Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the Josh Brolin thing is weird. He was in Goonies, then he shows up again in Planet Terror, then BAM, No Country for Old Men.

Speaking of Josh Brolin I was looking through IMDB to see if I could find any other movies he may have been in that I overlooked, and I came across Nightwatch starring Ewan McGregor, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, and Patricia Arquette. It sounds interesting enough, and I'm thinking of renting it tonight. Any thoughts on the film?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

That drives me nuts! A friend recently bought a big HDTV, but doesn't have HD service. All of his shows were 4:3 stretched to 16:9, and he didn't seem to care. Why buy the HDTV, then?! (besides for the occasional Blu-Ray disc)

He didn't even know how to fix it, when I pointed it out.

My parents bought an HDTV so they could have something to hang over the fireplace in the living room. They also don't have an HD cable box ($5 more/month) and watch everything stretched-out. They have a valid point claiming they don't care, because I don't think either of them have sat down and watched an HD program ever.

I should just start referring to my father as "strike 2" from now on.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

bad movie knight posted:

Armageddon is still a pretty piss-poor example of the action blockbuster. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but what about a Criterion version of Minority Report? That's a sterling example of the action blockbuster.

That definitely seems way more appropriate than Armageddon.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
In Extract, was Willie just another one of Mila Kuniz's cons or what? For some reason it's really bugging me, kind of like how they poorly wrapped up her story as well.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Bad Santa knight.

This + a morphing Billy Bob Thornton -> Steven Seagal avatar would be awesome!

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Rake Arms posted:

That happens in Crank 1 and 2, and if they make a third one, I hope to God it happens again.

Crank 3D: Everyone Dies Happy

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Blompkin posted:

I know it was a little while ago, but I just wanted to point out that the following films are also in the Criterion collection:

Videodrome
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Blood for Dracula
Flesh for Frankenstein
Slacker
My Dinner with Andre
Naked Lunch
Traffic
Rushmore
Beastie Boys Video Anthology

These aren't exactly classics. Besides, despite Armageddon being hokey and somewhat brainless, at least it's competently made, and far tighter and more engaging that anything else Michael Bay has created in recent memory.

Bad Boys 2 wants a word with you.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Vakal posted:

I was watching the old Stephen King movie, Sleepwalkers, which contains a lot of scene with domestic house cats.

This got me wondering about how you would even train a cat to stand in place for a length of time while surrounded by a bunch of other cats?

The same way you train them to do stuff like this

Parachute
May 18, 2003

csidle posted:

When you're watching tv shows on DVD it's a bit annoying to have the intro song at the start of every episode. Sopranos is great because it has a chapter break right after the song so it's really easy to skip. But The Wire. gently caress. The Wire has a long-rear end intro and you always have to fast forward through it and you end up missing a little bit and have to go back and ar akdslgjlbsnsass

I know that some shows (Fringe) have an option on the DVD's to turn off the weekly story recap, which is really nice if you're marathoning the show.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Never heard of this guy before, but that was INSANE.

The last bit where he appears to slide between the horses, under the stagecoach, then catching the back of it and hopping on was incredible.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

Haven't you seen enough of her already? What are you hoping for, spleen?

Daddy wants pancreas.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Here's a fun question: who's the worse actor, Modine or D'Onofrio?

After watching too much L&O: Criminal Intent in the past year, I'd have to say without a doubt D'Onofrio. There's just something about his speaking patterns and mannerisms that really bug me, but I've never been able to put my finger on it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Psht, what kind of 4th of July party is black-tie, anyway?

This thread is fully of awesome interpretations and analysis, and makes me really want so sit down and watch The Shining again all the way through. If I were more analytical and had more time, I would try to tackle a "Let's Watch..." of this film.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
If you'd like to see a more reserved (and recent) Pacino performance, I definitely suggest checking out that HBO movie "You Don't Know Jack" (the Kevorkian biopic) that came out a couple years ago.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

kuddles posted:

If you haven't already, watch the documentary Cameraman (currently on Netflix streaming) for an example of how directors usually have a certain vague notion of what they want, but a cinematographer's understanding of light, colour and framing can really help shape it. Of course, it also helps continue blur the lines between the two roles as well.

Thanks for this recommendation, I've been looking for a documentary like this for a while.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Malcolm in the Middle is the show that introduced the term to the TV-going public in the US. I even remember it being cited as the reason it quickly became a critical hit.

Good call, I didn't even think about this one.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I personally really don't like surround sound. The visuals are coming from one general direction, and I want the sound to as well.

I love my soundbar, which isn't as nice as other options, but for $80 it really makes everything sound infinitely better.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The crew for The Mist was the regular crew that shot The Shield, it totally looks like The Shield in a lot of places.

