Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Epsilon Plus posted:

I dunno mine exactly, what I do remember is that it's a huge fuckoff multigun - it does EVERYTHING short of sucking cock. Using chat commands you can change the color and what attachments it has, it has all kinds of fire modes, it can fire colored smoke grenades, blah blah blah.

I'll sign into SL tomorrow and see if it has a notecard or something.

Is it called a "Xi Multicannon" and made of black looking metal with wires and poo poo everywhere, by any chance? Cos if so, then that was one I made back when I played SL. :eng101:

I actually encountered a loving hilarious bug I griefed some people with using a failed attempt to make a new fire mode with it. I had a fire mode on it which fires small green bouncing balls which explode after a while. So I thought i'd make a version which fires a bigger, faster one - I tried to give it a gently caress ton of spin as well. But with the scripting engine, you can't make moving objects spin - which caused a bug where this bright purple, ominously humming ball would shoot out a few meters, then just stop and hover in mid air.

Now this was where the fun started - the scripting system basically poo poo itself when I told it to do something I didn't know it could do, so the ball stopped in mid air and started spinning at a ridiculous rate, even though you couldn't tell by looking at it - due to the physics system being a little... lacking, anyone touching the ball caused it to behave erratically in a number of ways - either the ball would move away from them and avoid them in a weird fashion like some kind of "keep away", it'd punt them a good few meters up in the air.

Most fun of all though was when to any observer, both they and the ball would instantly vanish on contact. What had actually happened was that it kicked the victim up in the air so fast and so far they basically ended up OUTSIDE the physics system of the game at some ridiculous altitude the height counter didn't have enough numbers to read properly. Since objects aren't meant to be so high, it'd basically break their ingame avatar rendering them invisible and breaking all objects attached to them, requiring them to restart SL completley to fix it - IF they could get someone to summon them back to the ground, since conventional teleports failed to work. Another amusing side effect was that the balls also broke the timing system and they'd never ever be removed by the game's spam filter - an area admin had to come along and find/delete them, which can be problematic when they start playing keep-away or end up at some insane undetectable height on the map.

So then I did what any self-respecting rear end in a top hat would have done. Made the balls invisible and handed the weapon out to as many people as I could give it to. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Come to think of it on the subject of MMOs, i've played Runescape on and off for years (mostly off, but always on free play). Way back when years ago when it was still the cheeky 2D thing and there were two servers with a player cap of 250 or something on each, a friend and I would deal with annoying beggars by telling them that to get free weapons and armour they could do a quest where you had to bring cabbages to a man named "Ice Giant".

Incase it isn't completley obvious, the Ice Giant is a fairly nasty enemy to newcomers, and at the time it was the toughest enemy in the game. Back then there was a "Talk to" option on every NPC as well, hostile or not - so the hapless beggar walks up to this gigantic lumbering blue guy with a big stick hoping for free armour and promptly gets his brains smashed into goo.
To be honest, looking back i'm suprised how utterly clueless some players were about the whole thing that we were able to feed them to the giant in the first place.

Probably my best grief (with the same friend) was in a game called Summoner though. It was a more or less generic RPG with co-op multiplayer - my friend and I found a way to alter the files of the game though, and amusingly the game didn't bother performing any kind of checks for anything on multiplayer, so you could get up to some crazy poo poo. Between us, our bag of tricks included:

- Turning spells from "Can only target enemies" to "Can only target allies", and also giving ourselves spells that were enemy only, such as Poison. This was especially funny with Ice Coffin (a stun spell that only ends if someone hits them)

- loving up the spell's timing, so that instead of casting the spell on one key frame of the animation for it, it cast the spell on every single frame of the cast animation, for still the same cost. I did this to the Meteor Storm spell and it resulted in absolutley everything in range getting hammered by a LINE of meteors falling out of the sky. (It also made a loving horrible noise) This was also amusing to do with Wall of Fire, because you got hit about 50 times a second if you touched the wall and died instantly.

