Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've kept freshwater tanks for a long time now, and in recent years they have started multiplying like crazy (up to 7 running tanks). Lately I've been itching to expand into saltwater, and now I find myself with an empty 40g breeder. I've got so many fish only tanks on the FW side that FOWLR doesn't really appeal to me, so I think I'm going to dive in and start off with a reef tank.

I understand that saltwater setups, reef in particular, can be a black hole of gear and money. I'm hoping to ease into things, and to start off will only be keeping soft corals and LPS with minimal lighting requirements, and 2-3 fish. I've got an old t5 ho 2 bulb fixture I think will work well enough for lighting. I will be drilling the tank in the next week or two, and am planning a 20g long sump/refugium. I won't be running a skimmer right off the bat, and am using that money towards an RO/DI unit instead.

I'm definitely still in the planning stages, so any advice or suggestions are welcome. Ideally I'd like to get everything setup and started cycling by mid-Decemberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up this overflow box, and will be running a single 1" drain down to the sump. Haven't decided yet if I should do 1 or 2 returns, leaning towards one though. If I don't go with a refugium or skimmer right away, should I just fill the sump with live rock? Figure that should be easy enough to move out if I need to make the room for more equipment.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks Wandering Orange, Herbie seems to be the way to go. I assume since I'll be drilling the side and not the bottom, that I should just do two holes side by side, with one 90° elbow facing down for the main siphon, and one 90° elbow facing up for the emergency?

I think you're right about the refugium too. I just blocked off some stuff in a 20L and it would definitely be too cramped. Should I run a filter sock or anything, or just use the sump as extra volume until I'm able to add a skimmer?

e: This 48" Hamilton Aruba Sun 2 is the light fixture I've already got. Any recommendations on which bulbs I should pick up?

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 17, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

There is actually a pretty good saltwater fish store within 6 blocks of my house that opened a year ago. I've been going there for my freshwater needs, but 2/3 of his business is on the salt side. I'm sure the owner would be fine with letting me try out bulbs, so that is an awesome idea.

I'm trying not to spend too much up front, so I'm probably going to go with dry rock and a long cycle. I was planning to just start with ammonia and let it go for 6-8 weeks. My first fish will for sure be a pair of ocellaris clowns, longer term I'm thinking midas blenny, carpenters flasher wrasse, firefish, banggai cardinal, maybe royal gramma. Not so sure about the corals yet, still have a lot of research to do on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So I was digging through some boxes yesterday, and discovered an old 600watt HPS ballast and reflector hood that a buddy gave me a few years back. The ballast says it can run metal halide bulbs. Is 600w going to be way too big for a 40b tank? Looking around on BRS, it seems that most MH bulbs they carry top out at 400w.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Yeah 600W would cook your tank. Save it for 'tomatoes'...

With your fish list, you will want to look into building a screen top as the blenny, wrasse, firefish, and gramma are all potential carpet surfers. Screen top is easy if you drill for the return plumbing and don't have anything else hanging over the edge; otherwise, you need to get creative with inside corners. Notches in the screen frame for powerhead cords will be needed regardless.

Hah, well my buddy used it for 'tomatoes', but since I can't use it for my reef tank I might use it for actual tomatoes. Thinking about a hydroponic system that draws from the sump on my 55g fw community tank. But that's a subject for another thread. Suppose I'll just save my pennies for a nice LED setup down the line.

Will definitely be adding a screen before any livestock goes in. Learned my lesson on jumpers on the FW side of things. It's not fun finding your 13" 5 year old Oscar laying in the middle of the living room floor.

e: drat, the more I research the more I feel the urge to spend some serious $$$. RO/DI, skimmer, media reactors, ATO systems, wave makers, ATS, the list goes on.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 18, 2014

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

There is a dude selling a Maxspect Razor 20.5" 16K LED for $250 shipped on Reef Central. Get that if you can. Awesome light that retails for like $420.

Could you send me a link to that? I'm looking around but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Here ya go. I have two over my 48x30x19 and they're great. I was planning on buying this one as a third but instead I just got the 120 degree lenses. Good deal though.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2443872&highlight=maxspect+razor

Huh, apparently new members can't access whichever forum that is in. Guess that's why I couldn't find it anywhere!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Still progressing on my SW plans. Picked up a used Eheim 1260 return pump for $50, and after a long vinegar bath it looks and runs good as new. Overflow arrived over the weekend, and I'm hoping to drill the tank and get that installed this week. Instead of making my own sump, I'm grabbing a 30g 3 chamber sump from my LFS for about the same price I was going to pay for a 20L bare tank. Also ordered a refurb Spectra Pure RODI this evening.

