Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Whether or not it will be mentioned in the film, but the director has said that, in the universe of the 2014 film, the 1954 Godzilla film was made as a result of an actual encounter with Big G.

Are you maybe referring to this quote?

quote:

“The way I tried to view it was to imagine Godzilla was a real creature and someone from Toho saw him in the 1950s and ran back to the studio to make a movie about the creature and was trying their best to remember it and draw it. And in our film you get to see him for real.”
That was said in regards to the creature design process of the new Godzilla for the movie - basically a convoluted way to say the Godzilla in his movie will be very much inspired by the 1954 design, but feel like a real creature. I'm pretty sure it's not something that is actually supposed to have happend in the movie's universe.

westborn fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Can anybody tell me a recent movie (possibly TV show) where one of the characters is wearing the smiley face badge from Watchmen? I remember talking to my brother recently about it and am now watching the movie but cannot remember what I saw it in.

edit: Forgot about the identify this movie thread, posted there but leaving it up here in case.

yoohoo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 4, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Schweinhund posted:

"Z word" for non limeys :911:

Zed's dead, baby.

Why is 'zed' a word for the letter 'z' anyway? That's so weird. I didn't even know about that until I was 30.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

effectual posted:

Zed's dead, baby.

Why is 'zed' a word for the letter 'z' anyway? That's so weird. I didn't even know about that until I was 30.

It's what the rest of the world calls it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
The thing I never understood is why everyone writes zed out. It's Z. We don't write Zee in merica.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

effectual posted:

Zed's dead, baby.

Because the letter is a direct descendant of the Ancient Greek letter zeta.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Edit: never mind, I'm wrong.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So there was Blackenstein and Blackula, but was there ever a blaxploitation sasquatch/yeti/bigfoot movie?

schwenz posted:

The thing I never understood is why everyone writes zed out. It's Z. We don't write Zee in merica.
Because unless you spell it out, since everyone assumes every English-speaking Internet person is American, everyone just reads it as "zee".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TetsuoTW posted:

So there was Blackenstein and Blackula, but was there ever a blaxploitation sasquatch/yeti/bigfoot movie?

Big Black Foot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Because unless you spell it out, since everyone assumes every English-speaking Internet person is American, everyone just reads it as "zee".

This doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that British people read "Z" and assume an American is typing it, and mentally pronounce it as "Zee?"

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

TetsuoTW posted:

No.
Everyone that is not American writes out Zed because they want to draw attention to the fact that they are not American and are butthurt that Americans don't pronounce it the way they do.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

schwenz posted:

No.
Everyone that is not American writes out Zed because they want to draw attention to the fact that they are not American and are butthurt that Americans don't pronounce it the way they do.

People are still saying "butthurt" on the internet?

Yeah everyone except Americans say "zed". I don't recall really seeing it written out that way very often, though.

Pointing out surface, minor differences between countries is not really very interesting. On a completely unrelated topic, what's up with Americans not using the metric system?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

schwenz posted:

No.

People don't tend to write out zed unless there's a good reason, and drawing America's attention to it isn't a good reason. Nobody cares that much.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

People are still saying "butthurt" on the internet?

Yeah everyone except Americans say "zed". I don't recall really seeing it written out that way very often, though.

Pointing out surface, minor differences between countries is not really very interesting. On a completely unrelated topic, what's up with Americans not using the metric system?

Laziness. Miles/km doesn't really change much for day to day use (it's 30 miles away/it's 40 km away, whatever) except if you talk temperature, then F is a lot more usable than C. (Also why is C both "Celsius" and "Centigrade"?) And how can brits chastize Americans when they still use stones for weight?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I kinda wish the British had never switched over to a decimal system for their money. I like the idea of a monetary system where your need to understand fractions to use it.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Pointing out surface, minor differences between countries is not really very interesting.

Yeah, basically. Everyone knows what letter you're referring to when you say it either way so discussing which is the 'right' way seems kind of odd.

