Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just watched Unforgiven for the first time ever on this thread's recommendation and with some of the points on this page in mind. It still reads as a bog-standard Western to me. Guy gets pulled back in, does a job, it goes pear-shaped, he gets a reasonable amount of revenge. Bittersweet and beautifully-shot, but not exactly the deconstruction of the western the way Fury Road completely disassembles the action movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a surface level, the basic plot beats are certainly evocative of more traditional films, but Unforgiven constantly goes out of its way to undermine them. Take the scene in which Little Bill tears down the stereotype of the heroic gunfighter. Or the death of Bunting, which is messy and undeservedly cruel. Or the final exchange between Munny and the Kid, in which the former rejects any attempt to frame the killings as a matter of justice. All of these scenes resemble the revisionist Western much more so than the traditional one.

Also, I think this is the first time I've heard someone refer to Fury Road as a deconstruction of action films. Could you elaborate a bit on that thought?

Action films are almost inextricably tied to masculinity and the patriarchy. FR is explicitly about how that mindset must be rejected and feminism embraced if we are to triumph.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Is there a particular reason, beyond stylistic trends, that opening credits sequences have gotten as rare as they are? And why especially do movies increasingly forego the "[Studio] Presents a [Production Company] Production" bit, which doesn't even take very long?

Is this mostly the directors or are studios fearing you'll lose people's attention if you take a couple of minutes to list names?

I blame the cold openings of TV dramas for priming the pump, and the ever-shortening intros (to squeeze in more content in the face of ever-lengthening ad windows) for training the audience to react that way.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Instead of belaboring later Crichton, let's talk about how goofy and dumb both Congo and Sphere's onscreen variations ended up being. One author gave us two movies, one with Dustin Hoffman and the other with Bruce Campbell. That's gotta be a sort of record on how far across the sliding actor scale you can go.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is there any Orson Welles movie that is NOT good-to-great?
I submit there is not. He's easily the best part of Transformers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPW44-I3n4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

More of a distributor question: do theaters care about movie length? The two highest grossing films are both, err, Titanic 3hour epics, but also put butts in seats, when they could have shown 2 slasher sequels in the same time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snak posted:

"It's BOILING ACID!!!!!!" Is basically the best line in the entire Batman franchise.

Only because Nolan didn't take the perfect setup in Rises to have Bale say "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" unironically.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Freddy Krueger's head got big enough to eat someone in one of the Nightmare On Elm Street movies

That would be 3, The Dream Warriors. The Freddysnake was dope and 100% practical.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MisterGBH posted:

It falls into my guilty pleasure category along with ... Dick Tracey etc.
Well now me & you are gonna fight, buddy. Dick Tracy is a legit stone-cold good movie and classic. It's also probably got the best production design of any movie in the 90s, including Jurassic Park

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

Strange Days is a cyberpunk sci-fi movie from 1995 about technology that lets you experience peoples' memories first-hand whose plot hinges on a Rodney King-esque recording of racially-motivated police abuse that is being covered up and the general tension of that era.

It's also directed by Kathryn "Zero Dark Thirty" Bigelow, and has the 2nd greatest trailer of all time, after Comedian/

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

I have a terminology question too, kinda movie related but also music related.

You know that creepy music effect in so many horror movies where lots of violin strings are plucked in discordant/atonal ways and it's like the aural version of pins and needles or goosebumps forming and cold raindrops falling all at once? It gets louder and louder as a creepy thing unfolds on screen. I've seen it so many times in movies and on tv (South Park even used it once).

What's that called? I've heard the word pizzicato but I don't think that's it exactly. Also what was the first movie to use it?

It's called a sting, and it isn't always violins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjjQqd0eLzw

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://letterboxd.com/easydiff/list/end-credits-rap/

Am I missing any? I know I am, just curious if any of you can think of any?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

double nine posted:

Were those practical effects or CGI?

All practical. They built an entire room-sized gimble and screwed down appliances to make the spinning room (like Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo would do a few years later), and this was just an upside-down room with a hole they dumped blood through with the footage played backwards.

The "freddy presses through the wall" was literally Robert Englund on a stepladder and some cheesecloth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Parachute posted:

Dream Warriors - not rap but a titular track about the movie. not 100% sure on if it was played during the credits

Wasn't that a hair metal song by Dokken though? I didn't put Ray Parker's "Ghostbusters Theme" on the list for just this reason - not a rap. It's a very specific genre, I know.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I understand that "Rap Song explaining the plot of the movie" is a very specific genre, and we are all the poorer because Will Smith isn't rapping anymore.

Think of the Suicide Squad rap we could have gotten!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Again, to clarify: its not just "a rap song associated woth the movie," it has to be a rap song about the plot of, or at least the characters and events within, a movie

That wiki link is good, but it's suspect - Tales from the Hood is not actually about three dudes hiding from the cops in an abandoned funeral home and Clarence Williams III tells them ghost stories.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 27, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's worth noting, the T-Rex effect in Jurassic Park was achieved by building a full-sized, 1:1 recreation of an actual T-rex and including animatronic controls. When it got wet (since they shot with a rain machine), it would break down and an engineer would climb into the t-rex, through the only egress- its mouth, and crawl around inside among 20 tons of gears and rods that could accidentally activate, crushing him inside the beast's belly.

Contrary to young-earthers, this is the closest man has ever come to being eaten by a dinosaur.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

Cinefex magazine.

You can get bulk back issues of Starlog and Fangoria at any yard sale, thrift shop or garbage pile. They are your best bet for enthusiast-press BTS stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I rewatched Deep Blue Sea and in addition to having some of the worst-aging CGI in recent memory, it really does have LL Cool J rapping the plot of the movie over the end credits.

