5', so he's almost there! Most stores stock eels when they are small, as they are usually wild caught, and don't educate people that they will grow up to be huge monsters. Other common ones that you will see are the Black Edge Moray (Gymnothorax saxicola) max size of 3', though most only grow to be 2, the Jeweled Moray (Muraena lentiginosa) another 2 footer usually, the Whitemouth Moray (Gymnothorax meleagris) with the max size of 4', and the Dragon Moray (Enchelycore pardalis) which are bomb rear end mother fuckers who grow to be 3-4' and you will wish you had one as soon as you google that, god drat. Because of their excellent vision, once they learn who you are (yes, they can see you through the glass) they will begin to "greet" you and "ask" for things!
Pebbled toothed morays are usually the more common eels in the trade, and are widely considered to be "reef safe" because of their calmer nature and that they won't eat all your fish... they will however eat any invert you put in that tank. Pebble toothed morays are easily distinguishable from their fang toothed brothers because of their round, stumpy, stout faces. With poor vision, they usually hide in the day, and root around for crabs and other delicious inverts to crush under their unforgiving molars at night. Common pebble toothed morays in the trade are the Snowflake Eel (Echidna nebulosa) growing to 2-3', the Chain Moray (Echidna catenata) usually only 2', the Barred Moray (Echidna polyzona) again 2', and the Zebra Eel (Gymnomuraena zebra) which will grow to 5'. Easy to care for, and easy to pair up with other eels, you could fill a tank with pebble toothed eels and rarely have an issue.

The next thing to consider after type, is size. These animals can get BIG, and need specific food, tank space, and care. If you are seeking a small, friendly addition to your reef life, I again can not recommend the Golden Dwarf Moray enough! PLEASE make sure that the animal you are getting is a Golden DWARF Moray (Gymnothorax melatremus) with a max size around 10 inches, and not the Golden Moray (Gymnothorax miliaris) which has a max size of two feet. Miliaris can be sold at a very young age, and are sometimes marketed as the dwarf eel by idiots or jerks, depending on the store. The easiest way to tell the difference is with the eyes. Melatremus usually have blue eyes, though sometimes not, and the pupils are always long, like a cats (example). Miliaris usually have yellow eyes, with a round pupil (example). If you want something a little bigger, my next recommendation would be a snowflake eel. Usually only growing to two feet, they can join in on reef tank fun if the tank size is adequate. A very bare minimum of 60 gallons (long, not square) with plenty of rock would give it a happy life, but I personally would not put one in any tank under 120 gallons, to be nice to it and it's tank mates. Most eels require technically very little space. They usually pick a cave, make it their home, and rarely move from it. The biggest thing to consider is if the eel should move from its cave, would it have enough space to "stretch out and swim" at it's maximum size?

Eels are usually very easy to care for, and can actually be trained! Make sure you have a tight fitting lid and overflow covers, lest you want to find your eel in your filter socks, sump, or somewhere in your kitchen. They can survive quite a long time outside of water thanks to their mucus layer, and will slither around trying to get back to water and end up in weird places. Don't let that happen by putting a lid on your tank.

I guess my last piece of advice is don't buy a ribbon eel.

If I didn't cover something or created more questions, feel free to ask me!

Mudcrab Merchant fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 4, 2015

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

$150 is not that bad of a price, especially if she's already eating frozen. Enjoy your eel buddy! I love all of my cuddly water snakes!

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Mine eats mostly scallops (they are her favorite), which chunk up really nicely with just your fingers into smaller bits. Are you target feeding with tongs/rod? You'll want to make sure you do that to help prevent any food aggression or confusion later down the line. The ends of my tongs are painted, so my eels only eat from their color (most of the time). You can also train them to swim up PVC pipes with the edges painted in their color to facilitate easier feedings!

Make sure you stay away from any cop piled treatments in the water or food, and you should be fine!

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Buy fresh, portion, freeze.

My eel foods consist of shrimp, scallops, conch, crab, squid, and some sort of saltwater fish meat. Usually whatever is on sale (right now it's swordfish chunks). I cut em all up in the sizes I need for who eats what, put them in baggies, and then freeze em till I need em. I add garlic and several vitamins when thawing.

I recommend always freezing fresh seafood to make sure you kill any potentially harmful parasites or bacteria.

As far as size.. Mine is in my 90g and it seems almost overkill until I see her out and moving around. I would say with sufficient live rock, you could probably get away with a 30g and still provide a good life for them.

Remember with a smaller tank to keep an eye on your parameters, they are messy eaters and can have a serious impact on your nitrates.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

That breaks my heart! Tell them to put at least a pvc pipe in there, sweet lord! We used clear pvc in the education tanks at seaworld so the kids could still see them, if that's the stores concern.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Huh. I was taught that after 4 hours you risk loss of life due to the lack of oxygen exchange.

I'm a little less freaked out about my power going out now!

Eel buddy! What did you name it?!

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

My bubble tips have never really been bubbly. Always a bit more noodly. They park right where the two power heads churn around and they seem to love it there, since I keep getting more anemone babies out of it to sell.. But I know flow effects their bubbly nature. I don't really worry about it anymore.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

I have bought a few of the Hanna checkers, and all of them have been absolute garbage. Two didn't even work out of the box and they required me to pay shipping to send the defective one back AND for the replacement.

Garbage customer service, garbage product, just.. garbage.

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Have any of you ever sold a tank? I have a 6 foot long 200g tank that I think I would like to sell, but have no idea where to start. Its been running for years, but all the livestock except for three fish have been moved to new systems, and I just don't have the funds to really make this tank what I want. (I'm in central Florida, in case anyone gets excited by the idea, haha)

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

I missed all the eel talk! I currently own 4 big babies, and they certainly are a favorite whenever anyone visits! I had a golden dwarf for a few years in my coral tank, but she ended up with a horrible stomach abscess and even having a marine vet nearby.. nothing we could do.

Here's my eel tank my four jerks live in:

I uhh.. I should really take more pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

I have had excellent success in one of my tanks that got aiptasia with a file fish.. have you tried that before you gut the whole thing?

• Locked thread