Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

AlphaMole posted:

I've been working on this model in my spare time at work

and the face after a crash course about skintone from a friend

I really like how that texture is looking :3 I'm planning on doing a bunch of DS-spec characters soon for fun/portfolio but I've never done super-low poly work before - any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Unexpected EOF posted:

You know what? As dangerously under-qualified and as terrible as I am? I'm going to enter Dominance War. It looks like fun.

Me too, I don't have the excuse of having to work on my degree this year so I'm drat well going to finish too!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hinchu posted:

How much of an effect does Z-Brush have on the production workflow? I've never used it and I was wondering about it. The basic process from what I understand is that you create your base mesh, import it into Z-Brush, create your sculpt, and then apply that back in your 3d package to your mesh. Does that add a lot of overhead to a rigged character? And does it increase your render times dramatically? Also how well does the sculpt morphs work with UVs?

I'm just (re)learning about this workflow now, I think you're talking about normal maps which are used to make a low-resolution mesh look all spangly and high-res using the wonders of baking textures. Once you've made the normal map it's no more pressure on your rig/rendertimes than a diffuse map. You use the UVs on your low-res model to make the normal map so it all lines up fine(or it should anyway).

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

So I started a new job last week, and whereas at uni and in my own time I've only ever used 3DS Max, the studio I'm at uses XSI. I can do basic poly modelling things and tinker with UVs so far, but I miss how familiar I was with Max and I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or something for going from Max to XSI, or just decent XSI tutorials?

Also, I never realised how much I leant on pelt mapping til I had to unwrap something in XSI and the crazy-rear end texture editor confused the hell out of me.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Aliginge posted:

A vehicle I'd be more inclined to do at this point. My characters are basically inferior to my props and show off my flaws way more, not good when looking for that entry level games job.
Speaking of, if I don't see your application in my inbox on Monday I am going to rage at you :p All you have to do is pour your heart and soul into the art test!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Imajus posted:

This is out of pure curiosity, but I'm wondering what software everyone uses and if anyone has converted and if so from what to what? I'm a max and zbrush user myself.

I started on Max, learned and used it at uni/for my portfolio for about four years. Then I got a job using XSI and have been using it for just over a year(and man, how much and how fast have I learned just from using it every day at work!), and it looks like I'll be switching to Maya soon.

I still like Max better than XSI I think, but I'll be interested to compare them to Maya.

For sculpting I mess about with Sculptris because zBrush confuses and intimidates me, and I'm yet to need hi-res sculpted models for work... yet :shobon:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I really like XSI, if I had a more up-to date version(or just the same version as my senior, drat that lack of backwards compatibility!) I'd be okay with sticking with it. The biggest problem I find is the lack of community support online. Polycount et. al are coming down with Max and Maya support threads, plugins, tips and tricks, tutorials and all that jazz, but there's barely anything that I can find for XSI. When I have a problem or I'm trying to figure out how to do something, my Google searching usually brings up a couple of not particularly relevant 5 year-old threads from CGHub and little else.

Also, my copy is old enough(version 6) that its FBX support via Crosswalk is seriously bockety, which is a huge issue right now :|

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I have three monitors at work :v: Although only two are actually attached to my main working PC, the other one is for email/Internet etc.

I used to have a matched pair of 3:2 Dell monitors but I've just had the right one replaced with some super widescreen monster, which would be pretty awesome if I could get the colours looking the same across the two now :/ I have no idea how to calibrate them properly so if anybody here knows how I am all ears.

At any rate, I keep XSI and explorer windows etc on the left monitor, but I expand onto the right things like the material manager or UV unwrap window. Unity spreads nicely across both monitors with the Inspector etc on the right and a big old camera view on the left. Photoshop lives on the right monitor.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I may be moving to Maya after a year and a half using XSI(which I have come to love in its own way) and several years before that using Max. Any tips or guides to make the transition as smooth as possible? :3:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

enginedriver posted:

So anyone going to do Dominance war on Tuesday? I saw your demon on polycount Ceebee, looking awesome. Hope to see some stuff from you guys!

I am totally doing it this year, need something to motivate me to do stuff at home again!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

mutata posted:

Need some good high-poly work in my portfolio, and Dom War is as good an excuse as any to get some work done.