I think all I'm needing hardware wise at this point would be a pump or two to create flow in the tank. Anyone have experience with the Jebao rw-4?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

LordHop posted:

I have the Jebao wp10 and love it.
Seriously considering buying their doser after the holiday.

Cool, I think I'll go ahead and pick one up. In a 40B do you guys think one pump plus the return would be enough flow, or should I grab a second while I'm at it? The idea of linking two for the wave making function is pretty intriguing.

Also, anyone have a recommendation for an auto top off unit?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What are you guys running for substrate? Seems like there are a ton of choices out there. I don't really care for the bare bottom look, but I'm having a hard time deciding what type of sand to go with.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked out the rock for my 40b today. I'm hoping to get everything set up this weekend.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I got the tank plumbed and setup on Saturday, but I wasn't happy with how the overflow worked during my emergency tests. Today after work I drained the tank and cut out the slim overflow box, and siliconed in a deeper one to accommodate some extra pvc. I shredded my fingertips yesterday from doing the rockwork over and over again until it was completely stable, so I'm glad I was able to swap that out without completely tearing down the tank again.

IMG_1010.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

IMG_1015.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

IMG_1016.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

IMAG0346.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

So much for sticking to a budget on this build. Was planning to hold off on a skimmer for a while, but last night I ordered a Reef Octopus 110int. I think I'm set on gear for a while, I hope at least!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Tank is 10 days into cycling now. I have been seeding with a tiny bit of flake food each day, so far I am getting ammonia readings of right around 1.0, but no nitrites have shown up yet. Thinking I might grab a bit of live rock to throw in the sump and speed things along somewhat.

I also got my quarantine 10g tank set up. Picked up a seeded sponge filter from my LFS, and brought home a pair of percula clowns. They've been eating LRS "Reef Frenzy" at the store, so I'll be continuing them on that. They have quite the appetite!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my skimmer and ATO set up yesterday, everything seems to be working great so far. The clownfish love begging for food, so I took advantage of that to take some pics.

DSC_8888.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_8870.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

After weeks of seeing no movement on the cycle, I'm finally getting heavy nitrite readings and detectable nitrates. Hopefully it will be done in a few more weeks now. I also picked up a hi fin goby and tiger pistol shrimp, and added them to the quarantine tank with my two clowns. My plans for a final stock list are:

2 clowns
1 hi fin goby
1 tiger pistol shrimp
1 royal gramma
1 sailfin blenny
1 banggai cardinal
1 fairy wrasse (maybe? unsure if 40g will work out)

Plus whatever various snails and crabs I get for CUC.

Sound good?

e: forgot the blenny!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 10, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I actually meant the carpenters flasher wrasse, but sounds like they are both too much for a 40g anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hit the one month mark on the cycle, and still not quite there yet. Ammonia has dropped to zero, but still have quite a bit of nitrite. Hopefully those drop off over the next week or so, and I'll get a clean up crew started. Took a few shots of the tank, and the hair algae that is cropping up.

DSC_8908.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_0018.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_0046.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, tank is cycled and I've got a handful of hermit crabs and nerite snails in there doing their thing now. Next weekend I should be able to move my quarantined fish in, and then start to think about picking up another fish or two to keep that QT going.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my 2 clownfish, the hi-fin goby, and the pistol shrimp out of quarantine and into the display now. Everyone seems to be doing great so far.

Today I picked up a banggai cardinal, firefish goby, royal gramma and bi-color blenny. All are in quarantine for the next month, and I think I'm done stocking fish at this point.

Also, ordered an mp40 after the price drop, and might be picking up a DIY led fixture from of the LFS guys. Can't believe how much I've spent on sw stuff in the last few months, drat!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

For that price you weren't feelin' the new Maxspect Gyre?

I think I might be pulling the trigger on the smaller version in the next couple of weeks.

The current gyre is too big for my 40b, and I really like the motor/cord being on the outside of the tank. Really interested in how the smaller one pans out, I may end up switching over.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wandering Orange posted:

Credit card data breach at Bulk Reef Supply. No official notice or timeline yet though, just word of mouth from locals.

drat, glad I've used paypal when buying there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reef Breeders Photon 32 is on the way, gently caress this hobby!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Quarantine tank has paid off already, discovered ich on my royal gramma last night. This morning my bi-color blenny was flashing, but no spots on him yet. I think I'm going to try the tank transfer method to treat, rather than cupramine. Anyone else tried it before?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Went to a big fish swap today, and came home with a dozen frags for my tank! Will get some pics up before too long, can't wait to get them into my display.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Dude be careful putting all those new frags in at the same time. Both times I've had tank crashes, I'm 90% sure it had to do with adding too many frags at once after Reefapalooza. Granted I had like 20 frags. I used Revive coral dip on all the pieces.

