Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ImperfectNirvana posted:

You son of a bitch. The noob tube unbalances that game all to hell, especially in the smaller levels.
Naw it's perfectly fair, ask the goons who got 4 kills in the first 3 seconds of a match on Bog or Countdown, or killed the entire other team on Pipeline of all maps, by lobbing a single potshot across the map with his "noob" tube.

To paraphrase Clarke, "Any sufficiently advanced tactic is indistinguishable from cheating." :c00lbert:

Edit: God, I'm getting all my citations wrong today..

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MageMage posted:

OK, I for the life of me couldn't find any linked stories to the "Slime Invasion" in Ultima Online?

And believe me, I tried, I'm really interested.
It's in this thread, at least twice, and yes one of them was a link to a webpage if I remember correctly.

If I can recount it correctly, some dude trapped a slime behind a chair in his house and duped it a shitload of times, then tried blackmailed people/the server and noone believed him, so he let the slimes free and they hosed a ton of stuff up. I think he did it at least once more, too.

It's not nearly as funny with my retelling, but take an hour and read through this whole thread, some of the stories will have you crying from laughter, they certainly have done so for me! :D

rec posted:

I really feel sorry for any young kids out there with no experience in online games, who have heard about dota from friends at school - gone out and bought wc3 only to be absolutely punished by strung-out geeks threatening to rape their mother & eat their pets.
It's funny, overall I feel sorry for young kids/new gamers playing games today for almost the exact opposite reason: they'll never have the chances to grief people (and be griefed,) that so many of us have had, and they'll never know the real thrill of risk and feelings of accomplishment that those old games with slack PvP/etc rules could impart. poo poo, some of my greatest gaming experiences of all time were nothing more than surviving to escape from powerful pvpers and griefers in myriad MUDs, MMOs, shooters, and various other online games. :)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 20, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FadedReality posted:

Are you guys still using the xfire clan to organize? This sounds way more fun than playing solo and insulting any pubbie using text chat.

Though, the following is amazingly effective in a previously silent round:

:froggonk:: move out of the fukn door noobz

:cool:: shhhh
XFire? I roll with the XBox360 COD4 goons, and our thread is occasionally lurked by PS3 players since apparently they can't actually keep a thread going for their own console. :iceburn:

I dunno anything that's going on for the PC goons, this was just the stuff I've seen and heard about, playing on my XBox. I'd assume and hope that the PC goons have more variety and/or are more original than all us poor shmucks stuck on a gaming appliance instead of a ZOMG COMPUTER. :D

But in all honesty, if I had a gaming-level PC these days, I'd still play COD4 on XBox, it's just too clean and easy to play a ton of games and never worry about server latency or admins being douchebags.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Agean90 posted:

Same guy, different handle. Plays COD4 on XBOX Live. Has a recorder with the Numa Numa song on it. So he changes his clan tag to NUMA and plays the song over the headset. Half the people would swear uncontrollably at him, the other half would sing along.

Perhaps not the cleverest grief, but entertaining to listen to. A sample below:

:argh:"STOP PLAYING THAT YOU FAGG-"
:iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag: "NUMA NUMA NUMA YAY..."
Get that man a forums account, and point him to our XBox360 COD4 thread. We can show him some better stuff to put on his soundboard. So many goons bought Trash Talkers recently, that they're out of stock at play-asia! ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 22, 2008

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Aerobic Robot posted:

ARE YOU ON THE BALL?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgggspJ7jM&feature=related
GET ON THE BALL!
Holy poo poo that guy's relentless, that's loving fantastic! I kept busting out laughing again every time I thought I was getting bored.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Magnum1371 posted:

COD4, The news station map, I think its called Broadcast or something. Any way theres that house that has oversite of the entire front side of the Newstation. And 90% of the time there will be some one in there with a sniper rifle.
2 words

Smoke Grenade
Oh :drat: son, you sure showed them!

