Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

ClydeUmney posted:

Lord. That's taking it to an even more extreme level.

I almost think that's a lovely joke. "Don't sue if the commentary is/makes you retarded!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Honest Thief posted:

In The Thomas Crow Affair, how does Brosnan's character manages to put the painting on the case and close it without seriously damaging it?

Only the wooden backing frame that the canvas is on is damaged. I guess folding the canvas in half might not do any damage to it. The painting is reattached to a new frame when Tom Crow gets home.

I guess the film originally showed the frame breaking as he closed the briefcase, but producers or whoever thought audiences wouldn't get that only backing is being broken (not the painting itself), so they took it out and just sort of waved their hands and hoped nobody would care.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 13, 2010

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Factor Mystic posted:

True, I suppose the red pill could have just been a psychotropic. This would have had virtually the same effect I guess. Though, their hurry in the real world was due to the fact he was about to get recycled after waking up.

Didn't somebody (trinity?) say the red pill was a tracking beacon so they could locate his body outside the matrix?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Rake Arms posted:

In The Matrix Reloaded, when Neo meets The Oracle, she asks how he's feeling, but before he can answer, she says, "I know you're not sleepy. We'll get to that." What the hell is she talking about?

It's been a while since I've seen that, but could she have said "sleeping"?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

User-Friendly posted:

What is considered to be the first movie "twist"? I know a twist is kind of hard to quantify, but is there anything commonly seen as the first?

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Jack Gladney posted:

On a related note, does anyone still learn that weird pseudo-mid-atlantic accent that was so popular in the 30s-40s among people who wanted to appear serious or cultured? Like if you listen to Franklin Roosevelt's speeches, he affects a totally weird accent that I also sometimes hear in films of the period, but that I've never heard outside of "deliberate" rhetorical contexts like presidential radio broadcasts or fancy-pants films.

Here's some examples of contemporary uses of it (from Wikipedia).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I was watching Blood and Black Lace the other night and realized I almost never can follow (or give a poo poo about) the plots or stories of giallo movies. Is that common?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What are some mansions that have been used as exterior locations in multiple movies? Houses like Oheka, Mentmore Towers, and Ennis House. I don't care if just pictures were used and nothing was actually filmed there.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Apparently Anton Chigurh's look was inspired by a man in a photo in the book Boystown: La Zona De Tolerancia. Anybody happen to know where I can see that picture online?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Does Wim Wenders have the reputation of being a creep? Two of the first three movies of his I watched have nudity from very young girls. Or is that just a "Europe in the 70's" thing?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is there a legal/contractual requirement for studios to put their vanity cards in movie trailers, or do they just do it to foster brand recognition (or for like pacing or to satisfy a norm or whatever)?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is there a specific sheet made for putting over the camera & camera person to hide their reflection in a teapot or whatever or do they just like throw a moving blanket over them? Also is there a term for the blanket when they do it?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Was there ever a major shift in how we perceive characters in Westerns who had fought for the Confederacy? I'm watching an oater from the 50s and a character was a confederate soldier. The fact that the film doesn't seem to hold that against him makes me think contemporaneous (to the movie) audiences didn't either.

The boring answer might be that our attitudes slowly evolved with the civil rights movement, but I'm wondering when movies started using that detail about a character to maybe make us think we don't like him (and what caused that change).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Are FBI piracy warnings and like the ad for Sony Blu-ray Experience that are on DVDs and Blu-rays considered snipes, or does that term just apply to stuff in theaters?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Anybody know how I could go about watching Craig Baldwin's Stolen Movie?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
In anthology movies, are the individual segments considered short films? Like say I showed somebody a video of Amateur Night from V/H/S, is that more me showing them a movie clip or a short film? I'm guessing it's movie clip, because I don't think Amateur Night would be eligible for a Best Short Film Academy Award.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
In Stalag 17, the WWII POW camp prisoner who passes out the mail and announces the news has a high voice that sounds like the "extra extra read all about it" voice. It's odd to me that even in a prison camp they find a guy with that kind of shrill voice to announce the news. Was that the sort of thing where within the fiction of the movie the character would be drafted into that job because of his voice, or is it more likely the director cast him in that role b/c of his voice?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Well, the script doesn't specify that he has a newsperson voice. I don't know if that settles it for you, or what else could settle it.

I guess a better question would be, in a real WWII POW camp, would someone with that voice be selected to read the announcements (and if so, why)? I guess that's not a movie question, so I'll take it somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I'm going to watch Otto Preminger's Exodus, but my knowledge of history really sucks. I know nothing about the founding of the modern state of Israel or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Will the movie still work if I don't know about any of that stuff or do I need to have at least a passing familiarity with it? What should I read (that is of reasonable length) to give me like a working knowledge of that part of history?