Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Everblight posted:

Conversely, all of Little Shop of Horror's songs with the plant (other than "Grow for Me," I guess) were shot at between 1/2 and 1/4 speed, so the animation team could manipulate Audrey II's mouth competently, since it would be impossible in real-time. Rick Moranis was a trooper learning to sing to a puppet at half-speed.

I wish Rick Moranis was still acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Grave Encounters 2 is considerably better than the original.

I feel like you saying it's a good movie has validated my enjoyment of Grave Encounters 2. I thought it was a pretty great movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

I don't like ghost hunting crap, but am more than willing to watch an FF movie where everyone is some kind of asswipe. See: BONESTORM, Toad Road, etc.

There should be a 300 hour youtube version of BONESTORM just looping.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is the first Mad Max really essential or can I just skip to The Road Warrior without missing anything :v:

No, but yes.

It's not essential viewing, you won't miss much as The Road Warrior does a very brief recap of why Max is Mad. However, Mad Max is a good movie and has my favorite villain of the series, Toecutter.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I keep hearing it's got the best villain of the series so I guess I'll just stick with it even if it's kinda underwhelming right now. I guess when I thought of Mad Max I associated it with the post-apocalyptic fullblown chaos of the second one and didn't realize the first was just about like, biker gangs.
There does seem to be a consensus about skipping the third one at least.

Each film progresses further into the post-apocalypse. The first basically takes place as civilization collapses, its set during the apocalypse.

I don't know if you haven't checked out the Mad Max thread I recommend it for some further reading about the series if you're interested in the topic after you watch the movies.

Also, don't skip Thunderdome. Maybe fast forward through bits of it, but Bartertown and the action sequences are all worth a watch. Suggested moment to fast forward through: the kids

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

morestuff posted:

I just wish the two most popular internet critics weren't a guy pretending to be a comic book monster and a guy pretending to be a serial killer

Serial Killer gimmick? Haven't seen that guy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TrixRabbi posted:

I think he's referring to Red Letter Media and their Plinkett reviews.

Oh that makes sense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Quad posted:

Speaking of Wacky Meta, I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy and hooooooooo boy.
I want to rewatch it and count how many times the characters get to whedon out. Rocket probably being the worst offender, every other comment is "oh wait... ok, now we're all standing, ok, standing around in a circle, we're on the same page..." just smarmy audience-winking of "Hey look, everyone, look at how ironically detached he is, isn't this loving great" that made me dump a Buffy fan in 9th grade and sure as hell hasn't gotten any easier to listen to.

Is "whedon out" a real term people use to describe meta dialogue? GotG was written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman. I think "Gunning out" sounds cooler.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
A lot of people start reading those threads prior to a film's release and enjoy talking about the marketing, pre-production stuff, other movies in the franchise (if applicable), etc. If the thread has enough momentum the conversations sometimes go into other movies and how they relate to the one the thread is about or some other tangents. Then when the movie comes out some people still want to talk about some of those previously mentioned aspects, but not so much the actual movie's contents due to not having time to see it.

I think spoilers for the first week or two is a fair expectation for those readers, but I don't really mind it one way or the other. I enjoy reading spoilers for some movies prior to seeing them, it helps get me out of the mind set of guessing what's coming next and into the mind set of observing what's actually happening.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Spoiler tags are a basic courtesy, but blacking out half of every sentence across two to three paragraphs is moronic and what really creates that CIA document feel. There's no good reason to make people click to reveal more than once per post, it's just more work for both the writer and the reader.

I agree with this sentiment on spoilers. I've seen posts where a word or two per sentence are spoiler tagged, just spoiler tag the whole paragraph.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snak posted:

I guess I'm overreacting. I do really like Dwayne Johnson, and he does have a good sense of humor. And I mean, the worst case scenario is like, we get to see The Rock fight like a 100 ninjas, and when that's your worst case scenario...

I just keep picturing him playing the character he played in Pain and Gain and so far it works perfectly in my head.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Knick is incredible. Easily my favorite show from that year.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

zVxTeflon posted:

Why did vincent vega shoot marvin in the face?

As the goons say..... trigger discipline.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snak posted:

The problem is that most would-be female power fantasy movies are made by men and end up... questionable at best. See: Sucker Punch.

Is it CineD consensus that it's brilliant satire by Snyder? I like most of Snyder's movies, but found this one questionable as well.

edit:
I'm not sure I'd count Under the Skin as a female power fantasy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Heathers would be a good example.

