Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

IF A ROBOT IS BUILT IN THE FORM OF HUMAN BEINGS IT IS HARAAM

Jer posted:

hell no

I still don't think anybody has made the connection, dude.

(I'm just going to wait until somebody does; it's funnier that way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Jesus Horse posted:

Its only a game.

That story is kinda :smith: regardless.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, can other players actually tell your IP address? Linden isn't <i>that</i> stupid, are they?

Sounds like a scare tactic. Besides, there are always ways to get around bans in games.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

ThatOneGuy posted:

Are we making the sermon short or what? Slightly limited to people that are/were Catholic too.

A lot of Protestant churches have liturgy that is similar to the Catholic stuff. I can fake my way through a Catholic mass pretty well.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Mathemagician posted:

Not the greatest grief ever, but still makes me laugh.

It is pretty great, though, because you're not doing anything at all and people get all pissy.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Simiain posted:

I'm still waiting for you lot to grief Islam for me.

Well, I'm an American. Does that count?

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone know of any griefable browser games (e.g. Flash games)? My Internet connection is limited to Uni computers right now and I'm craving pubbie tears.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

m2pt5 posted:

Habbo Hotel is fairly griefable. Especially by blocking paths.

unfortunately they don't have Shockwave installed :(

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

FUKKEN posted:

Team Fortress 2

Usually when someone talks about medics, you picture a special brand of people that actually care about the team winning in various team vs team games (or just screwing around). In this case, you can heal people, charge your special bar which allows you to make other people invulnerable for a few seconds, shoot your "dart gun" or cut people in half with a bonesaw. But you can change your normal saw for an Uber Saw. Every successful hit increases your ubercharge by 25%. Combine the brief invulnerability period with the Uber Saw and you'll have two medics running around with uber charges, cutting off random limbs instead of healing people. They usually laugh at us but some go raving mad. Here's a video I made illustrating that in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2ljYgzsGg

This is a fun tactic; however, it's not really griefing.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

lil bi azn posted:

This is about the only "real life grief" I've read about that's actually funny, I too live in a town where all the bicycle riders are pretty much homeless people and drunk drivers who lost their licenses so their reflexes can't be great, I might have to try this one out.

Yes, trying to cause accidents is hilarious.

(Unless your post here is some "edgy" meta "hurr I'm trolling the trolling thread" bullshit)

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

I read a whole bunch of this thread, but when it got all "post the D&Dest stories u got" I skipped ahead, so this maybe has been discussed already. That said, the greatest game one can grief in is (drumroll please) .....poker. I'll say right away that I'm not the greatest player, but it doesn't take an expert to see that one of the most effective ways to win is to crack other players' psyches as hard as you can. This has the side benefit of being hilarious.

There are many ways one can grief in poker. You can "accidentally" show your hand when you fold. If table talk is allowed, you can try and irritate people at the table (a la Phil Hellmuth). And you can lie.

The best grief I have witnessed while playing poker happened the first time I went to a "real" card club. Playing Texas hold 'em, the hand in question had gotten to the final round of betting, with two players left. Over the course of this hand, the hero of this story had somehow managed to convince the sucker that he (the hero) did not know what was in his hand.

Now at this particular card club, each round of betting is generally capped at four bets. As an example, the initial bet in a $4 round of betting is $4; this can be raised by subsequent players to $8, $12, and finally $16 (the cap). But when there are only two players left in a hand, there is no cap. You can probably see where this is going.

So on this final round of betting, the hero asks the sucker if he'd like to (effectively) go all in. The sucker agrees, and smugly notes how he has the second-best-possible hand anyway. So they take several minutes raising each other four dollars at a time, until the sucker's entire stack is in the middle.

The hero flips over pocket aces, giving him the win.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

HoldYourFire posted:

I hereby declare a moratorium on discussion of this post :colbert:

Oh :(

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

One nice thing about the Smash games is that they are "casual". What I mean by this is that I have often found myself sitting down to play a game with people I barely know (or are at least not part of my regular gaming circle). This presents the old griefing staple: the confused newbie. In my experience, this tactic works well no matter whether the game is serious business or more relaxed. In the former, they shouldn't have invited a newbie anyway; in the latter, you can join in with the laughs.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Hahaha that reminds me of another SL grief picture where someone was a giant mech from MechWarrior barging into an anime school or something and is clipped through the floor and they're yelling at him.

