Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Ronan beckerman done a bit on us and spoke to my boss... it's mostly just talking about how we do stuff with no specifics, as is standard for this sort of poo poo.

http://www.ronenbekerman.com/interview-with-dbox/

It's got pictures though. Of those I worked on the un studio & taipei ones.

Holy crap, you work at Dbox? The stuff you guys put out is crazy. I can never show that stuff to my boss, else he'll expect me to do the same, and I never ever get enough time to make anything meaningful. So it always seems I'm going over budget. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

An update on my little hobby project. Hardest bit is to figure out how I'm gonna fill in the scene :( I stole the camera position though, so maybe I should just try to remake the photo?

International Log fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 11, 2012

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doing a visualisation for my bro's new interior, but they haven't picked a rug yet. It's a shame really, because it would really tie the room together. :v:

And their couch (OCD material tweaking bonanza):

First is with post photoshop DOF, using a lensblur. Second is vray DOF, and it took 5 millenia to render.

Jewel: Oh indeed, I'd say one half is texturing, a quarter is rendering and another half is post work. Yes that doesn't add up, but thats just the way it is. :colbert:

International Log fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 24, 2012

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SVU Fan posted:

This is looking really nice man! Very believable.

Here is a portfolio render of a Chupacabra illustration I did a little while ago. I was lucky enough to have Pixologic ask me to put it in their turntable gallery. You can check out the textured turntable here: http://www.pixologic.com/turntable/ (the first thumbnail).

Thanks, and that is some excellent saliva modeling, I gotta say.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm a lensflare slut. :bigtran:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Meanwhile, in arch viz, we cant find people who know how to do their jobs for love nor money and are desperate to hire even vaguely competent staff.

I'm in an opposite situation. Here in the Netherlands the entire arch biz is on it's rear end, and since the dawn of Lumion, no-one wants any high quality renders anymore. So, it's hard to keep one's motivation when you can't use the software package you're most proficient in.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

I cant imagine something that produces poo poo like that to be in high demand... I never thought i'd hear it making a difference. Maybe worth changing the kind of clients you have?

Who does rem koolhaas use for visuals? I cant imagine they'd be happy with lumion quality poo poo. There must be some architects who want good work.

Well, like I said, the arch biz is on it's rear end. Which means everyone wants things for no money, which means if lumion can render a somewhat acceptable render (in their eyes anyway) in a very short amount of time, the choice is obvious.
Naturally the starchitects have the financial freedom to get any render quality they please, but oddly enough I haven't seen that many high quality renders from Koolhaas. Maybe they need an internal viz studio but don't realise it yet, who knows...

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Buying a house, so naturally I modeled it and stuck some lighting in:

This is how i'll move into it, the handrailing is the only coloured thing in the entire house. :geno:
Probably could use some colours.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

What kind of light setup do you do for this kind of environment? I tried a few things but most kill render times and often turn out somewhat wonky with super blasted spots.

It's not just a light setup, it's a combination of things: your colour mapping, physcam settings, materials, direct and indirect lighting all contribute and need to be balanced.

Here I used a Vraydomelight with an HDRI in the texture slot as GI, a toned down Vraysun as main light, Reinhard colour mapping with burn set to 0,5-ish to get the brights down, Brute force as primary bounce and lightcache as secondary. Then play with the camera settings (f-number, shutter speed, ISO) until only your windows are just about blown out-ish, then postprocess in Photoshop to pull the stuff together. Rendering to 16bit TIFF gives you more room in the levels to mess around with.

Make sure you also tweak the brightness of your materials, since the brighter they are, the more light they bounce around. There's also the gamma thing, but my knowledge in that is too limited to explain it without sounding like an incoherent drunkard. So just make sure that's set to 2.2 and you're golden. :pseudo:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got a question for the Max+vray guys:

I have a (shittily) organised 3d library of various types of foliage/trees at work, and I want to be able to place these as vrayproxies with materials attached. A bit like the Lumion library. Do you guys have any tips in speedily blocking out the greens (or any type of object really) in my max scene? I'm thinking in the direction of having a .max file filled with materialised proxies, and just sort of cherrypicking them, and instantly painting with random size/rotation, but how? No idea. Any library script I tried so far (project manager, HCG) do not seem to support vrayproxies.

