Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Everquest griefing on Rallos Zek (open pvp with itemloot) - some fun espisodes

Me and RL friend grouped in random zone (Stonebrunt mountains) when random Ranger shows up and asks for a group.

Now, I am a Troll Shadowknight:siren:. We purposely overpull, the Ranger draws agro, I Harm Touch him and take his hat.

About 3 minutes later the Ranger is still en route to the corpse, and my Cleric friend sends him a tell, explaining I ran off and that he's sorry, etc. He casts a rez on the Ranger, who accepts and starts to loot the corpse.

Once he's about halfway finished looting, the cleric casts blind on him, sending him straight to blackscreen, and I run out from behind a tree and kill him with a spear. Then we take his pants.

We offered him another rez, but he politely declined =[

-----------

Killing the same naked elf, every time he enters the zone, and destroying every last piece of tattered and cloth armor he has. Disarming him and stealing his only decent item (his weapon) and knowing he has no money to get another one with.

-----------

Out-of-range, high level healer keeping our opponent topped off with crazy heals and buffs that render the guy essentially invulnerable. Having one of the two players attempting the kill purposely start a long-winded insult-war with the guy while the other player runs off to gather an enormous train of planar mobs. Dropping the train directly on the healer's head as he is halfway through a long, totally bitchin' insult and facing the wrong direction, especially if he starts mashing keys as he is getting stunned and ends up posting the half-finished message just before dying.

-----------

Getting 3/4 of the way through an LDON before purposely overpulling/"going linkdead", killing the group, taking their stuff, and finishing the dungeon without them just to maintain your perfect record. Bonus points for selectively letting group members live/continue on with you (those with crappy gear you don't want to steal) because they'll defend you in the future against retaliations.

-----------

Having a PK group that consists of 3 Bards and just following targets chain dispelling them indefintely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

MatterHorn posted:

The dungeon crawl server has a similar system, when your character dies his ghost can show up in another characters game as a hostile. The ghosts have all the abilities they had in life, perfect spell casting, and a truckload of hit points.

One player created a high level poison mage named Griefer, backtracked him to the temple where characters select their gods, and suicided him. So a few lucky players entered the temple, ate a face full of venom, and bit it. This caused more ghosts to show up in the normally monster free temple, catching more people unaware, and leading to more ghosts.

If I played this game I would pretty much just do this all day.

Oh man I just remembered Amerigriefing in Gunbound.

Gunbound was a fun but stupid game, and only a fraction of players were actually American. The easiest way to make enemies in the game was to purchase the American Flag accessory and fly it proudly. I put together a pretty unique costume that made me look like a badass US Admiral and would spend all my time talking about America and assaulting other nationalities or anyone flying a different flag. This was during the time when worldwide anti-American sentiment was skyrocketing, so dropping an airstrike on some Singaporean's head (regardless of team affiliation) while talking about the great state of Texas was one of the most magnificent ways to make new friends that I have found in online gaming.

The funny thing was that one out of every 5 or 6 rooms that I would do this in ended up loving me, would join in the nation-warhawking/roleplaying, and I would have a bunch of new (actual) friends. Usually the people that found it funniest were not even American. Everyone eventually referred to me as "The Admiral" or "Admiral Poon" (or, "that USA fucker") so I was pretty happy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
In WoW, there is a PvP Battleground called "Alterac Valley". AV is basically a race between two teams of 40 players, and even the losing team is rewarded, so the only way to really "lose" is for the race to never finish at all, or for a single game to drag on for a long time. This makes for all sorts of hilarious griefing opportunities.

For a while my roommate and I played two of the top PvP characters on Illidan (a warlock and a druid) and we would ruin AVs constantly by capturing graveyards that caused stalemates, providing impentrable 2-man defenses that pubbies couldn't crack, abusing hunter pet AI to trigger Warmasters, and other awful tactics that hurt everyone involved by hosing honor gain and making AV function like a totally pointless 2Fort stalemate. Since we were without fail the best PvPers in the BG and were the right classes to abuse the NPCs/terrain features there was virtually no recourse to us doing this as we could generally handle most teams of 5 or 6 even on open ground. With NPC help and friendly pubbies it wasn't unusual for us to hold back a tide of 15-20. When we'd find 1 other person who also found our actions hilarious we could simultaneously grief 77 other people, including our own team, for upwards of 3-4 hours.

Our joke guild on Aggamaggan (SLAMDUNKATRON) would go into AVs and play the "defensive" team. We would purposely let them capture nodes and only put up token resistance, until their entire team was assaulting our boss mob.

We would then gather in a group of 4-5 or so, all put on our Gnomish invisibility devices, and run into the center of the mob of ~30ish opponents. We would then all hit our Goblin Sapper Charges simultaneously and kill all 30 opponents at once.

Sapper charges had a pretty fast refresh (and people only had a few thousand HP at the time) so we often could just bum rush them after this and continue to explode them for 20 minutes or so before they finally spread out or got organized enough to finish off our boss mob. We spent ALL our guild money on sapper charges and sometimes we could keep people held up indefinitely.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 1, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Going to have to post the story of Da Troll Maf'ya from EQ on Rallos Zek, the PvP server.

So in Everquest, there are two races of good Elves, both of which start in the same newbie area. Since the majority of newbies, girls, and 12-year-olds choose some sort of Elf, the area surrounding these towns is a hotbed of terrible and failed dreams.