Our money system sucks because it can't be reduced to infinitely smaller and smaller sub-monies a-la Bitcoin, and that sounds like a hilarious thing to do. I want to buy cheap poo poo at a charity store for .1026 pence or something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

effectual posted:

except if you talk temperature, then F is a lot more usable than C.

Seriously? 0-100 for freezing/boiling makes way more sense than 30 and whatever.

penismightier posted:

I think part of it is timing, it's happening with all the movie monsters now - "Lycans."

First movie I saw this in was "Underworld" and I thought they were saying lichens. So it sounded like werewolves were made of moss or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dr_Amazing posted:

Seriously? 0-100 for freezing/boiling makes way more sense than 30 and whatever.

The argument is that the dominant use of temperature in human lives is in preparing to encounter the outdoor environment (what should I wear, are the roads going to be bad, etc.) rather than detecting whether water is going to boil or freeze (I use a whistle to tell if my water is hot enough to make tea, not a thermometer), and it's more intuitive for the measure of the environment to map to 0 to 100 instead of -20 to 40. That said, an educated person should be comfortable using either.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dr_Amazing posted:

For standard temps that most people encounter day to day, Fahrenheit is better. 0 is generally the coldest that people are likely to encounter, 100 the hottest. Anything beyond those two numbers are seriously fuckng cold or seriously loving hot. It's a nice, intuitive base 10 scale. 38 C doesn't have the same significance as 100, not does -14 compared to 0. 0 C is a balmy winter's day here in the Midwest

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fahrenheit is for retard children, hth.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Fahrenheit is for retard children, hth.

R u a razor blade b/c you are edgy as hell

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sir Kodiak posted:

The argument is that the dominant use of temperature in human lives is in preparing to encounter the outdoor environment (what should I wear, are the roads going to be bad, etc.) rather than detecting whether water is going to boil or freeze (I use a whistle to tell if my water is hot enough to make tea, not a thermometer), and it's more intuitive for the measure of the environment to map to 0 to 100 instead of -20 to 40. That said, an educated person should be comfortable using either.

Living in a country that gets winter this reasoning doesn't seem any more intuitive unless one has a big problem with negative numbers. Freezing is really important when you need to be on the alert for ice, snow, and frostbite, so basing the scale around that works very well.

Edit: Jesus, this is the General Movie thread. What the hell are we all talking about.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lobok posted:

Living in a country that gets winter this reasoning doesn't seem any more intuitive unless one has a big problem with negative numbers. Freezing is really important when you need to be on the alert for ice, snow, and frostbite, so basing the scale around that works very well.

Sure, but the ground won't freeze in 0° C weather, and the less-intuitive demarcation for Celsius is the upper end anyways. Ultimately, to use a scale you want to get a feel for it, and that can be done for any of them. The point is that the argument for the 0-100 scale was that that range mapping to freezing/boiling "makes sense", but that's an appeal to human intuition, and the boiling point of water at one atmosphere is a nonsensical thing to use as an anchor for that. It's like promoting metric units on the basis of how easy conversion is: you don't need an intuitive mechanic for something that almost nobody has to do in their head.

I'm trying to recall, does this issue come up in movies? I can't remember the last time I heard a movie character comment on the weather in terms of specific degrees. Miles get used a lot, does that seem weird to foreigners who watch American movies? When they do subtitles or dubs, do they switch it out for metric units?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, but the ground won't freeze in 0° C weather, and the less-intuitive demarcation for Celsius is the upper end anyways. Ultimately, to use a scale you want to get a feel for it, and that can be done for any of them. The point is that the argument for the 0-100 scale was that that range mapping to freezing/boiling "makes sense", but that's an appeal to human intuition, and the boiling point of water at one atmosphere is a nonsensical thing to use as an anchor for that. It's like promoting metric units on the basis of how easy conversion is: you don't need an intuitive mechanic for something that almost nobody has to do in their head.

I'm trying to recall, does this issue come up in movies? I can't remember the last time I heard a movie character comment on the weather in terms of specific degrees. Miles get used a lot, does that seem weird to foreigners who watch American movies? When they do subtitles or dubs, do they switch it out for metric units?

