Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
City of Heroes has only had 2 major griefing incidents that i can think of.

After you complete some missions you will get attacked by an ambush of minions. These are usually really easy to kill for the mission owner but sometimes someone would fly away leaving high level enemies killing low level characters in one hit as they ran past. There is however one high level mission which spawns a giant robot when you complete it. Someone had the idea to use the robot to grief the end game raid. He stood in the middle of the raid zone while 50-100 people tried to kill a giant cell for a rare enhancement. Meanwhile someone on his team completed the mission, causing this to happen.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Su3wa-SnFg0

The second one wouldn't be that remarkable if CoH wasn't primarily a PvE game. Someone found out that you could go in to a PvP zone and get an enemy to confuse you. You could then zone back in to the PvE zones and since you were still confused you could attack other players without being attacked back.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ScwgauwaHFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
For those of you unfamiliar with Second Life, there was a series of 'Second Life Safaris' chronicled on the front page, with some really amusing efforts put forth by the SL goons. The old SL threads here used to be storehouses of hilarity too.

With regards to that last CoH video, it should also be noted that the setting is the place for people to hang out, and where most newbies end up spawning in after character creation. A slaughter of lambs? Oh, yes indeed.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
Man, those bits on SL makes me want to install it again. poo poo you could have fun. Plus, every now and then you would find secret passages and poo poo made by property owners. So loving cool. The best was finding a secret club beneath another club. I managed to glitch in. When they said, "Who are you?" I said it was cool, I knew Joseph. They let me stay they for a solid hour loving around with all the cool things they had there. Tons of sex toys and poo poo. Real creepy but funny.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

I'm surprised that none of the victims have posted in this thread to confront their griefers.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't know how much it counts as griefing, but in WoW when I was really bored I created an alt called Grammarman and had him stand in Stormwind, correcting everyone in the general channel on their grammar. I hid myself away so people wouldn't come and /spit and the number of threats that I'd be reported was high enough to make it all worthwhile.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

amazing things

This almost makes my want to try Second life. Is W-hat or whatever the goon group was called still up?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Can some one loving explain second life to me? I have laughing at all these hilarious griefing stories but have no idea how the game actually works?

I mean I guess there is a 3d modeling program built into the game? But then how do you do things like create guns that push people 2 miles or make floors open up? It all seems drat loving complicated.

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!
Think of Second Life as "3D INTERNET AND CHAT ROOM" with that ingame 3d modeler.

There's quite the learning curve to building, scripts and meshes and what have you, but you don't have to learn what you don't want to learn...although they are pretty valuable skills.

There's almost no wall to wall security. You can pretty much break and enter someones house by issuing the command "Sit in this guys chair".

Join SL. Make cool stuff.

(Ingame Screenshot)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah, I think ill jump back into Second Life now that I have a bigger Hard Drive.

Speaking of that, I used to be a jerk in The Sims Online. I would walk into people's houses and go lay on their sofa's and was just a mean person overall. I can't believe that I played that game solidly for a month. It was dull, really dull.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Peoples SL stories make it way more glamorous then it is :smith:. The learning curve is pretty drat big, and I wouldn't expect anyone to make something like in this thread anytime soon.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

drunken officeparty posted:

Peoples SL stories make it way more glamorous then it is :smith:. The learning curve is pretty drat big, and I wouldn't expect anyone to make something like in this thread anytime soon.

I tried SL briefly almost a year ago. I made my character an obese pinhead wearing an american flag shirt and a thong, flew around for about an hour, then gave up. If I knew how to make some of the weird objects like people have been describing, it'd be good for a laugh.

My favorite griefing story: QWTF, playing Hunted.

For those of you unfamiliar with QWTF, Hunted was different from its TFC counterpart. There were three teams: President (blue), bodyguards (red), and assassins (yellow). The President was a special civilian class with 50 health, no armor, and only an axe for self-defense. The bodyguards could be soldiers, medics, demomen, and maybe some other class I can't remember right now. The assassins could only be snipers. Assassins got team points for taking out the pres, and the pres/bodyguards got team points for getting the pres all the way to the goal point which was conveniently in a nice open area that invited snipers to take him out.

