Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That last picture is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doublepost oh god.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, that voogru guy is a dick.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Did you not see the part where a bunch of people from SA started crashing his server

No, I saw that. I was referring to how he's a dick to the guy who only wanted to try it out then stopped after a couple minutes.

EDIT: Oh wait I missed the part where it says No Pants is a goon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You should've asked why he lost to you if he's so good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When you quit playing TF2 you need to have your friend say something before she stops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't play EVE, but hearing the fantastic exploits of goons in it never gets old.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I'm not sure if this used to be different, but griefing in SS13 is getting really really old. Sure, it's fun if it's just a bunch of RPing nerds playing, but the dev station (the good version) is mostly goons. Getting beaten to death is almost guaranteed. We're pretty sick of it. Same with bombs. We love to grief stupid pubbies, but even then, just killing them is boring.

EDIT: Sweet pubbie tears,stupid pubbie quotes.

Holy poo poo I really need to start playing SS13 again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WebDog posted:

Homeworld
Or how hyperspace became so very deadly
One of the cruel tactics to use in Homeworld was hyperspace kamikaze.
When you plotted a jump on the game map you were capable of targeting inside large objects, namely people's motherships.

Your ship would jump, then collide and damage their mothership, all the while being nearly impossible to stop.
Gravity wells only stopped things exiting the jump portal thing, it didn't stop objects hitting other objects.

So poor players were stricken with horror as all they heard was "Hyperspace jump detected" and their mothership loosing a ton of health.

The only way around it was to set your mothership on a patrol loop.

Flight of the harvesters
It wasn't commonly known, but harvesters had hyperspace capabilities.
They also were categorized under "corvette" and thus were able to kamikaze.
A cheap tactic was to send an army of these things into the opposing mothership as they could take a few hits (the same as a frigate) and weren't affected by gravwells.
The only downside was their cost of 650.

I was always a fan of Probe Golf.

For those who have never played Homeworld, probes are, well, probes. They're used to check an area out before moving into position. They're cheap and fast, but the catch is they have little armor, no weapons, and you can only move them once. Now, Homeworld has a feature where you can make any ship self-destruct. Probes have a particularly nice explosive radius. I made it a point to build a handful of probes and shoot them straight at my opponent, who, early in the game, was probably sending waves of fighters out. It wasn't overly effective as it would only blow up a handful of fighters at once, but drat if even the sight of a wayward probe didn't piss everyone off. At one point, I recall people banning it out right and ragequitting if you did it even accidentally.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dilber posted:

I always loved the ACCESS cheat that you could play on newbies. You'd whisper to them that if they typed in ACCESS their mothership would be invincible. In reality, the ACC did nothing, but ESS is select everything, scuttle, scuttle. It would cause them to instantly die.

I wonder how many people fell for that simply because they had no idea what "scuttle" meant. I know I didn't the first time it happened.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phanatic posted:

EVE player pulls off $45,000 worth of grief:

I love EVE so much. I'd never play it myself, but gently caress the stories that come out of it are amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broadside posted:

I cant remember if this ones been posted but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

sweet sweet tears

For the love of God Montresor!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

This being Dark Souls, however, I play with them for a bit, then make it a challenge. I strip naked and equip the Dark Hand, a worthless weapon that does less damage than an easy-to-obtain Drake Sword, and proceed to punch these people to death.

You should try wandering set paths or look like you're guarding something and confuse players into thinking you're a special NPC or something, that's always fun to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RabidWeasel posted:

The guy who did it is an NPC and you get to gloriously murder the gently caress out of him after you progress though the story a little more (which ok might take you quite a lot of time since Sen's Fortress is full of gently caress-you falling deaths).

You can also just kill him beforehand, he's not exactly subtle about what he's going to do.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SS13 originally was, while still insane, much less so. Back when I played engineers had to turn the engines on or there would be no power to the station. The solar arrays had to be tuned. You could mess with the prototype engine and atmospherics. There wasn't any gimmick classes like clowns (except maybe the priest), so the insanity came from the station slowly falling apart to bombs, insane AIs, and the darkness that lurks in the hearts of all men. My favorite thing to do was to play as the AI just so I could watch everything unfold (especially when a traitor AI, so I could vent people into space). And God help you if the engine sprung a leak, because then the entire station would burn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bucketmouse posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize that guy had more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

Nobody skip this. This is what griefing is all about.

For the love of God, Montressor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TGLT posted:

Black Goat of the Woods helps by introducing the corruption cards and the One of the Thousand membership, so you have a risky membership card for the group to consider as well as everyone accumulating neat personal touches. With the gate burst mechanics from Dunwich Horror on combined with the King in Yellow's more punishing terror track, there's a need for multiple people to play defense so it's not just "The Gate Explorer and the Temple of Winning the Game."

The one game mode is the best though. Green-eyed Boy has the potential for one of the players to become a traitor and help the DM win. The players don't know if the card to turn someone traitor has been played. It was my first game of AH, and it happened we ended up one turn from victory. Now Bill has been burned by Arkham Horror before by my brother, who was currently DM. He suspected that one player that wasn't him was the traitor, as all of the type of card that holds the traitor card had been played, he thought. My brother replied that no, there were two more. Trusting my brother, I agreed that the potential that no one was the traitor was there as no one had tried to kill one another, so Bill, and a couple others went to get the plot mcguffin, and use my character, Trashcan Pete and Dog to ferry it to where it needs to go. Right as Bill picks it up, a player reveals he is in fact the traitor, laughs at Bill for being dumb enough to trust the DM, and kills him. As it happens, my brother lied, and he and the traitor were banking on the fact that I had never played the game before and wouldn't myself know exactly how many cards there were like Bill did, so I would inadvertently try to hold things together long enough for the traitor to do his thing, which I did. Bill ended up trying to flip the table and failing, and stormed off, and I was in tears laughing.

Arkham Horror isn't about winning or losing, it's about wonderful moments like those. :allears:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 21, 2013

• Locked thread