Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Back when I played Ragnarok Online, I had to be one of the very first people to tame a Bongun. What a Bongun is isn't especially important. What matters is understanding that pets would sometimes speak once you've fed them enough and made them happy. The plan was to max out the pet's happiness and sell it off for ungodly amounts of money to Bongun fans. However, something strange happened.

Barely a second after the last feeding, Bongun spoke. Then the game client crashed. I knew right then that the update that introduced the ability to tame a Bongun didn't include a translation of the things it says. I then proceeded to make Prontera a ghost town by running down streets PACKED with vending merchants until Bongun spoke and logged them all out. I eventually started getting threats and chickened out, so I just decided to sell off my Bongun of doom before more entered the economy.

Other than that, there are the usual stories. Things like mob training a map full of argiopes (giant red centipedes that one-shot mages that level on them) or following lowbies around and buffing anything they fight. Being a priest was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
I've never gotten in on the really great examples of griefing, but I did have fun with a thing or two in Guild Wars. The first I stumbled over was a skill called Unyielding Aura. In short, it resurrects a party member and keeps them alive until the skill is either disenchanted or the caster stops maintaining it. Like a magic iron lung or something.

Quite some time ago, the Sorrow's Furnace area was released. I think this was the first time green items were available. Some of these were very popular because of the combination of mods they always dropped with. Loot in GW is assigned to a random player when it drops, but will go FFA after a while. You can probably see where this is going already.

Allow individual party members to die "accidentally." Sorry, my finger slipped! Ooh, that's some bad lag! Wait! I'm out of energy! Before any of the more benevolent party members can act, resurrect the poor bastard with Unyielding Aura. When a green item drops for anyone you're keeping alive, stop maintaining the spell to make them drop dead on the spot. No one else would lift a finger for him because they were already huddled around his shiny new item.

I guess I'm not a very good griefer because I usually ended up resurrecting whoever it happened to be so he could get his item, but not before letting him beg a little. Either that or a pleasant round of "what animal am I thinking about?" This still works well if you manage to slip into a dungeon party. Such a shame to go all that way and not be able to open the big shiny chest at the end! It's still surprising to see just how many people don't bring a resurrection skill.

The lesser stuff usually involves more boring things like bringing a 100% kiting build in Random Arena. I always found it difficult to cause any real trouble in PvP because of the relative weakness of individual players.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
Oh, the wonders of MUDs. They have so many features that graphical online games can only dream of. I still feel a MUD is a prime griefing environment because of this. Some of you have probably at least tried Achaea. I think it's the first Iron Realms game.

Iron Realms games are notorious for having incredible lists of status changes and afflictions players can suffer from. This means there's an even bigger list of counters, cures and preventative measures. Buffs, herbs, salves, potions, tattoos, runes and lord knows what else. The whole thing is complicated enough that just about every player develops some kind of combat system using aliases, triggers and macros to automate things like healing and item management. So what do you do to a PVP junkie that you can't stand? Send him a letter!

>read letter
Your limbs begin to feel numb.
(press any key to read more)

If the reader happens to leave his triggers on, his combat system will keep wasting expensive resources trying to fix a problem that isn't there. This always prompted an outburst on public channels, but it couldn't really be punished because Achaea was a mandatory RP game at the time. Watching your combat system puke all over itself wasn't an in-character thing.

Next, about 3 of the 4 years I spent playing Achaea was as a member of the shaman guild. One of their skillsets revolved entirely around creating voodoo dolls of other players. One skill was used to fashion a doll while in the same room as the target. Continuing to fashion the doll enabled more and more powerful skills. These other skills consumed fashions, but could be used on the doll to do things to the player it resembles at any range. Some really fun ones included the ability to pour alchohol in the doll's mouth to get the player drunk. In Achaea, you can drink until you die of alchohol poisoning. A small part of PVP actually involved building up a high alchohol tolerance through regular drinking. Another fun ability forced the player to perform an action. Just about any action, in fact. The list gradually shrunk as people made shaman alts and abused it. You could also break bones by twisting arms and legs, scry the target's exact location, or listen in to hear what the target hears. With enough fashions on the doll, you could even summon the target! This was really useful within the guild to rescue friends and family from certain doom. Vodun's signature move was Obliterate. It required at least 50 rounds of fashioning and destroyed the doll, but it caused maggots to eat the player from the inside out. This completely destroyed the body and prevented all but the most costly form of resurrection, costing the poor bastard a good chunk of experience.

So what were the drawbacks? Dolls only lasted 30 days before decaying. They also didn't work if the target wasn't online. They were also easy to lose because they had to be held in a hand to work. They could be stolen or otherwise removed. Then there was the matter of getting fashions in the first place. Time spent fashioning a doll is time not spent on the offensive. Still, getting a doll capable of Obliterate was enough to keep that person from playing for a full month.