At least, that's how the map was designed. Bodyguards and assassins could bypass the class selection menu entirely and be whatever class they wanted by simply typing the class name in the console. This meant that unless an anal admin was on, you could end up with assassin heavies/engies/medics setting up a virtual base just outside the pres's starting building and raping anyone that tried to leave. Also, because the pres was technically on a different team from the bodyguards, the bodyguards could kill him.

One day I connected to a server playing Hunted and found that the president couldn't even make it out of the building because a bodyguard had switched to spy and was swinging his knife from behind the pres's spawn point. Soon a second spy joined in. I finally said gently caress it and became a spy too. We started lobbing gas grenades around (in QWTF they have a great trippy color-shifting effect) and I was laughing my rear end off at the surreal spectacle of a blue guy appearing and instantly turning into gibs over and over while the walls swam around and changed colors. Eventually this crashed the server. I wish I had a demo of it because it was the funniest loving thing I'd ever seen in QWTF.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

GenericEric posted:

Chop chop, Master Onion!

Are there any decency laws (apart from the obvious illegal stuff)? Are there any limits to your avatar's design? (it looks like on the last page the poster's avatar was Thomas the Tank Engine and some giant flesh monster...) I ask because I was wondering whether there was a size limit for your character.

GenericEric
Dec 1, 2005

A rare goon appeared!

LLCoolJD posted:

Are there any decency laws (apart from the obvious illegal stuff)? Are there any limits to your avatar's design? (it looks like on the last page the poster's avatar was Thomas the Tank Engine and some giant flesh monster...) I ask because I was wondering whether there was a size limit for your character.

As far as copyrights, I don't recall any incident where anybody ever as been contacted by angry people demanding they stop wearing/selling concepts of the rightful owners' design.

People keep selling lucky star/power rangers/carebears avatars, and the world keeps on turning.

On the subject of size limits, There isn't much of one. furries design 50ft avatars all the time because duh, they have a fetish for everything...but if you're talking about how many objects you can wear on one avatar, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how much space you have. I've yet to hit the limit, and I use way too many objects as is.

I think the only problems I've had with Second Life is
  • How easily you can get ejected/banned from an area with land owner on site
  • How solid the client actually is (not)
  • The learning curve
  • aaand a small fee for uploading textures, meshes, animations and sounds (10$L or 0.34$)

\/\/\/\/: Couldn't be more right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_the_Rabbit_Hole_(CSI:_NY_episode)

GenericEric fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2008

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Wasn't Second Life the one that had an entire episode of CSI: NY about it? Where Lieutenant Dan chased a furry on a flying surfboard around on a jetpack to get VITAL INFORMATION, and then fought dragons in a coliseum?

It was one of those ones where people said things like "SHE'S BURNING DOWN OUR CODE WALL! ESTABLISHING AN ANTI-VIRAL DEFENSE BASE! IT'S NO USE! SHE'S TOO FAST! SHE'S STEALING OUR INTERNET WITH A COMPLEX ALGORITHM"

BrockStar
Jan 3, 2004

I'm not sure if I'd count this as griefing, although its intention is to frustrate and annoy another person.

There's a source mod called "The Hidden." The premise is that a team of players with firearms attempt to kill a single highly mobile player armed with a knife and a predator-like cloak.

The hidden has three attacks:
-A standard knife swipe doing about 35 damage to the chest, and slightly less if hits a limb.
-A set of pipe bombs, usually limited (up to three) by how many total players are on the server.
-A secondary knife attack, called the "pigstick." It has a delayed charge (about 1.5 seconds), makes an audible sound when first triggered, but will instantly kill if it makes contact (depending on server stability and ping, it often won't). The main offset of this is that the player's ragdoll is gibbed, and thus cannot be fed off of to regain health (up to 25 for non-gibbed corpses).

If you're playing against a good hidden and not watching your surroundings, you may find yourself pigsticked without ever seeing his blur or hearing a footstep. A great many players abhor the use of the pigstick (at least when it's used against them), and many servers have it disabled.

This game doesn't have a large community, at peak hours you would be lucky to find ten active servers, perhaps one of which will give you a ping less than 100. What's particularly amusing is when a player enters a server with the pigstick enabled, and gets mad beyond belief when it is used. Double for the shotgun if they themselves ever become the hidden (despite being vastly inferior to the sub-machine gun, a lucky shotgun shell can be a new player's best chance at a kill).

