Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Eh Scott is only 78. He's got at least a decade left.

E:
He's so gonna die now that I jinxed it and because 2016 is the worst year.

My wife and I were talking in the car today about how 2016 hasn't taken many (any?) great directors yet, and Scott was the first one that popped into my head. The next two were Woody Allen and Polanski, so hopefully one of them kicks the bucket instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Spielberg popped into my head, he's gotta be in his late 60s or early 70s by now? Eastwood too, but I haven't seen any of his recent films.

Edit: oh no, Scorsese and Carpenter are old too :ohdear:

Toebone fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 29, 2016

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Leavemywife posted:

How many on like, one of the Marvel movies? As compared to, say, a romantic comedy?

For The Avengers, IMDB lists two people as Editor, and 40 people with various titles under Editorial Department.

Romantic comedies are kind of all over the place, seems to range from a handful of people in the 90s to departments almost as large as the Marvel movies in more recent ones.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

when movie pass goes tits up can i charge back my credit card for the rest of the months if I did the year deal

You could try, but the moviepass terms and service agreement says they can do pretty much whatever they want with the service. Go see those movies now.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

One of the nicer perks of MoviePass is that it works at all the little NYC indie and arthouse theaters, in addition to the big chains.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

wouldn't it be more the CC company's call?

Your CC company will have certain terms and conditions for doing a charge back; if moviepass hasn't broken the rules you agreed to when you signed up they're probably not going to do diddly.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

In the book, while Sam is carrying the ring it tries to tempt him with visions of the greatest, most powerful garden of all time.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

that one chaplin short where he keeps flashing his browny 1911 is weird. i cant help but think of that as a modern gun.

It's right there in the name tho

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is a cliche answer and I promise I'm not one of those people, but The Big Lebowski would be great for this. Just having The Dude bumble his way through a different Chandleresque mystery each week.

Instead of following The Dude, I picture each episode or season following the mishaps of a different team in the bowling league.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Stalker is extremely slow, long, and ambiguous; and as soon as I finished it for the first time I wanted to watch it again.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

marktheando posted:

What's a good example of a film having the opposite message from the one the creator intended? Like trying to make anti-Communist propaganda with horrifying reds but making the revolutionaries look cool and badass and justified (as seen in Dark Knight Rises).

A whole lotta people took Fight Club the wrong way (in effect, proving its point)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

McCarthy originally wrote No Country as a screenplay, which I think is why the novel translates so directly to film, especially compared to his other books.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I don't think it was particularly well liked in 2005 either.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Speeder bikes are aerodynamic and Jabba's barge just kind of floats (and is still at least slightly aerodynamic). It's Star Wars, so I can't expect too much realism; I just figured they'd bring out a different imperial ship for atmospheric fights.

I don't think they showed a Tie fighter flying through the air in any of the prior movies so it was a little weird seeing it in TFA and then Rogue One.

It's a brief shot and I doubt George thought about it all that much, but IIRC in A New Hope when the X-Wings are taking off to attack the Death Star they kinda hover straight up before turning and flying away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Ghost Dog's cool, his apartment/pigeon coop is in my old neighborhood