Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Guildenstern posted:

Holy poo poo that brought back memories. Has it really been that many years?

Being part of the looter culture in UO was fantastic. The Galads (both the original two and Neutral), Belan, The Secret Gimp and so on, all the legends of looting... Seriously, best griefing ever, it was awesome watching all the trammies get into helpless rages about losing their stuff. Especially if you looted with style like they did.

Man, I miss UO so much. I've fallen out of touch with all but one of my ingame crew too :(

I can't believe all you old time UO players haven't mentioned Warik's Joy of Villainy (http://www.wtfman.com/oldjov/) yet. JoV eventually turned into a private server guild or something, and I think they're in AoC now, with a guy named Nighthawk who took over for Warik after he lost interest. Click the stories link on the left--there's probably a good couple hundred old-school UO griefing stories. Read Warik's, Greybeard's, and Nighthawk's, especially. If you go to the main wtfman site, you'll find links to UOEvil and RonaldMcDonaldland, two other pretty good griefer sites from back in the day

Anyone know of a working mirror for the Bonedewd and Platedewd comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I've been doing some griefing in Diablo II the past couple days. One of the things high level characters can do is what's called an uber game. You collect 9 random-drop keys which open 3 mini levels. Clear all 3 mini levels and you can open a portal to Uber Tristram, where more powerful versions of the three Prime Evils, Diablo, Mephisto, and Baal, lurk. Kill them all and you get a Hellfire Torch, the most powerful charm in the game, which buffs your stats, resistances, and gives +3 to all of a classes skills.

The interesting part is this: If you kill Diablo and Baal, you can trap Mephisto in a house, where he'll spawn poo poo-tons of skeletons around one of the players. If you bring two powerful paladins in the game, you can have a bunch of low-level characters join while the paladins kill massive amounts of skeletons, and the lowbies can go from level 1 to level 85 in an hour or so off the skeleton kills. It takes three well-geared players to set this up and commit their time, so it takes quite a bit of organization. On D2jsp, the D2 trading site, people get together with their friends, set up Uber Tristram, and sell off leecher spots in the game--they can make 150-200 gold or more by levelling up lowbies.

Except when one of the lowbies gives me the game name and password. Then, after he's leveled a little bit, I jump in the game, teleport to Mephisto's house, and kill him and grab the Hellfire Torch before anyone knows what's going on. No more Meph means no more skeletons to level with, and they just gave me a free torch, which can be worth some serious fg if it's a good one. The best part is, most of the time, they end up having to refund everyone's money, so that goon lowbie gets to go from level 1-80 for free.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=zuf8nn&s=4
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ne7w3q&s=4

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Is it actually possible for a single player to kill one of the Prime Evils in a multi-player game? I never played 1.10 but I remember seeing Poor Man's page and it sounded like you needed to be an accounting wizard with incredible precision to do that.

Actually, if you build the right character, you can solo Uber Tristram by yourself. My smiter paladin can tank all three uber Prime Evils at once, actually. The only way I die is through lag. Smacking down Mephisto solo is child's play, even with 7 other people ingame.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TyrsHTML posted:

Our DM had spent 3 weeks building a dungeon. It was meant to take us some 30 hours of game play to get through if we managed to stay on track. We enter and the dwarf cleric kinda looks around does his look for secret doors thing and finds nothing. But there was a tiny stream of water that went past the entrance. So being a cleric of high level he did what any sane person would do. He used stone shape to make a path through the wall the direction water was going. Imagine our surprise when we found that the water funneled into a pool that radiated healing magic and a cave filled to the brim with treasure, and a magical teleport system that would seal this horrible place behind us forever. Seems the little stream would have healed us for a couple of hp if we had drank it then after we wandered all the way through this dungeon we would find this pool and be all OHHH. Our cleric just made a door that skipped the entire dungeon. The gm just gave us the loot, then realized we had in fact done exactly what we where supposed to and gave us all our exp. He then very neatly folded up his map and went and had a smoke for about an hour. Poor guy.

Sheesh, couldn't he have just hand-waved a reason not to throw out an intricately-planned and probably fun-to-play dungeon? "Stone shape doesn't work on these magic walls," or "the trickle of water goes deep underground, and you'll be trapped forever if the tunnel collapses under the weight." Hell, he could even let you find the healing pool but relocate the treasure and teleport system to somewhere deeper.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TyrsHTML posted:

This is what happened later, the problem is we know him so the look on his face gave away that we had just wrecked his plans.

Wouldn't that be a common occurrence with that Stone Shape spell, though? I've never played D&D, but from the anecdote, it sounds ridiculously abusable to allow a mage to just carve his own path through a dungeon. Seems like it would make "Get to the bottom" or "survive the maze" maps pretty pointless.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Ninjasaurus posted:

Why the hell would a game have an NPC that did something like that -- especially if it is irreversible? It sounds like the creators of Everquest are doing the griefing here.

It made SOME sense, considering the MMO games at the time. Ultima Online, Everquest's chief competitor, allowed any player to PK any other player, and left it to the players to protect themselves from getting ganked by every idiot 13-year-old with a modem. If you didn't have a decent guild or group of friends, it could be impossible to venture too far outside towns because you'd just get murdered.

The Priest of Discord may sound a little odd, but it's a decent in-character way to split up players who want to fight other players from the RP kiddies and PvM players, without letting people easily deflag themselves to avoid reprisal. I can't remember what the exact process is, but the Priest of Discord is also a good idiot test. Before you can flag yourself for PvP, you have to listen to him tell you exactly what you are doing and how irrevocable it is, and click through each step of the process, with him explaining it as you go along. If you accidentally flag yourself anyway, you probably deserve it.

edit: For some reason this reminds me of the "grief" Valve played with the last big Team Fortress 2 update. (Or was this already mentioned here?) The TF2 menu screen was given an option to delete your unlockable weapons, which would only be necessary after future patches added enough stuff to fill your backpack. Regardless, the Steam forums had quite a few threads of people who didn't read any of the warning messages and irrevocably deleted some of their unique weapons for no good reason. I think one of them posted something like "It's their fault! They put the button there! If I see a button, I just have to push it!"

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2009

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

Wow, no. Where did you hear that?

Huh? Everywhere, I thought. What about all those stories of giant swindles and pyramid schemes set up that steal thousands of dollars worth of ships and credits? Next to that, it seems pretty tame to blow up a few police ships, unless they're superpowered cheaty admin ships or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I'm a big fan of some words.

Like: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hey+farva

The first option here tried to install fake antivirus software on my computer by pretending to be a window of my own antivirus software.

I never saw Super Troopers. :(

• Locked thread