Wait, so "The boiling point of water at one atmosphere" is nonsensical, but "the temperature of a mix of ice, salt and ammonium chloride" and "The temperature of Fahrenheits wifes armpit" is a perfectly sensible way of defining a temperature scale?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SiKboy posted:

Wait, so "The boiling point of water at one atmosphere" is nonsensical, but "the temperature of a mix of ice, salt and ammonium chloride" and "The temperature of Fahrenheits wifes armpit" is a perfectly sensible way of defining a temperature scale?

No, but I now what 70 feels like and I know what 80 feels like, but I have no clue what 21 and 26 feel like relative to each other.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
stfu

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Someone claimed Celsius was preferable because it "makes sense". I'm suggesting it actually doesn't tie particularly well to things that it's useful to have human intuition for. I'm arguing against a particular argument for Celsius. This does not require a positive argument in favor of Fahrenheit.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Does anyone know the exact Celsius temperature at which paper ignites? No? I rest my case.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Celsius and Kelvin are better for science, Fahrenheit is better for knowing what to wear, Rankine is only useful if you're a self loathing engineer in the USA.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The color temperature of lights is measured in Kelvin so it's probably the only kind of temperature that has any relevance in this thread, Jesus.

Edit:

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is an interesting question, though. I have seen movies where they have miles in the subtitles even though what was said was in metric. I've also seen films that, when they mention currencies, they convert it to dollars.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 6, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Kodiak posted:

That said, an educated person should be comfortable using either.

That's why America can't switch to metric.

BOOM! Queue up your iceburn and masterstroke images, lads.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's why America can't switch to metric.

BOOM! Queue up your iceburn and masterstroke images, lads.

This implies that the English are the only educated people though.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

These temperature debates keep coming up on CineD(?), but seriously, are all of y'all actually pretending that you didn't already have a favourite temperature scale and now you're just making up reasons to support it?

Literally nobody ever sat down and made an educated choice about which temperature scale to use and then stuck with it. You grew up with one of the two, therefore it's more "intuitive" and "useful," and now you're not going to switch, let's be honest here.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

DetoxP posted:

These temperature debates keep coming up on CineD(?), but seriously, are all of y'all actually pretending that you didn't already have a favourite temperature scale and now you're just making up reasons to support it?

Literally nobody ever sat down and made an educated choice about which temperature scale to use and then stuck with it. You grew up with one of the two, therefore it's more "intuitive" and "useful," and now you're not going to switch, let's be honest here.

Well Celsius has the simplicity of "water freezes at 0, boils at 100". Still neither is really that more intuitive or useful but it would be straightforward if everyone used the same one - there are only a few places that still use Fahrenheit (US, Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands and Palau) and it would be easier if they switched.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CD stands for Converting Degrees apparently

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Celsius and Kelvin are better for science, Fahrenheit is better for knowing what to wear, Rankine is only useful if you're a self loathing engineer in the USA.

If you are unable to figure out what to wear based on some degree, regardless if its celsius or fahrenheit, you're pretty dumb. It's super easy to know whether the weather is hot or cold. Fs.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Well Celsius has the simplicity of "water freezes at 0, boils at 100". Still neither is really that more intuitive or useful but it would be straightforward if everyone used the same one - there are only a few places that still use Fahrenheit (US, Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands and Palau) and it would be easier if they switched.

America might as well be half the drat world, influentially.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

America might as well be half the drat world, influentially.

Well obviously the US is a huge world superpower and exerts massive cultural influence but that doesn't hold true for this example at all. Like in a country where Celsius is the dominant temperature like 99% of people wouldn't have a clue about Fahrenheit, even if they might mostly watch American TV/movies and follow US politics.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lol at americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

schwenz posted:

No.

the whole stupid argument came up because people were talking about film dialogue. so yeah that's why people automatically considering pronunciation.

i've never see that WWZ film. does anyone actually say "world war zee" and or "world war zed" in it? the former seems more fitting with the hints of "world war three" there