The first newbie dungeon off this zone is called Clan Crushbone. This orc-filled keep is where all the little elves go to die in droves, earn their wings, get attacked by Dark Elf PCs who don't get attacked by the orcs, and generally learn the comradery that will result in them growing up to be goodly anti-pks in raiding guilds with spotless records and no PvP skills whatsoever.

When the Beastlord class was introduced with a specific expansion, my friend and I discovered that a 2 naked level 14 Troll beastlords could kill almost any number of poorly-geared opponents. The level 14 pet was essentially broken and could destroy anyone without amazing resists completely unaided; having two of such pets meant that the individuals would not make it to a zone line.

This, combined with us being naked and thus able to bind rush at whatever rate we liked, meant that Clan Crushbone was soon completely sealed off to the newbie Elves, with anyone entering losing what little gear they had acquired. This wasn't that uncommon, since whenever a notable PK rolled through the place would be cleared out. We had a few things going for us, however, that made our position unique:

1. We had nothing to lose but were extremely dangerous. This made even other PKs have to worry about us, as they might lose gear if we landed a lucky round or two.

2. We were there ALL THE TIME. Nothing to do after classes today? Log in, idle in Crushbone. We didn't go anywhere else with the characters because we weren't looking for gear.

3. We started taking loyalty oaths. This was our crowing achievement, really. Eventually after killing the same Elf Ranger about 10 times, he started the standard begging/threatening/whining process to get his corpse back and be allowed to level in the zone. Feeling magnamonious, I offered to let him do so, on one condition: he be at our beck and call in the future. If he swore allegiance to his troll masters, he would be expected to attack ANYONE we mentioned in OOC chat without questioning the orders... but he would otherwise be protected. Anyone attacking him would be hunted down and killed.

He quickly accepted the offer.

A few minutes later, as he was looting the corpse, a female Wood Elf Druid ran by. I shouted out her name, not really expecting much, and threw my pet at her.

The Ranger stopped looting, snared her, and threw himself against her. She died to my pet within moments.

A few minutes later I recieved a tell from the druid, begging to be allowed to XP in the zone. I offered her the same deal as the Ranger: swear loyalty, kill her brethren, and have protection. She accepted, grouped with the Ranger, and they ran off to happily level.

Over the course of the next month or so, Da Troll Maf'ya wrested control of Clan Crushbone and held it with an iron fist. Anyone not sworn in was assaulted the moment they entered by anyone present, with huge blobs of newbies slaughtering new arrivals before the zone had finished loading. Anyone could call out a target and everyone was required to contribute to the slaughter. There were only two acceptable factions: Member, or Enemy.

A hilarious side result of Da Troll Maf'ya was that it made the zone incredibly safe from PKs. For the first time a large group of newbies was coralled under a clear directive that emphasized awareness, group tactics, and aggressive PvP. While a well-geared PK was completely unstoppable by even an entire zone of unorganized, naked newbies, 5 Elves and 2 Trolls simultaneously beating on a single character was enough to threaten even the very best. Da Troll Maf'ya was eventually hailed by its members for being the key to their safety and success - and anything they looted while protecting the zone was theirs to keep, so even the greedy closet PKs were happy. The newbies even learned bits and pieces about how to properly PvP, and certainly learned to be more aware and active in defense of their persons. Everone won in the end! ...well, everyone who had sworn loyalty won. Those who didn't were corpse camped by an entire zone.

Long story short: Took over a newbie zone, forced loyalty oaths, forced newbies to kill each other, eventually hailed as protectors and saviours for our racket.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 2, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

TTones posted:

That was great, do you have any more tales or screenshots from this era?

I don't think I have any screenshots, but I have plenty more tales and some good quotes. The guy i killed so much that he bit a chunk out of his hand is probably my favorite, he had to get stitches but we ended up being cool later. Also weapon killing rampages, delevelling people by dispelling charmed pets for hours at a time, knocking people off the tree city, and other fun times.

One of the most hilarious griefs, however, was when I figured out how to bug out nearly the entire Plane of Justice.

The PoJ was the lowest-level Planar zone that you could enter, starting at lvl 46. It was the BEST xp zone in the game as soon as you could get there, and despite mobs hitting quite hard was incredibly easy to camp. The main two camps were literally 20 steps away from the zone exit, most mobs were non-agro and non-social, and spawns were predictable single pulls. The zone even counted as an outdoor area, so Spirit of Wolf and other spells worked, increasing player survivability. It was a pure, simple grinding zone. It also had some incredibly fun PvP possibilities, with multiple levels, corridors, rooms, and line-of-sight options to utilize. The only real problem was that it was way too easy to get out of trouble by simply zoning out to a safe area.

Now, I mentioned that most of the mobs were non-social and non-agro. This is ALMOST true, and for people that stay around the main camps will generally be the case. However, there are several factions and several areas filled with agro mobs in the zone that most players never see, or that never have cause to interact with each other. Taken as a whole, an extremely large percentage of the zone is social, and in many cases agro mobs are social with non-agro mobs, so it is possible to chain agro and grab a train of otherwise peaceful mobs without attacking them yourself.

On its own, this has very little practical application, as you would have to run around for quite some time, go deep into the dungeon, gather up mobs, etc. as per a normal train, and this would really be no more useful than grabbing a train in any other zone. However, there was a weird bug in the Plane of Justice that allowed you to cause bizzarre aggro chains without ever going down past the main level, and without ever seeing a hostile mob.