Enter the prodigal son of stormfront.org: MadPup(TM). His spray consists of a black man with "friend of the family" written in impact font. He will use voicechat to dish out such witticisms as: "gently caress you friend of the family," "loving friend of the family," and "go eat a watermelon."

Despite being such a complete pro-gamer, he chooses to play at a server labeled "beginner" which has pigstick enabled. Strangely, the same people who run it also run an identical "expert" server with it disabled. Rather than go to a server with a slightly higher ping, he chooses a gamemode he abhors and attempts to enforce his version of the rules.

Using the pigstick? Initiate a votekick. Using the shotgun? Initiate a votekick. Throwing multiple grenades at a player (him) hiding in a vent? Initiate a votekick. Choosing one of the black player models? Voteban that friend of the family-lover.

Every time I can identify him, I make it my mission to multi-nade him. If you're going to be silly and waste a grenade on a single target, you may as well waste two (or three). If by luck or poor timing he survives, he always, always dies to a pigstick, regardless of how much health he has remaining, or how silly it may be to use it.

You think you've seen people getting mad over videogames? You haven't met this guy. Altalk is on, so his cries of "I WILL poo poo DOWN YOUR MOTHER'S THROAT YOU loving friend of the family" are like sweet brandy.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

BrockStar posted:

You think you've seen people getting mad over videogames? You haven't met this guy. Altalk is on, so his cries of "I WILL poo poo DOWN YOUR MOTHER'S THROAT YOU loving friend of the family" are like sweet brandy.

Doesn't sound much different than your typical FPS player.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
TF2 surf servers are the greatest because both the jail and spawn areas are incredibly easy to camp. I have pics (on my Mac right now :( ) of one team fortifying the jail area in this one surf map with 4-5 sentries and dispenser for pyros to spam the jail spawn. I think all the pyros got around 200 kills per round just sitting in front of the jail and torching any goon unfortunate enough to fall off the map.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Ah, the joy of grief. I personally griefed the poo poo out of the playerbase of a MUD/MOO called HellMOO. It has open PvP, mostly lootable corpses and best of all, no way to store your gear in a completely safe void such as a bank account.

Now, when we were just starting out(me and 2 other people), lockpicking was underrated but also extremely underpowered. To fully understand this, you need to know how doors worked then: Every door had 10 locks. The locks would relock themselves in a few minutes. On top of that, anyone inside could relock them, as well as bar the door with a wooden door bar. Wooden door bars made that door completely impossible to open to anyone but the owner and residents of the apartment. You could also teleport out of your apartment after barring the door, making it impossible to break in. You also racked up stars that indicated how much the police hates you. Basically, even one pick attempt would alert the law(and players with easily acquired police scanners) to your presence, so you'd have to be quick about it.

Now, lockpicks cost a huge amount of cash(which was hard to make short of exploits which popped up every now and then) and broke after two pick attempts. At the time we started, it would take about 3-4 pick attempts to disable one lock out of ten. This obviously meant people did not attempt robberies very often, but also that nobody would expect them. The reward for a succesful robbery was great, though, as one's apartment was the most safe(and only) place to store items.

In a few weeks, we'd try our brand new lockpicking skills on things such as airplanes and abandoned apartments. After realizing how powerful a lockpicking team combined with a looter who goes in as the rest escape the police. And then, after some disagreements with certain people, the heists began.

People cried out for lockpickings nerfs in terror, as something that hadn't been seen as a threat started risking everyone's apartments. Mind you, while the best gear in HellMOO was storebought, it was also ridiculously expensive. Looting someone's apartment was pretty much setting them back to the same level as people who had just started the game. Soon everyone would mostly camp their homes with their doors barred, trolling chatnet and watching the police scanners for signs of another attack. Despite this, we managed to rob even more people and acquire several millions worth of loot in a short time. For comparision, the most expensive thing to buy in the game was your own mansion complete with orbital laser cannon security which cost one million hellbux.

At this point, the whole thing was run by me and a second person who will be referred to "Joe" from now on, as well as whatever minions we could get to bring the loot back home. That's right, we were an evil organization with minions and everything. We even bought a huge custom-built fortress in the mountains with everything you could think of for corp(the clan/guild equivalent of HellMOO). Known as Fort Enema, it had everything you could think of from clone vats(respawn/character saving points) to research stations(expensive machines used to discover crafting items).

