Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bondster posted:

In the beginning days of WoW, there was a 30 elite abomination named Stitches that would only spawn for a quest. 2 players spawned him, and then proceeded to kite him all the way to a questing hub town that were for level 6-10 players. It took about 30 minutes of getting a hopeful hit and then getting one-shotted for the low levels to kill Stitches and the 2 players were banned afterwards.

God those were the good old days.
You could kite the "immortal" skeleton quest mobs from Samp of Sorrows to Stormwind, and they would kill random newbies and end up with 30-50 guards fighting them, and never die. If you think kiting Stitches is a feat since he didn't even move at base run speed, then, well, yeah... :colbert:

Also, any half-decent hunter can kite an extremely large mob the length of a continent in WoW, if they're any good. In the raiding guild where I was hunter lead for about a year, we'd regularly get all of our hunters together and have kiting contests, where we'd kite dragons and stuff to Ironforge or Stormwind. With the unkillable undead mobs, we'd each kite one, and then see who was the last one to gently caress up and let it slingshot back to its spawnpoint, but generally about half of our hunters could get their mob to an alliance city, and cause a little havoc with people duelling outside of Ironforge, etc.

I'm still on the fence as to whether it's truer griefing to kill someone by proxy, or to simply kill them and loot their gear, and klill them making them lose exp until they go all the way down to level 1. Purging players used to be pretty common on the MUDs I played, but it wasn't really griefing as much as Darwinian theory in action. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

LLCoolJD posted:

Mmm, delicious!
This should be a shirt.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

dsage posted:

Edit: Also, I would like to hear more mud stories. Post them if you have any.
I used to play on a loosely Forgotten Realms-based MUD named Duris: Land of Bloodlust. The MUD itself was excellent, with player group caps nearing 20 people or so for PvE content, two (sometimes three) sided racewar pvp, an ANSI overhead worldmap that displayed players and monsters in realtime, on-sea ship combat with inertia physics, unique artifact weapons requiring that they be fed on player blood, and my personal favorite, player thieving.

Since Duris was primarily a PVP-based game, the thief class was hilarious weak in grinding and pvp combat, useless in groups, and they only had a handful of skills which were notoriously unreliable, such as dirttoss, a 2-3 second blind, a hide/sneak which was totally useless against most moderately experienced spellcasters or well-equipped players, a backstab that did laughable damage.. And the ability to see into player inventories via a surreptitious ability (most players would see when you "look"ed at them, and it could be considered rude, and get you killed quite quickly,) and steal equipment which was currently being worn. :pervert:

At this time I was in college my freshman year, sailing through classes and sitting on a 24/7 highspeed connection back when most MUDders were still on modems.

So, since thieves were known to be useless, I rolled up a halfling thief, toggled my class to "Anonymous", and went out to the middle of nowhere and solod for a couple weeks. After I got past the level limits for stealing and pkilling, I worked up a nice fat experience buffer so i wouldn't get purged to level one, and went off exploring.

I'd hide at the inn, robbnig people's bank-mule characters empty, and renting out via Sneak skill, so noone would know who was there or where they'd gone. Entire guild banks, gone! I'd steal rings and earrings and belts and gloves off of sleeping party leaders (I claimed to be a newbie warrior, and tagged along with a lot of power-levelling grousp,) and then give it away to random newbies since I cuoldn't carry it. I'd use my Disguise skill to disguise myself as an NPC monster and rob people blind, I'd Disguise as other players, and purposefully fail robbing people then immediately hide, leaving my poor innocent mark to be killed and looted. As I was in college, I'd play for half an hour and rob people blind, raise the alarm and get a dozen people chasing me, then log out and go to calculus for 2 hours before returning again. To the observer or my victims it was totally random and unpredictable, but it was actually set around my school schedule, which noone but me knew.

My favorite theft was coming across a large "raid" group outside of their guildhall, while I was wandering around the map. For some reason, everyone was sitting outside of their guardian golems while they had some people running the planes (scouting high level areas for bossloot), but they'd negelected to renew their buffs, so I went undetected. Glancing aruond at some of the more famous players' inventories, I saw many artifacts and such, and one unresistable reward: ioun stones buzzing around the heads of a couple of the players!

I quickly stole the stones, rings, and earrings from as many peolpe as I could, until my worst fear happened: someone entered the room between my hiding and stealing, saw me standing in the room plain as day(I was KoS to most of the high level players on the MUD,) and the jig was up! I ate a bash and some nukes, escaped with a small amount of life, and ran back inside the city, where I planned to hide in one of the numerous empty and locked rooms in the poor quarter (noone went there for obvious reasons, and for equally obvious reasoning I'd memorized its layout.) But luck was not on my side, and the enraged group's main tank came charging after me, decked out in artifact weapons and armor and pissed off about his ioun stone!

He managed to track me down and closed me inside of a room with a door (you couldn't open doors whiel engaged in combat, on this MUD,) and I was panicking, but then I decided to fight back and use what I had at hand: a shitload of expensive (stolen) potions, and my thief skills. I chugged some heals and a stoneskin to survive the monstrous beatnig I was taking, and did the only thing I could think of:

trip <warrior>.