- Teaming up with level 1s, summoning the nastiest creature in the game (big blue smoky thing with an axe) and then casting Death on yourself. Summons go on a rampage if the summoner dies.

- Spamming desynced Wall of Fire over and over until everyone's computer crashed.

- loving with the level files and replacing all the mundane soldier enemies with all sorts of crazy-rear end poo poo that wasn't supposed to be in multiplayer. The worst offender being this big lanky demon which, in the single player, could pick up your characters and throw them around. Turns out this ability makes multiplayer get confused to all gently caress resulting in seeing a random party member start floating around in the air and then get hurled against a wall.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Zed Xionova posted:

people who griefed you followed you from game to game and made a concious effort to ruin your time

Use a different name or something, and keep your yap shut about where you go online. It's not that hard to stop yourself from getting tracked around online. Also have you ever thought maybe it's your reactions which makes griefers treat you like a walking goldmine?

On the topic of Space Station 13, I don't usually grief on the goon servers (except when the current game has me excessively bored to poo poo) but griefing on pubs is brilliant for some of the reactions you get. Playing SS13 legit is boring pretty much 7 times out of 10, whereas griefing is nearly always fun.

One paticular time I was trying to start the engine, and some "demon" or other starts loving around trying to help with everything I do, but in the most oafish and obstructive manner possible ("My way is the only right way" kinda guy). I try to start the engine in a way that gives way more power, he tells me i'm doing it wrong, tazes me and tries to start the engine by filling the chamber with gas and not igniting it. After putting it right when he decided to leave, I go to medical research and start fiddling around with the test subject DNA. He turns up and decides his experiment is way better, and somehow manages to permanently break the DNA computer while I was working with it.
So I decide enough was enough - I knocked him down, injected him with about two syringes full of sleeping drugs, welded him into a locker and surrounded the locker with reinforced walls. He starts screaming about what a "majure n00b" I am and basically won't shut up - I respond by opening a bit of the wall up, throwing a bomb in, resealing the wall and detonating the bomb. He wasn't too pleased about that.

Another time I walled off engineering completley to prevent the clueless pubs from messing with the engine (it usually involved them unwittingly incinerating themselves, but in the process robbing the station of power), which resulted in the pub admin getting very pissed off when someone threw him down the garbage chute and he ended up walled into the trash compactor unable to escape. Cue massive rant about how, and I quote, "You have NO RIGHT to ruin MY playing experience".
On that note, SS13 pub admins are grief goldmines as far as reactions go. I remember joining one game where the admins had been setting something up apparently for hours - an "arena" which they planned to teleport every player to when it was finished and have them fight it out to the death. Which, under anyone else's guidance possibly wouldn't have been too bad an idea - but since SS13 pub admins are so utterly anal about everything it results in them being officious dicks over the OOC channel and pissing all the pub players off with choice lines like "This is OUR server and if we say you are going to play arena, you WILL do it."

Said admins were not best pleased about it when someone started a restart vote which ended in a "Yes" vote, restarting the server and sweeping away the alledged hours of work instantly. The kicker? Admins have the ability to cancel or suspend any vote the players propose - and these ones apparently didn't realise it. Their response? Preventing all players from speaking and going on a huge tirade about how "We will find out whoever voted yes and you WILL be punished for it". Gotta love democracy.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Soulpudding posted:

The guy i killed so much that he bit a chunk out of his hand

This is why I really don't loving like MMOs anymore. People actually get to this level of hosed up, and not just in terms of self-harm - but it still unnerves me that it makes people act like that (Case in point, that one RL murder cos of Legend of Mir). This all said, they are essentially the best griefing grounds due to the sheer amount of people taking them so seriously.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

So if someone asks I'll post some more.

By all means. These are great reads, the more the better.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Gmod is second only to Second Life in the sheer amount of ways you can grief the poo poo out of people. I usually only do it if someone has done it to me (Gmod has quite a lot of griefers, but it mainly consists of just crashing the server by spawning a gently caress ton of stuff at once), or when someone has been obnoxious/stuck up enough to enough people.

