Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

Another one I remember at one stage we'd set up a semi elaborate dance club, the kind that pubbies come to in droves. We then proceeded to invite some 'guests' by doing a search for all the people who were online with names starting with A, B, C so on, and offering them teleports. (This was before you had to be friends to see who was online and offer teleports. ) Once we had hoardes of pubbies inside, we had a switch that would open up the ground beneath them and make them fall into a pit of lava.

Throwing grenades at your teammates may be funny. But emptying hundreds of people into a pit of lava at a virtual rave party is priceless.

Please post more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

This is one of the greatest griefing pictures in existence.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

John_A_Tallon posted:

No, but in the future set those files to be read only. The next time an admin does that to you, all you will have to do is restart the game and you'll be fine.

Which files are you supposed to write-protect to stop admins from messing with?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

TF2 story

This is a great story and I'd love to see it in action, but don't post the server here or some idiot will almost certainly ruin the joke.

It's such a good grief it's taken on a life of its own.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Does that still work in the PC version?

This is really important information.

As in, I'd-start-up-L4D-right-now important.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

optikalus posted:

I keep unintentionally griefing in Left 4 Dead. The game / players isn't very kind to noobs, heh. I just picked up the game about a week ago.

Take this last game for example..

Playing No Mercy versus, happen to be on zombie side. Its the part of the level where you're rushing to the elevator.

Apparently I'm sucking so badly as a zombie that my team all ragequits, which I didn't even notice because I'm busy loving around at the end of the level (why not). The other team asks if I want to wait for new players or just keep going. By this point, I'm camped out as a smoker right next to a witch, so I say keep going. They come through the door by the staircase where the witch is waiting, and I pounce, die, whatever; not unexpected. They make their way to the elevator, and no new players join. Its 4 on 1, so I'm respawning fairly quickly. I run and get on top of the elevator, explode on them as they reach the under-construction part, they survive a horde. It spawns me as a tank. I run towards the end of the map, and then run back towards them. I incap one person with a generator, throw another two off the building, then chase the last guy around the elevator for a minute or so before I notice that they've all quit as well, but not before leaving a screenfull of expletives.

What did I do?

Mainly? Humiliated them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Grundma posted:

CS

Christ on a cracker, this is hilarious.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I only have one D&D story to contribute.

Before we begin, let's note that we had a shapeshifter in our party, and a rogue who was a total dickhead IC. The setting was this] Our party was infiltrating a gigantic military encampment in order to steal some information on the whereabouts of a very important plot mcguffin. We knew the DM had been planning this adventure for weeks, so we were actually trying to play along and be nice.

We snuck in the back of a small building, only to find ourselves face to face with the general of the army. The rogue promptly tried to stab the general in the face. I looked to my DM and said, "I'll make a roll to try to react and stop him." Rolled a perfect 20 on the table, stopped the rogue, and took the general hostage - but during this fracas the general had managed to start the base alarm. The rogue takes this opportunity to again stab the general in the face - and he succeeds.

Now all of us are stuck in this tiny building, with the full force of an army bearing down on us. In addition, we very clearly have one dead leader of the army bleeding out in our hands. Clearly, the DM had intended for this to be the culminating fight of the campaign.

I have a brainwave. gently caress fighting, let's crap our way out of here.

I tell the shapeshifter to take the general's form. He steps out the door in said form, points in some random direction, and yells, "Enemy intruders... THAT WAY!" The DM, at this point very annoyed, forces him to make a roll for how convincing he is.

He rolls a perfect 20.

The confused troops promptly charge in the wrong direction entirely, out of the camp. By the time the fracas has died down, we've looted the information we needed and exited the camp from the opposite direction. The DM has his head in his hands.

I'm not the best storyteller. You had to be there. The entire thing unfolded in the span of a few minutes, and we were basically winging it the entire way.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It isn't a total waste; you can generally get some use out of all those wasted areas.

In the above instance, all those mid-dungeon traps and puzzles could always find their way into another dungeon.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xinlum posted:

a bad D&D experience

I think you just found a terrible group. The strange Wizard of Oz setting and the dog collar are just two hints at a larger problem.

If you can find a competent GM and a chill group of friends willing to make poo poo up on the fly, give D&D another shot. Tabletops really give you the sort of freedom video game RPGs simply can't by design.

Also, consider finding a group that is using the new edition of D&D (4th ed). They've streamlined the system tremendously so it's more intuitive for new players. Some old farts don't like it - but it's genuinely more accessible and as long as you have a good group you'll lose none of the depth the old editions had.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Xinlum posted:

Hence the reason I tried to get away as soon as I could. I'm not rude/I hate hurting people's feelings, so I had to stay for at least a little bit so I could pretend there was a different reason for leaving.

Anyway, I'm dragging the thread too far off topic. Back to the hilarious griefs please.