The trip command was a crummy version of bash available to thieves, it had a much longer delay from attacking to make it virtually unusable while soloing (you wouldn't begin swingin your weapon again until after the target regained their feet and swung back,) but it also had the happy ability of forcing the target to lie down instead of sitting, which forced them to temporarily disengage until they were back in rest/stand. So I did the only other thing I could, once I tripped the warrior up:

dirttoss <warrior>
steal ring <warrior>
trip <warrior>
dirttoss <warrior>
steal belt <warrior>
rinse, repeat! :laugh:

After a minute or two I figured that the warrior's guildmates would be getting close, so I opened the door while he was lying on the ground half-naked and half-dead (since he had no shield and half his armor gone, I was starting to win the fight pretty easily), exited, then snuck to the inn, logging out.

I received a few death threats over the course of the next week, and promises of being killed down to level one ("purged" it was called, since you'd lose 10% or so of a level for a pk death,) but since I'd already been accustomed to being chased, being scryed at random times, with a bounty and a shitload of loot on me at all times. I kept up my crime spree for another couple successful months, until I finally lost enough levels to be hovering above the level where I could no longer steal. Then, my true bane showed up: guild-sponsored thieves, power-levelled by their friends.. :dawkins101:

A few months later, thieves received major nerfs due to evil-race thieves learning to raid disguised as good-aligned races, sponsored thieves robbing artifacts and ioun stones from otehr players and passnig the loot to their guilds constantly, thieves sneaking into zones and robbing groups mid-raid, etc.. The class has still not recovered nearly ten years later, but I like to think that I was partially responsible for causing people to see how overpowered and abusively they could be played. :911:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 7, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tualek posted:

I actually have story about this. One of my old guild mates who was stationed in Korea who use to play Lineage 2 told me about it. Ok, I don't play Lineage 2, so bear with me.
:words:
I found this hard to believe at first, but then I remembered...Koreans take their video games very, very, very, very seriously...
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/31/moscows-lineage-ii-meet-up-murder/
It's not the first time it's happened in Russia, and I know there was at least one asian man (don't rememebr if he was Chinese or Korean,) who got some super-rare sword stolen from him, went to the cops who did nothing, then went and stabbed the dude who stole his sword to dearth, stabbed him like 20 times.. :psyduck:

Office Sheep posted:

I loved WoW before the diminishing returns in PVP. One of my best memories of that game was seeing how many times I could throw someone off the great lift with preist mind control or fear before they gave up as a priest. Fear used to run you off cliffs as well so you could hold up a lot of people from getting up the lift. If people came to help the person you could fear them off as well.
You used to be able to create summon portals in WoW, without there necessarily being a floor underneath.. Fearing people off the boat right next to the edge of the map was always shitloads of fun, too. I used to walk out onto teh prow of the boat and stand on the very tip of the prow as it sailed back and forth. Pubbies always asked me how to get up there since it wasn't an entirely clear jump, so I made up a pretty large number of ridiculous instructions to get up there, almost all of which would ensure that the player would fall into the ocean, hopefully while teh ship was 20 minutes away from the shore. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 8, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dolemite posted:

Yep, 3 credit hours and it counted as an elective in my program. Score!

I don't know if she has any idea what lurks beyond her safety zone of the virtual campus. I doubt she's explored much beyond it. I'm laughing at the thought of her venturing out to some sick plot of land where her avatar gets sodomized by a giant eyeball with a yellow banana penis or something.
And why hasn't anyone griefed the hell out of their online SL campus, or figured out when the class was in session and just showed up with a rape train full of goons?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Abugadu posted:

creativity
This can not be emphasized enough. Downloading hacks, using cheats, spawn-camping some hapless newbie, are all simple and easy to do and repeat in nearly any setting. You may have noticed that all of the GOOD stories in this thread, were probably the first time you've heard of someone doing that specific process of griefing, or they were the first+final instance of someone finding or doing something wickedly nasty with the flair of MacGyver.

Finding the exploit, using an underutilised ability/item/class/area to gently caress with people, figuring out how to ban GMs or anonymously send out global messages or fatal amounts of damage without being traced. That is what's important, often even moreso than the actual woe you cause to people.

Griefers are pioneers, never forget that.

If you're playing Runescape and ripping people off by pretending to lose link after someone hands you an item, or hollering "Hay guys, alt-f4 will magically double your golds!" and then claiming to be griefing people, then you're doing it wrong.

Good griefing is like art, man. It takes skill, and timing, and a desire to create something (even if you're just creating chaos and horror.) You can't just paint 4 cans of soup on a canvas and call it art, it's been done man. You gotta at least think up a good premise why your 4 cans are superior! :D

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 9, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeathCon05 posted:

Mundane griefing is still hilarious no matter what you guys say.
No, it really isn't. It's almost as hip and popular as Metallica post-Napster.. You know, a couple people like some songs on one of their post-Black albums, but everyone knew it was over when the monkey rant video came out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 9, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sentient Toaster posted:

Iron Realms games are notorious for having incredible lists of status changes and afflictions players can suffer from. This means there's an even bigger list of counters, cures and preventative measures. Buffs, herbs, salves, potions, tattoos, runes and lord knows what else. The whole thing is complicated enough that just about every player develops some kind of combat system using aliases, triggers and macros to automate things like healing and item management. So what do you do to a PVP junkie that you can't stand? Send him a letter!