I may have been part of that expedition[1]. If I remember right, it was an anime "lolita" whorehouse :suicide:. Some people dressed up as cops and "arrested" the owners and johns with toys that made them do funny things.

[1] Note to any SL fatties monitoring this thread: I was not a Goon at the time.

clamiam fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 7, 2010

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

fibblins posted:

3. People also like to show off their super cool black and red emo demon costumes so they hold little costume contests under Atlas statue where they line up along the edge of this pedestal raised above a small pool while a judge decides which character looks the best based on how many horns and belts their costume has. I mentioned before players have collision detection so you can only run around them but if you have the power to teleport you can warp to their exact spot, displacing them. Because everyone is lined up at the edge it's really easy to push people off with this method and they all get super pissed when you do it.

Imagine four comic book nerds standing on the edge of a cliff...

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Uncle Fumbles posted:

But what does any of this mean to somebody who has never used second life? Why is this a big deal? These guys were sharing and storing information on people griefing the game? I don't see why there's talk of legal action over this. It all seems so harmless and insular.

Let's start with the basics. Remember that Second Life is a "game" where you can own a virtual plot of land on a big virtual "grid" with all the other players. You can customize an avatar to look however you want, and you can build whatever you want on your virtual lawn. Think of it as an MMO version of Garry's Mod.

That kind of freedom, of course, makes it ripe for griefing. So a bunch of comic book neckbeards took it upon themselves to protect all the furries and Goreans from having to suffer through a bunch of a virtual dongs spawning on their e-lawns (i.e. the only place in their life where they don't feel like abject failures). Thus the Justice League Unlimited was born. Its members dress up as comic book superheroes and volunteer their services protecting other basement-dwellers' pixel estates from the horror of ever getting an e-prank pulled on them.

The problem, of course, is that the type of person who dedicates hours of their life to a volunteer job running around in virtual spandex is that, at best, they have an extreme case of the Captain America Complex. And it appears that the employees of Linden Labs (the company that owns SL) had a pretty close relationship with these whackos.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Now that I think of it, my dad is really good at unintentional griefing. When I go back home to visit him, he'll often walk into a room where my brother or I are playing a game and start asking questions: "What does that do?" "Who's that guy?" "What's happened so far?". I appreciate that he likes spending time with us and just wants to make conversation, but on the other hand he is almost completely gaming-illiterate.

Probably the best example of this is when he tries to make suggestions. "Why don't you try doing X?", he'll say. I then start thinking of what to say in reply, and realize that in order to explain why there's a 99% chance his suggestion wouldn't work, I'd have to explain all the conventions of an entire genre of games to him, the special conventions of the particular game I'm playing, and all the background that's led up to the point I'm playing right now. I usually simply say "OK", or just say nothing at all.

It's especially great when he does this at a critical point in the game :xd:

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Here's the Goonfleet post, for those who care.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

I'm getting into Dungeon Crawl, and I think it's fair to say that roguelikes are really good at griefing the player :mmmhmm:

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

This is kind of a grief I guess:

Although I couldn't find one that matches Youtube's current look.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

SteadfastMeat posted:

"Alright gonna kill some red guys jump jump jump I'm super psyched-Buuuuuuh?"

Nobody better pretend like they haven't done this at least once.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

Chocolate Donuts posted:

How hard would it be realistically to make either a server plugin or a UI mod for TF2 that implemented basically Moonbase Alpha's text to speech?

It's possible: I've seen servers that load up sounds in an embedded IE frame when players type text commands, so I suppose you could do it that way.

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

The only way I can think of to grief in a fighting game, other than using "cheap" moves, is when you're playing someone who thinks they're good because they've kinda figured out how to pull off a couple special moves or combos. This is where you button-mash: you wait til they start making contortions with the joystick/d-pad, then lay into them with simple moves (e.g. heavy attack). This works best when you pick a character that has a powerful or snazzy-looking basic move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam
Mar 4, 2008

dud root posted:

Thanks for the street fighter explanation. Last time I played it didnt have powerups, excessive flashing lights, or Ryu vs Pokemon. I even had SF1 on Atari 1024, where Sagat was the boss!

One last question, is 'whiffed' from SF, or just a generic term? I've never heard it before, also it sounds too much like yiff

Haha, hey guys I'm gonna grief the griefing thread. How original!

• Locked thread