Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bogarts posted:

To be fair the OPFOR commander cheated too.

Yeah, something along the lines of motorcycle couriers travelling at lightspeed.

I believe there was also something along the lines of him interpreting the fact that the simulation tracking navel vessels didn't keep track of small fishing boats and civilian craft that the suicide boats and stuff he cooked up wouldn't actually be detected by the Navy until they crept right up next to the boats and opened fire, despite y'know, anyone with two functioning eyeballs in a war zone being able to look at the horizon and see a flotilla coming right at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Tulip posted:

Eh, based on my griefing experience this isn't the case. Getting killed in Smashbros isn't normally cause for anguish. Getting killed by your opponent using themselves as a Bob-omb delivery vehicle or DK-carrying you off the field (killing themselves in the process) tends to piss people off something fierce.

In PRINCIPLE you'd rather know that you cost your opponent something by your death, but in practice it just adds insult to know that your opponent looked at how much damage you could do, and made a rational calculation that "yea, i can write that loss off no big deal" and did it anyway.

Or as the great man Andrew Ryan once put it, "A man chooses, a slave gets taken down with him."

Also I loved in SSBM if you stood at the edge of a bottomless map and had Kirby toss and grabbed enemy backward it would almost instantly drag both you and your victim over and into the abyss. Unfortunately it's not as effect in Brawl. I would always do that as a form of protest if we ended up playing on Hyrule Temple, god that map is terrible.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I have not played a game of diplomacy that ended with an actual winner. It's always nuclear winter for us.

//edit: wait, no; not diplomacy. gimme a second to figure out what game I'm talking about, because it's great.
//edit mk2: I was thinking of Supremacy, which is like Risk but has nukes / chemical weapons / spies, etc. It's great because one or two players who have been dicked over the entire game can stockpile nukes and launch them all on the same turn to cause everyone to lose due to nuclear winter.

The two times I've played Diplomacy it pretty much always turns out exactly like WWI, which is you get a bunch of convoluted agreements of alliances and ultimately two factions that keep stalemating each other until someone fucks up or breaks rank.

Again like most games it's a lot better if there is some food and booze involved.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So in Planetside 2, in certain larger bases there are these mystical beams of light in the basements of the spawn rooms that can take you to different, further out parts of the base a lot quicker and a lot safer than just hoofing it. In Amp stations one of these vents will shoot you straight up out of the floor and into the area where you can pull vehicles from.

This area is also behind a vehicle shield, which means opposing enemies can't normally drive a tank in and tear the room apart. However as the base gets overrun there is a way to disable that shield and at that point it's usually just a matter of hanging around until the base flips completely.

As an opposing player if you stand on top of or park a vehicle on where this hole in the floor is, you get a warning about that being an out of bounds area and will consistently take damage until you die or your vehicle explodes.

However, one faction (Vanu Sovereignty) has a tank that hovers just high enough to not trigger the effect.

Cue lots of angry hate tells from people on the losing side of a fight about how I'm cheating and exploiting by blocking the hole. I don't know why they complain, I'm just keeping them safe so they don't rack up a ton of deaths by popping out one by one into a very hostile room v:v:v

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ahdinko posted:

Why is this? I have a Swedish friend who I play CS with alot, and he has two Swedish friends that he invites to join us sometimes. One of them is fine and will talk English when I play, but the other one absolutely refuses to talk in English, so either my friend has to sit in the middle translating, or they just jabber on in Swedish and I make do by either talking English to the two who will talk back to me, or when I need to speak to third guy, I just start adding the letter A to the end of any English word in order to say something to them (probably works about 50% of the time)

I remember chatting with a Swede once in a hostel who said that he disliked speaking in English (especially with native speakers) because he thought his accent was bad and he sounded stupid. (It wasn't and he didn't, but I couldn't change his mind)

Maybe that's it? Just not wanting to sound like a dweeb in front of their internet friends?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wild T posted:

Crashing a fully loaded Galaxy transport into a tree (accidentally or not) never got old. When they introduced BFRs (giant, ugly mechs that required fighting a series of battles in the worst map ever made to unlock) they became my primary target, since they took forever to unlock, upgrade and re spawn if one was destroyed. The sheer amount of drudgery required usually mean BFR players were the worst kind of MMO shitlords.

I used to load up the troops in the back, go in for the drop then say "Help! There's a man in here with a box cutter! He-" and "ALLAHU ACKBAR" before diving kamikaze straight into the BFR. :911:

(Note: it wouldn't actually inflict that much damage to the BFR, but that wouldn't stop them from raging out regardless because MMO players.)

I never played Planetside in it's (pre-BFR) heyday, but I did have the luck to play it with a couple of old school players during the days when development had stopped and all pops had been moved onto one server, but before Planetside 2. Nobody in our group played seriously, it was all griefs all the time and there were three big ones that made up our rotation.

1.) Allah Akbar Airlines: This grief was all about BFRs. Which is to say it was all about destroying them. Depending on how many people we had on, we would get a couple of people to pilot Phantasms (small, claokable dropships) while everyone else would load up on Lancers (big pew pew laser canons) and some EMP grenades. Once everyone was loaded we would fly around until someone spotted a BFR, everyone would drop out of the ship (4-8 people) and a few peeps would throw the EMP grenades. With the robot on lock, we would mass fire laser spam and destroy the robot. It took about thirty seconds and anyone with a trial account could load into the ship. The number of hate tells was amazing.

2.) Swimming Lessons: In Planetside you could set who was allowed into your vehicle (group, squad, pubbies). You get an aerial transport and open it up to the public, wait for it to fill up, then fly over a large or deep body of water and change the access permissions. With pubbies no longer allowed in your vehicle, they would be ejected straight into the water where they would become another statistic.

3.) Motherduck: This one cropped up once more people in our group attained BFR certs. One person would get a BFR while everyone else would load up on lancer stuff. Then you would go out into a map somewhere and the BFR would crouch. Due to the nature of drawing and clipping in this game, everyone on foot could hide inside the BFR model. Then, when a vehicle or another BFR showed up to engage Motherduck, all the ducklings could clip out of the model and tear the enemy to shreds.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

pulp rag posted:

It reminds me of the loving N64 days where when devs couldn't get Donkey Kong 64 running, they just threw more RAM at it. At least back then, they had the (profit-reducing) decency to toss in a free Expansion Pak with the game.

That wasn't decency, it was an ultimatum from Nintendo. In the state the game was in, it wasn't going to be allowed to ship unless they included the pak or fixed the bug.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Great stabs, great jams, voted 5.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even with a 30 second delay, watching a stream gives you all the info you need to troll. It gives you the server, the target, the target's team, what class they're rolling for easier targeting, and a rough guess of what part of the map they're in.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's basically panhandling except you have a roof, clothes, food, and people will acknowledge you presence on the street.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wild T posted:

FUNDERER!

One of the guys I played PS2 with was super into the original, and he told us about a similar prank he'd play on pubbies.

In this case he'd use a Phantasm, which is a small aircraft with cloaking capabilities, often used for dropping small squads undetected behind enemy lines.

In this case he'd load it full of pubbies, fly over the nearest body of water, then change permissions on the vehicle to lock out people not in his group. Since none of the pubbies were actually in his group when they had loaded in, the game would automatically kick them out of the vehicle, causing them to fall straight to the bottom of whatever body of water they were over.

Of course before he did that he'd always be sure to ask in local chat if everyone had brought their floaties for swimming lessons.

• Locked thread