On some pub server once, some admin was basically giving loads of people poo poo for things he didn't want them doing, which seemingly was everything. "Get out of skybox, OR KICK", "No fireworks, OR KICK", "Stop doing that, OR KICK", "Thruster noise off, OR KICK" to several people doing various things. His ultimatum about thruster noise gave me an idea though. Thrusters are basically exactly what you'd expect - they make things move. The idea is you weld a bunch of them to something and then switch them on, so you get movement on a mundane object - they have quite a lot of settings to customise, but one of them is whether it makes sound or not.
The thruster sound is loving irritating as poo poo I admit - if you use thruster sound, on the vast majority of servers you'll get told within seconds to turn it the gently caress off because it's basically an incredibly loud, grating hiss you can hear from just about anywhere. Seeing him (rightly) flip out about thruster sound, but tired of him basically stopping anyone from doing anything by tacking "OR KICK" to the end of every other sentence, I had a cruel idea. I spawned a small object, attached an invisible thruster to it, and froze them both in mid-air so they couldn't move. I then turned the thruster on to make the "HISSSSSSSSSSS" noise, but just left it on - it was undetectable and i'd put it in a little nook no-one would bump into by accident and find an invisible object.
Of course, his first reaction was "THRUSTER SOUNDS OFF OR KICK". I left it on for around 20 minutes or so with Gmod muted, listening to music, watching everyone in the server flip the gently caress out at the constant blaring hissing noise they couldn't get rid of.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Blackray Jack posted:

Alright. Time to kick back for another UO story. This time on the famous IPY shard run by the WTFMan crew before it was run to the ground by Azeroth or whatever the gently caress the dick's name was.

If i'm not mistaken a "shard" is just another name for a server to play on, yes? In that case, how exactly does someone run a server into the ground? I'm not familiar with all these terms so excuse me if I sound daft or anything, but that sounds interesting to me. Perhaps you could throw it in with your next story?

A minor one and not as funny as others in the thread, but back when I used to play Command & Conquer: Renegade (which, annoyingly enough, I cant get back into because the community that now owns the servers just seems despicably up it's own rear end), was that playing as the GDI I found out you could fit a Humvee inside an Advanced Guard Tower. Normally, buildings could be accessed on foot only, but I found that the Humvee was the right size and shape to just about wrangle it into the Guard Tower doorway. I think I could get it into certain other building doors as well, but it was trickier to do.

Anyway, persisting a bit I found it was possible to get the entire Humvee into the Guard Tower, where it basically took up all the space in the room. There was no way around it. GDI who respawned into the guard tower or enemies who had managed to successfully rush the tower were met with the sight of a large armoured car in a space only just big enough to contain it.

What was annoying for the GDI though, was that friendly fire was off by default - if someone was inside the Humvee, they couldn't damage it. The only way to damage it was to wait for the driver to get out (which made it neutral and therefore fair game), or for a Nod player to get into the vehicle (which wasn't exactly likely in the circumstances). So if I just sat inside the Humvee, none of my teammates would be able to damage it - thus if they were unlucky enough to respawn into the guard tower, they were stuck there until I got out of the vehicle or Nod came along and blew it up.

Also, the drama that ensued from jacking other people's vehicles was hilarious. You'd just hear a voice spam of about 6-7 "Get out of the Vehicle!" soundbites, then they'd start the indignant raging and whining on allchat. This was especially funny if you stole a Mammoth Tank costing about 1500 credits then just suicided it into the nearest enemy.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Crackerjack posted:

Second Life is quite possibly the easiest game to grief. I discovered wearing a silly costume and standing near people is enough to set them off. Especially so if you act completely oblivious and never speak.

You need to get your hands on some follow drones. While they can be understandably more actively annoying than simply standing near someone, the reactions you can get from having a non-physical object that doesn't do anything other than follow them and maybe look silly are great.