Seriously though, if you think this is griefing, read this thread, or go read the COD4 console thread. Those guys know what they're doing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TheLakers posted:

Actually, it's one of the best griefing techniques.
Throwing a smoke grenade into a window that may or may not have a sniper in it, when you happen to walk past? I would hardly consider that to be a staple of griefing. IOf course smoke grenades are excellent for griefing, but this particular individuals' "griefing" story is like a little kid sitting on their parent's lap holding the wheel while the parent drives, then the kid shouting "I drove the car! Did you see how awesome it was!?"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

Despite accidentally naming the sequel instead, this was pretty much his point. It's the same type of griefing (ie: not at all) as using a smoke grenade where a sniper is hiding.
Dude can't you read!? Everybody decided that using smoke grenades in a shooter is nothing but griefing, no matter the circumstance, consistency, or reasoning. :rolleyes:

Also, someone posted about the spectator infection thing a while back, it was pretty funny.. This is certainly one of those threads (like a good Lets Play) where showing up late and reading every page is just as good as being there from the start.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pleads posted:

Another awesome aspect of this is that if you do it without anyone noticing, it takes a long, long time before the whole group of angry mobs reaches your party, thus making it that much more confusing when suddenly you have 50 orcs and dogs romping around.
I think I might have already posted the UBRS trick previously, I remember one night when I'd been running UBRS all day on my hunter to get 8/8 Beaststalker (back when it was pretty much endgame content and before the stats on the sets got changed) and some fuckwit was trying to boss me around till I snapped, and shot the LBRS mobs then feigned and casually walked toward the zone entrance, since we'd cleared the gate to the exit for corpse-runners (it was a lousy group.)

The dipshit was still hollering orders when I reached the exit portal, just as one of the priests asked in party chat, "Why am I still in combat, guys? I can't drink! Why am I in combat WTF!?!?" I zoned out..

And by the time I'd loaded back into MC, I was the only one alive. Never gently caress with a hunter in an instance! :D

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FutureDwight posted:

I tend to prefer the griefing that doesn't really hamper a person's ability to play, but annoys the poo poo out of them for hours on end. In wow whenever Alliance is raiding Crossroads or Horde is raiding Westfall, I would always pick out one person from the raid and spam whatever annoying emote that I felt like. I would always use /cheer or /silly or something that made noise. The best was when I was a Tauren and used /moo because they actually mooed. I had an entire Ally raid emoting me to stop because I stood there for about 20 minutes spamming it. Nothing I could really do to stop the raid, but hopefully I ruined some people's funtimes
That's why they added emotes to the /ignore functinality.. Like 3 or 4 years ago?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HORSE RAPER posted:

I'm starting to think that "I think I win" is likely to be the next bannable catchphrase.
Why not simply make hubris the offense?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Trainmonk posted:

This is excellent.
Another thing about L4D is that (on console at least, I doubt it works on PC,) once a game begins, the only way you can be removed from the game is through voting, there is no host or anyone with admin permissions.. So if you join an Expert room and get kicked, then manually join the session again (since you can't quickly change room permissions,) you have plenty of time to kill 1 or 2 people before they can manage to get the vote rolling!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pinbacker posted:

Years and years ago, there was a game called Subspace
Although the term "negger" is pretty funny, I fail to see the griefing story or anecdote here. You were just scared of some poopsocker who farmed kills off weak players.

Bummersault posted:

Also, the /gather command allows you to pick flowers and poo poo but I was more interested in using it to put my rear end in other peoples' faces:

This reminds me of a friend I had in college, during class he'd play Runescape and grief people by standing in front of them in their cookfire fire while they cooked, etc.. Then he'd go on and on about how great of head they gave him till the person ran away, then he'd declare undying devotion to them and chase them until they built ANOTHER campfire, then he'd stand in it while the pubby got back down on their knees and started the bobbing animation. It was entirely too funny.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 23, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

curious posted:

A very, very long time ago, wrapping paper in discworld could wrap up anything, even things that inherited from /std/living. We never wrapped up a player, but we did wrap several monsters and deliver them outside the Drum. We also wrapped up and buried (destroyed) the lamp-posts on Short Street (the main street) and wrapped up and moved around the pickling stick dispenser in the Unseen University.
Wrapping Paper abuse has a long-standing and time-honoured tradition. Almost all online games I've played that had a "Present" dynamic also had a bit of growing pains, when people realized that they could do all kinds of stuff to trick people into buying a rock when they thought it was a super-duper item. WoW is the biggest and possibly most recent example of this, with people sending COD packages to random people with a price of several to several hundred gold, and TONS of people would open them and lose their money because, well, most people are dumb.

WoW: encouraging user stupidity on the greatest scale of any game, ever.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

This is absolutely hilarious. The thought of the poor sap who went through all the digits twice running across a trashed open briefcase has me tickled pink. MUD's will always have that simple charm and griefability you just can't find in modern MMO's, where even the designers can and will toy with the populace.
code:
#1000 {dial chest @i;#math @1 {@i+1};#wait {#rand{500,2500}}} 
Yep, no combination on that chest.

yeah I know that the script is probably wrong because I haven't used ZMud in a few couple/few years, but it really wouldn't be tough to bot this and mask it from detection, I used to do it all the time.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Amused Frog posted:

An acquaintance of mine who plays Eve says it was just a "Billfail" which is apparently a bug caused by the payment system Eve uses. Say it ain't so :(
While I'm not generally one to trust Shacknews very far, I'd give them a lot more belief than a friend of a dude who posted it online.

Sanctum posted:

I lost interest in EVE around the time BOB got caught getting hand-outs from certain devs who also had characters in BOB. That's so good to hear, it's like griefing known cheaters.

The 'corruption' in EVE was hosed though, in other MMOs it might mean some low-level GM was spawning some cool items for his friends but in EVE it was developers and they were giving BOB items that allow them to generate stupid amounts of cash. And the blueprints thing wasn't even the worst part but :aaaaa: I don't care anymore it's all a distant memory.
As part of their recompense to restore faith in their playerbase, they have the community vote for representatives, and then the EVE developers fly them to their headquarters to talk with them about the game and player concerns, what else do you expect a developer to do? That's a heckuva lot better than a support/complaint line or an online petition.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Anyone who thinks they even might consider it is retarded. This metagaming stuff is by far the best advertisment they have for the game, even ignoring notions of fair play and rules.
Seriously.. I heard a recount of the Guiding Hand Social Club's assassination (and delivery of the corpse to the initial contract signer) of some CEO.... On loving NPR.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 11, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Faleran posted:

I find it easier to just tell annoying newbies that hearthstones are currently broken and can irreparably damage your character. Therefore, you should never, never use them under any circumstances.
[1 - General Chat] Coyote: Hey guys, did you know that your hearthstone can't be destroyed? Even if you click "Accept" it'll stay in your inventory!
[1 - General Chat] A dozen newbies: OMG I just deleted my hearthstone now I have to make a new character!

...To be fair though, I didn't know you could get a new hearthstone for almost a year, until after the GrizzlyPete+Lok'Delar incident..

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mirsha posted:

Of course the admin took it a step further by adding in a system whereby for every line of chat the player said on the global chat it reduced his damage further until he logged off. This was of course completely hilarious as every time he complained about his damage, it got worse.
HolyshitholyShitHolyShitholyshit! That was pretty good, but when I got to this point I choked Diet Coke out my nose.

True genius!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

honeymustard posted:

He kept trying to kick me, and usually the other two would vote no, but when they did, I'd just join again (you can get the server from the history tab in the server browser). We got through the entire campaign in the end without him ragequitting, which was quite an achievement.
At least on XBox, it's pretty much impossible to votekick someone who rejoins the room, before they are able to teamkill or at least badly wound someone. Good reason to not gently caress with people in Expert unless you really don't want to finish. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So in knocking weapons off the table in L4D, can you keep hitting them out of the way?
It would be insanely funny to hide all the autoshotties and assault rifles and force their team to only take hunting rifles, if the director wouldn't just keep spawning more and more guns as they go. ;)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Khounur posted:

I have no real life and pretend to make friends on the internet and betray them. Also I can't tell a good story.
Fixed that for ya, slugger..

