Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

he has sex with himself at sixteen

What? Can you elaborate on this a little bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

ShawnWilkesBooth posted:

It's not flat out stated, but it talks about how he goes back in time (when he's sixteen to when he's sixteen) and some comment about how they give in to their hormones and then his dad catches them. Dead serious.

That's really bizarre and surely they didn't leave that part in the movie, right?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

kalensc posted:

#3 - I'm not quite sure to what degree with audience was supposed to be surprised at some of the "revelations". We know the hats and the cat got duplicated in the teleportation, so obviously Angier was as well, and once they mention the trap door and show the blind stage-hands removing the wrapped-up glass containers, it's pretty easy to deduce what's going on. But then the end reveal with the rows of Angiers is presented as somewhat of a twist; was it just supposed to be visually shocking to see dozens of dead Hugh Jackmans, or did the writers really think the audience would still be confused at this point of the movie?

I think it was just to show how crazy Jackman was for drowning himself that many times. Remember both versions of him were the "real" version.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

caiman posted:

This question applies mostly to people who, like me, speak only English. When you guys say out loud the name of a movie with a foreign language title, such as Au Revoir Les Enfants or Le Cercle Rouge (just to name a couple that spring to mind), how do you go about pronouncing them? Do you do your best to say them with the proper accent and pronunciation? When I try doing that I just feel like a pretentious rear end. Unless I could learn to pronounce them flawlessly, I typically say, "that movie with the foreign title I can't pronounce," but then I feel like an uncultured philistine.

Would you rather dumb people think you're a snob or smart people think you're a rube?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

In Heat, why don't they pick up Val Kilmer at the road block after Ashley Judd warns him? He's got a fake ID but surely they have a picture of him.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

He cut and dyed his hair, but that's it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Butthole Prince posted:

It's a great movie, but there are a few plot points like this one that make zero sense. I was always bothered by that one, along with Tone Loc casually using the word "slick" as the catalyst for the entire police investigation.

Yeah I figured there was no answer for the Val Kilmer thing. The slick part never bothered me because weird coincidences happen all the time.

Just today my grandpa's girlfriend got a wrong number from somebody trying to reach his grandma. The weird part is he said "This is Andrew, I want to take you and Jack out for dinner with Katie" where my name is Andrew, my grandpa's name is Jack, and I was just talking about a friend I have named Katie this past Sunday. Turns out it was some stranger who dialed the wrong number.

I love Heat, every time I watch it I think maybe they'll getaway clean from the bank just this once, even though I know what happens.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

This probably gets asked a lot but which DVD version of the original Night of the Living Dead should I get, assuming I don't care about extras and only want the best quality transfer?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

fgwsss posted:

I never really got Mark Wahlberg's character in The Departed. It seems like a dumb question, but I never understood why he was suck a dick. Especially to Billy. Can anyone explain that?

So he could say the funniest lines? He just was? Some people are dicks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

Those theories seem plausible to me. There was definitely something going on with Dan's wife and Ben.

Ben was just loving around, seducing his wife during the five minutes he got up from the table.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Handsome Dead posted:

Is there anywhere that has a list of things changed in dialogue for other languages? I'm thinking along the lines of in Men in Black when J says "NYPD means Knock Your Punkass Down" and how that would have been changed into, say, German.

In the French film La Haine, a character is nicknamed Asterix but the subtitles call him Snoopy.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Hibernator posted:

I heard somewhere that there was a deleted subplot in Heat where Pacino's character was a drug-user. Any truth to that or is it just hearsay?

Anyway, because of that, every time I see Pacino going crazy I imagine that his character is secretly a cocaine addict.

On one of the special features on the DVD Pacino says he played the character like he was chipping coke.

Also the TV thing really happened. The guy didn't know how he was supposed to react so he bugged out and took his TV set. Some cop friend of Michael Mann, I think.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Snowy posted:

Can anyone ID the blacksploitation movie this Polish guy is watching at 3:00?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpOQ4jZdtms

According to this website, it was footage shot specifically for the movie.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_53076-Chevrolet-Styleline-De-Luxe-2100-HK-1950.html

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Does anyone know what Quentin Tarantino was actually doing in between Jackie Brown (1997) and Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)? I know even Tarantino would have a life outside of movies, and Kill Bill was obviously a pretty big project, but it seems like the guy just sort of disappeared for a while. Were there other projects which he abandoned or something in this time?

