Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNameeeeeeeeeeeeee posted:

My favorite thing to do lately to blow off steam is play stupid use-map-settings games in Starcraft 2. I blow off even more steam in the lobby before the game. During the countdown, I wait until he timer gets to like 10 seconds and then I say something like "Starcraft 2 is a really good game, but it's a total ripoff of halo!"

Ten seconds isn't really enough time to read and type up a response, so as soon as the game starts (2 minutes later) the general chat gets flooded with "WHOEVER loving SAID THIS GAME IS A RIPOFF OF HALO IS A loving IDIOT!!!11" and I get a disjointed timeline of the release of halo games and a lecture about how awesome and influential Starcraft 1 was. Making people waste the first minute and a half of the game makes the lovely maps totally worthwhile.

Sperging over Starcraft. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy fanatics about the game get when you mention something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've come to the realization that just being decent in CS and going to a server where the skill level is low in itself is a grief. Some of the most routine kills are met with hacking accusations. Even if they are in the most popular camping spots, you're walling if you check that area and blast them with a shotgun as you run by.

Also, while not really original, knifing only in gungame/deathmatch servers send people into flying fits of rage.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm not sure if this counts as a grief (I think it does because it's one of those 'guaranteed wins' that end up not being that way). But the street fighter talk in this thread immediately think about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7cW2nMf1gk. I'm sure some of you have seen it before. It's got a lot of views, but for those who haven't. Final match in the finals and dude gets robbed much to the amusement and thrill of the audience. I've never heard a crowd get so loud during a match. :ohdear:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'm kind of smelling fake on that, only due to the fact that it's a major slim chance of anything like that happening. But if it's true, simply amazing.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I think it's because it's a "cheese" play style. Spam one move with a throw and that's all you do. Go with what works I guess. People have a tendency of finding something that's easy to do and damaging (ie MW2's Akimbo 1887's, CS's Auto shotty, Halo rockets etc) and sticking to it.

Not a grief, a tactic really. As 'cheap' as it can be construed it still gets you wins.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

What the gently caress did I just read? I'm sorry, but I understood less of that than when someone goes all wownerd and I've never played wow or really any mmo for a sizeable amount of time.

Most of it is hockey lingo. PP% is powerplay percentage (you get a powerplay if someone does a penalty, taking one person off the ice. 5 players on the ice on normal time hence the 3 on 5/4 on 5 match ups). Icing the puck means he cleared the puck from his side of the ice to the other side of the ice without any of his teammates touching the puck and it being picked up by an opposing teammate. Hitting the puck into the stands stops the clock and forces a faceoff.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

:psyduck: what

Ah ha didn't even catch that myself.

So after reading this thread, I'm beginning to think logically going into a game (like MW2) and resiting something along the nature of another game (like TTT or whatever) and using as much lingo as possible. I think it's caused enough confusion in the thread to warrant a try.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

FoF posted:

You never got a warning because you were completely within the realm of the rules. I would be willing to bet people petitioned you and GMs checked logs and saw you said that and just laughed at the person you conned (for lack of a better word since it was what you said)

While this is true, they've done other bullshit for warnings in the past. I still can't get it around my head...Why have a language filter if you can be temp banned for profanity...:doh:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

FuzzyPickles posted:

I'm pretty sure they only punish for profanity to cover their rear end so when some angry parent sees the word 'gently caress' on their kids screen, they cant sue blizzard for letting it happen. They allow the filter to be turned off because they know many people would be more bothered by the filter then actual swearing.

Yeah, that I understand. But as a counter point, the parent shouldn't be retarded enough to let their child play WoW without utilizing that feature. Or play the game. Goddamn there are some raunchy conversations in the barrens.

And reported is fairly old in terms of griefing. I always like the psychologist better.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hard Clumping posted:

Best post/avatar combo 2010

After doing creative griefing with the goons in TTT and such the first half of this year, sometimes it's fun to just get really drunk and trash talk serious gamers in TF2 servers. It's lovely and boring but it's so much fun to change your name to "100PERCENTBESTPLAYER" and go to town. Most of the time they just ignore you, but on the big dog clan servers they'll actually straight up ban you for making fun of people for spending 50 bucks customizing all their hats and weapons.

I really don't understand how such a silly fun game can be taken so deathly seriously.

This is what I started to resort to when TTT started to get boring to me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cwapface posted:

WoW :words:

Any guild that walks around en masse in a town before going to raid MC deserved this very thing. Good job.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

TheRagamuffin posted:

They still teach spelling and grammar in public school, right?

...Right? :ohdear:

I was thinking the same thing. "i work for microsoft xbl specificly and i wanted to give you a warning cuz next time im banning u." It takes all the 'effectiveness' out of it. I wonder if we're going to have this poo poo in future wars or something. Send Iran a text or something that says "lol gonna fuk ur poo poo up human being" because the internet has made me firmly believe that there is no help for humanity.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

People hack in Gary's mod? Por que?

On the subject of Vacbans, the biggest grief done to me was my friend installed a spinhack on my account and proceeded to go into each server on my favorites. Eventually I got vacbanned and lost about 50 dollars worth of games. On the new account I went back into the servers and was banned immeadiately because they saw him hacking thinking it was me. Fun times.