Do you have any idea how many hours and days of playtime it would take to infiltrate a high level guild in WoW? Sounds more like dude's got a personality disorder than mad "spymastering" skills. :rolleyes:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

OrangeSoda posted:

At this point, he raises a big stink in OOC about how we're all horrible players and greifers, then decides this is the PERFECT moment to surprise us all with him being a furry.
This is the funniest non sequitor I can recall seeing in a very long time. :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tostito posted:

That is the most amazing loving poo poo ever. I haven't played CS:S in a few months...what the hell is this dynamic pricing thing?
The more players buy a weapon, the more it's "supply" does down and "demand" goes up thus it costs more, so logically it would be the most fun to have this occur within the game as well, so that the weaker players can't afford to use popular weapons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spiffo posted:

It encourages people to include some variety in the weapons and items they use and that made people very mad because that means they can't use the deagle.
It punishes stragglers and weaker players by removing some of their better options and leaving them with sub-par weaponry, which increases the disparity between haves and have-nots. Do you believe in anarchic Communism or any other utopian ideals as well? :laugh:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Orgophlax posted:

Might've been posted in the thread already, but this is still my favorite griefing video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckoYQqdk28

I GOT BALLS OF STEEL!
What the gently caress, Kontraband branded the ventriloharassment guy's videos? That's almost as weak as the dude who stole the "spiders on drugs" video and sold it to ebaumsworld. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

m2pt5 posted:

This video is hilarious in a meta sort of way. Using the recording of someone getting griefed to grief other people is brilliant.
Ventriloharassment is pretty well known for doing this, they started the "4 strength 4 stam leather belt UHHHH!!" meme that was on wow for ages.

The whole "WOW nerd" series is really hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIVTT4fgPQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzXsS6oePd4 (NSFW audio)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks6ubQzfasQ

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Pfhreak posted:

I laughed so hard I cried on that second one.
There's an entire website, they're mostly just as funny.
http://www.ventriloharassment.org/81-90.htm

It was probably even posted in this thread earlier. v:)v

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"Who ees your daddy and vot does he do?"

My personal favorite ventriloharassment ones are the Governator harassment clips, where they string the Arnold clips together to have a full conversation with some random kid in a vent channel while gradually becoming more and more abusive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Code Jockey posted:

I'd love to hear more D&D griefs if anyone has them.
I'll start with the synopsis of my pen&paper career: Thieves + rats. I've lost something like 15 different rogue-class characters over 4 or 5 different P&P worlds through dungeons and dragons editions to cyberpunk and shadowrun to Rol(l)master.. Die at level 1 to a rat? sure. Die at level 9 to a rat while using a spiderclimbing item, when the rat comes out of a hole in the wall on an extraordinary check from the DM, and I plummet 80 feet to my death? check. Bit by a rat and die of disease/poison? check. Fail a riding check when vermin scuttle under my horse? check. Giant rat? splat! In fact the only successful thief I ever had, I created with the express intent of him being deathly afraid of rodents - he went on to fame and fortune and never once saw a pair of beady eyes in his adventures no matter how badly the DM tried. :D

I almost always play a thief type, which has led to any number of funny "griefs" during game sessions on players as a good DM has no problem with a bit of pranking and pickpocketing.