Edit: I also got 2 friends who are in creative ruts to agree to give it a go with me. Hooray for community events!

I'm going to tell all my game-art-student friends to give it a go and they're all going to ignore me just like they do every year :sigh:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm trying to get people at work to go for DomWar, got some interest going and my art director said we might even do some internal prizes or prints of finished entries. I'm so excited, now I just have to wait for the drat thing to finally start...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

So who else spotted this? Polycount's pulling out of Dominance War and running their own competition instead - one that'll cater to env as well as character artists. No further details yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, DW's continuing delays are getting more than a little silly by now...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

enginedriver posted:

Oh wow that's huge. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm imaginning they'll overlap. Which will you do?

I figure I'll decide when Polycount post the rules for their competition; I have more faith in them to run things on time for one thing, and they mentioned they will have more varied themes and styles. DomWar has a very defined theme by this point and I'm a little sick of the OTT grimdark look that always seems to pervade it.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

So this has gone all over, uh, to sum it up: Does anyone have any tutorials or resources for Softimage that are up to date? (And hopefully free.)

If you ever find them let me know, because I used XSI for a year and a half(just switched to Maya and I'm not convinced yet it's an upgrade :p ) and I couldn't find any tutorials or references newer than about 2005 or so :/

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm going with Polycount. Reimagining Princess Peach :3:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Anyone got any swag other than t-shirts/hoodies recently? I think the last weird thing I got was a can of "Bruce Juice" for the Edward Norton hulk movie.

I think I was talking about it in one of the games industry threads but besides my Autobot logo hoodie(:swoon:) we've been given tons of Transformers toys, various board games and Nerf guns by Hasbro ever since we got the TF MMO contract. It's pretty sweet, but I am still startled every so often by Nerf bullets whizzing past my head or bouncing off my monitors.

They also set us some Hersheys chocolate but we didn't have the heart to tell them it sucks :shobon:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oxygencult posted:

EoinCannon: top notch work!

Any xsi users here? I'm starting a new job in a few weeks and they use XSI in their pipeline and i really could use some help in learning the ropes with it (I've mostly used Max and Blender previously). What would be a good learning path to learn the software quickly? do you know any good training dvds you would recommend? Many thanks in advance!

I went from Max to XSI when I started at my job about a year and a half ago, and I watched most of the stack of Digital Tutors XSI video tutorials to get me into it. They were pretty old videos, but it was a pretty old copy of XSI too so it all worked out okay :v: Basically I just needed to know what XSI calls various tools and where all the actual operators are kept - squirrelled away in obscure menus and keyboard shortcuts, mostly. Learn to love the keybindings panel.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oxygencult posted:

Thanks floofyscorp, i'm currently reading the "xsi basics" book and it really helps a lot, i have to look into those digital tutor videos you mentioned, hope they help. :) it's pretty funny how there's basically massive amounts of info for Maya, Max and even Blender when it comes to learning the interface&basics, not so much for xsi...
Yeah, I hated that when I was learning. And don't expect to find plugins for it either, when I went looking for something to allow me to edit normals the only thing I found was an incredibly awkward plugin from 2005 :l

I'm using Maya now, there are still things I miss from XSI... but being able to tweak vertex normals to my meticulous heart's content is lovely.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oxygencult posted:

so if some of the normals on my model get flipped for some reason i'm basically hosed? (with the exeption of that plugin...) sounds super :) or is it possible to tweak all the normals to point one way, but not say individual faces etc.

You can invert normals on faces, and you can split along edges(if you don't mind not being able to export that to a game engine) but tweaking normal directions, or making everyoning point one way etc, is a no-go without that dumb plugin.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Are there any tutorials geared for people who know max and want to learn maya?
I already know how to skin, model, texture, etc. in Max, so if I can just find something to "transfer" my knowledge I think it would be pretty neat. I have also used maya a little bit in the past but at this point I barely remember anything.

Or should I just go through the regular tutorials?

