Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Back in the old school UO I had a fun time griefing in a particular way.

You see, when you step in a gate and out the other side, certain monsters would auto-attack you the very moment you stepped out of that gate, which made the ratman archer spawn extremely lethal. This also includes dragons. Now what I would do is to set up a house somewhere, ideally on an island or some place no one knows, and set up a little area that's walled off by locked down boxes. I would then take the dragon inside and then release it from being tamed. Now one would think I would die from the dragon but you think wrong! For some reason, it would not target me or attack me in any way, or anyone else UNLESS you came in via a gate, or entered the house via the front door. So I would sit in my dragon pen, sending gates to the banks of various cities and then dispelling them on my side. And then the suckers would come. Oh yes, the suckers would come, hopping on to a strange and fantastic gate that would surely send them to a magical adventure! However this magical adventure had a brick wall in the form of a dragon, or several dragons. So the moment they came in they were getting mauled alive with no gate back to the other side. I would laugh, loot, and repeat.

On a UO-related note some of my suicide gates led to the ratman fort. A place in the white wyrm dungeon that was filled with ice elementals, snow elementals, and ice demons. An area I called 'Ophidian Road' that was located on the way to Terathan Keep that was simply FULL of ophidians. And a few other places I can't recall.

I remember one notable time when I was doing this on an island, and I had a whole slew of ghosts standing outside my tower, banned, when I see some dude come sailing down on a boat. He begins meteor striking my dragon, however I was quicker on the draw and re-tamed it before he could kill it. Sadly, he rezzed and gated all my victims back to town.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

The Remote Viewer posted:

How do you get a rune to the rat archers since it's instant death to go through a gate to there?

I know this is a very very very late reply but hey, I'm replying. Anyway, there's a cave entrance to the ratman fort, and entering it normally and not through a gate gives you a brief few moments of respite before the rats actually target you. So I would come in there with several throwaway dragons or drakes and clear out the area just enough so I can mark some runes in peace. It also helps to peacemake, provoke, etc. Usually though, since I was in disguise as a tamer fag bank sitter complete with ice staff and Illustrious/Glorious lord riding a nightmare with two 'pure' white wyrms behind me in tow, people tended to believe my gates.

Also, there is NOTHING like hiding in a common taming spot, watch people plop down boxes or something to stop the beasties, and me swiping the box while hidden and watching them die a horrible, horrible death. I was such a bastard :)

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Alright. Time to kick back for another UO story. This time on the famous IPY shard run by the WTFMan crew before it was run to the ground by Azeroth or whatever the gently caress the dick's name was.

I was chilling at the bank, deciding to take a break from stealing and killing people who had foolishly decided to attack me (I was a pvp thief.) and I was just watching people go around their business when I see someone by the name of AcidBart selling a silver vanquishing katana with all the trimmings for 35K. I had decided to make an attempt at stealing it from her to make a quick buck, even if I get guardwhacked no biggy because I had poo poo all on me at the time. And so...Checking my current balance, all I had at the moment was a vanquishing broadsword and 15K. So I tried to offer that to her, and she declined. Bummer. So I figured that hey, may as well try to steal it from the dude who buys it. So some guy comes up and offers said money, and I get ready to move in once the trade was complete. And as I'm waiting, I notice the guy suddenly wield an axe, I hear the telltale chop of a box breaking, and I see a countdown with a ton of potions at the dude's feet. I backed the hell away, but apparently ol' AcidBart didn't seem to notice the countdown. And so, she gets guardwhacked, she dies from mass explosion syndrome, and she falls, silver vanquishing katana with all the trimmings on her corpse.

I'd like to take a break at this moment to tell you that there was an interesting bug going on at the time in IPY. If you had something on your cursor, and you got insta-guardwhacked, it would bug out so the item was still on your cursor even if you couldn't see it. You couldn't pick up anything as a result due to the now invisible object being on your cursor and the only way to get rid of it would be to log out, which would drop said item at your feet. And now, back to the story...

So I looked at the katana, and I hesitated. I quickly remembered said bug, and I took a very quick check of my current inventory. Nothing valuable, everything banked away. And so I yanked the katana, and I get guard whacked. So I wait for my grey timer to go to 0. I rez myself, go to an empty, hidden corner, and log out and log back in and 'lo and behold, the katana was at my feet. Equipping it in my hand, I run down to the bank when who should I see but acidbart! She goes into a diatribe of how her cousin or something was the owner of the shard and I would be banned and she'd get her katana back if I didn't give it to her which was bullshit because for one, it was a typical trammie threat, and two, I knew the owner of the shard. So I laugh it off and head back to the bank, when I see the strangest site. My corpse was untouched. Everything I had on me (bone armor I liked to wear for the fashion and some throwaway spear among other things) were still there, on my corpse. Apparently people must have thought I died in the explosion too so they wouldn't risk looting me. So I banked the katana and relished my victory. The End....or is it?

Long story short: Some chick gets bombed by a scammer, I loot the katana, I profit. HOWEVER, there is more to this story that really spirals it into something special, however I've made too huge a wall of text already. So I'll post it later. I also have another story, "The one thief siege of Britain" as I call it. So see you guys a few posts down the road!

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007

Cruo posted:

On the In Por Ylem (commonly referred to as "IPY") free Ultima Online shard they put up a moongate next to the West Brit Bank at one point. There were elementals in there and gates to other places. When people died in there they came to town and got resurrected then ran back through the gate to try and get their loot back. I decided one day out of boredom to just stand on the gate for hours without moving. In doing this nobody could possibly get through the gate.

I took several screen shots and compiled them into a flash video along with the song Move Bitch get out the Way. Which was a quote often captured in the screen shots. I had several players try to murder me in that time only to get guard whacked themselves. The purple potion and poisoned dagger attacks couldn't thwart me. I even had a few players curing and healing me during the attacks. I guess they felt the same way I did about the gate. The GM's got several pages about the incident but they never did intervene, a couple just thought it was hilarious.

It was the varying reactions I got from the players that made this great. I got quite a few of the classic "i'll kick your rear end irl you pussy fagot assholer" threats along with the other basic threats. I even had people begging me to move so they could get their loot back.

Holy poo poo I saw that video. I remember watching it so many times too :monocle:. And as for Twingecrag I'll post the remainder of that story and the siege story up on a new page.

And when I mentioned bringing the shard down, Azaroth was made one of the head people, and in the beginning he was cool, but he just transformed into a total dick or something of that accord. And he never was part of the original crew. Also, they ran a pretty tight ship on IPY, so the stories of corruption and whatnot are more than likely false.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 6, 2008

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
PART DEUS OF ACIDBART'S FOLLY

After I had gotten the katana and banked it. I was chilling again at the bank and who should show up but 5 minutes later? The guy who had bombed the chick! Apparently he explains to me he had a guy in waiting to quickly snag the katana, but I was much much quicker on the draw. We have a good laugh about it, and then he sudenly offers me a deal. 40K for the katana. I was sold since I used fencing weapons along with magic. So we head over to the east bank of britain to avoid a crowd and bank thieves and I had JUST opened my bank, looking at the katana. Then Einstein here tries to kill me with THE SAME TACTIC he used to kill the woman. But apparently he had ants in his pants and had already began counting down when I had barely opened my bank box. I took a few steps back out of range of his pile of exploding potions, and he chases me with the single one in his pack. He hits me for a pitiful amount of damage. He gets guardwhacked. And I get some spare exploding potions as a compensation prize on top of my new katana. 'Twas a glorious evening.

• Locked thread