If you want to be more obnoxious about it though, there's a very common one - a literal banana phone which follows them while indefinitley playing the banana phone song on loop.

One of the more evil ideas I had involving them though, was a completley invisible and non-physical one. I'd sneak up on people cybering or doing whatever the gently caress stupid things in the chat, then quietly plonk down the invisible follow drone which would begin hovering near them hopefully undetected. Obviously the amorous couple would be trying to keep their carnal gymnastics on the quiet, but the drone listens for anyone speaking on the chat channel, and then shouts out whatever it hears in a huge radius. It usually spooks the poo poo out of them also as a bonus.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

FadedReality posted:

I tried this but everywhere I go has object creation disabled... did I get the wrong launcher? Was Poke Fur's Place or some poo poo.

Just look for a normal cager or something. I doubt it's worth raking through tons of furry poo poo for a simple cage gun with a pokemon theme to it. I think there's a really common one called ".webspinner" you may be able to find.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

InternetHateMachine posted:

I just gave SL another shot, and the goon-place is empty except for a few random pubbie slut types idling, and the whole game seems to be barren of any people with few exceptions. Also, the interface is bad as I remember. I don't know how people can grief in that game, let alone play it seriously.

Yeah, it's pretty loving terrible. The game's netcode or whatever the gently caress it is that runs the bandwidth must seriously be utterly dire because it's a constant lag fest and hideously easy to crash. The goon places are normally empty apart from one or two folks (maybe goons, I dont know) whom I fear may be a bit too far into SL.

This said the griefs are pretty much funny, and if you look in the right places they're easy enough to find. Just look on the map for large clusters of people in what looks like it may be an urban area. If it's a bar or something, walk right in with a stupid/obnoxious costume on.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I just remembered about the Genos which were used on Habbo Hotel and CokeMusic. I was thinking, what about bringing the Genos to Second Life? I'd imagine it's been attempted or at least thought about, but I haven't heard anything of the results of such.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I see your point about creativity. Admittedly, I hadn't put that much thought into it given i'm sitting bullshitting about it and not actually doing it.

On the topic of non-lethal SS13 griefing, that's probably the best way to grief on there given the victim is stuck and entirely at your mercy, bar suicide (and there's not always the ability to respawn and come back). This will not work on the goon servers for much longer, but I can't see pubs changing it.

CDE375DBA6C2345DBDA50EFE1230CEB63

It probably looks like gibberish to anyone, and maybe to some SS13 players, but this is essentially the ultimate nonlethal grief on someone. It takes a bit of setup - you need to have access to medlab, medlab needs power, and you need a bit of time to be able to pull it off - knocking someone out and dragging them to medlab may not work given you need quite a while to replace DNA.

But if you wipe out their SE DNA and give them that code in its place, what results is the player's character becomes blind, deaf, unable to speak, and constantly twitches violently and has siezures making them fall down all the time. I haven't actually done this to anyone yet (not cruel enough to do it to goons), but I worked it out after becoming interested in the game's DNA system.

Basically, give a player this DNA and they are 100% crippled and unable to act with the game world in any meaningful way. What other players will see is someone either standing there doing nothing, or silently stumbling around ineptly, twitching and falling over constantly. What the victim will see is a black screen with the text "You had a siezure!" popping up occasionally, as well as never recieving any sort of ingame communication at all because of the deafness.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Go check out that DOTA thread before it gets gassed. Believe it or not, what's going on in there is actually far, far less pathetic than any actual serious discussion about DOTA could be. DOTA's community is easily one of the worst on anything online - ridiculously high-strung, taking the game with deadly seriousness, and best of all degenerating into a massive bitch fit if anything fucks up or goes wrong.
What part of one player being poorly skilled can gently caress the whole team over in every single way sounded like good game design to the creators I will never understand. Howver, as you've already guessed this makes for some great grief on there.

