Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MatterHorn
Jul 28, 2006
I think I played the quarks a bit sharp.

JawnV6 posted:

There's a guy on nethack.alt.org (ironme?) who just rerolls wizards until he gets a scroll of genocide, curses it, then engraves his name and uses the scroll to summon a bunch of ridiculously hard monsters on floor 2 or 3 of the dungeon. Nethack has "bones" files that save a floor and use it in someone else's game, so he basically screws over some other player with impossibly hard monsters right at the start of their game when they hit his bones. For what's essentially a single player game, it's a really creative way to grief others.

The dungeon crawl server has a similar system, when your character dies his ghost can show up in another characters game as a hostile. The ghosts have all the abilities they had in life, perfect spell casting, and a truckload of hit points.

One player created a high level poison mage named Griefer, backtracked him to the temple where characters select their gods, and suicided him. So a few lucky players entered the temple, ate a face full of venom, and bit it. This caused more ghosts to show up in the normally monster free temple, catching more people unaware, and leading to more ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatterHorn
Jul 28, 2006
I think I played the quarks a bit sharp.
^I just guess I've never seen a server with that attitude, and I've played on most of them.

teamdest posted:

Does anyone know how accurate this article actually is? I don't play CoH/CoV, but it starts sounding about as accurate as those episodes of CSI where they enter secondlife and basically just create their own story around it.

From my experience in the game it is a definite CSI moment. The combat areas see tons of combat, and dickish moves are pretty standard. Hell the robot firing line they were talking about doesn't even kill players it just teleports you back to your base.

I'm not sure it counts a greifing since its also valid play, but I had my stalker character (low health with the ability to stealth and do huge damage when exiting stealth) armed with teleport other. Each pvp zone has a base on either end where villians and heroes spawn and I'd spend allot of time hiding just on the other side of the base wall, peaking over it with camera angles, waiting for heroes to enter the zone. Then you teleport them over and optimally one hit kill them. Then when they exit the hospital where they respawned you repeat the process.

I spent a few happy hours chain killing a very angry blaster over and over, moving my ambush location each time. He'd zoom out and move around where I last stabbed him trying to get close enough to de-stealth me and I'd pull him to some odd piece of geometry and paint the wall red. He finally rage quit when I started using hover to teleport him into the air and then I'd activate stab as he fell past and he'd die in mid air.

MatterHorn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 7, 2009

• Locked thread