This continued on and on, and eventually there was a major change to lockpicking that removed door bars and made the lockpicking process extremely cheap, fast, and very easy to grind to superhuman levels(as opposed to ridiculously difficult). Apartments were only safe if you were logged out inside. This meant me and Joe had huge amounts of cash and gear lying around which was in huge danger at all times when the owner of the fort(that's me) logged in. We worked around this by giving Joe as much access as myself to everything as myself so I could log out, making the fortress invulnerable while Joe could do whatever inside the fort.

However, we grew tired of this, as we couldn't really do anything since it would mean all the people who we've robbed along the way would come knocking with their newfound lockpicking abilities(this was most of the playerbase by now). At this point, I believe our wealth was a little under half of the game's total wealth. It was then when we delivered the final blow to the playerbase: we destroyed every single item in our possession and abyssed(permanently deleted) our characters, so that nobody could ever get back at us or get our e-riches. The playerbase thought they had finally gotten rid of us after about a year of robbing them dry and slaughtering them. It was only a few hours later when we made our new builder(minor admins who create content) characters known to them which were offered to us while we were destroying all our stuff. I should really go finish my area I started making.

Of course, all this led to hilarious amounts of seperate drama. If there's interest, I can post more about subjects such as The Suicidal Midget, The Blind Menace, Joe's 15-Year Old Stalker and Kitty The Fat Vampire.

MiF fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 2, 2008

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

MiF posted:

Of course, all this led to hilarious amounts of seperate drama. If there's interest, I can post more about subjects such as The Suicidal Midget, The Blind Menace, Joe's 15-Year Old Stalker and Kitty The Fat Vampire.
Please do, these sorts of stories are fantastic.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Spinning Robo posted:

This almost makes my want to try Second life. Is W-hat or whatever the goon group was called still up?

W-hat is still around. We now own the private island "what"

The problem with Second Life is it's got a rather steep learning curve - at least to new players. Lots of people load it up, have difficulty using the controls, bitch that it doesn't play like Halo and it needs some investment of time and give up right away.

It's also not a laugh a minute amazing adventure like the screenshots and stories show. Alot of the time is standing around, shooting the poo poo with goons like a 3D IRC channel and just waiting for something to happen. To get the most out of it, you really need to be pro-active and go out exploring and stumbling across events, or hang out with some people that do. Also learn to build as soon as you can - it's easy and you can essentially make anything once you're good at it.

Alot of the older goons (like me :( ) are still around, but are generally reserved in what we do in fear of getting banned. When you have invested several years in your account and lots of stuff you've created, you really don't want to lose it.

But enough about that poo poo, I probably have enough Second Life stories to start a separate thread:

Back around late 2006/ early 2007 Second Life really hit the glass ceiling in terms of membership. News organizations everywhere were reporting on this amazing 3d future and how joe middle-gently caress from Kansas wherever, Arizona was now a multimillionare from selling virtual earrings. Along with this came alot of corporate interest too - Companies were creating virtual islands left and right as a new tool to market with, (but typically failed in their efforts, since Second Life users are generally insular, don't go anywhere new in Second Life and don't want to be marketed to.) Along with that came some 'celebrity endorsements,' with interviews with people like 'Bruce Willis' and well known bands such as "Duran Duran."

I remember probably at about the 57th reported "virtual first!" press conference by a real world business in Second Life, Reggie Fils-aime - (The president of Nintendo America) talked to a group of people about Nintendo's upcoming plans. Finding out about this I had to get in on the action.

I went to the event much earlier than it started, and found Reggie just idling around, obviously with no one in control of his character. I then proceeded to have fun with his AFK avatar, taking various pictures and poses and giggling like an immature child throughout. Some other goons came and added to the fun.

tee hee.

Then, in preparation of his arrival, I replaced all the "Reuters" giant TV screens with big "REGGIE" banners that honoured his mighty presence. The Reuters employees either didn't mind or neglected to notice this as they lasted the entire show. As people started filling in the seats awaiting his arrival, I gave them REGGIE hats and flags to wear to celebrate with me.

Even Reggie himself got in on the fun.