For some reason, faction was bugged in the PoJ, in that if you used a faction modifying spell on an NPC enough it would permanantly bug to be friendly with you until you left the zone. This wasn't unusual, and was used all the time to make NPCs aid players in PvP combat. But in the PoJ, when a friendly NPC was fighting to help you, he would sometimes bug out his social agro radius... to start catching a specific NPC many, many floor below him. For some reason, this NPC would then prox agro whoever had used the faction bug.

I never figured out exactly what NPC would trigger the whole mess, but if I did it right and ran my friendly NPC in the right circuit on the main level, about 10-15 minutes later the hall would darken. Anyone not facing the correct direction would be suddenly railroaded as approximately 30-40 NPCs (virtually EVERYTHING from the 2-3 floors below) would barrel down the hallway and murder anyone in sight. The massive train included mobs that KOSed everyone, were social with the main faction of NPCs, who were social with the Guards and Rats, and so on. The train would hit hard enough to kill most average-geared players instantly: a slightly higher-level player in excellent gear, such as myself, could probably make it to the door if they had a speed enchantment active and didn't get chain stunned.

The most hilarious part of the process was that the train arrived at a fairly predictable interval after the faction bugging and would kill EVERYONE it encountered. Since the two main camps were right next to the zone out, it meant I knew exactly where to find everyone in zone and could leave the moment I got in any serious danger while still being able to safely watch the carnage unfold. There was absolutely no warning to the train, no messages broadcast, nothing... just a 10-15 minute wait period after the initial circuit you made with your bugged buddy, and then death.

God, that bug was fun. I don't know if anyone else ever figured it out.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 2, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sestze posted:

I love dual purpose things like this. It's griefing, but in the end the "victims" end up becoming better people because of it.

Yeah, I really like to think we taught them to protect themselves. Or at least to steal each others' pants.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^^^ Some seriously heroic poo poo, Isometric Bacon. You're an amazing human being and I love you dearly.

I Said No posted:

This is why I really don't loving like MMOs anymore. People actually get to this level of hosed up, and not just in terms of self-harm - but it still unnerves me that it makes people act like that (Case in point, that one RL murder cos of Legend of Mir). This all said, they are essentially the best griefing grounds due to the sheer amount of people taking them so seriously.

I really think it's hilarious and I only play games with good PvP anyway, so it doesn't bug me in the slightest. Screwing with assholes is awesome and I could do it all day, every day, and be perfectly happy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
One of the nastiest ways to grief someone in EQ PvP was to Weapon Kill them.

On Rallos Zek, you were able to loot one item off a defeated foe - as long as it wasn't in a bag, or in a Primary Secondary Range slot. This meant that most players would invest the majority of their money into a fantastic, irreplaceable weapon and would either:

A. Wear crap in their other slots
or
B. Bag their expensive gear if they were in danger of dying

Now, there was a way to get around the "weapon slots are off-limits" thing: the Disarm skill. Disarm was probably the most useless skill in Everquest vanilla, as it had an incredibly low chance of succeeding and removing a mob's weapon didn't really effect its DPS in a meaningful way. However, PCs could be disarmed on PvP servers, and for a while this actually caused the weapon to fall to the ground.

This was quickly changed so the weapon would go to the inventory when disarmed, which was technically fair game for looting. Virtually every player had his inventory spaces filled with bags or other tools, however, so instead the weapon would attempt to go to the first open bag slot. This effectively protected you from getting weapon killed as long as you had the room in your inventory.

There were some issues with this, however. The weapon would only attempt to go in the very first bag that you held. If your top-left bag was full of trash loot you had been farming... well, you're poo poo out of luck, because the weapon went to your cursor, which counts as an open Inventory slot. It also meant that if you could catch someone halfway through looting a corpse (hopefully with a Blind spell) you might catch them before they looted their bags but after looting a weapon.

But the very best way to get someone to screw up and fill their first bag slot was to get them to bag their gear.

If a player had a collection of gear that really wasn't worth much, it was often worth purposely letting someone bag up to give you a better chance of snagging an expensive weapon. Most players knew to bag but very few (comparatively) knew about disarm killing, and even less were astute enough to think of it in the heat of getting PKed.

My friend and I used to go on Weapon Killing rampages where our only goal was to trick people into bagging poorly and then snagging their only worthwhile item. It was rarely worth much to us, since we were fairly rich, but the reactions we got were loving priceless. The best part was that it took so long to properly weapon kill someone that you had time to chat with them and could often determine if they realised what they had coming. Let me explain:

Disarming someone took FOREVER. The chance of success was exceedingly low: maybe 2-4% for a Monk with max skill. This meant it was necessary to keep someone tied down for minutes at a time, which was incredibly hard since in EQ you could disengage pretty easily, resist spells, zone and disconnect, etc. to get away. The best way to keep someone in range of a disarm was to drop them to the range from 0 to -9 HP, known as "purple" (unconscious) and keep them there via a lovely lvl 1 spell. Players could still chat in this state, but couldn't move, use spells, access inventory or menus, or anything else. Most players assumed they were just being griefed, since Disarm attempts gave no textual indication of any action, and keeping someone pinned down at 0 hp or Mezmerised wasn't too uncommon an rear end in a top hat tactic.