>read letter
Your limbs begin to feel numb.
(press any key to read more)

If the reader happens to leave his triggers on, his combat system will keep wasting expensive resources trying to fix a problem that isn't there. This always prompted an outburst on public channels, but it couldn't really be punished because Achaea was a mandatory RP game at the time. Watching your combat system puke all over itself wasn't an in-character thing.
Abusing other people's poorly-constructed triggers is always loads of fun on MUDs. just walking into a roomful of people and "emote sends you sprawling." in most diku MUDs will force everyone to stand up, casters to auto-flee, etc.

I have been playing one of the oldest MUDs around again recently, MUME. Most of the players there use a client to play and set up triggers and aliases and scripts, but among other things, the generally preferred client has trouble parsing certain non-alphanumeric characters, and instead pukes them out as if they came out as commands from the player.. Combine this with a lot of hardcore, fulltime pvp swedes who're essentially running bots (although this is punishable by the imms, it's rarely noted for the guys from the MUD owner's country for some odd reason..)

So when someone narrates like "#;stand;quaff potion;remove sword;change mood wimpy;emote gets down on his knees and sucks you off", people will follow that string of commands.

To top this off, MUME has a pvp race of Trolls (which if you're familiar with Tolkein at all, you know can turn to statues when caught in sunlight,) who die down to level one and essentially need to be rerolled if they're ever caught in the sunlight.

So I made a low level troll, walked to Grinder (the general center of the troll warrens,) where a good-sized group of high level troll players were chilling, waiting for nightfall so they could go smash hobbits.

Of course, I just spewed the speedwalk commands to get up and exit the troll caves and go a few rooms out into sunlight.

...I've never seen a bunch of swedes so angry in my entire life. I think I'm sitebanned now, too. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

m2pt5 posted:

You can do a similar thing with Kirby; inhale an opponent, but don't swallow and walk off the side instead.
Yeah, I haven't played Smash Bros in nearly 10 years, and even I know that Kirby could grief the gently caress out of people in that game. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

This is amazing, did you completely ruin their characters forever?
No, since the higher-level imms (most of which live in the fabulous land of fjords, hehe) decided that it was I was "abusing triggers in a pvp situation" while they were technically "not expecting to be in a pvp situation," I was punished and they were restored from a charfile from a day or two before.

I can understand the logic, since I really did do precisely that. But gently caress, man, just be a man about it and say "you're a douchebag and you permakilled 1/3 of the warlord list, you're outta here!" :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

F201 posted:

Who cares how lame and boring it is? If you're griefing, the goal is to piss people off. Cheats work a peach - in fact, so well that you're seeing it extend into this very thread!
So lets make up a scenario:
You're a wimpy, nerdy kid at school. Some kid walks up and punches you in the face, then goes "HA HA!" and think's he's pretty cool because his parents put him through karate classes or something, maybe he was just born an ogre. The kids going by think the kid is an rear end in a top hat, you're bleeding and crying, and the teachers think the kid is probably abused or something by his alcoholic father when he goes him at night. Eventually, someone kicks the poo poo out of the bully, or he ends up in jail or something.

-That's aimbotting.

Now, imagine you're any person in school (not necessarily wimpy, skinny, or uinpopular,) walking through the courtyard by the fountain, and someone comes up to you and starts holelring gibberish at you, getting up in your face, makign monkey noises. You, obviously put off by this display of utter weirdness, back away from the freaky kid.. And right into the other kid, who was on his hands and knees right behind you. You fall over backwards into the fountain, everyone in the courtyard sees and laughs and thinks it's hilarious, your clothes are all soaked, and you're hopping mad. Next week, you see the ADHD making monkey noises at some other student, and you rememebr what happened, so with a big smile on your face, you stop to watch the hijinx ensue. Next week after, those same two hooligans figure out a way to lock freshman into the bathroom..

-That's something a lot closer to griefing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

sebmal posted:

If I ever play Second Life, this would have to be my avatar.

Nybble posted:

What about the "Mystery Pooper" who would leave poop (we assumed his own) in random places, including the girls bathroom, boys bathroom, corners of the library, backstage of the auditorium, and once on the back stairwell during classes?
That was probably just the retarded kid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nybble posted:

We concluded it was the stoners who didn't go to class. They probably got a kick out of it, and the idea is funny, except if you are trying to find a book and step in poo-poo. That smell doesn't come off easily.
Now if you were trying to find a book and IT was full of poopoo, that would be pretty damned funny! :iamafag:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrDutch posted:

Some goons came online, in total we were with 4, one left soon.

3 of us when to a whorehouse, but we didnt really plan anything so best we could do was me making GBS threads in a corner.
You should NWS those, please.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kcow posted:

In SL I found out if they lock you out of a house you can just right click on a chair and click "Sit down" and it teleports you into the house. This has problebly been posted but I was so entertained when a guy kicked me out of his house when I was naked walking around scaring his guests while he was giving a tour only to find me sitting on his bed on the second floor.
This really cracked me up for being so simple. I just get an image of this happening in IRL, some naked freakazoid keeps sneaking into the house through windows, while a realtor is trying to show people around during an Open House. :laugh:

androo posted:

:psyduck:
That poo poo had me rolling, ducks vs hitler! I gotta try this game it looks too funny. The :911: was probably the best. :)

tv iv is nerds posted:

:words:
Aside from the aimbotting, most of that was pretty good. But theft? You really shouldn't be dumb enough to admit to stealing people's CD keys in any way shape or form.

