Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I have fond memories of griefing AkAnon in Everquest back in the day. You see, there was a 1 handed blunt weapon you could get from a quest there that was WAY overpowered. I think you only needed to be level 5 to kill the quest mob. The balancing factor was the fact that it was a blunt weapon and would throw your skills out of whack since warriors never use blunt weapons later on.

If you just intended to grief the newbie zone though, it was the bees knees. I could take out ANYBODY with this thing. Not even pet classes could touch me because the pet would be dead within 30 seconds and then I'd turn on the caster if they didn't start running soon enough. This was around the time people were killing the gnome guards and leaving the fine steel weapons to rot, which sold for a pretty penny. I went around scavenging what I could, and killing anyone that beat me to the loot. Pretty soon I had a substantial bankroll. Since my main problem was that I didn't have any spells, I spent all my money training up fletching. After a few days of that, I crafted a bow that the game didn't really expect you to be able to afford for a long time. I also made a bunch of expensive arrows. So now I had an overpowered melee weapon as well as a way of killing people who were out of melee range.

I eventually met my match though...some guy that had gotten to like level 20 and then delevelled himself back down to level 7 or so. When you delevelled, you got to keep all your weapon skills from the higher level for some reason, so he hit like a freight train and rarely missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
How do you get a rune to the rat archers since it's instant death to go through a gate to there?

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Ylide posted:

UO was the best game ever for griefing, especially if you played a thief or were just a huge looter. I had a blast playing that game and it's sad that no game will ever be like it again. The best grief opportunities came when they revised tinkering so that GM tinkered explosion traps would kill most characters immediately.

It's too bad they made it so the tinkerer gets a murder count if the chest kills someone. That never made sense to me on a number of levels...why protect players that go around opening random chests? Why is the tinkerer the guilty party when someone gets blown up?

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

There's a guy on nethack.alt.org (ironme?) who just rerolls wizards until he gets a scroll of genocide, curses it, then engraves his name and uses the scroll to summon a bunch of ridiculously hard monsters on floor 2 or 3 of the dungeon. Nethack has "bones" files that save a floor and use it in someone else's game, so he basically screws over some other player with impossibly hard monsters right at the start of their game when they hit his bones. For what's essentially a single player game, it's a really creative way to grief others.

I think this one is the best...it takes imagination to grief someone in a single player game.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
I had no idea Second Life could be so funny.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

BrockStar posted:

You think you've seen people getting mad over videogames? You haven't met this guy. Altalk is on, so his cries of "I WILL poo poo DOWN YOUR MOTHER'S THROAT YOU loving friend of the family" are like sweet brandy.

Doesn't sound much different than your typical FPS player.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Crash Bandicoot posted:

I'm fairly sure that me and some friends were directly responsible for the limits on buying pets in Ultima Online.

You weren't the only one that had that idea. Someone tamed a crapload of gorillas, named them "I CAUSE LAG" and released them in Britain. At the time it actually did cause lag...I remember hearing stories about people using recall runes to go across town so they wouldn't have run in the lag.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

clamiam posted:

That story is kinda :smith: regardless.

Yeah, there's such a thing as taking griefing too far. After a certain point it just makes you a sociopath.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Soulpudding posted:

That's why I post on SA what the gently caress is your excuse

He's a quadrapolegic you insensitive gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

FormerFatty posted:

https://www.somethingawfuluo.com has our last 6 months of griefing detailed with screenshots and movies... might be a good read for those seeking the nostalgic griefing that only UO can provide.

You spend an awful lot of time blogging about how much it sucks now.

• Locked thread