The best part was when we finally got the "You have disarmed the target!" message, because then we got to Kick the poor bastard in the head until he died. We always used Kick to do this, it seemed appropriate.

Often times we would get awesome statements from people stuck lying on the ground for 5 minutes at a time. Here are some of my favorites:

"lol ur so n00b u can't win w/out 2v1"
"can you please stop you won ok leave me alone"
"hahaha noob i bagged my gear u waste your time"
"brb making a sandwich lol"
"what are you doing???"

and the very best,

"Why don't you stop this nonsense?"

Each of the preceding statements is notable because it resulted in us stealing a weapon from the victim. Most then involved HOURS of upset/angry/threatening/apologetic begging for us to return the weapon, threatening bodily harm, telling the life story of the poor SOB we had wronged, and all manner of other hilarious attempts to get their irreplaceable Sword of Getting Vendored back.

EDIT: poo poo that was long, sorry

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 3, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Petey posted:

Hello thread.

Was hoping you'd stop by, this thread is fun come grab a chair and join the celebration

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Vallens posted:

There is a whole lot of NSFW pictures in this thread that should be linked.

You got griefed in RL teehee

Griefing the Arcade Scene

So some people might know I play (well, played mostly) fighting games competitively for quite a while. There were a few games I was tournament-capable at, but for the one game I played seriously (Guilty Gear XX and its sequals) I was one of the top players in the country. I would often play at the local arcade with my friends (who were likewise very good) and when we would get bored of playing seriously with each other we would devolve into seeing how badly we could grief the other people trying to play.

Common tactics included:

-Seeing someone walk into the arcade and put up a coin, and both players immediately sandbagging and playing like rear end, jumping around mashing moves and generally looking like random arcade scrubs, then as soon as the new player inserted his quarter pulling massive, full-life combos and complete lockdown pressure out of nowhere and double perfecting the poor bastard. Usually the guy wouldn't understand what had just happened and would stick around for at least one more game.

-Switching out the player after every round, even against the same opponent. We never asked for permission to do this, and would do it after winning rounds as opposed to losing

-Asking the opponent to pick the character I would play

-Killing an opponent with nothing but airthrows, or uppercuts, or the Punch button

-Winning by time outs every round

-Spending the entire fight talking to friends, not even fully facing the cabinet, obviously not paying the slightest attention to the game despite slaughtering the opponent

One of my roommates preferred going to the arcade while alone and picking Slayer (a vampire character who had a difficult but practical throw infinite in the original Guilty Gear XX) and performing nothing but invulnverable bite infinites for 30+ matches in a row as lines of scrubs would burn money trying to beat him. He considered stopping when someone threw a metal stool at him once, but decided that was even more reason to continue on.

Another one of my friends (zand from these very forums) is even worse; he will stand behind whoever is playing and give commentary along the lines of "Remember, scrubs can't block low" and "this guy is terrible" while the person is still sitting there, playing. Actually the stuff he says is usually worse, but those always stand out the most.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 3, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Constantine XI posted:

I'm tempted to call this a fakepost.

Can you specify what you find in my post to be fake? Pretty sure I can address it quickly but I'm personally not sure what part of it you don't find to be believable.

I'm not certain if you don't believe we would be such assholes, or if you don't believe doing these things is possible.

???

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 6, 2008

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

You sound like an extremely nerdy human being.

That's why I post on SA what the gently caress is your excuse

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Constantine XI posted:

The latter.

Oh.

Honestly it's pretty drat easy. The level of skill difference between a scrub and a higher-level tournament player is incredibly significant and really makes the actual excersize completely pointless. It's pretty similar to attempting to beat a tournament Quake player when you are just a random pubby: you aren't even going to land 1 kill, and might not even land 1 hit.

Unfortunately I haven't really played for about a year or two, or I'd have some recorded matches to show, but talk to any other fighting game goons and they'll concur. The only time I'm going to get hit against a random arcade scrub is if he is mashing out uppercuts and gets lucky at the perfect time, and I am not specifically playing safe to bait his random uppercuts but instead just rushing him down to hurry up and win the match so i can play against someone else.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
So this isn't really griefing, but it was incredible and totally shut down a server for about an hour.

Once while playing Counter-Strike, I noticed a player sporting the name "Crouching with Nade" on my team. As the match started, he pulled out a grenade, crouched, and... stayed that way, the entire match, slowly creeping across the map. Me and another Terrorist immediately changed our names to a variant of "Crouching with Nade" and followed suit. After the next round, we encountered two CTs who had changed to "Nade with Crouching" and "Crouching CT hidden Nade" and were creeping toward us.

Eventually all but 3 players on the 32-man server had changed their names to a Crouching variant and were creeping forward at a snails pace, simultaneously unleashing a hail of grenades on the center of the map. We did this over and over, with almost no communication taking place, which was exceedingly strange because it was a completely random pub server and CS players never agree on ANYTHING, even if it is humorous.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
One of my favorite tricks in Everquest on Rallos Zek (PvP server) involved the use of group teleports.

In EQ, much like every game before and after, people constantly begged for teleports. This was incredibly annoying for any wizard or druid that wasn't actively trying to make money off TPs, especially when a player would start sending private messages repeatedly begging, insulting, and harassing the wizard or druid in question.

So when this would happen to my friend (who played a wizard), we would do bad things to people.