Another way could be: Have my library organised without proxies, and using a project manager script to put them in the scene, then painting with those, afterwards converting them all into instanced proxies.

I'm trying to avoid any scatter plugins, but if they are the most efficient choice time/money wise, I'll pitch it to the cigars here at work.

International Log fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 12, 2013

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Forest pro's library is amazing and the best one i've used by a distance. We have every evermotion plant/tree library and a few others loaded into it - making thumbnails and proxies is a couple days work - but now I can open the library, select 10+ plants, select the surface(s) I want them on and paint directly onto the mesh.
You can pick individual models to paint, set groups within one forest system, use 30+ in one scene, then there's all the random controls for scale/rotation/colour tint.
You will save so much more time than you didn't even realize you were wasting.
Floating licenses too.

Frankenfinger - back out now. real time is not a quick solution. it's a custom built thing that happens after every decision is made and takes twice as long as working to views/rendering out sequences.
The quality will be significantly lower and you're about to give yourself so much work, just to please a client who wants to look into the corners. A firmer hand in meetings selling them on focused views will go a lot further. Lower poly count (or god forbid, unwrapping & creating normal maps), no GI, ugly reflections, no glossy effects, having to cover every angle instead of the ones you see. translation issues, re-creating materials. the list goes on.
By all means experiment with it and see if you can make it work for you - but do not agree to do something in real time for a live job that has a deadline when you've never done it before.

Wasn't sure if it was gauche to post up a photo of my business card so I didnt - but the point I'd have been trying to make with it was that I got made art director last week, and I'm quite pleased about it...

Thanks for the advice, and congrats on the promotion! You certainly deserve it. The only thing you have to do now is hover behind artists all day. :mmmhmm:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nondescript Van posted:

Maybe somebody can help me with this. I just installed 3ds max 2014 with the newest version of iray. iray will not render on my gtx 780. it errors out after about 8 iterations saying "failed to get memory statistics" and then it will not render anything again. It's a simple scene with 1 prism and 1 light and in the errors it says the memory is only around 60MB used. I also get "unknown error" and "device failed to render"

I've been googling extensively but I cannot find an answer that is not "uninstall everything and reinstall everything."

I'd run some tests on the card, could be faulty hardware? Lord knows every videocard I ever bought was initially broken.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Filtering? Cant figure out what you mean, post an image.
Fog in the scene? Bad AA? idk. You can use a falloff map in distance mode, but i've got no idea why you'd ever set that so I cant imagine that's it.

We're hiring! Click here for details:
http://www.dbox.com/miami/

It took way too long to get that site together. I refused to put the ad up until we had some work people could look through, our main site has nothing on it.

Dear god those renders are stunning. Pity it's not an office in the Netherlands, I'd be all over that job opening :pervert:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

I want it to be known that I'd like people without architectural experience to apply, too!

I re-wrote the copy and removed all reference to architecture but it was decided to add it back in last minute for some reason.
As I expected with that kind of focus nearly every applicant we've had (20, in about 12 hours so far) is an aging failed architect who's never built anything with a tragic CV and awful CG work. Like 40+ year old dudes with cg straight from 1995. I don't even know what they expect. :(

I shouldn't bitch, but you guys should see some of this poo poo - it's legit upsetting.

Time to start a European office? :v:

At my job I kinda have the opposite feeling, a young colleague of mine sure has some talent, but it's limited because they keep him om Lumion all the time. The renders he produces are pretty good considering the package, but I'm wondering what he could eventually do with max+vray. Shame really.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Handiklap posted:

Every time I see EoinCannon's avatar, I'm reminded of the wall of broken links left in waffleimages' wake in the 3d emoticon thread. :smith:

e:holy poo poo that was, like, 5 years ago

Are you pondering what i'm pondering? :crossarms:

Also, here is a render:

2 days, Vray, Photoshop. My colleagues say the woman looks like a hunched-over old lady?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Made an IKEA Stockholm chair the other day, 2,5 hrs from start to finish:

Didn't have any side/top views, so the modeling took a little longer, and I need to get more creative with studio shots. :effort:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Poly or nurbs?

