Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lurian posted:

It's kind of lucky to find some schools even teaching Cinema 4D honestly. Maya accounts are much more expensive than C4D, so it most likely comes down to "What programs are used today, and how expensive are the licenses."

As a student though, it's nice that Autodesk was handing out free 3-year watermarked licenses to students. I've definitely taken what I've learned in C4D and transfered some stuff to Maya.

Where you go to school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PAnick posted:

Of course! Lowpoly Torso bust
Import obj and sculpt away!

concerned mom Thanks. I got tons of recordings actually. As soon as I get some spare time I'll upload them as well.

Like this video of some really old game models (some all the way from 2007)
Youtube video

Ghost character from a competition:

Fantastic work man, holy hell. You post stuff on Zbrush Central at all?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone going to Siggraph this week?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Has anybody tried the Source Filmmaker? I was kinda interested in learning it just for fun, but I´m thinking that maybe that's a waste of time.
Keep in mind you'll be limited to mostly Valve assets for the time being though the Gmod community has imported a ton of stuff from other games. I actually made a thread if you want to see it in Games

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493102

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Chernabog posted:

Cool, I didn't know that thread. I was mostly thinking about using it to practice 3D animation without having to make or rig characters.

I think it's a good streamlined program if you want to practice storyboarding ideas. Honestly I'm a firm believer that if you want to get into animation, you should pay your dues and learn the fundamentals at some point. You want to be able to stay flexible and not let the limitations of something like this hold you back. That's not to say once you learn you can't use this to save time

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah if you want to CG in a stable environment you should probably do medical and dental work

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059067?refcatid=13&printerfriendly=true

Maybe not completely dead, however DD have seemingly lost a horrifying large amount of money over the past five years.

2007: $20 million loss on $73.7 million in revenue
2008: $15.3 million loss on $85.1 million in revenue
2009: $19.3 million loss on $70.8 million in revenue
2010: $42 million loss on $105 million in revenue
2011: $141 million loss on $99 million in revenue
trailing twelve months: $80 million loss on $102 million in revenue

Those numbers were taken from an internal (not DD) message board though, so I'm not sure where they came from specifically. Take with a pinch of salt...

Not too far off

CNN posted:

As of June 30, the company had assets of $205 million and debts of $214 million.

:stare: How the hell does this keep happening to the biggest VFX houses? I swear it's like VFX studios all decided that Hollywood Accounting was an actual thing that should be used to run a real business

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

e: I should suffix this with while we all work for a large VFX firm, none of us are involved with either the financial side or the bidding side, so ultimately the entire conversation we had was based around things we'd heard.

It's you artists who are killing the industry! Did you really think those Aeron chairs and foosball tables materialized out of nothing? Did you think those fridges stocked themselves with brand name sodas?

What price your Aeron chair? :argh:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

dotalchemy posted:

Heh, I actually work in IT Ops, so my chair is a hand-me-down from those artists who are killing the industry and brand name soda requires leaving the basement, which us neckbeard root's are not allowed to do.

Don't even get me started on the state of our departments pinball machine :(

But look on the bright side, free air conditioning in the server room!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone here (know) a good character animator looking for some side work? Message me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Welp, so much for that mad-as-hell-and-I-can't-it-anymore-speech from the R&H people or Ang Lee. Guess it's back to unionizing

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Geared Hub posted:

I think that's the ticket, there's good money and stability in other forms of CG work from accident recreation and other forms of forensic animation, CAD for rapid prototyping and CNC, product visualization, arch viz, etc.

Film VFX is sexy, and everyone and their dog wants in on that business to the point where they are willing to work for FREE to get their foots in the door.

Ah well, a few more years and I'm out :) I'll get a plasma cutter and a CNC machine and start making stuff with solidworks.
Yeah the trick really does seem to be, find that niche in an industry for whom CG is still "oh wow that is amazing! I will give you all the money to make cool things to impress clients/customers who are easily impressed!" as opposed to the VFX (AND game industry) who are like "yeah you can jump high, but this guy can jump higher. What else can you do for me?"

Illuminti posted:

Good point, I'm from London and I have to say it was quite a treat to work in Vancouver for 2 years and get overtime pay. I once worked 3 months of 12 to 18 hour days 6 days a week with no more pay than if i had done 9-5, 5 days a week.

drat, and I had always thought London had it good, but then again if you are the guys undercutting LA then you have to be hurting too. It's all one big game of financial sadomasochism. At least you guys already have benefits :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

speaking of 3D scanning what's the go-to next step up device after the Kinect in terms of price point/quality?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone know the best place to hire someone to do some photogrammetry captures? I know this probably falls within pretty much any vfx job really so uh....vfxjobs.com? Artstation, Cgsociety?

I'm in the US and would be asking for assets from say Mexico

I can't imagine someone on Fiver or taskrabbit doing it...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gearman posted:

I could help you with the scope but don't have the time to do it myself. Are the assets that need to be scanned in Mexico?

Yeah, do you happen to be there? I guess the broader issue is the asset can be anywhere in the world, just a question of which artist pool is the best to draw from

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Has anyone used Mixamo? It's basically a stock library of action animations right? I had a short but specific animation I was looking to recreate this using a turbosquid model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIojHwo_4XM

but I can't rig/animate to save my life

SVU Fan posted:

I seem to remember there being some Blender people in here. Anybody looking for a job? I'm looking to hire somebody with a specialty in lighting/texturing/rendering interiors for a full time, good paying job in the greater Los Angeles area. Must be a blender user because of a proprietary workflow.