You're not gonna get arrested for it, but jesus, have some class. No good thief ever admits to stealing. :downs:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mathemagician posted:

I know it's not 'griefing' because I'm still helping the team, but it's good enough for me. Also, my bro (also goon) and I are seriously considering loading up SL to see if we can't cause some damage.
This is loving awesome, and it makes me wish I had a copy of TOB.

And imho, just because some people think you're doing something good (for them specifically, such as was the case in this instance,) doesn't mean you aren't griefing someone else.. You don't have to piss off everyone in the game to grief, just whoever you select, and sometimes, using or spreading griefing tactics to pubbies can be pretty cool! ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What is "Crab Walking"?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hSw9pAnMwZU

It really doesn't look anything like a person doing a crabwalk, but it does look stupid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

InediblePenguin posted:

Which is the point, isn't it?
It bugs the pedantist in me to call it a "crabwalk," though.

This is a crabwalk:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FAG ON THE FORUMS posted:

Lol, I read that as "pederast" for some reason.

When I think of the crabwalk, I think of how Dr. Zoidberg walks, but that's just me v:shobon:v
I'm really glad I didn't use the first google image result I got then, which was a playground full of little children crabwalking across a field.. :psyduck:

I guess I just don't watch all those cool shows anymore, so I'm out of the loop. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.. :downsgun:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrDutch posted:

Right now im inside a house listening to 2 chicks on VOIP discussing there family lifes, and they dont know im hiding in there house in a corner where they cant see me, its pretty bizarre...
Maybe your inner animal is a spider, as well.. :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I was just thinking about why I'm pro-griefing instead of anti-griefing. I thought about it for a while, and tried to take into account that I may just be a sociopath or something, but to be honest I think I have figured out just where my love of making other people miserable in videogames comes from, and it's pretty simple.

Because in most games, "civilians" can't force you to behave politely.

I grew up on BBS games (LOTRD, LOD, TradeWars, etc etc) and MUDs which were ALWAYS fully PvP enabled, and I got pretty used to being polite to players, since they could simply kill you, or put a bounty on your head, or break into your room in the inn while you were logged out, and kill you and rob you, etc.. PVP was obviously a big part of how the games worked, and that was often WHY they worked, but the pvp was also a way to encourage civil behavior. I've lost ridiculous amounts of money, items, play-time, characters in games, because I deserved it, or because someone was more powerful/canny than I was.

Games today kind of bore me at heart, I think. It's the same reason every year or two, I find myself back playing a MUD, or eyeballing private UO servers or TW2002 servers, etc.. I'm sick of people expecting and feeling entitled to being catered to. Games with pvp-safe areas that cover most of the world, lossless (and often the only PVP left is opt-in only,) deaths, moderators who're bound by the wording in their job description to be impartial and protect the game world instead of going apeshit because you ganked their friends' alts, etc..

People have it too easy in games, there's no reward if there's no risk, and to be honest, some of my funnest griefing and pvp experiences have been when I lost, knowing that I just got owned and the winner deserved to win, giving them a little respect after madly poo poo-talking them until they figured out how to get rid of me, etc.

Without griefers, a lot of today's games have no point. Unlimited lives, tutorials, terms of service that ban people for saying "poo poo" the first time someone complains.

I think I, deep down inside, simply despise most people on most games these days for how weak they are. Like a barbarian returning home from a long and arduous journey to gain his recognition, only to realize that his formerly barbarian village has decided to take up flower-arranging. I'm loving disgusted by most players today, and how they will give up even trying to find a solution and go to a walkthrough first, and then feel that they accomplished something.

I don't know, it's definitely a "back in my day," rant, but I'm curious if anyone else feels similar about it, or cares to try and externalize why they might enjoy griefing when others don't. (aside from the obvious laughs.)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrDutch posted:

Then one of the hookers starts losing it.

Think it can be better, needs more work.
The most logical continuation I which immediately comes to mind, is to install that other dude's pokeball inside the horse's rear end, so you really COULD trap people inside a horse's rectum. :cawg:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ the current MUDs thread is on the front page right now, go check it out. They mention Achaea a lot.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Count me in. This will be awesome. In addition to swarming the streets, I'm going to try and help out the Dateline goons however possible. As a spider!
I have no idea why people aren't capitalizing on that pokeball ability more, you could reskin one as a coccoon pretty easily, I'd imagine.. ;)

My crummy old laptop's onboard video shits on second life, so I can't even function in-game. Otherwise, I'd be stoked to help.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Wensey posted:

I also learned my friend's password, removed everything out of his inventory including his hearthstone which allows you to teleport to your "home", and spent an hour and a half swimming him around the mountain-border of the world to an easter egg beach on the corner of the continent. The only way back was a very treacherous 1.5 hour swim where you had about 5 inches of room where you could safely swim without dying of fatigue.
I have to wade in on this one with one of my own..

Back when I played WoW (very) regularly, I was in the secondmost progressed Horde-side raiding guild, and our guild's Hunter "Class Lead" officer. This was all pre-BC, for reference.

Anyway, one of the things I did as a responsible officer, was to test out the hunters in my guild periodically, make pretty hardcore requirements for gear and the consumables they were required to bring to a raid (or they'd be booted out in favor of another player who had taken the time to collect all their bandaids and potions and then wait patiently in Kargath in the "Ready to Raid" queue. Yeah, we were serious business.)

