Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Johnny Aztec posted:

You do know that things change over time, right?

People used to raid faction cities by MCing a mage and making them throw up a portal for the raid to go through.

Thats why you kept lovely abilities on your main bar in PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

I try to grief goons whenever possible, they take games at least as seriously as everyone else

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I do enjoy how everyone there was laughing their asses off except the event organizer who was truly outraged

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
so how would i bind a shortcut like that in TF2? If I wanted to set it to 1 key so I could do so very quickly.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ok stealing intel is amazing, but i would REALLY like to be able to join the neutral team and kick rear end. Oh well.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
i joined a game and stole the intel at almost the exact moment someone did for the other team. We flew around the middle of 2fort together before changing our names to RedIntel and BlueIntel and had a very nice conversation while blocking sniper lanes.

But yeah this bug is gone within a day or so it's so prevalent now.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

fennesz posted:

That's not only an amazing form of griefing, it's actually quite ingenious. It's a shame things like that cannot (as of yet) occur in larger MMO's like World of Warcraft. I'd consider buying it and paying the monthly fee for a little while just to make people's lives hell.

e: I guess I should point out that I'm aware Guild Banks can get robbed in WoW, I just think the physical (or perhaps virtual) act of entering some place that you are not supposed to be and looting absolutely everything to be a much more violating way of ruining someone's fun on the internet.

Things like that could be done in UO, to a slightly lesser degree, and were harder to pull off, but they definitely happened. Until they carebeared the gently caress out of the game, etc. etc.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

WendyO posted:

If you can lose that much with the way that the X-Box accounts work, then that's obviously at least as good a griefing as all the Eve stories. Going after someone that's obviously put a lot of time and effort into what they're doing is commendable when they take that as a license to act smug. If you can do it with a system that's completely ridiculous in how it's implemented, then that makes the plan so much better, and having a great result for so little effort rather than trying to beat them at their own game like some kind of internet superhero is what really brings it all together.

Yeah because following in-game rules and PvPing is akin to smashing someone's property (which is effectively what getting a gamertag banned does).

Awesome analogy!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^^ this really only applies to 1v1 situations against certain classes, or against really bad players. These days a druid dies in seconds to two attackers just like everyone else.

apekillape posted:

This made me want to play WoW more than anything I've ever heard. Holy crap.

Basically the only griefing that exists in wow is corpse camping someone really hard. It is funny and effective but also very, very avoidable and run into the ground, and the reality is that 1 or 2 people cannot conceivably do anything at all versus a decent sized group/guild other than gank lowbies. Which is only marginally interesting.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

apekillape posted:

Indeed. I've been following the thread since the inception. That snowball story is effing ridiculous.

It's becoming a foregone conclusion that I'll eventually play the drat thing. Mercy on my soul.

You realise that in following a griefing thread you have chosen the MMO that is literally least conducive to griefing as your game of choice based on these stories. WoW is pretty unquestionably the most carebare game out there, so don't join it expecting OCIEAN OF PUBBIE TEARS LLOL because it's not like that at all. There are fun stories and isolated neat incidents, but for a game with more subscribers than the population of china there are surprisingly few interesting things you can do to gently caress with people other than just being an rear end in chat.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Promoted Pawn posted:

I can't think of any besides trash talking, quitting early, or taunting in game, like teabagging a dizzied opponent. Fighting game mechanics don't exactly give you much freedom except choosing how you're gonna hit the other guy.

I made a post way back in this thread about arcade griefing. That's about the worst you can do though and I don't recommend it unless you are fairly intimidating because people might actually start fights with you.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Bieeardo posted:

Didn't they end up making it impossible to use those bags for non-trade storage, or that they'd make them empty on logout?

They just made it so kits checked for an actual possible combine before eating items. No possible combine, you just get an error message saying it's not possible.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

McNerd posted:

FYI this is standard in Spanish. Spanish J is the closest to the english H sound, and spanish H is always completely silent. So that's how they spell it amongst themselves; maybe other languages too.

Goons in games hate other cultures and people from other countries. This is called racism.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Really, I love open-source, open-ended games and I refuse to play SS13 because the admins are seriously the worst. Guess what, you're 100 times whinier and worse than the pubbies when you go around banning people and show favoritism!

Figure out in-game ways to deal with stupid violence or go home. It's not the pubbies who are coming of looking like pathetic griefees in these testimonials.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hey you stupid faggots this isn't the SS13 thread it's the griefing thread share griefing stories and shut the gently caress up about SS13 admins jesus loving christ.

well the admins are getting griefed then acting like babies, it's pretty relevant

quote:

Have you ever actually tried to moderate a game of Space Station 13? You know, that game where the in-game security force is treated essentially as a vending machine for weapons and armor? Dealing with poo poo (say, for example, idiots running around attacking people!) in-game isn't just awkward to set up, it's near drat impossible when there's in the ranges of 40-60 players online, each player running on their own little agenda. In short: people are lovely and in the time it takes to ~ROLEPLAY~ one incident, there's another six going on at

It's the same problem you see in any game with team damage turned on. It's understandable that certain roles have a lot of power but honestly if security guards have too big a role in ruining the game they should be changed or the job should only be assigned based on votes or some poo poo. Totally arbitrary administration is the worst loving way to police an open-ended game and makes everyone involved look really sad.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 28, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Drox posted:

I got this amusing mental image of a man in full business costume being held captive, and then released, whereupon he forces his captors to pay royalties.

loose the suit indeed

releasing the lawyers, like the dogs of war.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Zenodice posted:

Holy poo poo, the idiots in that vent would make me kill myself if I had to listen to them for any extended period of time.