Right in the middle of the conference, I decided to switch the textures on all the REGGIE TV screens to show the footage of my previous shennanigans with a idle reggie, on a giant screen, right infront of everybody in the audience. I then proceeded to flash back and forth between the Reggie banners and this picture quickly, so that those astute enough would notice it.

There was a few chuckles and gasps in the audience from people that caught on, and I don't know if the Reuters team or Reggie ever noticed it since they were facing the opposite direction. I was laughing my rear end off the entire time though. I'm one of the few people who can say they virtually raped the President of Nintendo.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Isometric Bacon posted:

Something wonderful

I knew this was going to be a good night. Bravo.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004
While I never did anything quite as bastardly as some of you have, I did enjoy loving around in EQ.

One of my favorite things to do was sit by the elevator button on the top of Kelethin and constantly spam it so people were stuck on the elevator and had to try and rush forward to get off. Now this is where I had to get my timing down perfectly, because when they'd start running forward trying to get off I'd hit the button again at the right instant and the elevator would start going back down and with a little luck they'd keep running right off the elevator and die from the fall.

Also, I once purposely aggro'd the Avatar of Fear in Cazic Thule before it became a high level zone and waited until he ran all the way to the top of the zone and started beating on me. Since I was a Monk I just feigned death and let him go on a little rampage, killing just about everyone in the zone.

And I crashed more weddings than I could count, goddamn I really miss the griefing in that game.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

My God.

You virtu-raped Reggie.

I can imagine a thousand hamfists pounding away at their keyboards to post outraged comments to GoNintendo.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

Isometric Bacon posted:

secondlife

I am crying here. Please PLEASE show us more

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Sestze posted:

Please do, these sorts of stories are fantastic.

Seconding this statement.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

NOTHING will ever beat the good SL stories. Someone needs to post the pictures and tell the story of W-Hat messing with the casino next door, erecting huge billboards right outside their windows. I tried the trial but my old computer was too crappy to keep up. Whoever has the idea of dumping toxic waste and the plastic rings from 6 packs into the river nonstop was a genius.

WoW isn't that constructive for griefing. You cant hardly train anything, cant loot player corpses, it really is a pve game. Not to say I don't try the only way I can.

I have over 1100 health in my pvp gear at level 10. I could hit 1300, but I would have to remove the Ripped Ogre Loincloth and get the better stamina kit. Non-twinks in the level 10-19 bracket pvp have around 300. So some 19 sees a level 10 and runs over to get an easy kill. Jokes on them when I kill them with a broom. More then a few people on my side often yell at me and get all mad because I'm level 10 and ruining their game. My friend Wagonboy has developed a small following on the alliance side in our battlegroup among the low level pvpers for doing the same.

Run for your life Mr. Rogue!

Dancing on the alliance flag spawn.

This is a chat log from some guy that was ranting about how pot is all about peace and would solve war, and he smokes for religious reasons. Pot is all natural and healthy and put here by god duuuuude. You can see my partner Wagonboy in there trading for Aboriginal Carvings, a junk item that looks like a naked fat lady, if you look close.

Mice Everywhere
Sep 7, 2007

I love animal porn! So F* you if you don't accept that!
Holy poo poo these second life stories are killing me. I'll probably never play the game myself so please, post more.

IroncladTomato
Oct 29, 2007

"Let me tell you the story of a henchman named Speedy..."

Isometric Bacon posted:

e-rape and e-humiliation

loving poo poo Second Life really has no rules, it's potential for griefing is theoretically limitless. I love it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuzzyPickles posted:

NOTHING will ever beat the good SL stories. Someone needs to post the pictures and tell the story of W-Hat messing with the casino next door, erecting huge billboards right outside their windows. I tried the trial but my old computer was too crappy to keep up. Whoever has the idea of dumping toxic waste and the plastic rings from 6 packs into the river nonstop was a genius.

I made the pipes pumping out the toxic waste with the pulses going only the tube like it was backed up.

Also made an item that spawned floating dead fish from beneath that deleted themselves after 20 seconds.

Also made a spawning sheep that dropped into a tub and as soon as it hit a particle blood spray was emitted from below as long as the sheep was in the tube. It was a sensor so anyone could hop in and spray that blood out.