Then he started dating a girl I once dated and was trying to get back together with.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

He isn't anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Back when a weapon or nade laying on the bomb meant you couldn't defuse it gave you a viable excuse too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Iwouldn't say their butts. They're officially making a game to it's highest griefing potential as some players don't really know that cntrl alt del or alt f4 lets you quit. There is always more and more possibilities.

And WoW parachute cloaks back when you could twink without the crap nowadays made for the best Arathi Basin games.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Please tell me you frapsed this.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SS13 griefs are the best to read.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Role Playing in WoW is enough to incite anger in people alone. I have been experimenting a bit with it and have concluded walking everywhere as a tank will piss them of enough to vote kick you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Is this walking as opposed to running or is there some twist to this like you're role playing an M1 Abrams?
I know what my hunter is doing now. Thanks.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Or recording a demo which is easier to do.

I had bunch of wonderful clips of upsettin servers with the pump but alas my computer blue screened and only 5 clips made it to my external. :ohdear:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hungryjack posted:

Wow, so I could make THE IRRITATING MEXICAN AMERICAN QUITTER? This may be a game for me.

EDIT: Or the CRAZED NUT GRABBER. Oh poo poo I'm in!
I will be PENUIN SMASHER. Or KUrt Hammitt.

Edit: penguins sound like a loving dirtbike. They frighten me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I just liked binding every action to a sound. ie Jumping said "pills here" reloading was screaming etc.

I lasted about an average of 2 rounds before people got angry.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I could never get into Gmod past TTT. I like the videos though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Angry Diplomat, you have made me genuinely howl with laughter. I was just happy people were posting SS13 stories. Yours is my favorite.

I wish that someone could compile a book or something, or a pdf of the best stories in this thread. Especially the SS13 ones because there isn't much lingo and you can easily imagine all of it happening on some horrible place in orbit hundreds of years from now.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I got a "video must be purchased to be viewed." I have never seen that one before.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Zebrin posted:

Can we not have this discussion again please?
We had a discussion about buttstuff monopoly and griefing?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Model M posted:

Team Avo has a new video up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifJs9qHaARk

Looks like they managed to get their hands on World Edit.

Got a link not banned by GEMA (Copyright on music)?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Thanks for this. This is amazing!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Oppenheimer posted:

In TF2 there's an achievement for Pyro that is for having your dominated enemy leave the game.

It's called BarbequeQ.
I swear this has been out for awhile.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Couldn't upload it to YouTube or something?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'd like to think that it was done on a in house scenario.

"Bob. This game is dead. We should really putting time and efforts into a world of Starcraft or something."

"YOU SHOW ME THAT THE GAME IS DEAD FIRST! PROOOVE IT!"

* enters key strokes*

"Bob, Azeroth is dyin. Right now :smug:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I love the stories in them though. They've made me read the thread from start to finish again.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I would realistically buy a book or something with nothing but ss13 stories in them. Sentences like that is what makes me love hearing about the game.

Though Ill never play it. Then the magic would be ruined.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

These SS13 stories are the best part of the thread, I want more of those

It really should be its own thread. Not the regular thread for Ss13. More like story time with ss13, with your host, butt bot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tulip posted:

It's not really about OPSEC, it's about the fact that it would completely take over everything about the thread. Like here's a classic from James315's history. It's a little long but it's kind of an amazing payoff. His ongoing griefing involves hundreds of people in dedicated griefer squads and an entire website documenting it.

So did he give it all back? The link is dead.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Someone told me of command or something over aim that would force the users disk tray to open. Was he full of poo poo or did this really work?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Red_Mage posted:

Martyrdom on the map with all the shipping containers when said map was overfull was the most hilarious thing. Because as soon as one person is winning with it, everyone slots it, and holy poo poo. You'd get situations where you'd spawn in, die to someone's martyrdom, which would in turn let you blow up someone else, and so on. Just an endless parade of grenades thudding.

I always did the 3 grenades perk as well so it'd be a shmorgasborg of grenades. I think it let you take martyrdom too so it was pretty disgusting. By the time I had thrown my last nade I was generally dead.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I played on a rppvp server for years and hardly ever saw rp. It actually pissed people off more than anything when you did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Not so much Griefing as it was playing the game right, but I played quarters in middle school. For those who dont know, quarters is a game were you spin a quarter and try to flick it to keep it spinning. If you flick it and it stays spinning, your opponent has to try to do the same. If you flick it and it falls down or of the table you have to put your knuckles on the table and the other player grabs the quarter, puts it flat on the table, and zings it righ towards your knuckles. The person who has 3 knuckles bleeding first loses.

Since spinning is a broad term we made a rule that said if the quarter falls flat with 5 seconds of a hit, it is a fall and the flicker gets zinged. Anything after 5 seconds and it is the other players fault. The flicker cannot mess with the quarter after he touches it.

Eventually I found out that everyone was right handed. Therefore havin to flick it in a certain direction. So I learned how to flick it left handed to start the volley off. More oft than not, the other player would try to flick it and since he was going against the spin and not with it, he would send it flying off the table. Letting me get a chance to zing.

I dont know what possessed me and my friends to play this as kids, but we eventually stopped as soon as I stopped losing and parents started asking why our knuckles were constantly bloody.

• Locked thread