Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

This also works in City of Heroes. One of the goons who plays gets reported just for showing up to a costume contest and doing nothing. Literally.

To be fair that's because goons there have spent years building up a reputation as horrible immersion-breaking people who arrive at events for the sole purpose of disrupting them.

Also showing up at what amounts to fashion shows looking like this:

The reports and tears are well-earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

2. The dead branch

This one is extra-fun when you realize that RO monsters can level up. So if you get a sufficiently dangerous monster, you can feed it bodies until it reaches level 99 and becomes even faster, stronger and tougher. Or just let it happen naturally.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well, since we're onto this, let me tell you a story. Back in 2006, one of the City of Heroes goons got bored. Deciding that the current goon servers were momentarily dull, he went to the dedicated RP server (Virtue) and decided to troll the furry community. Thus was born...

THE FURSECUTION AGENTS

The idea was hopped on and soon enough there were dozens of goons in identical suits wandering around the server, finding random furry characters and confronting them about their 'illegal deviant behavior'. Nothing terribly bad, mostly just walking up to them, being vaguely MiB menacing about their chosen fetish, and following them around so they couldn't just walk out of the conversation. There was some good rage to be had.

quote:

fOR ALL THE poo poo rear end COWARD FUSRECTORS

You think that furries should be HATED????? You know whata? YOU ASSHLOES SHOULD Be HATED!! You know what, to evebody that posted on here about hatineg furries, I want your FIRST AND LAST NAMES AND ADDRES!! Ive got news for you cowards, you owe us quiet a bit of moneys. You have:

1. Caused people to QUIT PLAYING THE GAME. I know of at least one that caneceled her account and one that will not login until (he said) "the people that picked all on me are gone"
2. You have CAUSED PEOPEL TO sign OUT OF PLAYING. You nmaed them so upset that they were unable to contine playing that day
3. You have CAUSE EMOTIONSAL DISTRESS TO ALL. You are full of vile and disgusting acts and maeke the game not worth it. You casue distress and we can sue.
4. You are full of hate crimes and terrorist thoughts. They only awnant to bully and give people shits and your are cowards for that.

I watn your contact info becuse IM COMEING TO COLLECT. By my accounts you owe us right now several hundres of dollars JUST FOR GAME DOWNTIME.

Heres a list of loving ILLEGSL poo poo YOU COWRADS DID:
1. HAte crime agasint another race of people
2. In game TERRORISM you loving COWARDS
3. ROBBERY OF PEOPLES INGAME TIME
4. HARASSMENT OF PEOPLE
5. DEATH THRESTS OF PEOPLE

IVE GOT NEWS FOR YOU ASSHOLES YOULL BE IN loving PRISON WHEN I SHOW THESE TO A LAW ENFORCEMNT AND IVE GOT NEWS THAT NCSOFT HAS YOUR STUPID ASSES ON RECORDING AND CAN ENTER THAT IN loving CUORT YOU ASSHOLES.

When I get to your houses I am going to phisicly unplug and PISS ON YOUR COMPUTERS. Ive got news for you if you dont pay up well get lawyers and youll pay out the asss. Ive got news for you assholes Ive got SCREENSHOTS OF THE poo poo YOU DID TO ME AND OTHERS IN THE GAEM. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO SHOW YOUR KIDS AND WIFES AND YOUR BOSS TO. IVE GOT NEWS FOR YOU IF YOUR BOSS SEESFROM THOSE WHAT KIND OF SHITHEAD YOU ARE YOURE rear end IS FIRED!!!! ILL LUAGH AT YOUR BUM rear end IN THE GUTTER AND YOU WONT BE A loving "FURESECTOR" ANY MORE CAUSE YOULL BE loving HOMELESS YOU loving PIECE OF rear end poo poo.

And that was fun. But then people noticed it was December. Now, part of the City of Heroes thing is their holiday events. This was early on in the game's life, so they were a big deal. As part of the Christmas/Winter event, the devs opened up a wonderful place called the Ski Chalet.

