Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRfddWwgx8

A rare example of an npc griefing the player from AC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm glad this thread is still around.

The only griefing I ever did was Team Fortress Classic, where if you were good, you could quickly slow down most of a team's flagrunners as a spy. Once they fixed the netcode and people actually got cable internet the spy's tranq gun, which wasn't hitscan, would hit much more reliably and slow people down to 1/4 speed for about 30 seconds. Then you could pick them off, backstab them, or let your team take care of them.

This made everyone flip out because it was basically a death sentence (but not really, this time I'm going to survive!...and I'm dead. Dammit).

The slowdown was such an incredibly jarring effect (because with bunnyhopping the game was essentially as fast as competitive quake 3) that I got a lot of people trained to suicide immediately rather than deal with the effects.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

While I'm on the topic, there was one clan called House of Pain that used to specialize in off kilter defensive strats. One of their best involved using three spies on defense (where one would only occasionally be used on offense on some maps) for Badlands rather than a Hw, two soldiers, a demo man, and engineer.

Badlands objective was a flag in a silo that the enemy had to drop into to carry out the flag.

House of Pain figured out that you could have three spies constantly throwing their secondary grenades (they spawned right next to the silo with 4 apiece), which were hallucinatory pills (it would play sounds and explosions, and show you stuff that wasn't occurring) that had a mild pushback effect (amplified with multiple pills) with damage over time.

The net effect was freeing up 6 people total on their team to go on offense and dominating the other team, while the enemy team offense floated gently to the bottom of the silo, stoned out of their gourds on lsd and hallucinating, and then dying.

It necessitated a rules change.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Clamps McGraw posted:

After reading this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928

and most especially these I-can't-quite-believe-this-actually-exists ultra-autists: http://www.vatsim.net/index.php?id=start

I really want to grief the gently caress out of them. HORDES OF 747'S CRASHING AND EXPLODING EVERYWHERE

"Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Vatsim is real life air traffic controllers for your FSX. Yeah, you heard me, real loving life people train to become virtual ATC Controllers and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot. and then spend their evening routing people around Cleveland. This adds another level of immersion and is supposedly really awesome. The software is a plugin that you add to your FSX and you then register and account and do some other stuff, basically- think plugin, learn some poo poo, use your headset to feel just like a real pilot."

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Magres posted:

I've read them 20 times over and they still make me laugh, but those two are not the story I had in mind. I had Murderous George, Monkey Savior of the Station, in mind.

Throwing the nuke disc on the monkey is a bit of a grief in and of itself because it makes the thing a huge pain to find and the Syndicate agents have to find it and escape with it in the round. Everything that followed is just magical

Are monkeys player controlled or just AI controlled?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1Ay85de3U

Just a repost of the only good TF2 grief in this thread

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I use Hola unblocker so I can buy super discounted NFL internet streaming packages from non broadcasting countries. Works pretty well.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Croccers posted:

For real? And you save money doing this? Sounds like a #lifehack there, maybe. Using an Unblocker mightbe too hard for the Lifehack crowd.

Check the thread in TFF

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a medical mystery posted:

It can be a blast to play, you just kinda have to make your own fun which not everyone can do

Someone with search options find the one about two people making a nuclear explosion out of potato chips after the admin tried to nerf all of the space station destroying objects

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Spoz posted:

Does anyone have a link the the story of a goon from one of those block builder survival games making the giant offensive banner on accident? Something about building on the wall as all the pubbies raged and he couldn't figure out why until later?

That was from somewhere in the 7 days to die thread. The goon base murderchurch or whatever couldn't understand why this army of pubbies kept besieging them one night at random and swearing at them and it turned out that some of the blocks on their giant statue collapsed and it spelled out "COON" instead of "GOON"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think I damaged my lungs laughing when you guys figured out how to make people browned out drunk and vomit all over the place by vomiting on them, spreading it around like the pie eating contest from Stand By Me.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Thronde posted:

:captainpop: God. drat. What a good loving post. That's probably the most perfect "Dear Dependa" letter ever.

She went ahead and married him and later started complaining about the marriage, I heard.

Which makes it way funnier

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

How has anyone not posted the final boss of TF2 as the best grief ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1Ay85de3U

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lord Chumley posted:

I gotta find that Hellmoo story.

Edit: Found it.

Oh, the one where they killed the family and put their baby up for sale in the vending machine?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can we have that quote from the defeated admin talking about how he job restricted 2 players who then ended up making nuclear bombs out of potato chips? Also an explanation of how they did it would be cool too. Edit: here it is.

"I couldn't figure out how you goatfuckers STILL managed to be terrorists with potato chips and water. YOU FOUND A WAY. I had two coders on IRC combing through reactions trying to figure out exactly how you motherless fucks were managing to make potato chips and water into explosives, and they had no loving idea. It shouldn't have been possible. It couldn't have been possible. I fear for the safety of the world if the people who managed to find a way to do murders with mother loving potato chips and goddamned water ever get recruited by a real world terrorist organization. The headlines the next day will read something like WE'RE ALL hosed: SOME NERD KILLS 3/4 OF THE WORLD'S POPULATION WITH A USED BANDAID AND THE SQUEAKER FROM A DOG TOY. THIS SECURITY PHOTO SHOWS THE SUSPECT PURCHASING A STICK OF GUM. DOES HE WANT FRESH BREATH, OR IS HE FINISHING THE JOB? OUR ONLY CONSOLATION IS THAT WE WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE IT COMING. FILM AT 11 IF WE'RE LUCKY. OR UNLUCKY. gently caress IT. WHATEVER. -(AP)

edit to add: I would like to thank the Maker's Mark Distillery for providing me with the liquid courage to have made it through that terrible time"

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They did this for TFC back in the day. Roaster John and Perfect Player 2. Soooo many top league players banned. It was glorious.

It wasn't VAC bans either, it was a widely disseminated rootkit so it was undeniable

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 3, 2016

• Locked thread