Also had that factory music going.

edit: But I didn't make the toxic barrel launcher that flung barrels upstream so there would be a constant flow of barrels going right past that casino.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

The Suicidal Midget, as requested :)

Now, HellMOO drew in a lot of strange people. It has the standard POST-CYBERPOCALYPSE atmosphere which surely appeals to many, as well as having a working sex system, which in turn attracted even stranger folks. ZedXionova, however, took the cake.

Zed, as we called him, was a midget. He was also paraplegic. He lived in a trailer. You'd really think things could not go much worse for him, but that would be wrong.

You see, Zed had some serious mental issues. Not only was he an INCREDIBLY whiny person, he would get close to people(as close as you can get in an online game), hiring newbies into his corps and generally being nice to people, especially the lovely women of HellMOO. The facade would never last very long, as Zed would sooner or later show his true self, being a complete dick to everyone and going off on tantrums about whatever was bothering him. Most people ended up loathing him, and after the raging subsided, he'd never quite understand why.

As this went on, the admins finally got tired of him bugging them to implement his ideas. They made him his own apartment in Necropolis, a dead city full of zombies, ghosts, and creatures made of concrete and random junk called Junkers that could kill most people in a few hits. They'd also make him his very own mutation(Think perks from Fallout) that would make him get attention from the law as soon as he stepped foot in the city, approppriately named hideous freak. It also made using the global chat system actually cost money for him for every message because most people really wanted him to shut the hell up.

Numerous attempts were made to make him quit the game. He was robbed until he didn't bother getting anything of worth back, and killed on sight by almost everyone. He was referred to as "babylegs" until the admins told us to stop it. This one time he almost quit life, though.

Another player(Known as Crowbar) had apparently found his corpse, and on it his only possessions: his weapons. Even those weren't worth terribly much, but he started freaking out over them, as Crowbar had been all buddy-buddy with Zed in the past. Zed started making death threats, at which point Crowbar latched onto the threats and told Zed he'd get a restraining order.

At this point, Zed COMPLETELY broke down, offering to pay money/give items to crowbar while he had been previously demanding his weapons back as well as a huge sum of money as an apology. Zed then busted out this gem: "You're bringing real-life into it, you're bringing the situation into a realm I can't survive in, I live in a goddamn trailer, my legs don't work, I already can't leave the house, why would you make this worse for me?". After this he, well, had a panic attack. Over a text-based online game. He logged off for the night and the next day we're told by Crowbar that Zed had attempted suicide by choking himself on a paper plate. If only we had been that lucky.

The saga of Zed did not end there, but the rest was fairly boring. He had several meltdowns after being robbed by us many, many times losing several one-of-a-kind items made just for him. He also made an alt that was supposed to be some sort of a KAWAII SCIENTIST SCHOOLGIRL ^__________^ but the hilarity never quite got to the same level as the time he tried to kill himself over a game. Here's a few notable Zed quotes:

- I'm so angry right now my palms are bleeding from fist clenching.
- I've nearly died due to medical complications, yet I've never been as terrified as I was 10 minutes ago.
- The emotional damage has been done, crowbar. If you wanted to scare me, it worked, I'm afraid to even interact with your character now.

Zed has since quit HellMOO, but he'll most likely return one day. In the meantime, you can find him on our very own SA forums! He's registered as Zed Xionova here, although he doesn't seem to have platinum.

I still have a few more I'll post tomorrow if people are interested.

MiF fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 2, 2008

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

MiF posted:

ZedXionova, however, took the cake.

I looked up the dudes name and found the exact chatlog you were talking about.

http://de.pastebin.ca/688834?srch=apologize

haha,

quote:

From your wristpad: ZedXionova pages, 'Then answer me this, was it joe?'

Seems quite ironic the name that you just made up showed up here :)

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

EVIR Gibson posted:

I looked up the dudes name and found the exact chatlog you were talking about.

http://de.pastebin.ca/688834?srch=apologize

haha,

Seems quite ironic the name that you just made up showed up here :)
Joe, in fact, was not a figment of my imagination, but a fellow player and the other half of our robbery team(not counting the minions who come and go). I thought it'd be fitting to call him Joe since that's his name.

