Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

roffle posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with the end of American Psycho?

Also, did nobody else notice that The Ringer is basically that one episode of South Park with a stupid love story tacked on? Did they have an excuse for that? The South Park is a lot funnier if only for the fact that it doesn't have loving Johnny Knoxville in it

Matt and Trey in the commentary for the episode said they were just similar ideas that happened to made at about the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Basically it's like this. Carpenter had some lovely experiences working with studio's and decided that he just didn't give a poo poo anymore. He mad a ton of money and just does that he wants now.

Which, according to his wife, is sitting around eating fried chicken, smoking, and playing video games.

God bless him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

So basically The Expendables wouldn't be able to be aired on TV in California during election season.

Oh, it could air. It's just that his opponent would get equal TV time. It happened to George Takai when he was running for office. Since some stations ran reruns of "Star Trek", it was determined that his rival would get equal airtime.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think The Town is the only time in my adult life that I've ever considered leaving the theater out of indifference. There were times when I was considering getting up to go to the bathroom just to find a way to pass the time. It was also one of the few times that I've read rave reviews and had absolutely no idea what they saw in it.

I had this same experience with District 9.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I believe the thief who kills Uncle Ben in the first Spiderman movie is actually driving this car, from what I remember.

Yup. It was also the witch's car in "Drag Me To Hell", Cate Blancett's car in "The Gift", and its chassis was used to make a wagon in "The Quick and The Dead".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The whole "Man With No Name" thing was concocted by the U.S. distributor, I believe.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Has there been any proper DVD releases (similiar to Sony's The Three Stooges) of Laurel & Hardy shorts? And if not, why not?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snak posted:

I actually really hate the Chronicles of Riddick Director's cut. It somehow makes the entire movie EVEN CHEESIER by taking the general concept and implication of Riddick as the messiah/Mordred figure and bringing it to the fore-front, complete with explicit explaining that Furians are more awesome than regular humans. The director's cut takes a pretty decent story and adds exposition. It's terrible and I have spent the last 7 years searching for the the theatrical cut on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Ri...cles+of+riddick

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And hasn't he said he's doing Clerks 3?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

westborn posted:

That's simply a 'real event' inside the new movie referencing the original movie as fan service for the viewer, but not even close to a character inside the new movie recognizing this as something connected to a fictional movie series about a remarkably similar looking creature.

Whether or not it will be mentioned in the film, but the director has said that, in the universe of the 2014 film, the 1954 Godzilla film was made as a result of an actual encounter with Big G.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Disney also made Old Yeller. All bets are off.

Disney licenses Old Yeller as a brand of dog food.

Why the slogan isn't "More Bang for Your Buck" I'll never know.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snak posted:

This seems to happen with a lot of remakes and late sequels. I think it's that when a lot people see a remake they are bracing for the worst, but then it turns out to be okay and they get a heavy dose of nostalgia. When the nostalgia wears off and they've gone back and watched the original again, the new one doesn't seem as good any more.

I think it was more of the case that people were already decided that they already liked the film just on the fact of Fincher and the trailer. You see that more and more nowadays, mostly with films that would already have a built in following, like in the case of films involving David Fincher, or Christopher Nolan, or any of the Marvel films. It's perfectly acceptable to be excited about seeing an upcoming film based on elements that one already enjoys, but a lot of people allow that to bias their opinion of the product.

Remember when The Dark Knight Rises was released, and there was all that hoopla around Rotten Tomatoes and the one negative review that a critic had given the film? And some fans lost their goddam minds over it? Keep in mind those fans hadn't seen the film, but they had already decided that that film was amazing, and wouldn't even entertain the notion that the film wasn't perfect.

Some people have an unhealthy fixation with things things they want to enjoy, and will not allow themselves to even be the slightest bit objective when it comes to developing an opinion towards it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

Last years The Lone Ranger.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I remember seeing "The Hunt for Red October" in theaters, and before the movie started, they showed the Mr. Bean short "The Royal Premiere".

They should bring back shorts.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Killmonger give himself those scars for each person he killed.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

When the statues were unveiled, a reporter commented, "It looks just like my Uncle Oscar," and the name stuck.

Thank goodness they didn't look like his Uncle Dick

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think that would have been one of the Episode I Adventure Journals. There was also a Padme one and a Darth Maul one and probably some others.

Here's a fun one: Max Allan Collins wrote the comic book Road To Perdition, which was adapted into a film, which was then novelised by... Max Allan Collins!

David Morrell wrote "First Blood", in which at the conclusion, Rambo dies.

He went on to novelize "Rambo II" and "Rambo III". (To be fair, he did it because he wanted to try something new, which was adapting someone else's work).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

He was supposed to voice himself in the German dub as well, but he demanded a ridiculous sum for the job, so Herzog just went out and hired someone else.

Anyone else hoping that the story would end with "hired himself"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This was my inspiration for the question, actually. I saw that and thought it was a case of Murphy lying his metal rear end off, but then I recalled the Robot With Murphy's Face thing.

Pretty sure he was lying, so his wife would finally let him go, and start a new life for herself and their son.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

La Fin Absolue Du Monde.

Heh

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Boinks posted:

I know it's not a movie, but I wish someone would unearth his Dead book from around 2000-2001. Its nearly impossible to find anything about it online.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/6820 there's a mention of it here.

I downloaded the first part when it came out and printed it, and I still have that printed copy somewhere. Since it was called 'The Death Of Death' it's really hard to search for any info about it. I remember the story had a guy who survived a building collapse and I'm pretty sure it was written before 9/11.

The AICN synopsis just makes it sound like "Diary of the Dead".

And the first issue of his Toe Tags comic was called "The Death of Death."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I have the dvd for Day of the Dead and one of the bonus features was the original script for "Day" in pdf form. Remember when bonus features were cool?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

wrong thread

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Can anyone tell what Donald Sutherland is cooking in Invasion of the Body snatchers?

It has ginger and seems like a stir fry or something, I was watching him cook and it drat near made me salivate!

I love that flick.

A while ago I was watching the 70s Robert Redford film "Brubaker", and I swear, in one scene, he opens the fridge, pulls out what I can only guess is a giant cauliflower, and takes a big ol' bite out of it :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

“Let’s save this scene until you are expendable, okay?”

Ken Kirzinger, who played Jason in Freddy vs Jason, tells a similar story. He was dead set on doing the "Jason on Fire through a cornfield" scene, and was flat out told no by the producers. While he was a stuntman, they told him they had hired him to be an actor on the film, so a stuntman ended up doing the burn scene.

Then, on the last day of filming, they said, the other stuntmen are busy, so since you're a stuntman, we're just going to launch you from the back of this van.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Just watched Poltergeist for the first time in 20-some years. Directed by Tobe Hooper my rear end, this was at least a co-director situation with Spielberg right?

That's always been the rumor. (The actual rumor was the Spielberg directed the entire thing, and only paid Hooper to put his name on it, so it wouldn't ruin his "image")

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Is there some movie where characters are in a movie theater fighting and their fight replicates what's happening on the movie theater screen? Just watched Bachelor Party which uses that gag but I swear I've seen it somewhere else before.

Wasn't a movie screen, but in Temple of Doom, when Indy's fighting the Giant Thugee, and Short Round's fighting the drugged Maharajah, their movements mimic one another briefly.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Name a better and more clever 90s comedy than Waterboy or Wedding Singer; you cant. Maybe Clerks?

Galaxy Quest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Both Kim Basinger and Whoopi Goldberg knew they were going to be bad movies (Boxing Helena and Theodore Rex) and tried to get out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He was the warden in G.I. Joe: Retaliation.