Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Can some one loving explain second life to me? I have laughing at all these hilarious griefing stories but have no idea how the game actually works?

I mean I guess there is a 3d modeling program built into the game? But then how do you do things like create guns that push people 2 miles or make floors open up? It all seems drat loving complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'm one of the few people who can say they virtually raped the President of Nintendo.
Hahaha man I knew I subscribed to this thread for a reason

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zarick posted:

Unable to resist, I said "You can run indeed from a bear, because that man was me." :smug:
They forgot the old adage about running from bears. You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person in your group.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Cojawfee posted:

It was even better to join those servers with your config file set to read only and have the admin bitching because he can't change your keys and you get kicked.

That's a loving genius idea. Thanks for the tip.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Actually in UO I believe GM stands for "Grand Master", meaning you have maxed that skill. The guys in charge are just called Admins.

I've never played UO so please tell me I'm a moron if I'm thinking of some other game that does this.

no the admins were called Game Master's as well

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Was I still right about the Grand Master thing?

yeah

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

PalmTreeFun posted:

This is almost as good as that amazing boat story above.

Just curious, are these things acceptable by the UO ToS? If so, this may be that griefing-MMO I was looking for. Fake teleports, baiting enemies and keeping them from attacking you, easy scamming. This could be fun as hell.

Deception as legitimate gameplay is always fun in online games. That's probably why Spy is my favorite TF2 class.

Yes all legit. The game is unrecognizable now though. It's been patch to hell and back and made carebear friendly. The game ceased to be what it was prior to 2002.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SpookyLizard posted:

Yes. Bonus points was that grenades exploded after like five seconds. When you threw frags you had to cook them to be really effective, the cursor would contract and expand about once every second, it usually paid off to throw it after two-three ticks based on how you were using it. (Or none at all if you were winging it across the map.) The Martyrdom grenades only exploded after like two or three seconds tops. They were already 'cooked' as it were. May have been shorter. Which made it better.

The COD wiki says 5 seconds for a regular and 2.5 for a martyr grenade. I only played that game a few times with friends but even being a newbie to that game I instantly realized it was an awesome overpowered ability that would make up for my shittiness.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Wait so you get absolutely nothing if some one quits on you in the ninth inning and you've been winning the whole game?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dizz posted:

Idunno. Knocking innocent people's poo poo down doesn't really count as a grief, it's more of being a piece of poo poo. A grief generally counts as going that to somebody who was asking/deserved it.
Yes it does that's the definition. Otherwise it'd just be called retribution.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

OxMan posted:

I told a few people FYADs old title because I didn't know/think it was real and accidentally pissed off a couple of friends. FYAD griefs. Oops!
Are we talking crossbow'd on the toilet? That was hilarious. It was such an absurd thing that I thought would never happen so when that scene rolled around I couldn't stop laughing that it was actually going to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
It's a MUD. AKA a command line text MMO. So they can use a text reader to play it.

• Locked thread