Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

drunken officeparty posted:

Maybe he was banned? When I try to add him to my buddy list, it says thats not a person.

You're missing the space. And I think that you'd be better off seeing the one that has BOTH sides of the conversation, which has oddly enough disappeared from the internet completely. And it basically started because Crowbar didn't enjoy the fact that I abused my ability to summon all the ridiculously strong crap from the surrounding area to converge on him and tear him apart, then he threatened legal action for "in-game death threats", so I figured I'd mess with his head a bit, so he ended up panicking quite a bit. And notice that the chatlog says nothing about paper plates at all.

I figured if I acted like an annoying jackass I'd fit in with the rest of the playerbase.

Besides, I seem to recall a certain Joe and Mservo getting all whiny about me getting my own area too, http://de.pastebin.ca/1060306

It's pretty much why I left, since most of the goons who played were generally the kind that came from the forums that had 4-letter acronym names. Crowbar was generally pretty cool though.

But yeah, things got blown way outta proportion.

Zed Xionova fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 2, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.
What I want to know is why I'm the cock when I never actually did any griefing on a major basis, and all things considered, being a general dick to someone was actually encouraged by the hellmoo devs.

I probably wouldn't have fallen to such lows if it wasn't for the fact that early on in when I was playing, before I was a member here, I was basically targeted by the major griefing group at the time, JEWS. I was pretty desperate to fit in, and basically would bend over backwards to try to appeal to the essentially exclusively goon group. But they always just found ways to trick me into either giving me their stuff, or generally just wasting my time, although at the beginning, barfkong was pretty cool.

By the time I finally became a member here, I'd already was to far down the respect ladder to actually deserve respect from any other SA members, and generally was frustrated by that. Sure, I was annoying, and possibly a bit stupid at times, but I wasn't a large-scale dick to people. I actually did make an attempt to get along with people, although by that time my ability to trust people had been pretty broken.

I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just tired of them constantly bringing up what they did to me nearly a year ago in a game that very few people now play. I mean, in nearly all of the victims of griefing in this topic are generally anonymous pubbies, and in the few exceptions, the griefers regretted it later. But he made no effort to hide my identity, and I find that pretty callous.

And I'd like to add, you'd be pretty frustrated too if the people who griefed you followed you from game to game and made a concious effort to ruin your time, a few of the members of the major griefing groups also ended up playing on Tsunami, a mud that previously had a topic here, and Space Station 13, a game which has a lot of potential for griefing, but discouraged it from a game-to-game basis.

In short, I was an internet retard, ended up pissing up a few people, got really frustrated, said the wrong things, and now have to regret the actions I made in a game whose devteam did most of their coding while high because this poo poo ends up following me everywhere. But I would like to add I have no issues with griefing in general and actually find this topic incredibly entertaining and I wish I was as good at it as these people were.

That's all the venting I needed to do, please continue with this wonderful topic.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

Athas posted:

Hey man, it's not like I'm dead.

I added the first few delusional disorders (glad to see someone built on them). I was particularly happy with paranoia, which would send you fake threatening messages from people who had previously killed you, or fake sounds of gunfire from adjacent rooms. Or schizophrenia, which would sometimes make it seem like a grenade was thrown into the room (and lots of people had triggers to immediately leave or seek cover if that happened). Hypochondria made it seem as if you were debuffed with various illnesses whenever you diagnosed yourself (or looked at your stats), but other players couldn't detect anything. And Munchausens Syndrome worked approximately like hypochondria, except it would also spam your surroundings and chatnet with things like "oh, I think I have Aspergers" and stuff like that.

A lot of the game mechanics really looked like they were setup for automated griefing. There was an NPC called the Punisher, that didn't really do anything. I wrote up a bunch of code that made him inspect the PvP logs, trying to find "unjustified" murders (based on some ad-hoc algorithm that mostly involved looking at whether the murderer had previously been murdered), and tracking down and punishing the criminals. In practice, his sense of justice was utterly unpredictable, and plenty of players met a messy death at his hands after fighting back against some griefer. In fact, there were a lot of NPCs that actively tracked down players in order to kill them, which is pretty unusual among MMO-like games.

Also, I can't believe nobody's mentioned ZedXionova/Zaylin in a while. Now that's a weird case.

As a piece of actual griefing I made while an admin, I once suddenly changed the crime system such that Abominations (player with a special set of mutations) were no longer protected in "Burbclave", the most expensive housing area. One of the wealthiest players in the game (Kharn, I think was his name) had his mansion up there, and he had a lot of enemies in the primary goon corporation at the time (KGB?). I think they profited greatly from suddenly being able to rob him without the police getting involved, but others could probably elaborate more.

I still exist but after I stopped freaking out over every little thing and realized everyone wasn't out to get me I stopped being so fun to torment, those were some weird times of my life, but when I look back it was all really hilarious and I was one hell of a spaz. To be honest I'd probably grief past me too.

And honestly I stopped caring about hell anything once Mada (Better known as Kharn.)started freaking the hell out and banning people and generally being a reclusive crazy who thinks nobody is ever trustworthy.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

KimJongUnstoppable posted:

This explains a lot.

Yeah, at the tail end of it he even ended up blocking me on the instant messenger program we were both on, even though I was like the only person he seemed to trust at all, he kept pulling all this victimization stuff too, I made this pretty large list of things that went wrong that directly involved him, and he somehow tried to shift all the blame on me even though I had little to no involvement in anything that transpired. Then again pretty much every admin he fired and/or shifted the blame onto had the same problem, the difference is he thought I was different, probably due to how ridiculous I used to be and he say himself in who I used to be or something. Oh well, end of an era and all that jazz.

In the lastish days of H:ATE he actually opened up a senate meeting and totally ignored what people were actually saying because he was, and I am not joking, totally tripping out on ambien.

My continued input into in HellMOO related stuff ended the same way it started, with a socially awkward person freaking out over everything due to overreacting to the justified actions of others.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Why doesn't someone just take the Hellmoo codebase and start a new PVP server? From what I read one has crazy admins and the other is used for Cybersex which is weird given the stuff I've read about the game.

There's like 4 different people with the HellMOO codebase right now it mostly just dissolves in admin drama or general lack of interest.

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.

Senso posted:

Actually, there is talk right now about doing just that. :ssh:
Pure PVP, no admin interaction. Like Lord of the Flies, kids will be left to themselves.

I'd probably be really interested in this had my history with the game not shown that this would be an enormously terrible but ultimately hilarious decision on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zed Xionova
Jun 9, 2007
Debi debi debi.
Oh wow, I remember this, he really did do anything said on that radio channel, this was a character who was going to get banned (I think) but instead the admins decided to make him some crazy remote character, a lot of people were boring and just made him kill himself but some shenanigans did occur, none of which I actually remember.

• Locked thread