Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I don't like the kind of griefing where it's just team killing or stepping on your team's landmines in ET etc. But the really creative, big stuff, the kind of stuff you hear people setting up in WoW and Second Life, is fantastic. Personally, the closest I've come to griefing is spawn camping. In ET spawn rooms aren't closed off areas- they're open rooms. Newly spawned characters are protected by a couple seconds of invincibility when they spawn that goes away if they shoot before it wears off. There's a map named Goldrush in which the Allies have to guide a tank through a middle eastern tank to a bank, the tank blows up the bank doors, then they steal the Nazi gold inside and flee in a pickup. The Axis spawn near the bank is in a back alley but has an opened roof- Allies could shell with area continuously with mortars or, if they were particularly devious, plant a field op nearby. The Axis spawn had a balcony overtop it reached through a crawlspace within their spawn, and a field op up there was pretty invulnerable unless the axis survived long enough to go up to the balcony. The field ops have cannisters of signal gas that call in air strikes. Good field ops would get up to the balcony between spawns, camp for a while and watch the axis spawn timers... then start signaling air strikes at just the right time so the bombs would be hitting the Axis spawn just as the new spawn invincibility would wear off. I've seen Ally field ops kill entire teams all at once dozens of respawns in a row like this, because the area's small enough that one bomb can get them all, but big enough that they can't get to nearby cover until it's too late, unless they're lucky enough to spawn at the far outer edge of the spawn area and flee to the nearest alley. :laugh:

The worst griefing type activity I've done personally was entirely accidental- the first time I played Battlefield 1942 I was on dial up, and fairly new. I joined a random server with people playing, with just a hair under 200 ping. My entire team, essentially, were in airplanes flying over the enemy base. I was doing my best, trying to bomb the enemy, flying around, taking pointers from the friendly teamates... and crashed head first, in midair, into a teamate who happened to be the server admin. I didn't stop laughing for at least ten minutes after I was kicked and banned from the server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Mniot posted:

EVE gave me some good times to remember, griefing with Goonfleet. Too bad it was so boring most of the time.

I found this link to someone else's story. It's less a grief and more a scam, but it's quite well-written (and long). The guy gives step-by-step details of everything that went into planning and executing a very good Ponzi scheme:

Currin Trading
:aaaaa:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060828-7605.html

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Isko posted:

We should really consider turning Team Flare into a general greifing group and mix it up a little and get more creative. That is if we don't already have something like this. We could do things like all going melee as one class or seeing how long we can make it look like were playing without firing a single shot. Stuff that's more subtle and less likely to get us outright banned.
If it was this I'd join. As it is, I think Team Flare stands a high chance of attracting negative attention from our benevolent Valve overlords for killing servers.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

The flare thing will probably be patched any day now.
By monday at the latest, most assuredly.
I have an ulterior motive for not joining in on the flare spamming, though- my computer's just over TF2's minimum requirements, I wouldn't last thirty seconds before my rig exploded.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

YancyDCjew posted:

The original story's epilogue was talking about this guy. It's funny, the guy running the bank could have done it legit if people in EVE took out loans to finance ships (I have no idea if this is the case), but instead he scammed the gently caress out of people, and it's completely within the rules. Awesome.
I had the same idea about the author's tale- I woulda, eventually, took it legit after gaining the capital, making Currin Trading into a real trading corp. Nobody ever knew they got scammed, but their money was used to create the biggest and most profitable legit corp in the game. Of course, the guy's goal was specifically to pull off that >20 bil heist.
Kinda depressing though that despite CT exposing Cally's Bank, Cally got away with it scott free, and with FAR MORE than CT ever guessed. He was saying something like 100 bil, plus assets. It turned out to be over 780 billion isk. The first thing I did after finishing reading the story was to google "Eve Intergalactic Bank", looking for closure, and that's what came up.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, that voogru guy is a dick.
I'd say he's pretty goddamn justified, really. Grief all you want but don't start complaining and acting just like the people you're targeting when you get a response from someone with power. That's the way it works, and the best griefers know when to pull out and avoid getting banned for their efforts so they can return again. King of No Pants should've known better than do it on a server he frequented under his normal name where people would recognize him.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

No, I saw that. I was referring to how he's a dick to the guy who only wanted to try it out then stopped after a couple minutes.

EDIT: Oh wait I missed the part where it says No Pants is a goon.
As has already been documented in this thread, a single minute of it is enough to bring an 8800 to its knees when they're all onscreen.

king of no pants posted:

Yep, I'm new to this whole "Don't be a dumbass on the internet" deal.
So are you really gonna shell out $50 bribe to get unbanned? :v: Because that would count as reverse griefing on that admin's part. Also an :owned:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Shatai posted:

I've made a little discovery. "changelevel mapname;quit" causes the server to shut down. With a little more work, we'll be noclipping and godmoding ourselves (though I'm pretty sure this trick is limited to one word commands).
And what would be remotely funny or worthwhile about outright shutting down a server

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Stalgren posted:

Man all these UO stories are making me miss that game awfully bad. I tried playing it again recently and it just wasn't nearly as much fun with all the bright multicolored armor and weapons and new rare artifacts to raid for now.