I read an article years ago where one of his acquaintances said he pretty much just smoked a ton of weed and watched crappy movies in his home theater during a big chunk of that period. He even specified not campy crappy movies, but Lifetime Original type stuff.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

In the opinion of somebody who doesn't like Jim Jarmusch, The Limits of Control is a very Jarmuschian film.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Netflix sent me the third disc in Kieślowski's The Decalogue before the others, should I be watching these things in order or does it matter?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I saw it like ten years ago on TV and he said "I can smell your scent."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

It seems to me like avoiding "zombie" is a cheap way to class up a movie and goose it's "realism", kinda like in vampire movies where they say "this isn't the movies, ok, garlic doesn't actually work".

Is there a name-brand superhero movie where someone says "Thor is a real-life superhero" or do they always just stick with "vigilante" and "hero"?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

It isn't even very realistic. In a 'real life' zombie situation people would call them zombies - 'just like the movies', even if the 'real' zombies turn out to be slightly different.

I think it's an attempt to escape from its own unoriginality and homogenity within culture, like they're trying to pretend no-one has heard of a zombie before and the whole thing is surprising.

Well, note that "realism" is in quotation marks in my post. It boosts the quote unquote realism because "zombie" is a silly movie term and "walker" or "deadie" or whatever is what people would actually call it.*

*In some screenwriter's mind.

Cerv posted:

Marvel & DC jointly claim a trademark on 'super hero' and variations which is a big incentive for everyone else to just avoid it.

I had no idea "super hero" was trademarked, huh. Also, I understand that every movie can't have a character say "wow, this situation is just like one of those comic books/slasher movies/action thrillers."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Should I watch the Lord of the Rings movies? It took me two tries to get through 30 minutes of the first one because I was insanely bored and had to turn it off. Is this a common complaint or are these movies just not for me?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks everyone, looks like I'm not gonna bother!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I know Christopher Nolan movies don't always fit together logically, but I have a question about Interstellar. Why hadn't anybody gone looking for Anne Hathaway once they got off Earth? The old lady tells McConaughey to go find her, but shouldn't someone have done that already, or was the plan just to leave her marooned on some planet to possibly restart the human race and not even shoot her a message saying "oh by the way we all live on a space station now mission accomplished come on back".

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Allyn posted:

The wormhole closed after it spat Coop out, and Gargantua's dozens of light years away. (Can't remember exactly how far but honestly it may be thousands.) There's only like 60~ years between Murph discovering anti-gravity and Coop re-emerging, during which time they've focussed on building and evacuating the entirety of human population to O'Neill cylinders, a pretty mammoth task in and of itself, and meanwhile have absolutely no guarantee that Brand was actually successful (except Old Murph who randomly knows, somehow, I guess :shrug:).

Spoilers for Interstellar:

I don't remember anything indicating that the wormhole closed. But assuming that's the case, that means future humans put the wormhole there leading to some viable planets in order to save humanity, but then when Brand gets to one of the planets, they close the wormhole leaving her with no way of communicating with Earth, and the rest of the humans with no way to even get to the new planet (that they now have no way of knowing if it will support life)?

I also can't remember if they ever give any indication that they know exactly where the wormhole leads, just somewhere next to some planets.

I don't buy that they don't know what happened to her until Coop gets back, because we're never given any indication that Coop would have any way of knowing either. Either way, (and this was my main gripe), she was part of the crew that saved humanity and is out there somewhere, and nobody but Coop seems too interested in rescuing her.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Snak posted:

(interstellar)until Coop gets back, no one knows that any of them survived at all. Only Murph thinks that Coop somehow helped through space and time. Everyone else just thinks Coop and Brant went off never to be seen again, and while they were gone, Murph invented antigravity.

What evidence is there of this? And if that's the case, how does Murph know? And regardless, now they do know, and nobody seems to be looking for her, otherwise Coop would just hitch a ride instead of stealing a spaceship by himself.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Is the movie Mauruders poo poo in a "just an action movie" way or is it a poo poo action movie?

It's boring and non-sensical and is more of a crime-thriller than action movie anyway. Not enjoyable on any level, IMO.

