Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Faces of Death series counts I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Death of the artist, yo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Just watched Deliverance for the first time and there was a shot I was curious about. It's maybe 20-30 minutes into the movie, they're on the river in their canoes and they go under a bridge. The banjo kid is standing on the bridge and the shot starts on the upriver side of the bridge, looking up at the kid, goes under the bridge, swiveling as it goes so you are looking at the bridge from the downriver side. Easy enough. But then the shot elevates and you're looking down at the bridge. So the camera moves in essentially a J shape motion where the bridge is in the bowl of the J. Seems like a crane shot would be tricky to pull off on the river, but not sure how else it might have been done.

Wish I could find a video of the scene but not having any luck.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Just watched Poltergeist for the first time in 20-some years. Directed by Tobe Hooper my rear end, this was at least a co-director situation with Spielberg right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Really interesting. Tough to disguise his style though and some shots (like where the parents kiss before the mom goes into the closet to rescue Carol Ann) it was just obvious it had to be Spielberg.

Was he similarly involved with on-the-set stuff for Gremlins or was that all Joe Dante?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, it's not just the direction. Poltergeist is so clearly post-fatherhood Spielberg trying to make up for his Close Encounters sins of abandoning family for passion.

Curiously, though, it's the mom who rescues the children every time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_f0UKwCNwg

What does Terry Crews' character mean with this one-liner?:
A) Remember me during Christmas time, because I should definitely deserve Christmas gifts for saving all of you. If you were already buying gifts for me, you should increase your budget.
B) Remember this automatic shotgun during Christmas time, because this is a great weapon and you would want it as Christmas gift to yourself. Or put it on your wishlist to Santa.

I think A

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Timby posted:

I don't know about that. My freshman year of college was in 2002, and all my roommate and his friends could talk about was Fight Club and Boondock Saints.

You're absolutely right and that statement should be amended to late teens - early 20s dudes. Definite oversight not to include 18 and 19 year olds.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Lobok posted:

Drunken Master 2 always felt weird because while Jackie Chan is younger than his father's actor it's only by eight years and judging by looks it's not actually clear who's older. And he's nine years older than his step-mom's actor. Both of which might not be all that weird but Chan also plays Wong Fei-hung like he's a teen or twenty-something and he is clearly anything but.

Forget it Lobok, it's Chinatown.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Honestly it reminds me of Z. Cavaricci clothing from that era

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Timby posted:

Terminator 3 isn't bad, it's just ... very aggressively mediocre, in large part because it's essentially a remake of Terminator 2. But it has good aspects to it. Nick Stahl and Claire Danes are generally very good, Beltrami's score is good, some of the set pieces are excellent. Unfortunately, there are some really, really bad attempts at humor that don't land and Kristanna Loken is a black hole of charisma.

There's also a bit with Arnold hammering the poo poo out of a truck hood, just pounding his fists into it over and over again, and he has the doofiest loving stare as it's happening.

The thing about 3 that really grates on me is how the terminators quip at each other. Why are they making jokes? In T2 I think the only time they ever talk to each other is the phone scene where they're both pretending to be someone else. Beyond stupid that Arnold is making dad jokes to a murder robot that's trying to murder him.

The ending is pretty good though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

SimonCat posted:

So, the movie Orca came out in 1977 and was a rip off of Jaws. To show how dangerous the Orca is, the movie opens with an Orca killing a great white shark. Jaws 2 came out in 1978 and features a dead Orca that was killed by the film's great white shark.

It's funny and a little petty.

Are there any other examples of this type of tit for tat in movies?

Not sure if it's quite the same -- Twin Peaks was cancelled following season 2 and David Lynch was not happy with how the network had forced him to reveal the killer - he blamed that for the poor S2 ratings. Accordingly, the first shot of his next film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a television being destroyed with an axe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

We Hate Movies is my personal favorite, really great chemistry among the cast and there's a laugh out loud moment at last once per episode. The Pet Sematary ep is a good entry point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Film Junk is a great podcast and is one of the oldest podcasts around. It's got great chemistry between the hosts and starts away from the politics that We Hate Movies delves into since they're Canadian.

WHM's politics consists of "lol @ incels" and "Trump is dumb" (with hilarious occasional Trump impersonations). I'm not a Democrat or liberal and normally hate any political content in non-political podcasts and they're completely fine. I can't really imagine even a rabid Trump supporter getting worked up about their occasional politics-related remark.