EDIT: I also used that exact chatlog as a source since I knew where to find it, but I didn't link it since it's a huge chatlog where you can't see what the other player is saying.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Generally, I try too hard to be a "little goody-two-shoes" in online-gaming, but holy poo poo I have not laughed this heartily in the longest time. Christ, the SL antics alone ooze with sheer greatness, and the various EQ and HellMOOO plots are worthy of Saturday-morning cartoon-villainy.

The closest thing I ever managed was loading det-packs onto vehicles in BF2142 and lying in wait for some saps to fill up the metal coffin before detonating the whole package; except I only did that to the enemy team, and for my team's benefit. Of course, that pales in comparison to Nintendo executive-rape.

I'm a horrible griefer :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

MiF posted:

:words:
Zed has since quit HellMOO, but he'll most likely return one day. In the meantime, you can send him a message on our very own SA forums! He's registered as ZedXionova here.

I still have a few more I'll post tomorrow if people are interested.

Maybe he was banned? When I try to add him to my buddy list, it says thats not a person.

Bobinator
Jun 30, 2008

My rocket is the best... NOT!
I don't play any MMORPGs, but these stories are great.
More Second Life stories please! :)

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Maybe he was banned? When I try to add him to my buddy list, it says thats not a person.
Looks like I remembered wrong - his name was Zed Xionova. In fact, he's online right now!

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.

MiF posted:

... He logged off for the night and the next day we're told by Crowbar that Zed had attempted suicide by choking himself on a paper plate...

That's the best ending any story involving griefing can ever have.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Man I knew none of that stuff about Zed Xionova.
I mean I played SS13 a few times with him and it wasn't too bad but jesus christ. :psypop:

To contribute to the thread, I'd like to talk about Space Station 13.
Now, in this horribly coded and shittily netcoded game, there shines a great nugget of golden truth: It was made for griefing. The creator, who happens to be a whiny 14 year old human being, implemented quite a few things. Namely, a DNA system that lets you edit the very fabric of their existance. For example, your DNA is split into 4 parts:

SI- Whether you are a human or a monkey ingame. (did I mention there were monkeys)

SE- Any diseases, the creator felt like adding things like chronic coughing, epilepsy, tourette's, the need to wear glasses, blindness, ability to hear, ability to speak etc.

UI- This is where most of my hijinks were about, and they control the looks and name of a person.

UE- Does nothing.

So after that brief description, here is the meat of the story:

I was a happy little medical researcher, toiling away in my lab, messing with the different chemicals and gasses and injecting them in my test subject monkeys. When along comes Dick. Now, I was not a friend of Dick, and he did his namesake well. One line of chat led to another and I find myself with a dead security guard in my medical lab and my medical assistant in jail. My medical assistant in question's name was Krinkle, when suddenly I had a genius idea:

I would pull some Gattaca up in this poo poo.

So I mosey my way down to security and ask one of the officers if I can borrow the prisoner for testing. Seeing how that particular officer was rather lazy and didn't care about the prisoners, plus the fact that most test subjects ended up being corpses, he let me take my assistant.

This is where the funky part strolls in, see my assistant happened to be the traitor on the station. (The game designates one player with an objective and a secret radio that lets them spawn items.) I mosey right back to my lab and strip all the DNA out of the dead security officer, making his name appear as unknown and he has no fingertips so he can't leave fingerprints. I replace the traitor's DNA and viola, instant Dick. He goes off and murders the rest of the station while I contently play with the monkeys.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

You're missing the space. And I think that you'd be better off seeing the one that has BOTH sides of the conversation, which has oddly enough disappeared from the internet completely. And it basically started because Crowbar didn't enjoy the fact that I abused my ability to summon all the ridiculously strong crap from the surrounding area to converge on him and tear him apart, then he threatened legal action for "in-game death threats", so I figured I'd mess with his head a bit, so he ended up panicking quite a bit. And notice that the chatlog says nothing about paper plates at all.

I figured if I acted like an annoying jackass I'd fit in with the rest of the playerbase.

Besides, I seem to recall a certain Joe and Mservo getting all whiny about me getting my own area too, http://de.pastebin.ca/1060306

It's pretty much why I left, since most of the goons who played were generally the kind that came from the forums that had 4-letter acronym names. Crowbar was generally pretty cool though.

But yeah, things got blown way outta proportion.

Zed Xionova fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is one of the greatest griefing pictures in existence.

• Locked thread