Also LOL at Adrian Grenier as the least convincing Special Forces badass in film history.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Snak posted:

There is no way he's worse than the "Delta" guys in the scifi channel original movie about killer bats. Bats: The Human Harvest, I think it was called.

He says the lines OK but Grenier's problem is that he has the face and demeanor of a person who's never faced an obstacle or worked a day in his life.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Some reviews of American Honey mention that Star was sexually abused by a family member (her father maybe) in the past. Does anyone remember how this was revealed?

In John Carpenter's The Thing, is the alien eating people and making replicas of them or just inhabiting their bodies, or is the movie ambiguous about this?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Quad posted:

After the initial grocery store scenes, when she goes home, it happens on-screen; her father is drunk and angry, dances with her, tries to do things, and the way the scene is played out it's obvious that this is not the first time.

Whoops I thought that was her boyfriend/guy she was shacking up with.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

What's the best Frankenstein movie where the monster has his classic look? Bride of Frankenstein? Is the classic Frankenstein look basically just the Universal Studios look?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

How come a lot of times when the credits start rolling they're a dingy white for a second or two before they pop into a bright white?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

They aren't typically. I'm guessing it's a product of whatever device you're watching on? Like it takes a second to detect luma levels before switching modes?

Oh, must be my TV. I thought I could remember it happening everywhere but I guess I watch the vast majority of movies on my TV.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I saw a movie (or TV show... possibly GLOW or Goliath) recently where a character was watching Brides of Dracula. Does anybody know what this could be?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Not movie related, but when people use U2's "One" in romantic situations like a wedding... the band themselves are always like "uh that is *not* a romantic or happy song."

I don't know, how a song makes people feel is way more important than what the lyrics convey if you take the time to tease them apart. Lust for Life is a distinctive and catchy pop song, who cares if it's about heroin? If U2 is so precious about the *true meaning* behind their songs they're free to not license them out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

In Gravity, why does Clooney's voice sound like he's voicing a cartoon character? I mean, I know it's because it all was recorded in a sound studio, but it has a distinctly voice-performance-only quality to it that I can't put my finger on.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

Do Americans have Choc-Tops or is that just an Australian thing?

We call them Drumsticks and they are one of the more popular ice cream bar type snacks, but I can't ever really recall seeing ice cream at the movie theater. It sounds good though and I might have to look the next time I'm at the movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

We have Drumsticks too but they look like this (and are mass produced convenience store/gas station ice creams)

We call those King Cones, Drumsticks look like this:

There are probably a million regional variations, but the closest thing I've seen to a choc-top we call dip top, and it's typically made with: /soft serve and looks like this

That being said, I've never seen soft serve or hand dipped ice cream at a movie theater.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

The Fugitive, Blackhat, Showdown in Little Tokyo, Blowout, A Lonely Place to Die, Moonraker, and Spectre come to mind. Also probably a few more James Bond movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

When Scream came out in 1996 were there actually a lot of viewers who thought Drew Barrymore was the lead and were surprised by the opening scene, or did everyone know Neve Campbell was the heroine and that Barrymore was basically just a cameo before going in?

I was 12 when the movie came out and didn't see it until it hit VHS so I can't speak to what the first audiences expected going in, but I distinctly remember it being known as a Neve Campbell movie basically as soon as people started seeing it and talking about it. It wasn't like The Sixth Sense where people would talk about "the twist ending" but were careful not to give it away.

Back then I think the average moviegoer made a lot fewer assumptions about any particular movie before it came out.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Was there ever a story on why Bill Cosby made such terrible movies in the 80s? Leonard, Part 6 and Ghost Dad? You would think with the popularity of the Cosby Show he would have been able to get some better gigs.

Most people don't set out to make a bad movie, and it's nearly impossible to know how a movie will turn out when you decide to take the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I will say that Be Cool is a real piece of poo poo that relies on extremely tired *NOTICE HOW WE'RE BEING CLEVER HERE* dialogue and obvious, artless stereotypes for humor. What if a gangsta rapper... was a silly goofball! What if a big scary bodyguard... was just a big gay softy! What if Vince Vaughn... dressed like a cartoon pimp and said things like "man you trippin" "c'mon playa, stop hatin".

Just really dumb, and not in a fun way.