I keep trying to get my movie night group to let me show them Heathers. I don't get why they are so averse to it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Would Shoshanna Dreyfus from Inglourious Basterds count?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do dvds come inside cardboard slipcovers identical to the cover on the case?

I always liked the slipcovers because removing those stupid security stickers on the case creases always left me with torn dvd cover art.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

coyo7e posted:

Good lord how do you open them, with your teeth?

Actually I take that back I've opened DVD and CD cases' tape with my teeth in a pinch. Never in my life tore up the cover.

The sticker part would, without fail, somehow get between the plastic cover, onto the art sheet, and tear a chunk (it wasn't always a huge chunk or the whole picture, but just enough to bother me) of the cover art with it.

And I had used my teeth before, also my nails, keys, a knife, etc.

It was such a relief when my first order of Criterion Blu-Rays came in and didn't have those drat stickers.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Reign of Fire is my dragon movie of choice.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Ah. Still pretty weird picture choice.

The closest I got is my blonde nephews getting their hair tousled a lot when they're pretty much anywhere.

I had platinum blonde hair as a kid and lived in Italy. Every where my parents took me Italian people would give me candy and change to play games with.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Coma looks absolutely like my kind of poo poo. Hyped for some Russian flick!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

The third movie would be the length of a robot chicken sketch as the monster awakens, crucified, with homemade ballista aimed at it. The movie would not be very long.

Set in the future, the farmers kid's having forgotten the importance of protecting and murdering a gargoyle. Then you have him become like, a cyborg or something. The climax will be the leading man riding Jeepers through space as Earth's gravity pulls them both in and disintegrates them both.

Jason X

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tenzarin posted:

You know Jason survives the reentry right?

Of course he does, the movie only shows his mask make it through reentry though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
only watch the prequels.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ruddiger posted:

Where is this fan edit? I've been digging back through this thread and can't find it. Just curious how Carpenter's music reacts over Lucas' visuals.

https://youtu.be/KJJqYoMxG7o

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nobody is scared to make a post about movies, everyone is just sick of SMG and the pandering around him.

He tends to post in genre threads mostly, so if you want a La La Land thread I think you'd be safe. There's also BbV to post in.

The Genchat thread can also be a good place to source opinions and thoughts on movies if you just want something quick.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lobok posted:

Actually my mind originally went to the infamous Sam Jackson scene in Deep Blue Sea.

I saw that movie so many times. "You ate my bird" cracks me up every time, and when LL Cool J axes his way through the ovens to escape was kinda neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwTEdFFD0Hw

Sam Jackson scene because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz1J9PUcMQ0

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 10, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't get why new King Arthur movies are needed when there's already the definitive movie from 42 years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073244/ ???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Last year had Don't Breathe, Hush, 10 Cloverfield Lane, The Love Witch, Neon Demon, The Eyes of My Mother, The Wailing, Train to Busan released so it wasn't that bad. There are others from last year I've heard good things about but haven't watched yet like Antibirth.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Love Witch, not The VVitch (2015)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Those are solid rec's SiKboy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
is this too much of a difference?

just wanted to post a good, bad, ugly screenshot

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I don't have an answer but I'm just learning about the Cinepolis thing. Do a bunch of waiters keep interrupting the movie to take people's orders?

At the theater I go to that has 21+ older with dining/booze they try to take everyone's order before the lights dim, and deliver the food/drinks by end of the previews.

e: you get a call button for service if you need a mid movie drank or wank

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

david_a posted:

Given that we live in a world where OJ Simpson’s If I Did It exists, it would seem to be pretty easy to work around that minor annoyance.

Oj doesnt get money from that after a lawsuit by the victims family iirc. They get the money.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

got any sevens posted:

Which is different than making it illegal

True, just find it interesting that oj almost got it published but lost the rights before doing so. He did get 600k in cash for putting his name on it as the author.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

a new study bible! posted:

I've been trying to find any information regarding the soundtrack of the Japanese horror movie Occult. Anybody have any suggestions? My Google is failing me.

The Koji Shiraishi movie? Not helpful, but his movie Curse uses music from John Carpenter's The Thing. Lol. I will see if I can figure out the music from Occult tho

E: Had to just pull up the movie and dig in the credits

Pop Bottakuri
Hard Marchen
Wild Hair Style
Two Things.... and Harmony
AM 5:00+
Hair Stylistics

are the bands in the credits.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

a new study bible! posted:

Thanks so much!

First artist was the one I was looking for, but I'm excited to check out the others. I watched a few of his movies this weekend and was way into everything in them, but the sound had me in a strong way.

It's a pretty sweet soundtrack! I'm a big fan of Koji's found footage stuff as well.