Among other things I'd do to my hunters, such as requiring them to train a dragon to a major city every once in a while (our hunters were used in MC to train certain dangerous mobs away from the raid until we had killed off the other trashmobs, and loving up would invariably cause a wipe unless another hunter was ready and waiting to re-train the mob, so training practise was vital,) I'd require hunters to both obtain the hunter epic quest weapons even if they didn't need them, and also have the other guild hunters assist them in doing so, to encourage camaraderie and all that kind of thing.

Now, one of the hunters in the guild had been working on his quest forever but had never been able to beat the Winterspring demon due to both bad luck, timing, and his inability to train his way out of a paper bag.. So this particular night we played very very late and he failed the first try, but he had to go to work, so he let his brother play his character for him so we could get his weapon for him. There was a bug in this quest that allowed a party member to kill the questmob for you and then you could loot the quest item, so the plan was for me to do the mob, let his brother loot the head off of it, and when he got back from work he's have a brand-new bow and staff.

Well, some of the guys with me complained that he was having to work for his bow, so we started talking poo poo about what we should do to mess with him after we finished getting him his questbow..

"Lets leave him in Ironforge!"
"Naked!"
"With no hearthstone!"
"But leave him his new bow and staff, and a bag of bullets!" (he'd used guns until that point.)

His brother was with us, oo we summoned him to felwood to get the stuff, summoned him to Org to put all his equipment, potions, etc in the bank, then filled his inventory with random quest junk, snowballs, grey vendor junk items, etc.

As we walked from Kargath to Ironforge we ran into a couple big groups of whities who started harassing us, so a bunch of people in the guild got into it and came to escort us, ending up with a 30+ person raid group walking (but not riding) to Ironforge. We ended up having a merry raid on the city until we got zerg-swarmed, which culminated in us all hearthng out and leaving him standing naked in front of the Dwarf King (after a couple ghost runs.)

When Pete logged into vent later that afternoon after returning from work:
"Hey guys, so did you manage to get my bow?"
"Hell yeah dude, I killed the demon piece of cake, we even took your bro to Felwood and turned in the quest, you're already wielding your new bow!"
"Awesome! Logging in now!"
"..."
"..."
"..."
"What the gently caress, dude!? Why am I loading in Ironforg-gently caress I got ganked! Howcome I don't have any armor on!? Why can't I fire my bo-poo poo I don't have any arrows!"

The entire guild was laughing at him now, as he corpse-ran four or five times just to get to the city gates. Of course, we refused him a summon, and it took him nearly 90 minutes to get back to somewhere safe, because a bunch of whities ended up hounding him to STV as we'd thoughtfully put his mount in a nice, safe bank slot.

It wasn't griefing, and it's pretty :glomp: overall, but god he wouldn't talk to me for a week.. ;)

Edit: somehow forgot to finisha sentence, edited for clarity.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 16, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ledneh posted:

Like gently caress that isn't griefing, that's a pretty good grief if I do say so myself
Thanks, here's another one, then!

For our REAL in-guild griefing, one of the major poopsockers in our guild had somehow managed to get a level 10 or so alt to The yeti area where snowballs load in the wintertime, and proceeded to fill the character's inventory with stacks of snowballs, mailed pages full of stacks of snowballs to himself, and filled up his bank and a few containers with stacks of snowballs.

Now in WoW, snowballs have a "knockdown" animation that interrupts movement, spellcasts, crafting, etc. So he distributed dozens of stacks of snowballs to everyone in the guild one day in midsummer, and we proceeded to cause chaos by chasing around enchanters in cities and knocking them down as they tried to disenchant items, and hanging around the blacksmith and pelting people with snowballs while they left their mods to craft a bunch of items (but the mods were dumb and if interrupted, they'd stop trying to keep crafting, so the guy would come back expecting a couple dozen items, but have none..!)

But the real fun didn't start until our Tuesday night raid on BlackRock Spire...

Our guildmaster was prone to getting fairly drunk and dramatic during raids, while most of our guildmembers had most of the gear they needed, and were just farming DKP. Since our guild was very established and comfortable in being the number 2 with noone close to our level of progression below us, we decided to not bring all our required consumables, but instead nearly every person in the raid snuck in a few stacks of snowballs. The guildmaster had previously scolded people for using snowballs in raids, and there was a standing rule that if you threw a snowball after we entered a raid zone, you'd get booted on the spot, so people were already ITCHING to use some snowballs again.

Things were kept on the down-low, and except for a couple random snowball sightings while outside, we kept true to form; once we entered the zone everyone went to our assigned placesd for the fight, and we cleared the first room without a hitch. And the second. And the always-stressful whelp area, and the boss after them(can't recall his name anymore.) After we'd cleared up to this point we were pretty much to the "new" content we didn't have on farm status yet, so our guildmaster started hollering orders and getting everyone ready. He gets everyone set up in big, close-knit piles standing on top of each other and starts tossing a rezz to someone...

Until a snowball zips out from nowhere and knocks him down.

He of course immediately goes WHO DID THAT YOU KNOW BETTER!? But snowballs didn't show up in combat logs... And everyone was standing in such close groups that you couldn't see the animation happen... v;)v

He starts rezzing again after giving up on finding the culprit, and POW, another snowball hits him. He yells, no response, starts rezzing again, gets nailed by another snowball from another direction, indicating that at least TWO people had snowballs..! Rut-roh he was getting pissed now, TWO PEOPLE DIDN'T FOLLOW THE RULES!