-As I'm always the thief, I'm always the guy who opens chests. Duh. Hey DM, mind if I do a sleight-of-hand check? "Hey guys, looks like there wasn't that much.." This is pretty much my primary order of business: any time there is anything of value, my thieves MUST try and pocket it. Bonus points if it turns out to trigger a booby trap, and nobody knows how/why I set it off since they didn't see the little golden idol.. Sometimes I've failed and the group got wise to my ways, but since I was the only person who could open the stuff anyway, they just sighed and did nothing until such time as they decided to shake me down for healing potions and wands. :D

-Steal an obnoxious party member's potions and replace them with duds (bonus for drinking his potions during a fight he's helping with, or even more for hollernig "HERE USE MINE!" and saving the day when his potion fails,) experiment with exotic but non-lethal poisons on a party members' food and drink, rifle through their secret inventories without their knowledge, and then tell them to use items in combat which they'd believed to be a secret.

-And of course, generally trying to rob every NPC we come across, even if I'm VERY aware that it could gently caress up the entire adventure.

What do you mean, a Non-Lawful Monk?!
My all-time best grief though was for a DM: I'd moved to a new town and was craving a gaming session so I found a bulltin board posting for a game, which ended up being run by this gay, neckbearded 50 year old who lived with his mom.. The guy wasn't a terrible DM though and the group were entertaining guys so i hung aruond, but I noticed that the DM was a bit of an animu and tended to toss in a gratuitous, overpowered young girl NPC who was indesctructible and a major part of the plot, etc.. So after my thief died (to a giant bat, which is, after all, a winged rat,) I found the Monk sourcebook, and decided I wanted to try one because I'd never run a monk before... So I found the "Reef Pirate" monk subclass - this was important because I didn't want to be a "Lawful" monk, and this class could be played as any Evil Alignment, which is unique for a monk. So I of course immediately chose Neutral Evil.

Thus the idea was born: Som Gi Yo, the archetypal cheap kungfu movie martial arts bad-guy. We'd come across a commoner with a broken cartwheel, I'd walk up, speak in my worst dubbed voie-cover "You there! Do you believe you are man enough to defeat me!?" and then I'd kick the poo poo out of him. Or not, I was after all, only level 3 and monks are weak as a kitten at low levels.. So the party invariably ended up fighting off every tavern, village, wandering group of rangers or peasants, in fact - essentially anybody who was not immediately and very obviously superior to my fighting skills was fair game for my "bullying." Since half of our party were demi-humans and we were in a low magic setting, this meant that I'd pick a fight, and then the half-orcs and elves and gnomes ended up running from a lynch mob more times than I could count! :jihad:

This got the DM more and more angry: he'd spend all week carefully drawing a map of the loving hidden ninja village from Naruto for us to visit and doa quest, and I'd pick a fight, get the entire party chased out of town, and ruin the campaign idea (which, to be fair, myself and the other players had previously discussed as being the epitome of gay, since the DM kept spending so much time on a map of a place we didn't want to go, that there was sometimes nothing else to do.)

This character was a blast to play, he was always terrible in combat but managed to save the day a few times due to his extremely high Swim skill since, after all, he was raised on a boat. I picked fights with everything from captains of the guard to tavern girls to retarded stableboys, and the weaker they were and the more I could rub their face in a nearby mud/dungheap the better, Som Gi was indeed happiest when he could prove his "most superior skills of combat" or "my insurmountable strength!" on the weakest person in sight.

Eventually I showed up for the weekly session after having missed a week, to find out that the DM had taken over my character in a random encounter and picked a fight with some warrior who was decked out with glowing whoopdees and whatsits and I'd been eviscerated pretty instantly since I was still only level 4. The other guys in the group had been pretty pissed but were too wuss to call the DM out, so instead the quit the game with me the next week, mostly out of the annoyance of exploring anime shows when we had wanted to loot and pillage.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 7, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

chairface posted:

Grief-reversing in PnP Mechwarrior 3rd ed: bein' fat
This is outrageously great, it reminds me of a character I had in a fun Cyberpunk campaign - we ended up staking out places an awful lot during this detective caper we were in the middle of, and since we accrued skill points each session in whatever skill we did, my dealer(fixer? whatever that class was called) and the rastafarian solo took to disguising ourselves as stoners (I mean, he was a rasta and I was a drug dealer, so it wasn't very hard to come up with the disguise) and played hacky-sack while we were on stakeout. We both ended up with outrageously high Sports - Hacky Sack skills aver the course of a couple semesters, although we never got a chance to kick a grenade at an enemy or something else cool. :saddowns:

The DM for a Shadowrun campaign I was in griefed our party pretty bad - our antagonist sent a flower-selling girl with a basket of grenades who killed us all, while we were having a meeting in a romantic italian restaurant. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chomp8645 posted:

I've heard this argument a million times and all it does is remind of the morons who go to see the latest terrible movie just for the hot chick in it.
I have certainly choesn a female charactre from time to time because I thought she'd look better from behind, however I mainly choose the female character because in some games I've played they do get advantages which fit my playstyle, and occasionally they even have a smaller hitbox, such as in the original Tribes.

When I was a little kid MUDding I learned from observation, that female characters got free poo poo and help way more than males, so I would often make a female character to beg. After a while it got to be a hassle to transfer poo poo from my beggar to my other characters, so I would just stick with the female character and play it. In WOW I rerolled a level 50 hunter decked out in purples to a female, in large part because I couldn't stand the posture of my male troll, or frankly most of the male Horde-side character models in WOW, either.

In Virtual On I prefer to play as Fei-Yen, which is a giant pick robot dressed like Sailor Moon. Not much of an rear end to look at and nobody thinks I'm a female for choosing it, though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 9, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^^ Has anyone besides me played Rolemaster? The great thing about that system (besides open-ended critical rolls and skill bonuses,) is that certain dice rolls are gauranteed to cause weird poo poo to happen, on top of successes and failures all being potentially open-ended.

If you roll eleventy-one (111) in Rolemaster, it's always a critical success, far far better than rolling 100 and getting to roll again and add the total together. Also there is uhh, I think 66, which is a gauranteed bizarre occurrence.. Climbing a wall with a spiderclimb item that requires 3-point contact with the surface in question? Roll a 66 and a rat comes out of a handhold, goes up your sleeve, into your shirt and pants, causing you to fall 75 feet onto solid carved rock floor. :D

...I'm not positive if this was a set part of the loremaster rules or something our GM had come up with, but 111 and 66 were always interesting outcomes on the roll charts.

Ledneh posted:

Having never played a tabletop game I may be approaching this from the wrong direction, but why would a DM get mad about the players going an unintended route? Isn't being able to improvise and loosen up the story framework the whole point of being a DM? (hell, to me it sounds like goodtimes. "Oh you want to improvise Mr. Illusionist? Very well... let's improvise. :hehe:")
There is a (probably substantial) subset of Game Masters who can only stand letting the game be played their way, having puzzles be solved their way, and every encounter must go according to whatever the GM has already imagined will take place.

As anyone who's played a tabletop rpg or strategy game knows, it's easier to herd cats. I tried GMing and I simply couldn't think fast enough on my feet to come up with new stuff; sometimes it really can be frustrating to get a whole adventure planned, map out dungeons and monsters and treasure, figure out a premise to get everyone to the entrance of the dungeon...

Then someone goes, "Hey look, a rare butterfly!" And suddenly some completely asinine plan comes out of groupthink, and before you know it the entire party is off chasing bugs to sell to alchemists or some poo poo.

I'm totally a griefable DM, that's why I don't run campaigns. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 9, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Xinlum posted:

Minor griefing, but god that was a horrible experience. Hadn't these people ever heard of a shower? I think me and my friend were the only sane people.
Wow, sounds like you found the D&D game run by the local goth crowd.. Those are always bad, usually they just fap over vampire poo poo and try to get themselves cursed with something powerful.

This is why they make audio collaboration software, so people can P&P online and not have to see the fat pathetic slobs they are mirrored as.