In EQ, it was standard practice to wait for multiple people to purchase a TP to the same well-travelled area, and then all would get a group port at once. This saved time and mana, which was pretty important since mana regen in EQ could take 5-10 minutes. It is also important to note that in Everquest, there was no confirmation window when recieving a port to describe which zone you were headed to. If you were in range and grouped with the wizard, you were simply flung off to whatever zone he sent you to.

So my friend would invite the "customer" into his group, gather the rest of his customers around, and start his portal. What he didn't mention is that the other customers were his friends, and he was teleporting us all off to a completely sealed tundra zone on the far side of the world filled with dragons, with no real entrance or exit, where we would proceed to murder the bastard hundreds of miles from the nearest other player and take his stuff.

The most hilarious part of this process was that the only way for a player we did this to could retrieve his corpse was to get a teleport from another wizard - and then brave the tundra full of dragons, which he had probably sprinted across as we chased him down and killed him.

Sometimes, when he was alone, my friend would just teleport single targets to random locations like this and let them figure things out. For a melee class with no gate options, it probably took hours or days for some of these people to get back to civilization.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh god, someone just reminded me of Counterstrike griefing exploits.

My favorite ever was playing best buddies with my roommate on maps that had 5:00+ timers for each round.

We would rename ourselves to Buddy #1 and Buddy #2 and join opposite teams. We would then do everything possible to help each other be the last two people standing. It was pretty easy, actually, since we were both pretty drat good at the game at the time and would fool our team into thinking rooms were clear, alert each other to teammates movements, flash our own team, etc. to help ensure survival. It would almost always come down to one of us leading a teammate into a "cleared" room while the other person picked off the last guy from behind since he wouldn't check the corners.

At this point we would have 3-5 minutes to run around and play with each other as only best buddies could do. We would play tag, leapfrog, catch (throwing guns back and forth), hide-and-seek, and other wonderful games. Sometimes we would just dance around with each other or run races up and down straightaways. What made it even funnier is that nobody would leave the server at this point, because both sides thought they still had a chance of winning the round.

The responses we got over voice chat after time elapsed each round were amazing.

Another fun game was Get in the van on Nuke. At the very beginning of de_nuke on the terrorist side there was a completely pointless army truck just sitting there. You couldn't do anything with it other than get in the covered back and it was pointless to hide in anyway because the CTs had no reason to ever go in that direction. My friends and I would start the round by jumping into the back of the truck, throwing down all our weapons, and hopping around knifing each other for the entire round. Invariably one or two other players on the terrorist side would notice this, jump in the truck with us, and do the same (because it was awesome). There is no real way for the Ts to win when down 3-4 players and we would do this every drat round, so it was a total death knell for our team. Eventually the CTs would figure out where we were hiding each round and would swing by at some point and essentially shoot fish in a barrel for free kills time after time.

Our team hated us so much.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

This has to be the most boring attempt at griefing ever. Come on, at least try something involving comedy or humor.

Silly chem commando, random dicks, poop, and hooker jokes are HILARIOUS and prime examples of tru blu grief

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Back to the topic of griefing!

I was playing Rock Band earlier and had a brilliant idea. I would go bass and play normally for about half the song but once it got to a solo or something difficult I would play horribly on purpose so that I'd fail the song. This would cause the rest of the team to have to bring me back by using their overdrive or else we all failed the song. I'd last the rest of the song until the very end, then I'd do it again.

Usually, the entire band failed the song from this and we'd fail it at 99$% complete.

Some of my favorite griefing involves playing well until everyone has invested a really sizeable chunk of time into the game, THEN destroying everything.

In DOTA, probably the best awful game ever made and thus one that people take unbelievably seriously, there was a patch where a hero called Tiny (a stone giant) could pick up and throw units into an area behind the starting location that was actually inescapable. Thus, any time an ally would die and respawn, or head back to buy/heal from base, you could potentially trap them for the REST OF THE GAME. There were very few ways to escape and most involved huge financial resources which were probably not available at the time, so people were basically out of play for good once this happened.

The key was to wait until the game had been going on for about half an hour, so people were really invested and would be unwilling to leave on the off chance that they would somehow be rescued. Hitting level 10 or 11 and then suddenly turning on everyone before they figured out what was happening... god, it was great.

I once managed to trap all but one of my team members, then run to the opponent's base and trap 2 of them before the game finally collapsed completely.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Girdox posted:

Still it's not really greifing, you just exploited
edit: now if you pretending to be the almighty talking wall and make them take off their clothes or you'd bring down your unholy wallness, that'd be greifing

That's pretty much greifing, dude.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
In my history of playing online FPS games I often take an "Announcer Jim" personality (unfortunately I don't have any recordings left over =[) I've mostly done this in Counterstrike and TF2, though I try to vary my personality, voice, and the content of what I am announcing.

In CS, for example, I like playing as "Mr WIGGLES". Mr WIGGLES talks in the third person, in a rather high-pitched retard-fever mumble, announcing all his actions to his team in sudden, punctuated bursts interrupted by gunfire and aberrant spazout sessions. I can't keep up the personality for more than 15-20 minutes because it actually causes strain on my voice, but on many occasions I've had my entire team reduced to either screaming insults or doubled-over laughter, with the end result us being repeatedly slaughtered at spawn or other indefensible points because no-one was able to pay attention to the game. The other team generally has no idea what is going on and sends lots of "????" global messages, to which my team would typically respond, "loving MR WIGGLES".