He starts rezzing again after another short tirade, and suddenly at least 6 snowballs hit him at almost exactly the same instant.

More shouting! More casting! MORE snowballs! By this point it's pretty obvious that more than several people had snowballs.. He gets PISSED, calls a halt to the raid, and tries a different approach to what is obviosuly a problem within his command.. He starts making a speech about how upset and disappointed :iamafag: he was at our disregarding how important clearing content is etc etc..

His patience and speech lasted for almost 90 seconds before the snowballs knocking him on his rear end every 3-4 seconds were the last straw.. He LOSES HIS poo poo and starts SCREAMING at everyone in a drunken rant, until he's sobbing over his words. Literally crying because he was so upset that we weren't raiding and he was being disobeyed.

Silence ensues, while we listen to our guildmaster crying and whining like a 5 yr old with a skinned knee..

Then he /gquit.

We all sat there kind of stunned, some people wondering aloud if we'd gone too far. More silence, and the co-leader of the guild was being suspiciously quiet. Then he says, "Well, I was getting sick of him pissing and moaning anyway. Lets take the night off and go gently caress with whities."

Our old guildleader didn't ever try to return to my knowledge; he was so humiliated that he'd had a drunken crying jag (which we of course posted on the server's message board to be laughed over,) that he ended up giving/selling his character to someone else the day after he heard we'd finally downed Nefarion, making us one of the undisputed best progression guilds on the server and only the second Horde guild to ever down Nef on our server (because that poo poo was crazy hard until Paladins were added to Horde), which was always the old leader's number one priority: bragging rights and a place of honor on the progression sticky. Later that guy who had the character came and asked us to join our guild because he'd heard our guild was pretty good (and the only gear he didn't already have was of course in BRS, the guild leader had of course always gotten loot priority due to his insanely high DKP). We of course assented to him coming to join us for a trial run on our next MC raid.

...Then pelted the gently caress out of him with snowballs while laughing at him on Vent. He never came back.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 16, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nybble posted:

I'm laughing at the poor innocent bastard who had no knowledge of his legacy on the server. That guy had to be very confused. "A whole guild? What in the world?" I would have thought it was initiation.. but hey, whatever. Great stories!
It was pretty obvious why we didn't want him because everyone was hollering poo poo about him being a pussy who bought characters he didn't actually know how to play. He wasn't a good enough cleric to keep up as a raid healer, even in some of the best healing gear in the game at that time.

If I remember, the ebay bitch ended up respeccing shadow, and doing nothing but playing in the Battlegrounds.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

slovach posted:

Well, it's people we knew from games, so I guess it sort of counts.

edit: Maybe. Basically, instead of doing poo poo in game, we took it to the telephone with wonderful results. Certain real world connections only further aided this process.
Doesn't sound much like griefing to me either, just a phone prank by some middle school kids, with a dubiously truthful ending doubtlessly retold all across the cafeteria.

Remember the root reason we grief.. It's not to hurt people's feelings so much as show them the irony of taking games as Serious Business. Even if they don't understand you're showing them the absurdity of their massive investment (and if you don't see yourself caught up in the same web,) you still get a feeling of superiority.

Picking on some kid over the phone is not griefing, is harassment. And while I'm not actually against it, it's not griefing.

Griefing is done in a virtual world, as a way to keep yourself rooted in the real one, or at least pretend to be doing so.

This is also why in my first WoW story, I added the cavéat that I didn't really think it was griefing. We weren't shaking anyone's version of their own reality, or showing them their absurdity, we just pulled a carefully orchestrated prank that was really hilarious, and that the person who was the end target ended up laughing along with, and even sharing the story as a badge of honor. It's still a funny story, but it is probably not technically griefing.

But snowballing a drunken guildmaster until he gquit is arguably griefing's epitome: someone mentioned it previously in the thread that chasing someone off of a game in a frothing jibberish mess, (temporarily or permenantly) is probably the best reward.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 17, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MightyZaar posted:

The other group members would do any number of things, usually getting angry, cursing, yelling, chaos, confusion, trying to help, and dying. Eventually they would either leave, try to help and die, or get wise to our pattern and help without dying. Not that it made any difference to us because we'd get the job done either way, but we had lots of fun laughing at peoples' reactions over vent.
I used to take my level 60 orc hunter inside Wailing Caverns, because there's always be some newbie alt looking to get plevelled. So i'd tell lowbies I was going to help a friend, get a party togther, (I'd designate a random one as my "friend" and send private tells to people that I didn't want anyone else to get jealous,) and bring them inside the zone a little ways, and tell them the plan: I was going to train a huge pile of mobs with my pet, then AOE and do other badass hunter poo poo to kill everything at once.

So I'd do this with a couple piles of 10-15 mobs, the lowbies would get cocky and restless by this point, so I'd just rush ahead and rapidly swap targets, sending my pet in to taunt everything it ran past. I could usually get about 2/3 of the way to the final boss in WC, before my pet would crumble and die, slingshotting all the mobs directly to me and the newbies I'd been leading.

Then I'd feign death, watch everyone die, then stand back up and walk out of the zone since everything was too low level to aggro me.

Also, back when UBRS and LBRS were pretty much endgame, I'd run enough of them to have the full 8/8 Beaststalker set, and I'd generally run LBRS and UBRS a couple times a night to help my friends, so i got to be very practised at training the final boss of UBRS while a bunch of pubbies struggled to kill his bodyguards. Of course, this gave me ultimate power to avenge msyelf on any pubibes who were particularly rude and obnoxious. Then of course there was the famous whelp room.