I read a story once on here (I forget if it was a past griefing thread or a past DOTA thread) somewhere about a guy that made a WC3 account called "I RUN INTO TREES", and then spent entire DOTA games throwing himself at the other team's AI turrets (which were big tree men that threw rocks and hit pretty hard). When you die in DOTA, the other team gets a bit of money to spend on upgrades and such - the result being if you die too often, you "feed" the other team and they end up way more powerful and it becomes nigh impossible to win.
Combine this with aforementioned high-strungness and you end up with all sorts of rabid barrages of profanity and insults from your own team.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Why the hell would you pay exclusively to grief people? I mean buying the game is one thing but you can have fun with it besides griefing (and hopefully you do or you didn't spend very well, did you?), but this just strikes me as... well, odd.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Interstellar Idiot posted:

Man, I tried to download second life and play it. I meet all the system requirements, and while my graphics card is just an intel 945 integrated chipset on a laptop, it is still meets the requirements. Everything looks like total poo poo when I try to play, gray everywhere and every image loads into three different terribly compressed jpegs before finally rendering.

On Second Life? I see nothing out of the ordinary here.

Seriously though, the game looks like utter rear end even in decent areas. I suppose you can't expect too much of it, but jesus. The gray is textures that haven't loaded yet, and the terrible compression is just part of the texture in the process of loading.
It sure is great what Linden Labs can do with all that cash, eh?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Scat, cream, milk and pee...? :raise: I hope you didn't pay for that thing!

I think one of the more annoying griefs I did in Second Life echoed the thruster noise grief from GMod. At one point I made a simple ball which would play a sound on loop - intended to just play music out loud on a loop. Of course, I got the bright idea of multiplying the ball several times after it had loaded, resulting in a loud cacophony after only three or four dupes.

Of course, I get the bright idea to turn dupe it a ton of times and ended up making a 5x5x5 stack of music balls playing some obnoxious techno loop or something (I think it was a small bit of some Pendulum track). One of these balls on its own was quite loud, but 5x5x5 is 125 balls in total. When they all start playing their music loop at the same time, it sounds less like techno and more like an ear-splitting BBBHHHHHHHHFFFFFZZZZZNNNNNNN noise as if your sound card just huffed a whole barrel of industrial strength radioactive crack.

Of course, making it invisible, non-collidable and shoving down inside the floor in some well-frequented place results in absolute loving fury since from anyone dumb enough to not mute the game, since the object was impossible to mute individually since it couldn't even be targeted.
I think the best part in situations like those is that, no matter what, accusations will always start getting wildly flung around. Usually hilariously wrong accusations that cause more and more drama as the participants get more pissed off at the false accusations and continuing noise.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

chairface posted:

C&C Renegade a lot

There's actually a better way to take out snipers with the Stealth Trooper - the laser gun does pretty nasty damage on a headshot, and since he can't see you at a distance (or anyone else for that matter) plus he's generally stationary most of the time, you can very carefully line up a shot to the head and then let rip. As long as you get 2-3 hits to the head, he'll die. This has prompted several nasty responses from said snipers, unsuprisingly.

Also, it's bad tactics to get out of your tank to repair it - it's much better to ask an engineer to tag along with you and have him repair it so that no-one can yank the tank due to it being unoccupied. I actually managed to steal Mammoth Tanks from under the owner's noses before, causing considerable rage since those things were loving expensive. The best part is, if through luck or whatever you can steal six enemy vehicles and just keep them stored at the back of your base, the enemy can't build any more because they've used up the limit.

Also, this isn't a grief, but once everyone on the server was bored so both teams decided to all buy a beacon, meet up at one spot then plant them all at the same time. The noise from all the beeping was hilarious, like some kind of mobile phone store going haywire.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

drat, now im wondering if it's possible to have two pyros, and then sit playing tennis with an enemy player, constantly knocking them through the air back and forth making them unable to do anything. Probably best done to snipers who wouldn't be able to fight back very well at that range. If you really wanted some dedication, get engineers to whip up some dispensers so the airblast ammo never runs out, and then sit knocking the sniper back and forth until time runs out or they ragequit. That'd take some setting up though.