The regular tutorials are pretty decent, I went from Max to XSI to Maya without too much trouble. The theory of modelling is universal, all you need to learn is the buttons and what the tools are going to do for you.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

gently caress, why do I only hear about these things four years after I graduated :(

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

They did last year in response to pulling out of DomWar, I don't know if they intended it to be a regular thing. DomWar is too bombastic and EPIC for my tastes(plus the delays last year were beyond annoying) so I hope polycount continues to run an alternate competition. Maybe I'll even finish my entry this year...!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Trintintin posted:

Also this is a public service announcement to 3DCG. BACK UP YOUR WORK, BACK IT ALL UP NOW. My main backup drive died last weekend, a mere week after I had reformatted my computer, which means due to terrible timing I have lost all of my work up until this point. Looks like the demo-reel isn't getting small tweaks anymore haha! Thankfully I have a .mov rip from vimeo of my reel as it sits, and what better excuse to stop touching old projects and start new ones!

I accidentally deleted all my personal work from the past 5 years the other day! I forgot to move it out of the 'backup' folder after upgrading my PC, and while doing some spring-cleaning I deleted that folder...

I guess I could get it back with one of those file restore programs, but I'm taking this as more encouragement to make new stuff; all that old poo poo was terrible anyway.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

This seems like such a remedial thing I'm unsure about asking, but here goes.

I'm making my character and I've built him in a t-pose, so arms at right-angles to the body, and legs parted a bit, is that right? I see sometimes the arms are more 45 degrees from the body, do the limb positions matter, or is it all good so long as they aren't at the side of the body. If I had to guess, the difference is in sculpting the shoulders and the way they will deform when animated, is that right?

'Right' is subjective. Our auto-rigger script at work demands a 90 degree T-pose(and robots made of tons of discrete elements don't have to worry about shoulder deformation anyway) but 45 degrees, for organic models at least, makes for more natural modeling and deformation later.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

I downloaded Maya today to learn the basics as I only know Max and thought it would broaden my skill-set.

I didn't expect it to insult me!

I'm following the tips on the Startup window, but does anyone have any resource for people learning Maya who have decent experience with Max?

Maya is a jerk and I still don't know wtf Complete Tool is supposed to be used for.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Yip Yips posted:

So I've decided to try screwing around with modeling DotA 2 items. I have some limited experience with Maya (but I'm not attached to it at all) and a lot of 2D experience. What software package would you guys recommend to a blank slate such as myself? Let's pretend I expand my use of it past DotA 2 junk, at some point.

Maya seems to be the recommended package for working with DotA 2, so if that's where you want to start you might as well stick with Maya. I use it every day, so it's not bad or anything.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I don't suppose there is some sort of awesome tutorial/guide out there that would let me look up max terms and give me the maya equivalents, etc, is there?

I switched from being an artist to a producer and we use maya at the new studio and so I don't have enough experience with Maya on the daily to really learn it, and I'm too lazy/busy to learn Maya in-depth in my free time.

I'm getting tired of hassling artists at work for "hey how do I do this Max function" all the time.

I swear this does exist; I remember having a reference file(I think it was a PDF?) when I moved from XSI to Maya that listed all of the most common functions between Max, XSI and Maya, gave all the different names and hotkeys etc, but I'm hosed if I can find the drat thing now. I'll keep looking.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Ccs posted:

So for a short film I'm working on in Maya I have a character who is going to pick up a mask and wear it around. Should I put a joint in the mask and then attach it to the rest of the rig once the character puts the mask on? Or should I do something else? Is it possible to key joints so at one point something is attached to a rig and at another point it's not?

When I did something like this I had two masks: one already attached to the character, and one loose in the scene to be picked up. Once they picked it up and placed it on their face, I keyed the visibility so the one rigged to the character became visible and the loose one vanished. Line it up right and you shouldn't even notice the switch.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I don't know about Octane, but Unity is lovely. By far the most artist-friendly engine/pipeline I've ever worked with, such that I pine for it at work :sigh:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

tuna posted:

Urgh, I thought this sounded horrible and one of those Max idiosyncrasies you just deal with, until I tried it out in XSI and it has the exact same behavior (except XSI gives you a warning on each vertex). I never knew this was some sort of cross-application standard.

Maya doesn't do this :smug:

Mostly.

Sometimes it just crashes instead...