I don't know about you, I think a D&D player with a dog collar is pretty hilarious :haw:

Avoid those groups like the plague.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Uhm correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he just playing a hero character and attacking villain characters in a specified combat arena where heroes and villains are supposed to fight each other. I thought the crazy thing about the whole story is that other players call it griefing and get so incredibly worked up about someone that just wants to fight superheros with his superhero... in the designated superhero fighting area.

I mean what's the point of making a superhero if you never fight other superheros?

To dress up in tights and play fancy-nancy.

I mean, I played CoX for a bit and some of the people who populate that game are astonishing.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Drox posted:

whoever it is that says "la" all the time flavoryou.

totalnewbie posted:

Singapore. They have terrible, terrible internet so I'm not sure how they could even play the drat game.

I'm from Singapore, and I'm loving embarrassed by our online community.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Emalde posted:

Tell your friends to stop using "la le li lo lu liao" as periods because holy drat nothing has ever managed to become more of a pet peeve to me while playing lovely korean mmo games

We speak an odd creole of English, called Singlish, in Singapore. Those "la leh" things are actually valid sentence endings, each with a different connotation.

The reason so many of us are loving embarrassed by our online community is because people don't know how to turn their loving brains back on and speak proper English.

Grief them hard for me if you see them.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That second image of "Sonic" has me in stitches.

I didn't know you could make wearable buildings, either. Are those just obnoxiously large outfits?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Not the ultimate holy gently caress grief or anything, but a fun way to get an entire server pissed at you in UT came from the fact that in the .ini file, you could bind a single key to do multiple and unrelated actions. So, as Annoying_Man, I bound every movement key to also say to the server what that movement was:

Annoying_Man: Now I am running forwards!
Annoying_Man: Now I am strafing left!
Annoying_Man: Now I am jumping!
Annoying_Man: Now I am switching to the rocket launcher!

Messages would scroll non-stop, making any legit team messages anyone typed (these were the days before voice com) scroll through the window too fast to be read, annoying the gently caress out of everyone until they were all shouting (i.e., typing in CAPS so I knew they meant business) to shut the gently caress up.

I have to admit, this is simple, crude, elegant and effective.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

One grief that still works in the latest iteration of Battlefield (1943) Load up a landing craft and drive it out of bounds. They can either spend 5 minutes swimming back to shore, suicide, or get killed when the boundary timer expires.

Weren't you able to park the back half of a flying transport outside the boundary so that the passengers would be hosed over but the pilot would not? In the older Battlefields, at least.

It's been a while, I don't remember.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

I RESPECTED YOU GOONS!

somehow I think this is the root problem here

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Jzmisgoo posted:

So TF2 had a pretty sweet update today. Allowing Macs to play. Well Valve made another one time only item that only players who play on a mac can get: Ipod earbuds

If you can grab one of these, change your name to something Apple related, bind a key to say something like "you just killed by a Mac", and keep touting how superior Mac users are at TF2 than PC users. You will rage dumb nerds 100%.

Here are some choice quotes from the steamforums.

This is loving majestic. I am going to install TF2 for just one game on my Mac, just for this.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Zeether posted:

Apparently it's easy to grief Star Trek Online players by saying stuff like how Voyager was a good series. I might test this.

STO is grief heaven.

All you need to do to start a shitstorm is to ask in zone chat (the "global" chat) why the Federation needs loving cat people, then watch as the furries come out to wildly defend their turf.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Oh god it's the Delamore scam.

I remember the good old days - forming Team Robosexual (ten robotics players) and hanging off the side of the map hoping the enemy team wouldn't see us.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Miijhal posted:

I'm personally fond of they fact that they attempted to blackmail him but forgot the demands.

Actually, it's because the mail system in GA cuts you off after a certain number of characters but doesn't bother to tell you this when you're sending your mails.

When I did that hexgame mode I would regularly get super mad mails from agency leaders which were always just about getting to the good part when they would cut off. I'd always send back something like "sorry, what was the second half of your message? couldn't read that" and end up on ignore.

Goons did a lot of griefing in GA. A lot.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The goons in Star Trek Online have been very active recently in griefing the poo poo out of people.

You see, Star Trek Online is a game that attracts the best kind of roleplay possible. These erotic roleplayers live out their sexual captain fantasies in space, including wonderful things like bridge RP (everyone gets on the bridge of a ship and pretends to do their thing, like being an engineer or whatever.)

Naturally, goons constantly raid these RP hangouts for laughs.

Last night, we managed to get ourselves named the subject of a MAJOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION. Here's the crosspost from the STO thread.

-----

The goon special ops division was doing the usual hang-out-at-Drozana (THE roleplaying hangout in Star Trek Online) spiel when we ran into someone named Gunney@gunnerland who was roleplaying a bartender. That means he stands behind the bar and pretends to serve other roleplayers drinks.

Naturally, one of us logged in to his fat naked Orion male and started dancing wildly on the bar.