Poly modeling with a bit of SubD on the backrest and seat.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Question for you Cubicle, since you seem to be into archvis up 'till your elbow:

I've got an animation to make of a pretty heavy scene of part of a city. 5 apartment blocks with each about 5 mil polies Xreffed into one scene with a Vraysun, lit by a VraySky in GI override, and a spherical HDR as environment backplate since I'm still too stupid to put in a proper background in an animation.
All of the bricks have a normal map, and I have around 80 evermotion tree vrayproxies stuffed in there (not xreffed), and in the final animation I'm planning to put in Populate people to make it not seem like a ghost town. Now I was wondering how you would approach this? What I know so far to keep frame times down is:

Exclude trees from GI (trees are all instances)
Precalc GI maps (lightcache and irradiance map both set to use camera path)
Set reflection depth to max 2 or 3
Turn filtering off for bitmaps? (not sure if this helps, the idea is that the image sampler does all the work)
Render out the people as a seperate pass and comp them in Sony Vegas (no after effects here)

Have DMC sampler set to 1/4, noise threshold 0.01, and this is what comes out at 9m33s rendertime:

Also, the animation is about 2 minutes long with 5 different shots, and I have 30-odd i7 12gb workstations to use as a renderfarm at night.

International Log fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 31, 2013

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some pretty cool stuff guys.

Latest (quickie) render of mine:

It rendered for 9 hours at 2000x700something, is that acceptable these days? I used that latest guide with the DMC sampler thing and the samplerate element, doesn't seem I fully get it yet. :shrug:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

You rendering guys, I don't know how you can stand it. I'm having to set up a scene right now to be traditionally rendered for a presentation and I hate hate hate fiddling with render settings and then not being able to see the results (or at least a reasonable facsimile) instantly. Game engines have spoiled me.

Well, you get used to it I suppose. Some lowres previews usually give a good guess how it will turn out, coupled with some region renders of potential problem areas will rule out any weird stuff happening.

Then again, if you don't check our UNC paths the render will look like a half assed mosaic when using distributed rendering.
Or you forget to turn off region render for the final render.
Or your baked irradiance map needed to be rendered every 5 frames instead of 10 and make your animation look like a 3D pointillism painting.
Or when you forget to set it back to render all frames when you fire off your renderjob.
Or you set the output path of your animation to a networkshare on your workstation, and promptly turn it off (by sheer idiocy) when going home, giving the renderslaves no place to store the frames.
Or it's patch Tuesday.
Or one renderslave has their Windows regional settings different and uses a comma instead of a period for decimals, and renders all their frames way too bright/dark and giving a nice stroboscopic effect in the animation.

But other than that, it's a breeze and completely stress free. :emo:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Eventually all that stuff becomes second nature though. I never go above an hour for a 1080p frame now and I honestly cant remember the last time I saw a flicker in an animation.

9 hours seems way too long for that, but idk what cpu you're using. I'd expect 2/3 on a good i7. Check your reflection depths and make sure filtering is off on the leaves. Render looks good though - i'd probably up the contrast a little more & maybe take some of the red out too.
e: do you have fog on in the base render or is that the z depth in post?

Yeah zdepth post, gives a little, uh, depth and such. Rendered on a xeon dual cpu 24 core i7 thingamabob, filtering is off for leaves (as well as no 2sided mat). Took out the salmon wash in a newer jpg, havent uploaded it. I suppose I should pry around in the reflection depths, maybe lower all glossy/light subdivs. Which are all at values 'round 90.

I was hoping by using irrmap/lc the rendertimes would be low, though it spends most of the resources after the prepasses. Maybe this samplerate vs subdivs thing works better with bruteforce? I'll have to try.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Latest render:

Imgur compression poops on everything. And we need to bring our people library in the 21st century.

Also, that Portuguese tile is hard to do without a tiling plugin, spent a couple hours clonestamping in photoshop. But I'd have to do the entire square if I wanted no tiling at all.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks buddy, here it is in all it's glory! I just have to figure out how to do metallic textures, but I'll save that for another project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9rgG2vPAvQ&t=133s

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pooped out a render today, 2,5 hrs to render, bit of noise but eh:

Want to do an animation of this building now, probably shouldn't use rendertime DOF then?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cyne posted:

$200 for a Lenscare license is the best money you'll ever spend on an After Effects plugin. Honestly, I like to use in-camera depth of field whenever possible, as it's always going to look the most natural, but Frischluft DOF is a fantastic piece of kit to have.