Thanks for the heads up. I've got them in a quarantine tank now. I think I'll only introduce 1-2 at a time and spread it out over the next few weeks.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Back at the beginning of the year, I posted shots of my empty tank while it was cycling. I've been adding a bunch of corals over the past six weeks, so figured I'd show some pics of the work in progress.

reef tank at 5 months by meramsey, on Flickr

acan frag by meramsey, on Flickr

zoa by meramsey, on Flickr

sunny d zoa by meramsey, on Flickr

welsophilia brain coral by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_9270.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_9256.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

frogspawn coral by meramsey, on Flickr

zoas by meramsey, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ruby idiot railed posted:

That ReefBreeder Photon 32 looks hot as hell. Nice shots!

e: so the tank is a 40b, painted one side, drilled, and siliconed in an overflow box?

Thanks! I'm still running that photon32 at about 65% blue and 50% white max, not sure if I'll go higher as the corals seem to like it as is so far. And yeah, I drilled 2 1" drain lines and a 3/4" return line in the back, with a overflow siliconed in to cover the main drain. I didn't have room to cram the emergency drain in too, so it's over to the right, with a screen on it to keep critters out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My only real regret is not going with a 60g rimless cube. The actual tank was the cheapest part of the whole build.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Your tank looks great Enos.

I've GOTTA get me a nice brain but some of the prices for the brighter stuff here in So Cal are getting insane. $400? $500? How about gently caress you.

I actually traded a bucket of 100 assassin snails for the brain coral. :coolfish:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Couple of macro shots of the wellso and an acan lord. I think I might have to pick up some filters for my camera so I can capture the fluorescence.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

visuvius posted:

Great shots. Mind posting a quick blurb about what you're shooting with and some quick tips? I haven't got a macro lens but I do have a 60D with a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I've also got a Canon 50 1.8 but I'm guessing thats not the lens to use. For fun I got a macro extender tube on Amazon for like $15. Obviously not as nice as an actual macro lens but I got some decent pics out of it.

Thanks! I'm using a Nikon D7k with a Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 macro lens on those. For lighting I try to get the room as dark as possible, and then turn my tank lights up higher than usual. I've also got that same Tamron 17-50, and used it for the shots I posted further up the page. I'd think it would work pretty well with some $30 extension tubes. I've actually got some on hand, so I might take a few pics later to see how that turns out. Your 50 1.8 might be pretty awesome with a reversing ring too, definitely another cheap option to check out.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice shots visuvius, love the tank!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Are you able to level that stand out with shims? I doubt a tank that size it would cause any structural problems, but seeing that water line every day would drive me nuts.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My tank is currently going through a green hair algae bloom. I'm running GFO and manually removing what I can, but I decided to pick up a blue tuxedo urchin to help out. That little bastard is a green hair algae eating machine! In just a few days he's almost completely cleaned half the rock in my tank.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

As I sit here, looking at my urchin, who's wearing GHA as a hat.

Hah, mine is doing a bit of that as well. When I picked him up at the store, he was wearing the skeleton of another urchin as a hat. :black101:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm pretty new into saltwater, but I'd always heard you want at least a 6 foot tank for pretty much any tang.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Neitherman posted:

Alright, in that case I'll probably amend my livestock plans to include more small critters. I know I want at least a pair of clowns.

I just picked up a SpectraPure RODI unit but it didn't come with a TDS meter so I grabbed this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EHAZGW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Anyone here any experience with this brand? Amazon reviews were good so I assume it will be accurate enough for my purposes.

I use the same one on a SpectraPure 90, and it works great. I'd also highly recommend an auto-shut off kit. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/auto-shut-off-kit-for-reverse-osmosis-systems.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Neitherman posted:

I'm definitely going to start automating things a lot once I get my tank up and running so I'll keep this in mind.

I got mine less for automation, more for peace of mind that my basement isn't going to flood because I forgot to turn off the tap when making RODI water.

Here's a pic of my urchin doing his thing. That rock was pretty much completely covered a few days ago.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread