Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

m2pt5 posted:

There are still annoying places you can build an exit and get people stuck... like under the A sign on Badwater.
It's more insulting when 2fort snipers teleport behind the desk and facing the intel, then have to hike all the way back up the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Why would a sniper need to teleport on 2Fort?
I build entrances in their cover spots and make the exit face the intel as a kind of subtle hint.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
HellMOO is awful and everyone playing it should be put on some kind of watch list.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm pretty sure that's Team Fortress or one of its many offspring.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Charles Martel posted:

It really blows my mind how people will stay in the same server and yell into their mics for as long as they do instead of just finding another server. Like people have to defend their precious online gaming honor by yelling various obscenities into their headset instead of finding the humor in it or leaving.

There's really not a whole lot of humour in mygot. It's nice that I haven't run into them in TF2 yet (thank you VAC / Steam IDs).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Judakel posted:

My god it was glorious. L4D never ceases to attract the tards and goons sperg like no one else. This morning Goddamn Hippy provided enough amusement to remind me of why I loved griefing in that game so much.
Am I supposed to just guess what you did or are you going to tell me?

Anyway, I'm loving dying here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piHkbY3aw14&feature=channel_page

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 13, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arooga posted:

It's so loving obvious when somebody is aimbotting it's insane.
I think the only time I was certain that someone was botting was my first game of CoD4 when I could only play on non-PunkBuster servers. Someone jumped, did a 180º and shot me in the head through an obstacle with the .50 sniper rifle. Even on the PC that is next to impossible. Luckily the admin was on and banned him as soon as I described what happened.

HOWEVER, I did pretty much the same thing in BF1942 once. The difference was there weren't any obstructions to see through and I was 10 feet away not 50.

This was the first time I ever saw BF1942.

tehspiekguy posted:

I stumbled upon a great way to grief in TF2 the other day: Build teleporter exits facing the edge of a cliff. I had been ubering snipers, going rambo with my needlegun, and an all-around rear end with teles before that, but causing half our team to suicide after teleporting was what caused them to finally kick me from the server.

Anyone have a list of the most common maps in TF2 that have auto-death cliffs like that? Nucleus is a great one, but there has to be more that I'm not thinking of.
Steel is probably a good one.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 14, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Phuzzy posted:

:gonk:

I know someone got permabanned for posting a thread about that show in ADTRW.

Posting in ADTRW at all should result in a permaban.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

FoF posted:

So I recently discovered that the grenades team switch trick works on TF2. The only difference is instead of the opposing team you go spectator. The idea is go Demo, fire pipe bombs (weapon 1) at the ground and then switch to spec before they explode. They will deal full damage to anyone next to them. You can do this during setup or during the game (24/7 2fort snipers are great for this).

Lets see if we can run this into the ground faster than the flares exploit.
I just spent about 20min doing this and killed maybe three people. I got a bunch of kill assists but it still took awhile before snipers started bitching for admin attention. A coordinated team of teleporters will take them down for longer and they can't complain as easily.

Vib Rib posted:

I hopped around some 2Fort servers because I figured that would be where it was most commonly being exploited.
Out of 8 visited servers, 5 had people doing this.
24/7 2fort servers deserve everything they get.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 22, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Jesus it's like pre-Trammel Ultima.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
After learning to hate the Diablo 2 community all over again I started making games called "Free SOJs" just to see how many people would rush in and beg. After that got a few laughs I made "Free PTorch". Paladin Torches are extremely valuable items so people hung around a lot longer and started frantically searching when I told them I'd hidden it "somewhere in act 2". Meanwhile I'm off killing bosses just watching people try to party with me to find me and begging for hints. This lasted long enough to kill Diablo and Baal.

For best results, when you're done killing things tell them that time expired and you're taking the torch with you.

Even better is when one guy claims to have found it while his friend dies trying:

You can also tell them it's hidden in a huge, dark maze with tiny Stygian Dolls who can one-shot some players with their death explosion.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Eonwe posted:

With Diablo 2 on hardcore you could always make a 'ACT 4 HELL RUN' game and a number of people would join. You could have a TP to wherever, it didn't really matter tell them there is some loot on the ground outside the TP. Except outside the TP you really lured a ton of monsters. There is a slight delay after you go into a TP where you can't go back through the TP again. This is especially good if you can get a unique flame lord or whatever they are called since they do a ton of initial damage.

Not hardcore since my connection and glide wrapper are prone to lock-ups, but good enough.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

boxorocks posted:

GTA IV was excellent to troll. There was a period where I was making little mods/hacks with the funniest part being that the mods would work on multiplayer games.

Nothing would make people rage more than a 1000 tonne player ragdoll zipping around destroying their race by colliding with all their cars. Alternatively you could add a couple lines of code that teleported you in front of a player's car, and having the mass that you had; the car would wrap itself around you as though you were a telegraph pole.

Many tears were savoured until I got bored of the game. The ability to write those lovely hacks/mods added many more hours of playability beyond what it normally would have had for me.
How easy was this to do? I'm guessing GTA4 uses matchmaking, so if Rockstar's online service didn't ban you then that's pretty shameful... but hilarious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jzmisgoo posted:

Hey yall, the Left 4 dead 2 demo is out and the full game is coming out soon. Be sure to bind keys keys to to the playerdeath sounds and the special infected callouts. Here's a link to most if not all of the commands.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003494
I have successfully kickvoted my real friends for doing this.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rixen posted:

Holy poo poo I do that exact same thing. I love that show and I love that bow.

You'll find HLSS is the best griefing tool because for some reason people cannot STAND to have sounds play in their very serious cartoon killing games.
Muting in TF2 is way too easy though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BulletRiddled posted:

There used to be a Star Wars mod for Battlefield 1942, and me and my brother found an amazingly hilarious way to grief people with that one. The people who played it took the whole thing waaaay too seriously (as in genuine Star Wars roleplaying, and they'd yell at you if you didn't roleplay too), so we decided the best thing to do was to literally let our dog play. We'd bind all the different controls to the keyboard, and then let the dog mash the keyboard with her paws. Quite often we'd be the last person alive on our team (since the dog could never get out of the starting area except for the odd total fluke), and our entire team would be screaming at us as the entire enemy team charged at us while we were spinning in circles and firing straight up in the air. Explaining that it wasn't us, it was the dog, didn't really calm them down. The funniest thing that happened (and what finally got us banned from one of the servers) was when our character ran down the hall from the spawnpoint, turned around, layed down, and opened fire on our entire team, killing every single one of them. Hearing all the Star Wars-themed insults being blasted at us as as we layed in hallway waiting for the enemy was loving hilarious, especially when the dog started munching treats right into the microphone.

That last part sounds like it was written by the same guy who paused Castlevania and came back to discover his cat jumping on the controller and Death was defeated :rolleyes:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Last night in Left 4 Dead 2 my friend and I were matched up with two guys on our team for VS. As soon as the round started one of them began singing about us in a high-pitched voice (picture South Park's Mr. Hanky crossed with Michael Jackson), but the other guy would constantly save him from the kickvote. This went on for awhile and we just plotted to kill them when it was our turn as the survivors.

Well, it turns out melee weapons don't do significant friendly fire damage so we ended up dead while the singer and his friend made it to the saferoom. My Singing Hunter gimmick didn't register with the opposing team on the next round, so finally I went nuclear.

I grabbed my audio cable and hooked my headphone output into my mic input while cranking my mic sensitivity and volume as high as they would go. I have no idea what that sounded like, but all of a sudden the singing guy's mic chat icon disappeared an I started getting non-stop kickvotes. My friend managed to block most of them until he missed one while trying to show his girlfriend what we were doing. It was the most satisfying kickvote loss of my L4D career.

They really had no idea who they were loving with.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

cornface posted:

If only there were some way, any way, they could have removed their headphones, they might have been saved from your brutal onslaught.

If it was that easy I don't think they would have gone from "sing into microphone" to "kickvote until it works oh god".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you've got a team willing to play along, it's possible to camp in most of the Left 4 Dead 2 starting saferooms and hold out indefinitely. I don't know if L4D1's countermeasures against this were changed or what, but yesterday we knew there was an early Tank in one of the Swamp Fever maps so we camped there with auto-shotguns for what must have been ten minutes. The other team eventually quit.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2009

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jzmisgoo posted:

Valve has set up the biggest grief(?) in TF2 with their new upcoming Soldier Vs. Demoman update. Here for the uninformed http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part1/index.htm Where the winning class gets an exclusive extra weapon all to themselves by winning a competition on who can kill the most of the opposite class. No matter which class wins there will be a HUGE shitstorm following the reveal of which class gets it and the steam forums will be overrun until it collapses in on itself. I've played a couple of rounds so far and people have been screaming whenever a demoman kills them or whatever.
This is going to be a fun weekend. I'm hoping Valve never reveals the secret weapon for the losing side or (even though there's no way this is possible) doesn't even draft the secret unlocks until one side wins.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've actually got a gimmick called the Civil Engineer where I go around building only teleporters and dispensers in really obvious places, then whine about it when people blow up my "civilian infrastructure". This week I might have to come up with a Conscientious Objector gimmick.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WebDog posted:

Or choosing the Siberian snowsuit skin (a grey full body thing) and playing Bunker, running outside to the helipad then standing facing the trees.

It was a rather effective disguise.
At 1/4th of a 480i screen it probably doesn't take much.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Left 4 Dead 2: Ultra-solipsism

Play normally until your team is in deep poo poo. For me, three of us were left alive and one guy got smoked and the other pounced. Immediately start questioning how you can know the zombies and indeed the other players are even real, and the nature of external knowledge. Argue that the infected are just figments of your imagination and that you cannot save something from something else when neither can be known to exist with certainty.

I managed to bang out "This hunter isn't even real, let alone on me!" before I was kicked.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

coyo7e posted:

It's a shame, they should've goldmined this thread back before someone decided they had to throw poop at it.

Not like we can just have someone make a new griefing thread OP, they'd need to quote the first 40 pages of this thread. :(

There's still time for you to never post in it again.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Last night I played on a TF2 server with the Black Hole admin mod. They turned it off when the round started but watching everyone sink into the gate pits on Dustbowl 2.1 was hilarious.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blarticus posted:

Text chat griefing, plus philosophy 101, exciting.
I have to use text because laughter sort of takes away from the existential crisis. The response on voice chat is hilarious, however.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rixen posted:

Have some Captain(#)Planet, anything to avoid another eight-page derail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN6p7bifMTQ
I finally cracked up when the Lion King theme started.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I would always just run under people with Pikachu and do nothing but that lightning bolt move, and not once did I fail to get the crowd chanting and the other players screaming.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Soulex posted:

Plus he's using a F2000 which is the worst weapon in the game
Man, I bought BF2 for that gun. Why do they always make it suck in everything except Splinter Cell?

The guy who wrote the article complains about 12-year olds but his bio pic puts him at no older than 14.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 20, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's the game. Infinity Ward also renamed grenade launchers to "noob tubes".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
MW2 apparently has built-in griefing since there's a viral unlimited ammo bug that allows you to, among other things, achieve automatic fire with the AC-130's 105mm cannon. Even if they patched that, people in other threads constantly complain that the netcode is nondeterministic or some bullshit because they will shoot someone, register hits then die only for their target's killcam to show an entirely different version of events.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
One of my friends changed the difficulty to expert at the very end of the Parish finale once. I was already in the chopper so I voted yes without thinking, but two of the other guys on the team instantly died and I'm pretty sure the guy who initiated the vote got punched into the helicopter by the Tank.

There was also the time I made it to the saferoom way ahead of everyone and stood behind the closed door with the autoshotgun. As soon as it opened I incapped all three of my teammates, but I picked them up right away since that kind of thing was grounds for real-life murder the following morning in L4D1.

We've had rounds in expert where we all reflexively killed each other in the safe room just to get it out of our system after bailing a level really badly.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Soulex posted:

MW2 is a train wreck. Now goons are cheating and a few got VAC banned.
Can you summarize or do I have to wade through the thread about that awful game?

Edit: Nevermind, it's all over the last four pages.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 24, 2010

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If you like that trick you'd love seat-switching in BF2.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Xinlum posted:

That's where you switch from the pilot seat to gunner or something right? I always hated that in 2142.
No, you floor it in a jeep heading toward a teammate, then at the last moment switch to the passenger seat so they get run over but you aren't blamed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Calihan posted:

Pretty much the anti-cheating system is about as useful a clown suit in a fox hunt. Combined with no way real way of controlling where or who you play with and you wind up getting cheated over and over while your levels/stats hosed with by a hack-using host even if you yourself play legit.

The official response from Activision on the situation has been something along the lines of a vague "I dunno" shrug before running back to swim in their Scrooge McDuck style gold piles. So yeah people are a little upset.

A shame too because it actually is a fun game without the cheating bullshit.
The solution is to not buy anything else in the CoD franchise but I know people aren't that smart. Are 360 players still dealing with infinite ammo because it costs Activision money to release another patch?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Actually, is there a concise list of basic L4D griefs a newbie could do?

I'm meeting up with a friend to play it sometime this week (it'll be my first time) and I wanna rattle her cage a bit. After playing legitimately for a while, of course.
The classic thing to do to your friends is to heal them with your medkit, stop, then start again. While healing someone you are both frozen in place. Save this for one of the gauntlet events in L4D2 and your friend will walk over to your computer and slap you.

Another way to grief people is to join a lobby and leave right before the game starts, or even better find a lobby that has been waiting for an 8th player forever then jump off something to your death at the start of the round.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

Wait, so you're saying that people join an online game just to guard a prison?

They're already been griefed by the game.
Worse; there's a Counter-Strike game type where the terrorists are prisoners and the CTs are guards. The only "griefing" video I've seen featured a guy who simply shot prisoners and this made everyone have a shitfit.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Heintron posted:

Battlefield bad company 2 beta
This is a really poor "grief" but after unlocking everything unlockable in the beta I got bored and just started playing as a defender and blowing up our own "m-con" stations = making the game unplayable for everyone. No video of the rage comments but they were many.
You should have the tracer dart, so get on the attacking team, head over to Camper's Ridge and shoot some snipers in the eyes. They should have a big red glow obscuring their vision. If that doesn't work just block their view or push them from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Crossposted from the Demon's Souls thread. I want to get some blue phantoms together and do this in a team:

quote:

I had to farm 25 colourless souls tonight, so I decided to have fun doing it. Here's the formula:

-Take off all your armour.
-Equip two Tower shields and whatever rings are necessary for you to roll.
-Be an rear end in a top hat.

Most people would completely destroy me as I wasn't wearing a Cling ring, but one guy tried to fight me on the elevator above the primeval demon and we both went barrelling off the top. He hit the ground a split second before I did and it counted as a win, so I resurrected as I died.

Some reactions:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Another guy only brought a spear to the fight and huge shields don't take any of that poo poo. He spent fifteen minutes trying to poke away at me on a cliffside while I put my back to the wall and turtled. He finally beat me by whipping out Makoto or Gripless, which drain your health. I should have healed or something because he probably would have drained himself to death.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 19, 2010

• Locked thread