I've never had a voteban succeed when doing this because invariably half the team ends up loving it.

In TF2 my favorite tactic is to announce any event taking place in-game using an imitation of whatever character's voice would normally utter it. So I'll be playing an engineer, and suddenly shout in a gruff southern twang, "Spy's sappin' mah sentree guhn!" or, "Dispahnser daown!" along with other announcements and vocal roleplaying of my class. Every time my scout lands a melee kill I'll punctuate it with a very loud "BOINK!" and start trash talking in a New England accent, etc. Adding in the standard "announce everything like a radio commentator" or simply discussing erroneous topics can make it even funnier, though just doing the voice imitations is my most common time-waster and seems to make my teammates the happiest. They almost always join in after a few rounds of this, and every remotely interesting occurance ends up punctuated by a chorus of role-played exclamations.

It's awesome getting people to role-play TF2.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slime posted:

I'm going to assume you were a holy priest. You can't be THAT bad at world PvP. Please say you were a holy priest.

Hey man holy priests have a huge advantage 1v1 vs a warrior at that lvl

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
For anyone not familiar with Warcraft 3, 3v3 and 4v4 games have always been pretty much a complete joke. I used to play competitively in 1v1 and 2v2 formats, but occasionally a few friends/clan members and I would get together to grief the larger formats - which some people still took very seriously.

Cops and Robbers

Cops and Robbers was probably the best way to play War3 ever. It involved either 3v3 or 4v4 teams and generally large amounts of alcohol. All players on the team would go Human using names like TheFiveOH, LaMIGRA, theMAN, etc. Each player on the team would then take a very specific role: I would set up the Police Barricades (huge walls of mass towers across the map) and mobilize the Squad Cars (mass seige tanks for instant base destruction and to block for the towers) while running the Sherrif (Mountain King hero). Another player would control the Police Choppers (gnomish flying machines) and the Deputy (Paladin hero). A third would have something like the Riot Squad (defending footmen) or Border Patrol (mass rifelmen), etc. No one would make anything other than their designated unit.

The best part was that we would then roleplay our job, which included using the "Police Radio". This meant everything we did was announced in All-Chat so both sides could read it, including attack plans, setup perogatives, blockade erections, etc. Generally for the first 5-10 minutes of the game opponents would assume we were just loving around until realizing that our actions perfectly corresponded with our radio announcements.

We would actually research and work actual police terms into the radio chatter, especially codes for transgressions and responses. It was pretty hardcore.

The reason Cops and Robbers worked so well, though, was because we were actually really, really good at the game. Despite announcing our intentions, having a terrible strategy, and using horrible unit mixes, we would almost always win. This would really upset 90% of our opponents, who assumed (rightly so) that we were basically taunting them. We would basically stall/creep while towering up the map, expanding all over, and wrecking buildings with gyrocopters before rolling in with 20 or so 3/3 steamtanks split between 3 bases.

One day we were playing Cops and Robbers and we beat a team of players with [SA] and [lljk] in their names. Apparently they thought it was hilarious, because one of them bought me this account.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I wondered how long before someone mentioned 4 STR 4 STA LEATHER BELT

Seriously, I remember when that first hit, guild chat was impossible.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

butt catastrophe posted:

I've been playing as "im goku 420" and sniping people and getting similar results :)

Something about DBZ makes people really angry

I play most games under the name aZnPIMPvegeta420 if at all possible, it works wonders

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nimbokwezer posted:

When Everquest first came out, there wasn't much of a limit as to what the enchanter "illusion" spell could morph you into. The entire front facade to the entrance of Felwithe was considered one object, so you could morph into it. (GIS "Felwithe" for an idea of what it looked like - it was the ENTIRE structure). People could go around casting illusion to morph into the entrance, then go up to an adjacent part of the hill and get killed, leaving an exact decoy of the city's entrance. You could repeat this until the hills were surrounded with fake Felwithes, hopelessly confusing the newbies who didn't know how to use the /loc command to find the real city.

My favorite trick was challenging people to duels, landing a mez, and running around a corner. I would then drop a single piece of copper in a dark area, cast an illusion, and turn into the copper piece. Then I would pick up the copper and wait.

The mez would break and the person would come tearing around the corner, but I would be gone! They would usually run in circles for several minutes, unsuccessfully, until either conceding the duel or until I grew bored and started chain nuking them.

Other fun things to turn into: small patches of mushrooms, giant trees, torches/lanterns, coffins, looms, or whatever else might seem inconspicuous.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Stokes posted:

I logged into my thief on UO Divinity today. I disguised myself and went to the Britain graveyard. Some bard had 258 gold on him so I stole it and ran back to town. I disguised myself again, dressed in newbie clothes, ran back to the graveyard, and started attacking skeletons and ghouls as the bard watched.

Some other guy came by and said he was quitting the shard and was giving away some stuff to newbies. I asked if I could have some money. The bard and I ran back to the bank with the quitter. He gated us to one of his houses at Ice Island and chatted a bit. It was a patio house. He decided to give the house on Ice Island to the bard, and his other house to me. So he gated us to Yew and he transferred his small empty house to me. Cool, I have a house now.