But the REAL beauty of a nasty trick was that UBRS and LBRS were actually the same zone, and you could reach one from the other if you could survive certain jumps, etc. Being a hunter with the ability to feign death and escape from basically anything, I was familiar with the area and had short patience for rude pubbies. Interestingly, if you stood on a certain bridge near the entrance to ord Verminaard (or w/e his name was, the big dragonspawn guy that sat on the attunement crystal..) as a hunter with max talents in range, you could shoot the mobs near the midpoint to LBRS, from outside the boss's room in the end of UBRS. Since you were in a zone, nothing would stop chasing you until you died, feigned, or zoned out.. So occasionally I'd pop a quick shot into the guards on the bridge that was basically completely out of sight, then continue on clearing the trash around the boss as if nothing happened, until a few minutes later someone in the party noticed that they couldn't eat or drink because they were still in combat...

"Hey guys, did someone aggro something?"
"Naw, not me, I'm not in combat.. oh wait, I am, too! WTF!?"
...Usually the party would think out loud amongst themselves for a little bit, then decide to head to the exit to zone out so they could regen. By that time, a few dozen mobs would stampede across the bridge near the Beast, and wipe the party while I feigned death.

It's not nearly as funny when written, but after running those zones scores of times, I didn't have much patience for it, and would wipe a 10 man party at the drop of a hat.. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 18, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sub-Actuality posted:

Yes, it's interesting. Tell us more. Why is everyone asking permission to post stories about griefing in the Griefing Discussion Thread?
I think it's probably just people being prudent. As was mentinoed, it IS a lot to type, and if you want to get across a truly funny griefing story, some editing should be involved too.

On top of that, you have the worry that some jagoff will immediately quote you with "GOD THAT WAS THE STUPIDEST STORY EVER AND THAT GAME IS FOR FAGS". I added a cavéat to my first WoW story because I didn't really think it was a griefing story, but I thought people would enjoy it; I figured that if someone didnt think ti was griefing that was ok, btu it was better to state that I didn't think it was griefing myself, to keep them from having a chance to troll.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Muddy_Funster posted:

^^^^ This would be awesome. Prehaps we need to turn up as another domination? A squad of catholic priests/american presidents/what about turning up in suicide vests ?
Catholic Priests and George Bush clones wearing suicide vests.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

L33t_Kefka posted:

If something big is done in the virtual mecca, :tenbux: says it'll make :foxnews: and/or blossom into an international incident of some sorts.
Then pretend to be Homeland Security.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GruntyThrst posted:

Cool GM, too.
This makes me wonder, does anyone have any good GM stories of any flavor?

I used to cruise around invis when I was an imm on a MUD, just idly watching people play, but occasionally I'd catch them multiplaying: trying to catch peolpe multiplaying, or interesting gossip, whatever. The multiplayers were the best though. They'd always go waaaayyyy out into the middle of nowhere, or into the most isolated, desoalte room within city limits, and then hide big piles of stuff on a rat or in a box or a birdnest, etc. Being an imm, it was my job to prevent people from doing this, and report them for potential level demotion or sitebanning, depending on how severe the multiplaying was (generally you only got sitebanned for epeat attempts or for cross-racewars banking/trading.)

So I'd eat all the equipment except for one item, then hang around till the guy showed up on his alt, did a "get all" from wherever he'd secreted his possessions, and laugh silently while he realized it was all totally vanished. Sometimes they'd simply walk away, assuming that someone had stolen their stash, sometimes they'd emote and say random stuff that was pretty amusing. Never did they complain in global channels, for obvious reasons (but you'd occasionally get the "has anyone picked up a sword of backbreaking? my little brother/i got disarmed/accidentally dropped it") and so they'd be stuck without recompense or any way of doing anything. I was almost sad for them.

Then I'd snap back into visibility and 1shot them causing them to lose a level, and PST them to not try and cheat. v:)v

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

100%BEEF posted:

Once I managed to stand on a sniper's head for a good 5 minutes, continually using the "jeer" voice command to insult him after every shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBdBDZDmI_k
Cute little vid and good soundtrack, but I really wish it had audio of you standing on that sniper's head. :D

victrix posted:

edit: Prime example - I *disabled* non-friend voicechat on XBL because I can't stand penis in my ear while gaming. I have negative feedback for trash talk/foul language. What.
Myself and a ton of goons play COD4 on XBL all the time, and one of the goons we regularly play with (who's also ridiculously good, especially in hardcore,) is a guy named Xachariah, who's deaf. literally. As in, can't hear you, no talking, deaf.

His avoided rating is crazy high, and almost all of his avoids are trash-talking ratings.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Adrenochrome posted:

I was shadow and the guy just took me by surprise. Do you want a medal because you're better at world PvP than someone who is leveling a priest for the first time? :confused:
I suspect that part of the reason he was being so snarky to you, is that your story was the opposite of a griefing story; you sucked, you got killed, end of story.