Also knock it off with the drama and arguments for god's sake. The only drama that should be in this thread is pubbie dramas we've caused. :colbert:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

androo posted:

GMod spawn point death

Reminds me of when I entered a GMod server only to get my rear end instantly lasered, and then lasered again and again and again... Turns out one of the admins/mods had basically put an instakill laser on the spawn to make sure noone but him could use the server, because "I don't want any of you bitches ruining my stuff".

I can't remember what he was building, but why he couldn't just go and play single player, password the server, or something else if that was his intent was beyond me. A bunch of players were futiley giving him a load of poo poo about it, I just watched the commotion for a minute or two then went looking for a new server.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

In response to the "I might be a spider" thing, a friend of mine once created a very intricate and large tarantula avatar since she's a bit of a spider enthusiast. Proper proportions and everything, really detailed including pedipalps, spinnerets, toes and thick fur on them. Basically as close to a real tarantula as you're going to get in SL. Plus it also had invisiprims (which hide your lovely base avatar), and it was properly animated so it walked and crawled in a proper spidery manner.

I don't know if it comes as a suprise or not how many people absolutley freaked the gently caress out at the mere SIGHT of this 3ft high tarantula crawling around. She'd just skitter into a crowd and some people would run the gently caress away, give her a poo poo ton of verbal abuse or start firing tons of poo poo at her (negated by simply sitting down). I'll have to hit her up for the avatar, maybe we could have some kind of sudden giant spider infestation barge in on amorous couples.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Spider avatar available now, courtesy of my friend. Here's a pic:

It's actually bigger than I remember, maybe 4-5 feet tall. Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula (Brachypelma smithi if you're a spider enthusiast) ready to strike horror into the masses... with masses of spiders. Hopefully.
Hit me up ingame if you want it, i'm under the name Groin Magic.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I couldn't work out how the gently caress to get screenshots during our arachnid expedition (I believe Linden Labs used to have the nerve to charge you to take screenshots or something), but I noticed the rather directly-named "SEX ISLAND" outing hasn't been mentioned or screenshotted. The place was more or less exactly what it sounded like, a beach area with tons of people loving and all sorts of horrid outdoors depravity.

I spot this one guy working a girl over, so I hover over him and teleport everyone in, causing them to drop from the sky around the guy. Never would I have thought prior to now that a Spider Airdrop is a viable tactic, but holy jesus. We crowd around him a bunch and do various spider dances, prompting angry IMs from him - we then proceeded to just rampage across the beach crawling all over everyone and everything, getting screamed at in italian by some of the more feisty folks. Bizarrely, next to none of them stopped. You'd think being surrounded by 7-8 giant tarantulas would be a bit off-putting, but who am I to judge? :v:

Also of note - a small group in a sandbox, who upon seeing us thought we were inanimate objects until we began to move, prompting the classic line "oh jesus they're alive".

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Agent Bob posted:

For some reason, Second Life lags for me. It doesn't seem like that complicated of a program to run...

It's not you. SL seems to be really badly made, plus the fact it's an MMO which are generally always lag parades to begin with, plus having to keep track of a gently caress ton of custom assets and poo poo, which results in a giant lag-fest.
Even when you don't take online into consideration, SL is one of the few things that makes my computer BSOD or cold restart on its own often - i've been able to run deliberatley intense and crazy things to try and stress test my computer before and it shrugged them right off. I'm only an amateur by programming standards, but something about SL just reeks of terrible optimisation.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

porn and needles

How many people have you gotten to simply leave the game doing that? I know I would, if I can't play then there's no point in staying. It boggles the mind that people would just sit there, screaming and crying and generally throwing huge tantrums about how you're ruining it for them, when they could just go somewhere else and have unimpeded fun again.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Reminds me of the time I went Medic, took my saw out and used only my saw by rushing the front lines. If anyone called for medic, I just called medic back at them. If anyone got in my face about it I played the violin to them.