He gated us all back to Britain Bank. I hid and stealthed. The quitter threw up another gate and I followed after the bard and the quitter. We arrived at his house on Ice Island. I stealthed into the house and waited for the quitter to transfer the house to the bard. They chatted a bit inside for 10 minutes as I stood there hidden and waiting. As soon as the quitter recalled away, I stole the house key from the bard, killed him and then looted what I wanted to from the house.

Then I sold the key to some random guy for 15,000 gold.

You loving rule.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

You should've asked why he lost to you if he's so good.

I usually just respond to posts like that with "LOLOL ur ships died", it makes people even angrier.

The funny thing is I'm one of those people that takes games ultra seriously, except the parts I take most seriously all involve wrecking other peoples' poo poo.

It's great.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

baupdeth posted:

Duck still works for pissing people off

i almost always draw jesus or hitler in an action pose (usually fighting) and I make sure to include a crudely drawn flying dog in absolutely every sketch.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

fenix down posted:

Do you still do this? I want to play with you.

Yes, please tell us the server, we will not ruin the secret but i want to be there for this

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
The only time I logged into SS13 was still fairly memorable for me, mostly because I had only the vaguest clue how to do anything and wanted it that way.

Of course i started off as an assistant, completely useless, and after figuring out how to put on some clothes I immediately ran over to a locker and accidentally latched onto it.

Having no real idea how to let it go, I did the most logical thing possible: I elected myself Cleanup Crew, and began dragging the locker around the station, picking up absolutely anything lying around, and shoving it into the locker. This included badges, weapons, suits, and anything else that would fit.

Apparently at the time the guards were going crazy and arresting EVERYONE, and both sides were scrambling for weapons and equipment as the station devolved into chaos. One of the guards was stripping everyone he knocked unconscious naked, and leaving their clothes/gear around, so I shoved all that into the locker and continued on my way.

Since I didn't know how to do anything and could barely communicate, I was about as useless as an actual retarded janitor, but i rest happy knowing that by the end of the game more than half the station was naked and no one could find any of the tools they had been working with. Eventually everyone was fighting with planks of metal and glass because nothing else was really lying around worth using.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

McSpanky posted:

This is loving amazing, you griefed the server by accident.

It wasn't really griefing - no one really hates the retarded janitor, they just would rather he go somewhere else.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Spiffo posted:

It encourages people to include some variety in the weapons and items they use and that made people very mad because that means they can't use the deagle.

Pretty sure making multiple weapons that aren't garbage is actually what encourages variety in gear, wups no lets shoehorn in a poorly conceived supply/demand system with no testing

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Nova, I am digging the hell out of your L4D bullshit. I desperately want to toy around with some of the forced dialogue, and the bugged zombie hordes sound simply incredible.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
However amazing 4 str 4 stam leather belt and Duke Nukem are, nothing beats LINDSEY in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfhzTCwWzdE

Lindsey is one of my favorite youtube vids of all time. Nerds have no defense against a girl APPARENTLY

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 6, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh god, we're doing pen and paper now.

So to be fair, there's 2 important things to remember: playing a chaotic neutral character is the most awful thing you can do to a party/GM, and someone will always want to play a chaotic neutral character. It's basically deciding to roll up a 13-year-old and refusing to play the same game as everyone else, but there's always a fucker at the table who really doesn't see the problem with getting together once a week for the express purpose of screwing half a dozen close friends out of an evening. It's really funny the first time, but greifing your friends over and over in the name of "Chaotic Neutral" got pretty old while still in middle school.

Call of Cthulhu
So I've been playing tabletop games for years, and I'm usually the extremely chatty, character-oriented guy who actually tries to collect clues and move the story ahead. Sometimes I'm annoying, sometimes I'm stupid, sometimes I'm arrogant, but I'm almost always social and plot-oriented.

In the present 1990's campaign we're playing, I decided to roll up a totally non-social, average intelligence, impulsive female helicopter pilot with a very high Dex and absolutely no other impressive stats or non-dex skills. I am also extremely well-armed, being a Russian agent planted with US military personnel, and have a number of skills related to subterfuge and intelligence gathering, which the party is mostly unaware of. They have only recently come to realise that I am much, much better at killing people than anyone else in the party, and don't really seem to mind it after I ran over a suspected villain in the mountains with a Ford Explorer. This causes a problem in itself.

We recently discovered an enormous stash of some mysterious drug that seems to transport peoples' consciousness to another dimension. For those not familiar with Call of Cthulhu, it's a not uncommon plot element, and in the context of the game my character felt it very important to determine just what the effects of the drug were on a first time user.

Having no intention of taking the drug myself, I started wild speculations as to the nature of the drug, hoping to drag the rest of the party into a debate. The professor of the party quickly took the bait, at which point I suggested we settle the matter via coin flip, with the loser swallowing a full dose of the drug and reporting back if they lived.

Then I performed a sleight of hand check on the coin (imagine that, tails again) and watched him trip out, losing most of his sanity in the process.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

No, the bastard literally ratted me out to the mage, just flat-out told him over IM. After that every time I did anything at all everyone at the table would roll sense motive on me. :argh:

And yeah, Chaotic Neutral is a bit of a juvenile alignment, but it's not like that was my only character. I had a Lawful Good fighter, an ex-farmhand who was specialized at throwing pitchforks into people, and a Chaotic Good cleric who was fed up with gods and religion and everything else and just wanted to help people.