Have you tried the DMA LA usergroup? I literally don't know anyone who uses Blender professionally but you might some luck with a young artist who learned off that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

My friends at corridor digital got this young guy as an intern who does Blender stuff but he's taken. I could ask where they find these open source kids

Keket posted:

Busy working on Star Citizen I'm afraid. Otherwise I'd be all the gently caress over this ;-;

I'm afraid too honestly

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 29, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Anyone got stories of people getting hit with software piracy suits? Company or individuals

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

are they mostly finding out through the snitching hotline? Is there some backend way to know besides "oh hey we saw your showreel for that one Saatchi promo, thanks for name dropping our product. Say, your licenses in order? We notice you have X number of employees and yet our records show...."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What's everyone's go to render these days? I like the speeds I see on Redshift but wonder if anyone with experience can pinpoint the cons

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Tangential question but is art station supposed to be a pro/serious site, or can I throw my crap render practices in there like some sort of Instagram for CG?

most people seem to put their best foot forward

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ironically insta seems to have a big fish/small pond thing for CG artists since the selfie models are extra impressed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just a whitepaper right now but this....

https://grail.cs.washington.edu/projects/wakeup/

Photo Wake-Up: 3D Character Animation from a Single Photo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G63goXc5MyU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean bitcoin fell below profitable mining and is hovering around there

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Someone help me budget, my family is dying!

Does anyone know who the artist who did this is? All I can find is reddit comments from people who take way too many drugs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anyone messed with deepfake stuff? Wanted to get some benchmarks for time since average seems to be around a week

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

anyone use image based 3d modeling tools? I was recommended Reality Capture though I know there's a bunch of options (even free)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gearman posted:

If you're talking about Photogrammetry then, yes. What kind of info are you looking for?

Recommendations based on personal experience

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cubicle gangster posted:

Finished that project!
https://vimeo.com/352850294

It was supposed to be a visual metaphor but I'm not sure that lands. Very intentionally as far removed from day-job work as possible. Lots of fx, all phoenix & tyflow.

Been posting the assets to my instagram for the last 2 weeks, so that sort of works as a reverse-making of now that it's done.
https://www.instagram.com/neilgrfis/

nice!

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 10, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh hey that’s like a ten minute drive from me

It’s cut like a video game trailer if that’s what you meant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

When there’s no more room in Vancouver/New York/Sydney/London the dead will buy Los Angeles

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's an obj file. Already got some help on it from the 3d printing thread, but if you want to take a peek at the file or just have it to edit/work on, let me know and I can send you a link for it.

Thanks for offering to help :). I appreciate it!

link to thread out of curiousity?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

any solo freelancers seeing an uptick in work? My Czech buddy who left The Mill (granted that was way back into the beforetimes) said he's getting more busy than ever. Another moved to Texas to work at Already Been Chewed and left after probably not even six months if that to go back to freelancing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

500 posted:

Reminds me of how the Blender artist Ian Hubert will often achieve near-photorealism just by smashing together a bunch of 3D scans and photo textures.

I honestly think I learned 3D with the wrong mentality. One where I spend all my time trying to make the details 'technically' correct. It ends up slowing me down and my stuff looks worse because of it. It makes me think back to some advice I learned while trying to learn digital painting a few years ago. The artist talked about how total accuracy is not that important. What's important is that what the viewer is seeing lines up with their experience. There isn't one single way to light the box you're adding to the scene, for example. The box could be lit in several different ways and still look 'correct' if it matches what the viewer expects to see in a situation such as this one.

https://twitter.com/Mrdodobird/status/1270923991968960512

Ian Hubert is so good it's crazy what he does as one person

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

500 posted:

Made this interactive 3D map experiment while procrastinating on more important side projects. Added some fake UI for fun. Screen capture from the browser.

https://i.imgur.com/mfYPpPD.gifv

what did you use for the UI stuff? AE tracks?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

500 posted:

Na it's realtime in a web browser.

tell me more sir

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Don't know if this is the right place or if 3d printing had its own thread. I had a friend mention getting one of these PHROZEN Sonic Mini printers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084FBNLHS?pf_rd_r=A2QQ7D6C53D4PJJS9D2D&pf_rd_p=edaba0ee-c2fe-4124-9f5d-b31d6b1bfbee

I was floored by the price (250!) and he was someone who did a lot of printing as he's a figurine sculpter so he's fairly experienced with using them for production purposes. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts

PublicOpinion posted:

Started making a serious attempt at learning Blender this year, Eevee is a godsend for actually being able to quickly look at things. I tried learning once before but render times were always kind of a hindrance as a hobbyist, at least for me. Been getting way into Ian Hubert's stuff, subscribed to his Patreon and made this as a way to use those assets and try out some of the techniques. Never did any motion graphics stuff before, so the second part was also a lot of learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in55vBxW9bo

been thinking about doing his patreon. How does it work, do you get everything from the beginning up to this point or just the stuff from when you started paying?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

big sale in Unreal Marketplace

is it bad I want to buy this because he reminds me of the Mystery of the Druids guy?

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/dark-knight-06

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Slothful Bong posted:

Lmao I would kill for a 3090 right now.

Doing another massive print piece (36,000 * 18,000 final res), and due to the stuff I learned on Penn, I’ve been really pushing my skill set. Of course this means way more UDIMs and heavier geo, which has been hurting my poor 1070.

Nothing like trying to manage ~500 UDIM sets across 6 painter files because my drat machine can’t handle everything consolidated into one!

have you looked into evga step up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://twitter.com/factsonfiIm/status/1407461135041720320

This stuff drives me mad. Why do they need to denigrate our work? We had to replace 90% of the Weta Workshop miniatures with CGI, because the quality was too low.
Also, they're using pictures that are 90% CGI.

Andy Serkis: "It's me, I was the giant Joi. Nobody else"