I got so much pure hatred from both teams, then when I suddenly switched to Demoman and blasted the living poo poo out of the lot of them they weren't too impressed about that either.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Kahrytes posted:

What is the maniacal laughter this guy uses from?

Some video with a guy called Gunther screaming about Cold Fear.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

DotA easily has to be one of the worst communities around. WoW, CS, Runescape, they don't have poo poo on the amount of drama DotA generates - all the more ironic since it's not even a game of its own right really. Plus the balance is terrible in that one player on your team doing badly (not even intentionally) can potentially throw the entire game out - and of course since the community consists of a bunch of rage queens, mistakes while learning the game just aren't tolerated whatsoever.

And yeah, DotA threads even here just magically turn into something akin to a tidal wave of poo poo colliding with an industrial extractor fan factory. People just forget how ridiculous they look. The sad thing is that DotA in my experience is actually fairly difficult to grief due to all the countermeasures built into it. The only way to really grief is with staggering, intentional incompetence. Though that's usually enough to set them off, to be honest.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, my WoW griefing days have come to an end. After the last guild I cleaned out, someone finally bitched ennough to the right GM and my account got suspended. :sigh:

That's kind of a wonder. In nearly all games i've played the GMs are slow and pretty much never do anything. It's part of why griefing in Second Life is so easy, because the most the GMs will do is just show up, stare at you, then leave.

By the way, uh... has your user title been changed on the sly? It sounds a bit :pedo:, I take it it's not meant to be like that?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Last time the survivors hid under the ramp, I got the Tank and basically went barreling under ramp with them and punched them all to death easily.

The best griefing i've found on L4D though, is with the suicide commands, either "kill" or "explode" in the console bound to a key. When on teams i've gotten tired of (ones who wont save you, whine, or generally be dicks) i'll wait for them to heal me, then instantly suicide as soon as they finish. Then I usually say something like "OH NO YOU DID IT WRONG", and normally get all manner of replies.

Also fun: Switching from infected to survivors, suiciding one of their bot characters, then switching back to infected. If they tty to votekick you? Jump back on survivor and suicide any other characters.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Probably the best grief on SS13 I was involved in wasn't on the goon servers, but on some uptight fuckwit's server who demanded everyone do as he says or he'd throw a tantrum and ban everyone. I don't know if I posted this before in the thread or not, it's much too large to search now.

Anyway, these uptight super hardcore/serious admins had spent the majority of a round building an arena out in space or something, and had announced their intentions that we were all going to be teleported there and fight in some sort of large free for all battle. A few players said they'd prefer to just play the game as they are, to which they were replied with "It's our server and you'll do what we loving tell you to".

So when the admins were away for a bit, someone started a "Restart the server" vote. This puts the server back to the beginning, which wipes out anything that's been built or altered on the station. A moderator that was online kept delaying the vote's resolution, somehow not realising he could just outright cancel the vote. The vote eventually succeeds, the server gets restarted and about two to three hours of their work gets completley and irrevocably wiped out.

The result? Locking us all in the starting area, killing us all, disabling the chat and then going on a massive tirade about how they'll find who voted to restart and ban them, that we have no rights on their server, we've ruined everything, blah blah blah. Ordinarily this wouldn't really be much of a grief, but the admin's inept fury was just too good to pass up on. People who take games too seriously really are the best targets for this kind of thing.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Well hey, there's no such thing as bad press. Shame the alliance broke up, seeing the guy actually carry that out would have been hilarious. The grief that keeps on griefing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

GetWellGamers posted:

I'm chaotic neutral. Deal with it. :smug:

What exactly is the problem with this? Isn't D&D supposed to be an open-ended thing where you do what you like where the DM is pretty much just a neutral overseer? I'm not that familiar with D&D but to me that sounds like a bad (or at least too partisan) DM.

• Locked thread