Oh dont get me wrong, it's funny at times, and having a selfish character can really enhance the roleplaying within a party. It's just the sheer overwhelming number of chaotic neutral rogues I've grouped with really starts to wear on you, especially since there's no real reason for a chaotic neutral rogue to ever go adventuring instead of just holding people up and robbing city centers.

Most chaotic neutrals play in such a way that they could never have friends, and yet they get to travel with the party because they are real-life friends with the players and the rest of the party is often expected to "keep it together" for the sake of the game. It's often really unfair to the GM or party because the player will just ignore the game and do whatever the gently caress they want, which (while fine if in character, i do it constantly) is usually explained by saying "I'm chaotic neutral!" and not having any actual reason at all.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just do what I do when people in your group are acting like that- wait for the perfect moment and kill them.

Why kill them when you can ruin them completely?

Blood Mages Suck

So long before the Blood Mage was granted legitimacy by Warcraft 3 and D&D 4th Edition, it was a horrible player-made subclass floating around for early additions of Dungeons and Dragons, and all the middle-school nonconformists who rolled one up had to make the truly hard choice between a Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Evil alignment. It didn't matter, however, because every blood mage was played like a total psychotic moron and would repeatedly gently caress the party at every turn.

For those not in the know, the original idea behind the blood mage was to inflict wounds upon the caster or THE REST OF THE PARTY to power their spells beyond normal means. Of course this meant two things - blood mages were constantly causing awful things to happen to the rest of the party, and their spells were inherently better than normal wizard spells. So basically the class was a double-gently caress-you: not only was the character better, it also hurt the rest of the party in the process of being better.

So my level 3 Enchanter had enough of the higher-level blood mage lording over everyone else. While everyone slept and I took watch, I basically stood over his body casting repeated Charm Person spells until I ran out. I didn't care if the first few failed, since I had plenty more and no one was going to be upset if they woke up to my character softly chanting 30 yards away, since I was supposedly "studying my spellbook".

Morning came, and I happily suggested our mighty blood mage "show me every last one of his spells!" since they were so awesome and powerful. My newly charmed buddy was happy to comply, using up his entire day's contingent of broken-good magic on a straw dummy I had procured. Then I tied him up, planted an Acid Arrow in the middle of his spellbook right in front of him (even though I would have killed for the spells), and convinced the party Paladin he had tried to kill me. The paladin testified in front of a tribunal, he was thrown in jail, and he had no way to ever recover a spell.

We weren't allowed to make blood mages any more.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 7, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dissolusion posted:

Forgive my pen and paper ignorance (never had a chance to play it, despite really wanting to), but how did you keep everyone else from knowing you were doing this? A lot of these things are funny, but I feel like my lack of knowledge is keeping me from getting it completely.

Asked to speak to the GM in another room or slipped him a note. Actually my party was good enough and i wanted to make enough of a point that I just said it right at the table. Everyone had announced they were asleep, they had no in-character knowledge so they really couldn't justify any action, and it's not like the Blood Mage had endeared himself to the rest of the party enough to make anyone break character in an attempt to save him.

If your character is asleep and something happens, you can't just say "I wake up". At best, there's a chance to wake up based on what has taken place. A spell like charm person has no violent effects or flashy lights, and standing that far away there was no justification for the party or victim to suddenly awake and notice what I was up to. If they'd tried, the GM would have just said "no, you're still asleep, nothing has happened".

So the players knew, out of character, what I had done, but they had their characters take my side (since I had done nothing visibly wrong) and we threw the guy in jail. Usually when a character commits a heinous crime on the party, however, they do it by slipping the GM a note or explaining their actions in private.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

HORSE RAPER posted:

Inn story

I once played a low-level illusionist named Brellon Angstryfe (ok, his name was Brian, he just lied a lot) who had a penchant for brazen acts of recklessness in an attempt to gain street cred.

The adventure started in a coastal town in an inn filled with pirates, rogues, and general drunken scum. It was supposed to be a typical "party finds common grounds and decides to work together" origin-type event, but instead began with me buying enormous amounts of liquor for all the pirates, regaling them with ridiculous tales of wealth and bravery, and getting into horrible debt from gambling with pirates and the cost of liquor.

Being level 1, I didn't have anywhere near enough money to pay off the evening, so I asked the bartender to keep a tab, went up to my room, rigged up a rope, and then hung myself out the window.

Well, I hung an illusion of myself, which was in reality several chairs to weigh the thing down. Then I hid in another room, jumped out the window when people found my "body" and ran like hell.

I don't even remember how the GM managed to start the adventure after that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I forgot the story of my illusionist (the same one that hung himself) who claimed to be a might evoker. For those not in the know, specialist mages in D&D like the Illusionist or Evoker have "restricted schools" where they cannot cast certain types of magic as a tradeoff for their power.

Well, having told the party I was a might Evoker (the kind of wizard that makes fireballs and blows people up) the reality was I specialized in Illusions, with absolutely no damaging spells. I didn't like violence and had never learned to cast fireballs, but I did want people to like me and had aspirations to be the greatest court wizard of all time.

So basically I had to spend my entire career casting illusory lightning bolts, pretending to set fire to things, and warning the party of "highly resistant monsters" if my illusions failed to scare things off. And when undead would appear, the entire party would have no clue why i had suddenly become completely useless.

• Locked thread