Deep Blue Sea was released well into the 2000s.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Parachute posted:

doesn't he start rapping the song before the credits roll, too? maybe thats just in my head or in a music video tie-in (if there was one)

The song starts when they're doing the helicopter shot of the carnage after the last line of the movie, but before the credits literally, exactly start but for all intents and purposes it is a song that only plays over the end of the movie, after all the shots have concluded.

Also the song is in no way related to LL Cool J's character in the movie, an ex-alcoholic preacher who is the research station's cook and has a poo poo-talking parrot he named Bird that gets eaten by a hyperintelligent shark.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

XboxPants posted:

How well does the '67 Producers hold up? I've always wanted to watch it, growing up was always a big Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles fan, etc. YF still holds up, anyway.

Then there's... a Matthew Broderick remake from 2005? What value is there in watching that one?

Counter opinion: both '67 and '05 Producers are bad. '67 suffers a lot from "being made in 1967" disease - there's an interminable scene where far-out trippy :coolfish: hep-cats have a dance that drags the movie to a screeching halt, and the pacing is rough regardless. Wilder and Mostel mostly save it, though.

The '05 Producers is a tragedy; it's a stage play shot like a play. Lots of wide shots with a locked-down camera. It does literally nothing with the format of "being a film," and that's terrible because it is a legit great stage play I cannot endorse enough.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It will never not be funny to me that Das Boot and Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail have the exact same ending.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

Tora! Tora! Tora!
In addition to being hands-down my favorite war movie of all time, Tł is stealth-directed by Akira Kurosawa!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've put together another letterboxd list, looking for any releases I may have missed: Bideo James, a depressing list of movies about (not based on or documentaries about) video games - and how pathetically they've been handled thus far. Is there a single movie not by Neveldine/Taylor that is remotely good about the recreational activity of playing games? Sports has tons of good movies, how does videogames have none?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Edge of Tomorrow, in essence at least.

Nah, I want diagetical video game inputs on screen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah. Reign Over Me stuck with me more. Man, when he finally talks to his in-laws... :smith:
Punch-Drunk Love is more twee Anderson bullshit, Funny People is where the real Sandler acting reservoirs lie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Billy Madison is trash but Happy Gilmore and Wedding Singer absolutely hold up

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I turned Click off when he fast-forwarded through sex with Kate Beckinsale. :cmon:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

And another underrated 90s comedy (which also happens to me much better than the hopefully shitposting asking for movies better than Sandler late 90s trash), The Addams Family Values is superior to the first one in that series.
:yeah:

It's really criminal how much better AFV is than OG Addams.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

bladerunner 2049.

Rude that they skipped over a theatrical release of the first 2,047 sequels imo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is the first appearance of what I am calling, for lack of a better term, the "Lampoon Shot" on box art? You know the one:

Earliest I could find was Slumber Party Massacre in 1982.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I just watched a doc on Malcolm McDowell (O Lucky Malcolm!) and he seems to sort of shrug off making bad movies because it's still work and he still has fun making them.
My favorite bit like this was in a Playboy interview with Christopher Walken. They asked him "What's the deal? You won an Oscar for The Deer Hunter! You stole the show in Pulp Fiction! Why the hell do you just pop up in stuff like The Rundown and Balls of Fury??"

Walken: Well, my kids are grown, I don't have any hobbies, so when I get back from shooting a movie, I just do whichever one is on the top of the pile my agent puts on my desk of whatever he thinks would be fun for me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen Balls of Fury, but he was a lot of fun in The Rundown.

Oh no doubt, he's a lot of fun in everything. It's just... he doesn't have to be in anything he doesn't want to, and he still has zero discretion.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

His portrayal of "Downtown" in Major League 3: Back to the Minors is far better than the material deserves. This is not an ironic post, this is sincerely believed.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Are there any watchable seaside community gets terrorized movies I've missed. I've got Jaws + sequels, Piranha + sequels, Orca, Humanoids from the Deep, and The Shallows.
Lake Placid is lakeside, but good.

Zombeavers? Shark Night?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why would you watch Deadman when you could watch Ghost Dog, Jarmuusch's samurai gangster movie scored by RZA?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Why would you want to, when you could just watch Ghost Dog?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

How do I get my hands on a screenplay? I really really want to see how Stephen Susco actually constructed Unfriended: Dark Web but he isn't on twitter so I have no idea how to actually be like, "hey loved your movie, can I get the screenplay?"

E:

SimonCat posted:

It's funny and a little petty.

Are there any other examples of this type of tit for tat in movies?
Not movies, but the Dead Rising video game (which opens with a shot of the "Now Entering Town, pop. 53,594" sign covered in blood) has the "Zombie Genocider" achievement... which Left 4 Dead spoofed in their game:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 8, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

The T2 laser-future is unquestionably rad in that film, but it's a product of its time—it's how 1991 imagined the future to be in all its stylistic excess. Had Salvation gone for that look in '09 it would have come across like a cartoon, so I totally understand why McG and the gang went for a more grounded, grey, bleak version of the future even if it wasn't as "cool." His version feels far more like a real-world war-torn environment, the sort that Americans had been seeing on the news in the Middle East since T2 came out. That being said, it almost entirely lacked in style and ended up being incredibly bland.

Please stop talkin poo poo about Skull Beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I'll admit the only HDTGM I've listened to was when they did Punisher: War Zone and had the director there.

Punisher War Zone is good as hell and Lexi Alexander loving owns though?