There's a neutral place on the grid called Pocket D - it's a rather generic dance club that's abandoned on most servers. Not on Virtue. Oh no. There, it's packed as the central RP meeting ground and your go-to place for people standing in corners quietly having creepy text-sex in private chats. The Ski Chalet was an expansion to this with an icy ski slope and a big Swiss chalet building in the middle of it all. Super popular with the RP crowd - and that year one of the bigger forum superstars was holding a huge full-RP holiday party there.

Well, you damned well know the Fursecutors had to show up. And they did. More than two dozen of them in one room. And here's the best part - they did nothing. As a group they basically just stood around and emoted drinking eggnog. Nothing was said out of character. In fact, the entire group was very strictly in RP mode all night.

Unfortunately the hilarious screenshots from that night have been lost to time but the local RP community took such offense at them that it was a riot. Every furry or vaguely furry-like character in the room took it upon themselves to try and confront them; the host complained they were there to disrupt the event; they were repeatedly harassed about being bigots and racists and a dozen other things. And all the goons did was stand there and talk calmly, mostly among themselves. As a non-goon observer at the time? gently caress, it was hilarious to watch most of the RP community (and drat near every one of them was there) blow a collective gasket over the mere existence of someone.

I wish the screencaps survived, because it was glorious.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

meme posted:

A really simple grief in FFXI was to offer level thirties (who often, back in the day, didn't have a means to warp outside of death) teleports to their XP camps in Altepa, a level thirties-ish desert area. Instead, I'd teleport them to Xarcabard, a horrible tundra filled with demons, then kick them out of my party for them to find their own way home. For some I'm sure it was exciting, many of them hadn't seen the area before. For others it was a boring, doomed slog back to civilisation. Also, I'd get paid for the teleport.

These really are low-hanging fruit, but I personally loved the City of Heroes version. There was a simple low-end power called Recall Friend which could pull someone on your team from anywhere in the current zone to you. The most often used legitimate applications were retrieving bodies after a wipe and having one stealthy guy get the entire team past a level. But more fun was that almost no newbie realized there was a 'prompt before teleporting' option and so could be teleported to where ever you felt like without any recourse (aside from dropping team). Sure, there was the standard part of dropping them into higher level mobs but far more fun? Was hovering at the flight ceiling and dropping them from the sky.

Even better was that if you were quick and had just the right ability boosts? You could re-teleport them back up to your height before they hit the ground.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

This code chat reminds me of back in the day when I was a mid-level admin on a reasonably sized (100-ish players) MU*. The place had been around for about six years at that point, and had gone through a number of staff and coders as is usual. During my tenure we made the mistake of trying to do some clean-up.

The first incident was looking at the old combat code. Now, due to the game's theme every character had their own unique attack skills for flavor - most mechanically the same, but with unique names. When our new coder examined the object that the combat code was stored on, he screamed. Curious, I looked as well. Every single one of those unique attacks was set up on the object as a unique attribute. For every character ever created, even if they had been deleted years before. We never got an accurate count of how many there were - it was large enough that examining the object caused the entire MU* to lag and got a few thousand lines in before simply returning an error message of OUTPUT FLUSHED. That one was fun to rewrite.

The best, however, was when one of the low-level newbie admins was trying to help out by getting rid of old, unused characters. Among those was the PC of a former admin who had retired and disappeared. What we didn't know is that said admin had been in charge of building the game's original rooms, and that he had used this PC to do it. Said PC was deleted, and suddenly the entire online population along with hundreds of objects of various sorts were dumped into the code equivalent of a trash bin because the rooms they had been in no longer existed. This included most of the game's code objects. Even better, the system had no idea how to respond to this circumstance, so everything anyone did or said broadcast an error message to the entire room. It was absolute, utter chaos. We had to restore from a three day old backup at that point, because there was no fixing it.

I am still convinced that some of the former staff there had set these things up on purpose just to gently caress with everyone.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

viewtyjoe posted:

In the Battletech cartoon or some of the books, there are some bird-people, who are largely ignored by people obsessed with "canon" and the "timeline" of the books. Word of Lowtax players like to annoy these :spergin: by constantly reminding them that their serious robot game for serious people has had a bunch of bird-dudes in it.