That story doesn't really belong in this thread. You emoted at someone a couple times, they killed you. Big deal.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bovineicide posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight. It would be awesome to hold both teams hostage on a large map by getting guys in on both teams to do this. Unfortunately, the plasma pistol doesn't work on the elephant in Sandtrap.
No, but it's awfully fun to steal the elephant and drive it the opposite direction that anyone asks you to. Flipping it is cool too, but it's easy to turn it back over.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bashez posted:

Healing yourself reaggros them and extends their leash. This is how you kite things.
I was hoping no one would mention this to him, I was amusing myself by visualising him running around with a pack of monsters on his rear end, spam-casting on himself, going "Why won't they leave me alone!? They only chase me this far, noone else!" :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stokes posted:

I don't think this link has been mentioned in the thread: http://www.ventriloharassment.org/1-10.htm

Some guy with a bunch of soundboards that enters random Ventrilo servers. Watch them in order to get the jokes in the later ones. My personal favorites are 'Predator' and 'Duke Nukem Forever.'
Bahaha some of those are awesome, but I'm glad I didn't try to play them at work. ;)

The "Koreans" one on the front page was awesome, and "extreme edition" was pretty hilarious when the chick started going on about the magic bot linked to a website full of celebrity voices that he'd somehow linked to ventrilo to automagivcally respond to people correctl-STOP WHINING! STOP WHINING! STOP WHINING!

"Get your mother!" "uh no dude, she's sleeping" "don't bullshit me, get your mother!"

Thanks for posting this, I am gonna waste all night listening to these now.. :laugh:

Oh poo poo, I always wondered where that "4 strength 4 stam leahter belt URGHHH AUUUGHHH!!!" came from. I'm loving DYING here, crying I'm laughing so hard.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 5, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IroncladTomato posted:

:aaa: Holy poo poo I can't imagine...
I just...
:psyduck:
This reminds me of a PVP-MUD I used to play where one of the imms was a female, and it came to be known that she was sending naked hambeast pics and cybering with one of the players, or something along those lines.. So of course someone managed to post some transcripts and stuff online. It was a shitstorm of glorious proportions..

I know there are other goons around here who played Duris, who could probably tell that story far better than I could.. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I don't think I've seen it in this thread yet, but the COD4 goons have developed some pretty entertaining methods of griefing both pubbies and fellow goons.

"Team Smoke": Self explanatory. You can only carry one smoke grenade in COD4, but most goons I know have smoke on most of their classes, and we're allf amiliar with how effectively you can hose a roomfull of peolpe by throwing assloads of smoke grenades, dying and respawning and throwing them again.

"Hush": Originally started as "wouldn't it be awesome if our entire team used silencers?" The "Hush" mode of play grew quickly in popularity and complexity, eventually coming to encompass the entire team of goons (mostly) using a Silencer, UAV Jammer, and possibly Dead Silence perks. I can perasonally verify that a team decked out like this is loving IMPOSSIBLE to deal with, as I've come ..into some games on the wrong team, and got my rear end royally handed to me while the pubbies on my team cried tears of "Why are NONE of them showing up on my radar!?"

Eventually, Hush (also known as "Team Shush") mode became a game of hide and seek, culminating in the entire goon team putting on Radar Jammers and Ghilly Suits and hiding in bushes and tall grass, since the ghilly suit effectively makes you invisible if you don't move at all.. For the entire game. Rules are simple: Don't get found, last one hiding wins. We've had our entire group of goons lying in the grass listening to the other team's voice chatter, and literally had people from the other team stepping on us and walking through our entire team, while asking "Where the gently caress did they all go!?"

"Pro-Pipers": The M203 Grenade launcher in COD4 pretty classic, a single-shot grenade launcher with an arc and a smoke trail, which can take some practise to accurately hit and kill opponents in normal games, since the splash damage is not highly effective. However, in COD4 there is Hardcore Mode - no HUD, no health regen, all weapons effectively 1-shot-kill. While it's not an easy weapon to use, the M203 is available to level 1 players, so it quickly became the "Noob Toob" and a weapon of scorn. Until some goons figured out that you can start with two rifles equipped with M203s, which also allows you to have FOUR grenade rounds. Now, put this in hardcore, and give pro-pipes to every goon in the room, and you'll hear pubby rage like nobody's business. RPGs work well also, but are less effective than grenade launchers.

"Clan Imposters": Generally the COD4 goons' rule of thumb is, "Whatever clan has the most people or is the most annoying, steal their clan tag ASAP." Usually at least a couple goons will change clan tags to that of our opponents befoer a game begins. This often generates huge amounts of pubby tears as some 14-yr-old kid who's an "officer" in his clan, attempts to "out" us as being imposters, while we either accuse them of being the true imposters, or claim that a fictitious person told us we could join.

If your timing and voicework are particularly good, it's not hard to say in a falsetto voice, "Hey guys, I didn't get in the game in time, can you back out and invite me?" and you will generally get the opposing clan to leave about 60% of the time, and they then spam you with game invites until one of them gets a clue. My personal favorite mode of clan-cloning attack is to excitedly ask the people in the clan for their website because I'm so excited to join since bobby told me you guys thought I was a great player," generally accompanied by a great deal of TKing, apologies of "whoops!" and a huge amount of "FEAR MY CLAN [insertnamehere] WE'RE GONNA ROCK YOUR WORLD LOSERS YOU ALL SUCK!" which generally gets most of the other pubbies in the room rating down the clan I am "representing," while they are laughing at the same clan being teamkilled by one of their "members" while the rest of them all scream and shout in anger..

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 19, 2008

• Locked thread