Gunney didn't like this and made some very disparaging remarks which we responded to with fire extinguishers. After a few minutes of this, Gunney decided he'd had enough! He challenged us to a PVP match:

Having lost the match in horrible, spectacular fashion, Gunney and friends were not happy and started insulting us in trade chat. This went on for several minutes - Gunney is not good with words - before they warped out. Of course, we couldn't let this stand, so we used the player search function to locate their team and literally chased them around the galaxy.

Eventually, Gunney returned to Drozana, and boy oh boy was he mad! He'd managed to recruit a little posse for himself, including someone in a dual heavy cannon Bortasqu (a ship with a motherfucking turn rate of 5) who claimed he could beat anyone in a one-on-one, and someone else in a wonderful beamscort Guramba. For those not in the know, a Bortasqu is a gigantic fat space whale with a horrible turn rate, and cannons have the smallest firing arc - he literally would not have been able to hit anything with that ship. Putting beams on a Guramba - a fast, nimble ship - is also a terrible idea game-wise, so these people we were fighting were not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

In contrast, the goon PVP team practices regularly for exactly these occasions, and is pretty loving good.

Gunney and friends proceeded to CHALLENGE US AGAIN, stating that if we managed to beat him with all these epic people in his team we must be hackers.

This is where things got really, really good:

For context, here, Gunney did 97 damage. That is less damage than a single shot from a heavy cannon. Gunney literally did gently caress-all.

Gunney and co. proceeded to call us cyber-criminals of the highest order, in what can only be described as a total loving meltdown:

uhm dude im runnig a special program to spot hackers why are your ships spikin it

were reporting you for unauthorized content, hacking, harrassment and several other cyber crimes

this will likely be the subject of a criminal investigation

I have no doubt in my mind that the CIA will be picking you up as criminals

You "Winners/Non-hackers" are also "Trollers who dictate and say that we dont hack"

Oats will come in and post the rest of the stuff we missed in this post, but - yeah.

:siren:the CIA will be picking you up as criminals:siren:

Kessel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 25, 2012

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

1stGear posted:

Did goons post the scoreboards on the STO forums?

No, but we did discuss the events with the OrganisedPVP channel, which is full of regular PVPers.

Of course, what this resulted in was all the regulars in OPVP sending Gunney tells, offering to challenge his team. Gunney eventually had to log off because he was getting hit so hard.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

dyzzy posted:

Hang on... is that the kuuenbu?

As a grief, all of us have at least one character named Kuuenbu, which we use sometimes in grief matches.

Imagine a fleet of five Kuuenbuus, all in their U.S.S. U.S.S.R., flying towards you.

If anyone asks, we link that video.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If you really want to see how stupid and horrible the average MMO player is, come on over to our Star Trek Online thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3517047. The goons in Star Trek Online run one of the most concentrated pubbie-griefing operations in any of our games.

We're currently playing ERP bingo, where you go around collecting screenshots of the worst bios you can find. Here's the bingo card we're using:

Please note that the contest has only been running one and a half days, and several goons have already filled the entire loving card.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Cleretic posted:

City of Heroes pretty much started the 'bio bingo' thing, and several parts of that card has crossover with some of the CoH cards. I have the last one saved.]

I filled half this card in one trip, most of it off of three furries sitting in a corner.

Then again, if making fun of bad bios counts as 'griefing', I topped it earlier in the year when I got goon-favorite podcast The F Plus in on it.

Yup, it turns out Cryptic games tend to attract a special sort!

We don't just collect bios in STO, we also fumigate major ERP hideouts and parties with fire extinguishers:

Collect the most indecipherable messages from people angry with us:

quote:

[Tell] Racer@xracerx337x: your still fat in i will never let you forget that in every zone chat in every pm in every instance. i will remind the world how fat your cow arse is.

quote:

[8:04] [Tell] Poison Ivey@WraithRaptor: Well you Pick a wrong person to Harrassed if we ever meet in real life i mighteve put you in the Hospital or a Morg
[8:07] [Tell] Poison Ivey@WraithRaptor: you gently caress you sound like a protitue who have sex with old men

And make literal penis aliens with which to invade said hideouts:

It's pretty nifty! We discovered the other day that we had collectively racked up so many terms of service violations that a GM now sits full-time in our chat channel watching for violations.

Yes, let me say that again. Perfect World Entertainment is paying one of its GMs to spend all his working hours in our chat channel to watch for terms of service violations, because we accrue more of those than the rest of the playerbase combined.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rynoto posted:

So, wait, did STO ever actually become a good game? Because this poo poo makes me want to see if I can find my account info.

No. The new season just launched and we don't even care about its content. We just spend all our time loving with pubbies.

edit - well it has improved a little bit, there are things to do now I guess

edit -- I forgot this gem of a quote!

quote:

[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: and before I forget, I must still thank you and your troll friends and dent
[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: be there for my in here to have cleaned.
[12:08] B'Lana@lamotte303: because of you I lost two really important people
[12:09] B'Lana@lamotte303: mine also my wife is gone and will not come back because off you

Kessel fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 16, 2012

• Locked thread