Delamore posted:

This thread has made me really want to play D&D, does anyone ever do online newbie D&D groups?
I have been tempted lately to join the Gamers With Jobs podcast' P&P game, they have a forum with a lot of older, more established (as humans) players, and I'm sure they'll be friendlier to a rusty player or newbie than goons might be. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 10, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
While hilarious, I'd probably give up or hash it out right there. They don't sound the kind to deal with a normal human conversation and compromise - you basically joined HellMOO or YCS is what it sounds like, and even most of those people have the common decency to keep that poo poo in check IRL.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nazi Zombies posted:

Have any of you actually played any soundboard pranks in the past? How did you set it up?
Half of the COD4 goons who play on xbox360 use a Trash Talker.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MelonDude posted:

Yeah that guy had a guest account so I was pretty uncaring about banning him for kicking my rear end
glad we got that straightened out, I was totally on the edge of my seat.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

UglykitteN posted:

My real griefing came when I rolled an Undead Mage and FINALLY hit the level cap (I hadn't done so by that time...still vanilla WoW, I think a month after AQ opened). The most fun I ever had was killing the Defias Traitor on his death march. After a few kills, the call would go out and level capped guildies would come to the rescue. It never really worked. I could spawn long enough to one shot the traitor before getting destroyed. The best ratio I remember was something like 12 v 1.
I used to do pretty much the same thing, I'd roll up a hunter on a spanking-new server, go to the defias traitor spawn, stand back, and tab-select him and tap him with my ranged attacks because they were instant hits. I'd make a game of offering to group people, and then stealing the kill from anyone who didn't join me. I spent a few hours doing this one day, some people get a mental block in MMOs about proper quest progression, and they just just can't get the fact that sometimes it's easier to just cut and run.. So I had like 20 or more people (too close together to even count them) really pissed at me, some of them literally standing there trying to tap the quest mob for over an hour. One genius started up a raid party even, on the theory that "40 people can hit the mob faster than that douchebag Isaldren can."

So I let them take the kill that time. But not the time after.

raids don't give quest credit for lowbie quests :laugh:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 17, 2009

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Goky posted:

The character still has a bit of a legacy apparently due to the roleplaying that I would do (the bear was a very innocent 8 year old who was afraid of everything and the sorc was his older brother named Chad than beat up the 8 year and forced him to do mean things. Some of the banter was classic). I haven't played Diablo 2 in about three years, but some people that I keep in touch with tell me that knock-off "hipii's" name "hippy" or "hipeee" show up monthly or so in low level dueling circles. Apparently they don't really get the point and they sort of suck. :(
Or, you may just not be the only person to ever name a druid "hippy" in a video game.

I like your style of twinking, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

CaptainScraps posted:

These things are loving garbage, the sound quality is poo poo and they end up annoying the teammates you play with rather than the enemy who just mutes you.
Funny, that's exactly what I said to you guys like, 6 or 7 months ago.

HORSE RAPER posted:

Haha, I never thought of this. I'm going to share this one with a couple of my friends. Bonus points for quoting terrible engrish from old kung fu movies or wuxia flicks.
C4 is fun as gently caress when you get good at it, too. Pubbies will start accusing you of cheating when you toss a C4 through an upper story window and kill 3 or 4 guys with it, after you already stabbed them all to death a few times. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Code Jockey posted:

And what is good creative griefing

do tell
How about this, from earlier in the thread?

We talked about this exact same topic at length, exactly one year ago. It boiled down to two things:
-"If it's funny to someone who never played the game, that's a fair indicator of a pretty 'Good Grief.'"
-If it's creative and mildly funny.

To wit:
One of my favorites
Shameless self-plug.
See? You don't even have to have ever played either of those games to be entertained by the stories. "Hay guyz I just went to a random server and used that thing and it totally worked ha!" is both a lame post (for this particular thread) and it perpetuates the idea that script-kiddies are griefers.

... Maybe it's just an indicator of the time of the year - Little Billy got off school for the summer and he's been playing games for a couple weeks and is back from vacation but he's bored, so he goes to youtube and types "counterstrike cheatz" and then copies it for a few nights.

As was said a year ago, "Come on guys, you can do better."

• Locked thread