Anyway to contribute,

In City of Heroes pvp zones there are stationary drones guarding both the hero and villain spawn points that will instantly kill anyone who gets too close. One of the powers you can get in the game is Teleport Foe, so me and a friend made costumes of guys in pink spandex with afros and would teleport anyone who got too close into our base where they would be instantly vaporized. I never saw so many hate messages before in my life. It was also really easy to run out and they would like all pile on trying to kill us since they hated us so much and we would just run back to base before they realized what was going on and they would be teleported into the drones again. The best part is they never seemed to learn and just kept doing it and swearing at us
That sounds like a ridiculously obvious power with no use outside griefing. One must wonder why it was even there. Was it ever cut or anything, or was that kind of insta-kill tactic intended by the devs? I can't imagine it would be.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I tried out the WoW trial this morning. Started a new character, watched the useless cinematic, did the quests in the starting area.

There was no griefing, almost no stupid behavior, almost no chat spam. People were actually helping one another at no gain to their own, casting buffing spells, casting one off attack spells to weaken monsters for other characters to finish off, etc. I tested with my own "heal target" spell to see if you gained XP or something for it, some ulterior motive, but nope.

Strange stuff. Maybe it's because these were new characters, not yet jaded by the dark waters of the internet yet.
It seems you can't even kill steal. Whomever was actively engaged with the monster the longest/did most damage/something gets the XP and loot rights to it, no matter who finishes it. I had monsters killed for me once or twice to no effect by other people.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Sluggz posted:

The only way to grief in a FPS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtqKoMjcLo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DWLq2RfOc

Most of the good aimbot hacks cost money, mostly to maintain a level of undetection. public ones get detected very quickly. Everyone accuses everyone else of hacking anyway, so why not. Most of them have variable settings, from barely noticeable, to wiping out the other team in seconds with headshots.

Well worth the price of admission.
That's not griefing, that's hardly the "only way to grief in a FPS" and you suck.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Bumping freighters with your frigate so they keep bouncing out of alignment and can't jump anywhere can be funny. The only way to grief in EVE was PvP though. Well, not the ONLY way, but the best way.
I liked the stuff posted of getting big powerful ships to open fire on your little starter ship, getting them destroyed by NPC security, and looting what was left after they blew up. Are there still ways to do things like that?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Jesus these are some of the stupidest threads on the internet

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

See, this is why I wished CoD4 used VAC on their retail edition somehow instead of using PunkBuster while hooked up to Steam. I've only run into an aimbot on a non-PB server, but supposedly they're a real problem and all Punkbuster did was kick me from games until I set it up manually... several times.
Punkbuster is just about the worst anti-cheat ever. I had to manually update the Punkbuster files via the loving console, which took over an hour to slowly download everything it wanted then decompile it then convert it all to a different file type then copy it etc etc for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory to get it working again after stopping playing for a few months. It was loving ridiculous.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

You're a humongous human being. Cheating or using external programs is not funny. Griefing is about using the game mechanics already in the game.
It IS griefing, it's just in no way entertaining griefing, or entertaining griefing to hear stories about. Using a cheat or aimbot is the opposite of skill or creativity, and the really entertaining griefing stories are all about skill and creativity.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

We followed some furries around for a while calling them "the worst pokemon we'd ever seen"
:lol:

I'm tempted to join you all in SL but the last time I tried it I got around 5 FPS, everything looked lovely, and from the sounds of it goons are of course making it even worse.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I AM ERROR posted:

I know this isn't truly griefing in the way that crashing a server with flares is griefing, but it was messing around with pubbies, so I guess that is griefing in a way. Besides, I found the stories interesting, and hopefully others will too. If there's intrest, I have a few more stories including democrat shenanigans, zombie invasions and breaking elevators.
It sounds less like you griefing them and more like their admins ruining your fun time. :(

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Thunder Malloy posted:

The Halo 3 Plasma Pistol is probably the best griefing weapon ever. For anyone unfamiliar, it's basically impossible to kill anybody with it, but you can make people vulnerable to a one-shot death from pretty much any other weapon. On top of that, if you shoot a vehicle, it takes down all of the riders' shields and disables the vehicle for a good 3 - 4 seconds. And you can just keep on doing this until you run out of ammo.

It's so simple, yet it infuriates people. And every once in a while, something grand happens like it did last night when I was doing this:

http://www.gamevee.com/viewVideo/Halo_3/GeeVee/Minor_H3_Griefing/398836
So good an ending I'm tempted to suspect it was staged. :D

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I found the reactions to be fairly subdued, but still entertaining, to play medic on random servers and refuse to heal people... most of the time.
I played three rounds on a server, not healing a single point. People would comment in text chat, and follow me around for a few seconds spamming Medic!, but quickly give up.
Then, on the forth round, I charged an uber during setup, and before the round began ubered a disguised spy on my team as he was about to run out the gate. :laugh:
Spy: Hey, wat are you doing
Spy: get off me
Spy: Stop it
It stopped about two seconds after the round began, he hung around the corner inside the gate about 10 before remembering a medic can't heal you when you're cloaked and fleeing from me.

