Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A long time ago in World of Warcraft, Warriors used to be able to survive any fall in the game just by being in Defensive stance and 100% health.

You could jump off any cliff and land and live where rogue's wouldn't (they could survive falling longer distances than anyone). Admittedly Mages could blink before they landed, paladins could bubble, but height could be pretty much fatal to rogue's, druid's, other warriors who didn't think fast, hunters etc

Knowing this, my favourite griefing method ever was to invite same faction players to duel me specifically in Winterspring on the bridge that spanned over the Ice Giant pit leading to the Whispering Gorge. Next was to equip a Gnomish Mind Control Cap (helm graphics off) just as the duel timer is ticking down, this meant you'd need Engineering. Lastly, you MC the person and jump off the bridge with them while in defensive stance and break the MC as they follow you off the bridge. I used to do this a lot as a protection specced warrior, while I was limited to doing it every 30 minutes as per the cooldown on the cap, very few players could resist the challenge of dueling a prot specced warrior for gold on the winterspring bridge thinking it was easy money. When I landed, I'd use a tuber and a swiftness potion so I could escape the elites safely, being protection specced and in tank gear facilitated this a lot, while the other dude had to res with low health in an area that afforded next to no aggro spots to safely hearth out from or eat/drink & mount up from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Anchors posted:

Later on, when The Gurubashi treasure drop was implemented, I found my new favorite pastime, "Defend the Chest" Everyone wanted the precious loot that lay dormant within the chest, so naturally I did everything I possibly could to keep anyone from opening the mystery chest. Several times the chest would simply despawn on it's own or the event would start over again and force a new chest every 3 hours. I eventually became known as "That douchebag from the arena." Which I must admit is a nice change from "That loser from the forums."

The best was taking a good group, getting the chest early and taking everything but a mana potion and then going back into the fray, especially good for catching out groups who arrived slightly late. Watching the satisfied victor finding out his reward is just a mana potion is griefing at it's best.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Howard Beale posted:

Who doesn't do this with regular chests? (Enjoy your Dalaran Sharp!)

Regular chests despawn after they have been opened regardless of if you take anything or not, just takes a couple of minutes, the Gurubashi one doesn't if you leave something inside.

Bazanga posted:

Just recently I reactivated my WoW account. After playing for 5 minutes and realizing why I had canceled in the first place, I headed over to Sunwell Plateau. I unequipped all of my gear (to avoid the repair damage associated with my little scheme) and proceeded to attack any nearby Alliance hunters in town. If they were bad, as the majority of WoW players are, they would have their pets on defensive mode. What this means is that as soon as I take a swing at the hunter, the pet immediately starts attacking me. Because of Blizzard's silly PvP punishment system, we both get massacred by town guards and take repair damage because of it.

This sounds lame, but when you pull it off on a Hunter in the best gear in the game they end up taking quite a big gold hit it's fairly rewarding. It's especially hilarious if, after doing it once, they leave their pets on defensive mode.

This was a lot easier as a warrior as taunt would not put you in combat, just taunt the pet and if it is on defensive you've hit the jackpot.

Outrespective fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 1, 2008

• Locked thread