This is more or less it. Part of the Battletech universe is that there are no aliens - nothing more intelligent than a smart dog at best. Except one book - one very bad book that decided to have a group of no-name characters accidentally make a bad space-jump and end up in parts unknown where they meet bird-aliens. It's the only place in thirty-odd years of canon that intelligent aliens show up in. And it drives grognards insane. So of course goons have to remind them of it as frequently and annoyingly as possible, which results in either 'We showed them :smug:' goons or wildly ranting neckbeards.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

If you think Munchkin kills friendships, check out Steve Jackson' Illuminati. It's the perfect game for people you never want to speak to again.

Illuminati is the only game that has been banned in my circle of friends for the sheer fuckery we've historically gotten into. Largely because we take the rule on cheating ('It's only cheating if you are caught') to it's logical extremes.

My personal favorite was a Bavarian Illuminati player's abuse of his winning condition. That faction's goal is kept secret - they pick the same goal as another faction (that may or may not be in the game), write it down on a piece of paper and don't reveal it until they've won. This particular player had a wonderful cheat - he thought for a while, wrote down his goal, and then folded up the paper several times for security's sake. What we didn't know is that he had actually written down ALL of the other faction's names on the paper, then folded it so that each name had it's own section of the paper. So when he achieved any of the possible winning conditions, he simply unfolded the paper appropriately to display the name of the faction he wanted at the time. In essence, he had 8 different ways he could win. We only eventually found it out when he unfolded it the wrong way and tried to declare victory with the wrong faction.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Back when I was hanging around the university's gaming club office, random board games would be pulled out to pass the time when everyone was sick of Magic. A common favorite (for reasons I never understood) was the Buffy The Vampire Slayer game. It apparently follows the TV series reasonably well, with all the players but one playing as a character from the show (with various abilities) and one player taking one of the seasonal big bad guys. The player's objective: beat the bad guy, who is generally stronger than all the rest until they've had time to build themselves up.

One bad guy is the Mayor who starts out disguised as a normal human and can't be harmed until he transforms into a giant monster. To do this, the players must move to a specific spot on the board and close a demonic portal. One of the club regulars was forbidden from playing the Mayor, as he would simply place the Mayor on top of that spot and, as he was invulnerable, make it impossible for anyone else to land on that spot and force him to transform. He couldn't win, but he could also never lose. It took until the third time that people realized he was going to keep doing that EVERY time.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

EVIR Gibson posted:

There was a time when a there was an ability in everquest that could crash the entire zone.

Speaking of crash bugs in MMOs, I'll call back here to City of Heroes. So one of the game's archtypes was the Mastermind, a dedicated pet class. You could summon a small horde of minions of your choice that did your bidding - soldiers, zombies, demons, etc. One of them was summoning a bunch of robot drones to shoot things with obscene amounts of lasers, missiles and the like.

One of the cute little things you could do was force your pets to do emotes like a player, so you could make your zombies dance to Thriller or have your soldiers read the newspaper during downtime.

Just after a patch that added a few new emotes and tweaked some older ones, there was a sudden bout of entire zones crashing. It was a huge mystery for a good two weeks until some experimenting players figured it out: a robotics Mastermind was having their first-level drones do the thumbs up emote. The robots didn't have thumbs. The game didn't know how to process this and crashed the zone as it tried to render the unrenderable. The drones were patched to have invisible thumb 'bones' a few days later.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

No greatest hits collection would be complete without DayZ and "HEY MATT".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4pO0sQz94
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foNIQ0UlZsw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BydUr5N_n4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q2jn6N6LXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDojufv5bD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ppOS_wPT4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBhxDZog0Rk

Oh, and on a similar note this wonderful and similar one that got posted here recently-ish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFxEnwHiYLg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Not sure if this is technically a grief or not, but it's funny as poo poo and I'll never pass up a chance to link Criken.

Planetside 2 Team Brazil one

Planetside 2 Team Brazil two

That's actually perfectly normal for a large PS2 battle. Except normally people don't get weapon-locked for killing their own team quite as often.

• Locked thread