On a related note, dominating people with needles is right up there with bullshit sniper kills to inspire ragequits. :v: Nothing like killing a heavy or soldier with the blutsauger then see them leave the server a couple seconds later.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious that people get so bent out of shape due to others not "roleplaying" properly in loving Team Fortress.

Does this work better in big or small servers? I imagine bigger servers, it'd be easy to "lose" one misbehaving medic in a crowd.
It's a lot easier to fight against lone opponents than groups-a smaller player count improves your performance. For reaction of your own team, the bigger the team the less griefing you'll actually do- unless you end up the one medic out of a team of 16, which is likely on a pub. :v: The smaller the team though, the more likely you'll be the only medic.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Triggs posted:

I was on a pubbie server the other night and I saw a guy do the Scout's pulse-rate taunt and continue running around at the same time, but how he did it I have no idea.
There was a trick to keep moving as you taunt by moving off a ledge or drop or jumping at just the right split second as you start a taunt, so momentum carries you forward. I thought that was patched out back when the Pyro update hit though.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

I like to play numbers stations at them.
Ooh, that's a good one, I've gotta try it. I've got about two dozen sound samples of those on my computer.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Crime on a Dime posted:

more here too, http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/
The Conet Project is exactly what I've got, except I got them from archive.org, which only had the first disc. Thanks!

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

People get SERIOUSLY upset about numbers stations. They just seem to strike a TERROR chord in the soul. I've had people practically crying over the mic asking me to turn it off, people claiming they were getting physically ill - they turn into absolute pussies when little girls start chanting numbers over music-box tunes, go figure.
It's a pretty unnerving sound. The whole reason I had them on my computer is I was planning on making a small horror Source mod with them- opening on just the sample you described, with a black screen, slowly fading in to find the player lying in a pool of blood in a bomb shelter, and going from there.
I'd probably be done with it by now if my video card hadn't died. :saddowns:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

HORSE RAPER posted:

It was also fun playing as Chaplain, persuading the Captain to implement a security-enforced mandatory mass, and then rambling for five minutes straight about the sanctity of marriage and corrupt social mores before finally saying, "oh, look! It's the rapture!" and detonating a bomb, obliterating the chapel and everyone in it.
:laffo:
Only griefing I've done lately is convincing my brother to buy The Path, telling him it was the best game I've played in months.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

MelonDude posted:

Yeah that guy had a guest account so I was pretty uncaring about banning him for being a douche. Figured it was some idiot pubbie.
I've never played SS13, is that really being a douche? Because it sounds more like an unarmed guy managed to legitimately kill you and a friend and that bothered you. :3:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Getting someone's Live account banned is a "Grief" like calling the cops on someone and accusing them of a crime is a "prank". You're doing something malicious to somebody, sure, but I like to think the terms mean something a bit more specific and less... Scumbag-esque.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

McNerd posted:

Wow, no kidding. Good info. Though I don't suppose I would ever have gotten in trouble.

"Eeny meeny miney moe" is the dangerous one. I didn't learn it was racist until I was 20, and I still say it without thinking sometimes. I live in absolute terror that one day I will get my rear end beat for this.
Eeny meeny miney moe isn't racist. Racists have replaced the "tiger" in the rhyme at some point, but the original phrase has nothing to do with race or anything like that. The words are bastardization of celtic/cornish counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Reverend Dr posted:

Vent Banning Plays in with the /report system. Get in a pug, join their vent server (even the terrible groups play on vent, it really is mandatory), cause commotion on their vent server (many options here), get them to yell at you in game. Never acknowledge any of that in game, or even that you were in vent, but keep egging them on in vent. Put them on ignore, and let them get their friends to yell at you. Eventually report them and get others in your guild to report them and they will get banned for their yelling and swearing in game.

Before the GBS morality squad that found this game start yelling at me for being a super dick and crossing the line, I have been doing as much as an end player to get this system removed in the first place. GW doesn't have an official forum, but the largest other website (which the devs do follow) I have regularly posted all of the abuses of the /report system. I have posted them for over a year. Exactly what I have done here. People still call me out and say that I'm just a griefer (oh no, not *just*) that is being curbed by the current system and want it gone for personal reasons, they tell me that I obviously didn't do this as abusing the report system would result in a ban and just generally don't believe me when I say that I haven't been caught by this system that I regularly abuse.
This isn't on the same level as that other ban story, because you aren't getting a dude banned through no fault of his own, in a method where you don't see any reaction at all, you're just instigating a shitstorm and those who choose to participate get penalized for it. It's like those "get someone to TK you and use that to your advantage" griefs, except the GMs in an MMO are less forgiving than an online FPS server mod. :v:

• Locked thread