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

snorch posted:

mirroring geometry in Maya also flips the normals.

Yeah that's true, and it's really loving stupid. Not only does it flip the normals, but it activates an 'Opposite' node on the mesh so it looks fine... in Maya. Export that mesh to anything else(like say a game engine) and all your normals are hosed and you don't know why. I don't know why this is the default behaviour except ~Maya~ :smith:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Are there any commercial modeling/rendering programs for under $1000? If I had my choice I would buy and use the full version of AutoCAD 2012 (not the LT version that can't do 3D) but I believe it costs over $10k. Plus to be completely honest it has some usability, performance, and stability quirks.

3DS Max design looks close, but $3000+ is still a very hard pill to swallow. Unless they throw in a computer. :suicide:

I haven't used it myself, but a friend of mine raves about modo. It's gone way up in price since last I checked(guess they got popular!) but it's still only just over $1000. A colleague really seems to like Silo which is significantly cheaper(on sale atm for $109) and apparently has some neat features.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Does it have to be watertight? I'd just intersect the cylinder into the boxy thing and call it done, most likely. Add some bevely ironwork detail if you like/budget allows/that even suits the style of the lamp post.

If you really need it welded together though, I'd line up the end of the cylinder with the nearest quad on the boxy thing(what even is that?), delete the quad and the cylinder cap if there is one, then rebuild it all with Append Polygon. You'd probably want to add another loop or two on the boxy thing to avoid a billion fussy triangles where they connect but... yeah. That's one way to do it I guess.

That looks like a lot of geometry on the cylinder compared to the boxy thing, by the way. I don't know what this lamp post is supposed to look like in the end but the difference in density is a bit strange.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

earl of sandwich posted:

Working on a small browser game using webgl and need some custom head models. I use three.js which has a OBJ and MTL import

Tried doing it in 3ds max, but it's doing my loving head in

Does anybody know where I can hire someone to do some rough human head modelling (with skin) from a front 2d reference? Doesn't need to be exact, In fact I don't even need the back of the head.

Polycount has a fairly busy work-for-hire subforum, you could take a look in there for people who are looking for work or post an ad yourself: http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Speaking of Photoshop, just in case any of you were thinking of going legit and actually paying for it(what can I say, I've been using it for twelve years so I figured I should probably start paying) Adobe are doing a pretty sweet deal until tomorrow where you can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom for about ten dollars a month.

I've been playing with the 3D paint tools in Ps for the past couple days and I'm pretty impressed. There's still room for improvement but being able to paint straight onto my model with the Ps tools I know and love is so good.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

I really like low-poly stuff à la this guy, so I want to pick this up ASAP. Am I gonna run into any problems doing this right away or should I first learn doing stuff with high-poly models before limiting myself to this sort of stuff?
If you want to do low-poly, do low-poly. IMO it's almost an entirely different skillset to doing high-poly/sculpted stuff so if you decide later that you want to do that sort of thing you can start learning it then; having a grounding in super low-res stuff won't hurt you(though it may make 1 million triangles feel like some kind of obscene wizardry :v: ).

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I used XSI for a year or two when I started at my job and moved to Maya after that. There are still some things I miss about it :(

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Chenghiz posted:

I thought Mudbox was really intuitive when I tried it in beta, but that's also comparing to zbrush 1.5 or so, so things may have changed.

Yeah that hasn't changed. Mudbox's UI is really easy to get into and ZBrush is still a brick wall of WTF. It's like Pixologic go out of their way to ignore every possible UI convention or piece of terminology ever used in a 3D program.

Unfortunately ZB is really powerful and does all sorts of neat poo poo that Mudbox doesn't, so it's become the standard for sculpting and they can get away with having such a horribly obtuse UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The Royal Scrub posted:

Speaking of plugins, is there anything special you have to do to get dDo running?

I've enabled the 'Additional Plugins Folder' in Photoshop CS5, and even with the entire install in that folder it's not showing up. There's remarkably little information out there on how to use it. There are some good videos but they always have everything opened up in PS from the start.

I haven't tried dDo yet, but with nDo you actually have to run a separate executable once PS is running instead of launching it from within Photoshop. Maybe dDo works the same way?