Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, this is easily worse politically. Potemkin's sort of like Gone With The Wind, glorifying something while ignoring its problematic aspects, while Birth of a Nation straight up says "we shouldn't have given black people the vote." It's closer to Triumph of the Will. But you're right, that is that important.
Yeah, I don't see the comparison between Potemkin and Birth of A Nation in terms of content. Birth of A Nation stands on its own.

SubG posted:

I assume that this didn't happen with Eistenstein largely because in that time period the Cold War was seen to be coming to an end---the Berlin Wall falling in 1989, the Soviet Union formally broken up in 1991, and so on---and so Bolshevik propaganda could suddenly be seen as quaint and dated instead of as a pernicious threat (as it had up to that point), unlike racism or Nazism.
Also, what Eistenstein film would you replace it with? Maybe Ivan the Terrible, but the time gap is too great if you're trying to contextualize it in the history of film.

penismightier posted:

That liberal guilt frustrates me because ignoring those two is more dangerous than studying them, because it's important to learn how much audiences can be led astray by stirring images and a nice sappy story.
I've always seen the reevaluation of Birth of A Nation vs. Intolerance, and Triumph vs. Olympia to be one of artistic merit not historical importance. If you were to poll the average person Birth of a Nation and Triumph of the Will would wipe the floor with their counterparts in name recognition. I don't think anyone would deny their cultural impact is much greater. I don't think it's some liberal guilt to say they're inferior works of art and less worthy of attention as such. They are certainly worthy of attention from a historical and sociological perspective, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

I get this, though personally I think Intolerance is hardly more artistically significant than Birth of a Nation (it is so loving BORING). Isn't it hard to separate the two concepts, though?
It depends on the context. If someone said, tell me about the history of narrative filmmaking then one would certainly be remiss in not mentioning BoaN. However, if someone said, I'd like to watch just one film that was emblematic of feature films in the 1910s I'd pick Intolerance before BoaN.

Of course any further discussion would require contextualizing the film and you'd have to mention BoaN, but still.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Are any Catherine Breillat movies good, or are they just tittyful?

Fat Girl is pretty good, haven't seen any others.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

M (The Road Warrior) came out in 1981, so it looks like anything goes there.

Why is M the second film and not the first which came out in 1979?
Z is probably the sequel to Zulu, 1979's Zulu Dawn

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

What are U, V X and Y? I suppose X might be Foxy Brown but that seems like cheating.

It seems the guy did some for the 60s, 80s, and 90s as well.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

BeigeJacket posted:

E: Oh, and speaking of Allen, what's the consensus of what his last genuinely good film was? I've always had a soft spot for Everyone Says I Love You, but can appreciate it's a lightweight, but enjoyable, piece of fluff.

Midnight in Paris is a top 3 Woody Allen movie to me.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Is Thin Red Line the war movie? I think I liked that... never heard of the others and have no wish to.

Badlands is a cool movie and unlike Tree of Life has a very coherent narrative driving the meditation on life aspects on the film, so you can enjoy it on both levels. You should give it a shot. I like Tree of Life a lot and I don't think familiarity with Malik's work is in any way a prerequisite, though it does give you a better idea of what to expect. Tree of Life really treads a fine line, and personally I found the dino segments worthless despite loving the rest of the film, so I can see why others might feel that way about the film as a whole.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dexter6 posted:

Please point me to the right thread if this isn't it, but I searched a bit and couldn't find anything...

I want to start purchasing digital High Def movies but I'm having a hard time finding anywhere to do that. Here are my requirements preferences:

1. DRM Free
2. High Def
3. Playable on Mac or PC
4. Allow me to download and save on my computer
5. Standard format

So I think this rules out itunes (not DRM free, not standard format) and Amazon (not playable on Mac). Does anything out there exist currently?

Thanks!
I think DRM free pretty much kills this from the get go.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

escape artist posted:

Tell me about Jim Jarmusch and Eric Rohmer, and why I should watch their films. And where to start with them. Please :)
Going in order with Rohmer is not a bad way to do it, his two 1963 shorts are a bit rough but they still capture his style and human/philosophical preoccupations well, they're where I started. There is a dividing line of sorts between his pre and post 1980 work, but it's mostly a variation of the same style. His films can be mostly grouped into three thematically connected eras 1963-1972, 1981-1987, 1990-1996 but there's little reason to watch them that way unless you really want to spend time thinking about how the themes tie together. His highs are Ma nuit chez Maud (1969), Le rayon vert (1986) and Conte d'été (1996), so those might be a good sampling.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend posted:

So then Billy counts as No. 1 as well as No. 7?
Doesn't the film explicitly run through them at one point after this reveal and make this very point?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

NeuroticErotica posted:

The films made like a teen drama, and it's supposed to be "about" teen depression,
I think this is the main problem with the film. It's made to feel like a film about teen depression, and for much of its running time repeatedly says it's a film about teen depression, but it's not. It's a film about a sexual abuse victim coming to terms with that damage. The most obvious part of that damage happens to be depression. I'd have less of a problem with the film if that had been clear from the start instead of treating it as some twist, complete with vague hinting through flashbacks.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Much obliged. :tipshat: I've been meaning to grab it from Netflix but the idea of having to watch a 4-hour silent film first was preventing me.
It's a great 4 hour silent film, though. And rather briskly paced for a 4 hour silent film too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Busby Berkeley musicals like Gold Diggers of 1933 and 42nd Street are essential, as are Astaire and Rogers musicals like Swing Time and Top Hat. This list from a BFI book is pretty varied and probably covers most of the key points.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

live with fruit posted:

Lists like this one always make me wonder when movie critics and historians are going to start looking at film from South America and Africa.

There are 8 selections on this list from South America and six of them are from Brazil. Which suggests that no film from Chile or Peru or Colombia has been as good as Donnie Darko.
South America at least kind of takes care of itself in that regard, there's a critical community and film institutions and a reasonable, if underfunded, amount of preservation going on. You can find lists of great South American films both in general and specific to the various countries.

By contrast Africa really gets the shaft. It's incredibly hard to get ahold of African cinema, there's very little promotion of it even within Africa from what I can tell and if you asked most people what they know about African film you'll either get a blank stare or some comment about those terrible Nigerian Video films shot in a day. It's really sad because there are some really wonderful films from the continent, and very diverse ones.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

live with fruit posted:

Do you have a link for any of these?
Latin American films of the 2000s
Cien años sin soledad: The Greatest Latin American Films of All Time
Arcadia's Greatest Latin American Films This list includes Spanish films as well for some reason.

The three big Latin American countries as far as cinema goes:
Brazil
Cuba
Argentina
I have another Brazilian list somewhere that I need to compile and put up when I get some time.

As a counterpoint this: Guide to African Cinema is the only African film list worth a drat I've ever found and it's made by an outsider. It's still a decent introduction to the continent's cinema all things considered, but it's sad that there isn't something better or more comprehensive.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Box of Frogs posted:

Do films restored by the World Cinema Foundation eventually find their way to a DVD/Bluray release?
At least some of them do: http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1021-martin-scorsese-s-world-cinema-project

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

regulargonzalez posted:

It's technically correct, since 1.37:1 (aspect ratio he shot at) is wider than the disc's format of 1.33:1 (as per Amazon), so a tiny fraction of film was trimmed ... or panned and scanned.
Not really. Pan and scanning isn't just cropping, it's actually panning and scanning across the screen to capture what is in the whole widescreen shot. So even a 1.85:1 film that was cropped, but always shows the same section of the original film would not technically be pan and scan.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Otto von Ruthless posted:

Is anyone familiar with this DVD edition of Yeelen? A lot of the information I can find about the release is less than inspiring, but it also seems to be the only way to see the film. Or alternatively does anyone know if there is better version of the movie available that I'm overlooking?

I've been interested in seeing this for a while, so if the only option I've got is a lovely copy, I'll probably pick it up, but it seems like something worth seeing a quality version of.
Eh, it's Kino. It's not a good transfer, but I don't remember it being horrid or unwatchable, just the usual interlacing and lack of care Kino is known for. Supposedly this version https://www.trigon-film.org/en/shop/DVD/Yeelen_-_Brightness is better, but I don't know how much better or if the difference is worth the effort importing and the price difference.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you ever have to "prepare" for a movie, then the movie done hosed up.
If the preparation is movie specific, yeah. But many films expect a certain cultural or historical knowledge and I don't think that's necessarily unreasonable.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dokmo posted:

Has there ever been a movie made entirely out of stock footage?
What counts as stock footage? There are films with no original footage, like La classe américaine or Final Cut: Ladies and Gentlemen or shorts like A movie and Rose Hobart but I don't think those are technically stock footage.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

504 posted:

As opposed to.. not.. having them trained?
The movies are already 85% CGI, there's no reason to force anyone to be underwater for that long.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

veni veni veni posted:

Corny Oscar controversy aside, is Green Book actually a good movie? Because I finally got around to watching a trailer for it and it looks stupid tbh.
It's mediocre writing with two great actors. They elevate some parts of the material, but some of it is unsalvageable (like the infamous fried chicken scene). How it all shakes out depends on your tolerance for the way it deals with its themes compared to how much you enjoy watching two great actors play off each other.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Related fun fact about Buster Keaton's The General:
That's hilarious because a big part of my lack of love for The General is that the lead is a confederate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why did the "default" aspect ratio for films change from 1.33:1 to 1.37:1 in the early 30s? I can't imagine it was for artistic reasons since the difference is so minor you generally won't notice unless you have a side-by-side comparison. Was it more cost-effective somehow?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_ratio
Sound is the reason they had to change something, but why they settled on 1.37 isn't clear from the wiki article.