A few renders I posted a while back.

The clock shot is in-camera, the other two are Frischluft.

Nice shot by the way!

Thanks! Those look good too. What I'm worried about is, is by using the ZDepth map which can't be smoothed, you always get aliasing around the focal point. You can even see this in Alex Roman's vids. Is there a solution for this, when using Post-DOF?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Made this in a couple hours basically, model was provided (my life for my automated Revit > Vray material converter):

Distributed render of 30 minutes on 4 pc's, and did some reeeeeeeeeeally botched photoshopping but ofcourse I'm not gonna tell you guys where exactly. Also, there are some inaccuracies in the model that I was simply too lazy to fix. :shrug:

Oh, lighted with a single domelight + hdri, irrmap/LC.
Next ofcourse, is animating this thing, of which I have no clue as of yet.

cubicle gangster posted:

most tools have features for edge detection and smooth those out. Frischluft does a great job of this - I think alex roman just used the built in tools.

If you want to send me a render and z-depth i'll run it through it for you if you like.

Thanks, I might do that sometime.

International Log fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 8, 2014

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New exterior! Actually am kind of proud of this one, only took me 3 days. :downs:

And yes, the talk about job interviews and CV's being the opposite of normal job interviews is so true. All my friends keep bitching about needing a diploma/saucing up your CV, or call me a dumbass when I say my portfolio is everything. They just don't understand, man. :colbert:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I present:

The World's Ugliest Chandelier.

It's part of a much bigger thing which will take up craploads of my time, but I'm just gonna work on it whenever I want to so I don't burn out on it. Looking forward to OCDing over the worn iron/metal shader. :)

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just a quickie between jobs:

Vray, PS, etc.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Finished this a month ago - worked on 3 full cg aerial images for googles new headquarters. worked with BIG/heatherwick.

Ah you did the google campus thing? Ace work man!

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
picked my lil' huge project again:

The leaves thingy in the center i'm still working on, but the reference is crap so it's taking a while to understand the details.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hello persons,
Back with one of those dusk renders you see kids doing a lot these days:

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, I'm looking to do some job apps pretty soon, but have no portfolio. What's the choices here? Some friends told me wordpess, but are there some (not free per se) portfolio websites that are good to use?

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The main dude of this studio is colourblind: https://www.a2studio.nl

Anyways, a new 3d computer graphics picture from me:

The lower right was intentionally left low-detail because there's gonna be some text there in a magazine ad.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally can post this animation I've been working on since mid december last year! Was provided with full detail Revit models which were fun to work with...

Rendered with Vray, about halfway upgraded from 3.7 to Next, which was a good idea. A bad idea was to uninstall a 3dsmax update which made it crash randomly on pretty much any click in the program.

Other random details: People with Anima, Polyget and Evermotion trees, Madcar and Citytraffic for animated cars. Forestpack for assorted greens.

Renderpower was outsourced to Vray Cloud, which resulted in Chaosgroup adding 3 entries to their bugtracker :v: Total credit bought was around € 2k. Highest cost for a shot was 300 credits. Biggest scene to submit was 20 gigs and took an hour to export and upload, Average time to render a sequence was 2-3 hours.

Obviously there are a lot of improvements to be made timing/lighting/material wise, but regarding the time put in and mostly doing the entire thing by myself, I'm satisfied. Opening shot was done yesterday, birds were added just this afternoon because why not.

https://vimeo.com/377518116

ps Chaos Cloud is fun

Phoneposting, so hoping the video works..?

edit: started mid november, not mid december

International Log fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 8, 2020

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

International Log posted:

whole buncha stuff but link no work

https://vimeo.com/377518116

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Nice work! The color grade is good - crisp and bright, but with a lot of warmth in it too. It's very consistent and the renders are super clean - always tough to manage when working by yourself!

I finished that car scene over the weekend -

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8Y5WySBVly/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

here's a slightly higher quality / longer loop if Instagram is loving with it too much - https://vimeo.com/390538513

The music is a personal edit of this track - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsGTbIoZyQ

Thanks! I didn't do it all by myself tho, colleague helped with the greens and balcony stuff. Getting clean renders was relatively easy by throwing money at it through vray cloud.

Animation is nice, maybe missing some moblur? Just the right amount in the images I suppose.