The shamans were a very tightly-knit group. Picking on one usually meant a small group would eventually find you, hold you down with curses and totems, and make a doll or two while you squirm on the floor. I was in one of these parties once and was happily fashioning away when a little party of local goody-goodies stopped by and asked what was up. They were a bit hostile about it so my support stopped trying to hold my victim in place. She freed and cured herself while my party explained things. I kept fashioning, knowing that only the target would see me doing it. She had to stay in the room and let me keep going since running away would make her seem quite guilty. By the time it was over, I was back at the shaman guild hall with a very well fashioned doll and a backpack full of tequila.

My revenge was sweet. I'd scry with the doll until I found my victim busy in a well known levelling area. Then I'd pump her so full of tequila that she could barely stand. I counted at least one death from this, caused by being unable to defend herself while mobs beat her down. Then there was the fun of listening to her whine in private to whoever happened to be around. I couldn't tell. She eventually logged out. Every time I logged in and saw her online, she disappeared moments later. This made it very difficult to do anything else to her. I at least wanted to finish with an old fashioned Obliterate before I lost the doll! It led to me creating an alias to log in and immediately attempt to obliterate before the target could log out. Took almost a week, but I eventually landed it.

Soon after, vodun was changed to reach only within the same area. It just meant we had to get closer to the target. This wasn't because of my actions alone, though. Some time after that, the old process of manually inducting novice guild members as full guild members was removed. It used to be that novices had to be interviewed by a high ranking guild member for RP purposes (and to weed out moles and spying alts). You wouldn't believe the number of character backgrounds involving, "I'm the only survivor from my village. It was burned down by a man in a black cloak with red eyes." I was never a RP nazi, but that pretty much required an instant failure.

I'm almost entirely certain that I failed a novice alt played by the game's creator. He was righteously pissed and removed the novice system only days later. It was changed to automatically induct novices after a certain amount of time. This led to guilds with heavily RP-regulated skillsets getting abused. Guild secrets from every guild were released and things went to hell pretty quickly. Last I heard, there were no more guilds in Achaea.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Raiche posted:

More Shaman fun.
I have to agree that enforcing roleplay isn't the best way to keep abusable abilities like vodun under control. It's exactly like the honor system. On a related note, I remember the big, stupid grin I had the day I learned the masochism curse just from teaching dozens and dozens of novices over time. From then on, the excessively sassy/violent novices learned to love smacking themselves around until they died. I have no idea how I got away with this.

For those that haven't played, using curses involved simply pointing at the target. That person would see you point at them and then the affliction message would pop up on a separate line. I think the final curse skill was called Blight. Think of it like a revolver that fires curses. You'd load it up with a handful of select curses and using it would fire off a random one at the target. So what made it worth the curse mastery? Affliction messages would not be displayed to the target. I never got it, but I've seen it in action. Hilarious. Especially on a shaman built for rapid-fire curses.

For these reasons my character's warcry was, "Wanna know why it's rude to point?"

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
On the topic of using blatant cheats as griefing measures, I have only one thing to say: there are bastards and there are magnificent bastards.

androo posted:

Graal.
Good lord, Graal. I played this so much at one point that I became a staff member on Dino Valley. It came with all kinds of fun toys like complete invisibility and boots that allow the player to walk through obstacles and move at insane speeds. I had far too much fun with some of the help requests from players. While I was a regular Helpy Helperson, some people were rude or ignorant. Those are the ones I spoke broken English to. This eventually ended up with me "accidentally" moving them to very dangerous or inaccessible places as a solution to completely unrelated problems.

:v: tnx u for praying dino verry!
:argh: WTF I NEW U WERE JAP WER IS GM!!!?!

There was also very little keeping me from poking the most annoying players for half a heart at a time while invisible. All of this may be plain asshattery and not so much griefing. A magnificent bastard I am not.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Vib Rib posted:

I wish there were logs of this stuff.
I found what looks like a collection of logs from IRE games here. The first use of the puppetry/vodun set I found is here. This one is absurdly spammy, but you can watch the player's combat scripts update with fashion breakpoints as more powerful commands become available. Fun stuff includes:
code:
You whisper, "inr all kelp" to the puppet of Akia.

You pour your wrath out onto the right arm of the puppet, mangling it quite horribly.
The right arm of Akia is suddenly horribly mangled by an unseen force.

"Sleep...sleep," you whisper to a puppet of Akia.
Akia's eyes close suddenly as she falls asleep.