Now I want to see the Strike Team rob the Mist Money Train.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

I seem to recall a rumor from the first Scream movie that the cast wasn't let in on who the killer actually was until the last scenes (sequentially) were shot. What are the chances of there being any truth to this?

I remember this was the case with the Scream 2, for sure. I saw an interview with Jerry O'Connell (or maybe Timothy Olyphant) on a behind the scenes documentary about the series on a cable channel a few years ago and he discussed how they would only be able to see the scripts shortly before filming each scene, and would destroy them after shooting.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

jet sanchEz posted:

I was thinking about the American version of Funny Games just today, did anyone see it in theatres? I would imagine there would have been a lot of walk-outs at that one point in the film if the viewers were not familiar with Haneke.

I saw it in the theater and I remember were seeing my fiance's ex + his new girlfriend, and an old couple walking out immediately upon the Naked City track kicking in, so they missed most of the "walk-out moments".

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's Dimmu Borgir.

:golfclap:

But really, he's Mortiis.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

The Cameo posted:

They removed the orange hue that's over everything - now it has that natural look, but of course the orange hue's supposed to be there, because otherwise the "hottest day in Bed-Stuy" feeling just disappears and a whole lot of people seem to be complaining about what looks like a 74 degree day.

And they don't seem interested in fixing it.

Does this apply to the Criterion version?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mescal posted:

I loved David Lynch's acting in Twin Peaks and Louie. Are there any movies where he has a role? Or TV shows? I checked IMDB, but I don't know if it's exhaustive, and I don't care about a voice cameo on Family Guy.

You remind me today of a small Mexican chi-wow-wow.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
2 has such a fantastic ending in the Good Guy factory, and I love the gruesome effects they used (especially with the hand part).

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Sirocco posted:

So this may seem a bit strange, but I'm looking for examples of things that have happened specifically during the production of a film that have lowered interest in it or given it bad publicity (as in bad publicity that really is bad).

It doesn't really fit, but my mind keeps wandering back to The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Cage posted:

You mean the technique that KFC has been using for their commercials lately?

I hate that poo poo.

Those commercials just make it seem like there have been 50 takes and they Frankenstein some of them together. There are like 3 cuts in the span of 3 words. gently caress whatever that technique is.

Not to mention its one of those like weird fake blog to no one kind of setups, too. Those commercials are putrid.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

I am so glad I followed this line of questioning

It definitely made my morning.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Wake in Fright & Long Weekend were both great and really Aussie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I thought this was the horror thread, hah. My point still stands

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He's the same reason The Plague are awesome in Hobo With a Shotgun - blank slate mysterious/masked bounty hunters who have awesome armor and batman gadgets. The details that you do find out about the Plague are loving hilarious, though.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Does the car chase in To Live and Die in LA have any kind of mythos attached to it? If not, it should because it's a primo chase.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Everblight posted:

Are you saying audiences had never seen a chase sequence before? Because ignoring the entirety of the 50s and westerns/stagecoach robberies, there is a chase sequence in the old testament.

I'm pretty sure he meant in terms of a contemporary/urban setting, and based on your examples his point kind of stands.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
What's the technique called when there are two different locations are shown at the same time but you don't know which character is at which location until the payoff? I'm thinking of stuff like from The Dark Knight Rachel's death scene and the house raid in Silence of the Lambs.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I always thought it was just kind of cool shorthand for the movie that stuck as vernacular.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

No Country For Old Men

loving spot-on. I don't think I've re-watched this movie this year.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
^^^This!

Snak posted:

This is actually the first movie that I thought of when I started seriously considering the question myself. I would have liked that movie except for the goofy as gently caress Lord of the Rings style rock monsters. Not necessarily the concept of them as characters in the story, but what they looked like with goofy cartoon faces and everything. If they had been more like people in hosed up makeup I think it would have worked a lot better for me.

No Country For Old Men is pretty great. I need to watch it more times. Also read the book. The only Cormac McCarthy I've read is The Road, which was a great book and a bad movie.

Blood Meridian would be right up your alley, man.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Life's too short to run from a book.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I finally caught Source Code a little earlier this year and noticed that Duncan Jones again used the song "The One and Only" by Chesney Hawkes just like in his previous film MOON (hopefully he puts it in Warcraft somehow). Do any other directors have songs like this that they use in every (or almost every) film?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
It would really take a lot for me to hate or even dislike a Tarantino movie. He just loves film so much and it oozes through his work, not to mention he has yet to make a bad movie, IMO, and I can't really say that about any other director who has been making movies as long as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
He's seriously a national treasure.