You cover the ears and eyes of the puppet of Akia, blacking out her senses.
Seems like there's no more Obliterate due to whining. Instead, there's this: http://forums.achaea.com/index.php?showtopic=34316&st=0. Also seems like Achaea has gotten even worse since I stopped playing. It reads like the WoW boards. At least if WoW boards had more anime, mudsex and "paying customerGRAH:argh:" Arena junkies are the easiest people to grief ever. They drop unhealthy amounts of money into the game to max out skills and get indestructable/unstealable artifact equipment and try to use that contribution as leverage to have changes made which favor them. This has been working for years.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Drox posted:

How bad was being blinded in Guild Wars?
Fairly sure it added a 90% chance to miss with attacks and also screwed with projectiles. Even in Prophecies condition removal was really easy to take along. Most people are just morons that leave it entirely to the monk. Unfortunately, most of those monks run builds of 7 healing skills and Rebirth. :wtc:

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!
GunZ drives me insane, but I still log on for some S4 every now and then. Players there share the same rabid hate for tactics. Playing a good defense will get you kicked from most games. A disturbing number of people even insist that playing defense doesn't help the team. So I made another video for fun to help everyone be just as annoying while padding that all important K:D ratio.

Because it's all about the e-wang, right?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

henkman posted:

It goes on for 20 or so minutes. I just have to sit there and play the game normally while I have half the team threatening me with physical violence.
I love the Elitist Jerk mod. It made healing random dungeons so much more fun. Plus you could always write your own list of callouts for it to draw from. Anyone who just laughed and rolled with it always got bonus points from me. Then there were the players that would stop dead in their tracks when they were called out. Sometimes they'd miss a pull or two while they were typing up an entire paragraph in response. Lots of "shut up you don't pay my sub" and "oh my god all healers are assholes."

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Peanut President posted:

Shuckle is a Pokemon. Gyro Ball does more damage the slower the attacker is (Shuckle is really slow I guess). Power Trick switches your opponents attack and defense.

I'm just reading this off the internet so I may be mistaken.

edit: I have no idea how it's griefing though.
This is true. Power Trick switches the user's attack and defense. Quick Claw is an item that gives the holder a chance to go first regardless of speed differences. The real dick move is in using 6 of them. There's normally a rule against using more than one of the same pokemon.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

That seems like less greifing and more mindgames and tactics
It's close enough to griefing to me when similar trickery in the newest edition will make people purposely disconnect in random wifi matches. You know that total stranger has no counters to your unstoppable rape train when he suddenly loses connection.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

LethalGeek posted:

...This is a game that's running in 2012 using these rules & items? My GF & I are practically aghast that people would pay for this (and I play EVE).
I've posted about it in this thread before, but Ragnarok Online was my first MMO. So this was before I learned just how much I was actually torturing myself while griefing others. I played RO around what may have been the prime of its life. Some things have changed since then, but the game is largely the same.

How about our favorite class, the priest? I played a full support priest, meaning all his status and skill points were spent for the benefit of my guild and my party. No meaningful offensive ability at all! To level up a support priest, you generally had to tag along with others while they set about grinding literally tens of thousands of monsters. They get less experience, but they also get free heals and maybe even warp portals.

You can normally change from acolyte to priest at job level 40. Many people would turn up their noses upon learning of a support priest who promoted at job level 40. How lazy! What you really wanted to do was keep on grinding to the cap of 50 for 10 more precious skill points. I did this only once on the official servers. My acolyte was character level 63, job 50. Character level caps at 99. I did this while going AFK for hours while an assassin friend murdured giant mutant clocks like a machine. People did this because support priests were just that amazing and Joe Shmoe didn't have the backing of top tier guilds with incredible resources.

So what about my assassin friend? He started out as a thief. Thieves aren't really bad at all as far as grinding goes. They're pretty much evasion tanks that use daggers. Daggers use strength for damage and dexterity for accuracy. Unfortunately for my friend, he planned on becoming a critical assassin. Any attack which turns up critical normally can't miss. It'll also strike for maximum damage every time while ignoring defense. So crit assassins are easily the most brainless mob grinding machines in the game.

Point is, that friend never spent a single point in dexterity for his entire life as a dagger swinging thief. Even with special equipment and buffs, he missed often. But he finally hit job 40-ish and became an assassin. The pain doesn't stop there. Critical assassins need an array of high demand monster cards to reach 100% critical chance! Should you choose to hunt these yourself, you'd generally need at least 3 of those 1 in 10,000 drops.

The amount of preparation required for some classes is incredible. There were originally no stat or skill point resets. For a long while, there wasn't even a confirmation before spending points! One wrong click could leave you considering remaking a character you've already spent a couple hundred hours on.

Equipment upgrades. Castle economy. World boss spawns. World boss cards. Blacksmithing and alchemy. Hats. While not quite the worst, nearly every aspect of this game is a soul crushing grind. In closing, here is a chart depicting the experience curve during the period I played RO:

tl;dr Ragnarok Online actively griefs every last player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

soy posted:

I liked the Ultima Online policy where if you reported someone and they didn't have action taken against them you'd know because you would get suspended for wasting their time.
I like the idea of Thunderdome-style reporting systems.

• Locked thread