I cannot stand idiots that talk like that, they have no place being on the internet, it's so absurdly out of place, much less the fact that the vast majority are white middle class suburbanite 20 something males.

I blame consoles for the influx of these idiots personally.

"Yo I'm straight gangsta yo, i'm gonna go home and talk to my niggas on vent yo, word.... shiiiiiii I be all up in these internets and throwin' down with random niggas in vent yo, represent or I tear you in half cuzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

God I despise rap culture so much... SO much.

I don't care if you like the music, I really don't, but I cannot respect and refuse to communicate with morons who speak like that.

** Edit ** Upon further inspection, your post about griefing just raged my poo poo hard, I feel like Xzibit should be in here so we can fully appreciate the meta of putting grief in my grief thread so I can rage while I rage.

Look at this post right here

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Garrdor posted:

Counter-Strike

Fantastic game! I couldn't find very many ways to grief, other than shooting the hostages and spamming respawn with smoke grenades the whole match. I had to get a little creative. There were some wonderful 'hacking' programs made for this game. Of course, if you got caught (and this was pre-steam) - I'd simply get a server ban. There wasn't any lockdown of your CD-key. Now, my favorite program back then was called "OGC-9". It had this great 'hack' for servers that ran the popular "admin mod" (A program that eliminated the need for admins by giving players vote control on everything). You could literally crash the server and restart it. Of course, when it did this - there was a 'voice-annoy' function that blared "SUCK MAH MOTHAF***IN DICK" before it crashed.

No one likes hacking, it's not funny or creative. Sorry.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Well, here's a WoW story that I figure I can tell.

Back when TBC came out and everyone was leveling to 70 or whatever, there was a specific quest item that caught my eye.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=29737

This item, Navuud's concoction, was a random little potion that sat in your inventory and gave you a clickable buff "Lasers eyes". This was used to split up these little slime mobs so you could kill them or collect them or something stupid and finish the quest.

I never finished the quest, so I never turned the thing in.

You see, I noticed a few things that were odd about this item. First off, the effect if gave you took up a buff slot, which meant it might be a dispellable buff, which meant you could potentially use it to soak up dispels in PvP. This proved to not be the case; it was actually undispellable... which actually proved useful later.

The second thing I noticed was that it had unlimited charges of applying this buff.

The third thing I noticed was that this ability only had a 1 minute cooldown to reapply the buff. THIS MEANT YOU COULD USE THE ITEM IN ARENAS. This was especially important to me, as I was a hardcore arena player at the time.

Finally, I noticed that it caused your attacks, dots, and everything else to randomly spam a totally pointless proc "Lasers shoot out of your eyes". This did not appear to do anything, but popped up a spell effect whenever it went off. Not only did this spam opponent logs with messages, and completely gently caress with any sort of scrolling combat notifications, but IT COULD ACTUALLY EAT SHAMAN GROUNDING TOTEM CHARGES.

Now, for anyone that does not know, grounding totems were a thing shaman would drop that would eat hostile spells with a relatively high frequency unless destroyed. It was very important to kill grounding totems because otherwise you would have critical spells fizzle at important times and be totally unable to do significant damage to a target. This was especially awful as a Warlock, as dots would not kill a grounding totem when redirected (nukes would, but locks almost never nuked and had few good insta-cast nuke options) and you had many critical spells on longer cooldowns you could not afford to have fail at bad times (like silences and fears).

Well, when LASER EYES could proc on random ticks of a dot, you had a much lower chance of losing an important spell to the most recent cooldown of the grounding totem. And of course, the buff was undispellable.

We were the only Warlock/Priest/Warrior team in the top 10 3v3 of ANY battlegroup for basically our entire run, and for a long time were #1 worldwide 3v3 team by ranking, on the hardest battlegroup. Which was hilarious, since the other best teams at the time were all Shaman/Warrior/Paladin, which was considered completely unbeatable by our setup.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 13, 2010

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Category Fun! posted:

Taking fighting games at all seriously is terrible because even the most "skilled" players can be beat by button mashing or spamming the most powerful moves.

This is basically the stupidest thing imaginable and is tantamount to saying "even the best football teams can be beat by throwing a hail mary pass every down" because it worked for you in Madden '94 against your little sister.

Having played fighting games competitively, the odds of me losing a game to an unskilled player mashing ANY move in a game that I'm even remotely competitive at are literally nonexistent. The only time this does not apply is when the game is completely, unredeemably broken and would never be played in a competitive setting, and even then a good player would still win approximately 100% of the time because the poor player couldn't execute the broken sequence properly.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 13, 2010

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

SteadfastMeat posted:

*selects Eddy, mashes O+X, wins forever*

And once again, this was useless against a good player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

GulagDolls posted:

It is inconceivable to me that a person who has been granted the gift of unreal amounts of free time and virtually limitless opportunity in comparison to the rest of the world and then uses said free time attempting to derive momentary satisfaction from the perceived or real grievances of others in a computer video game made for teenagers would also be a person with a sense of insecurity.

This is dumb. Entertainers don't let people poo poo up their shows. The fact that he simply makes a statement and then kicks people attempting to gently caress up his channel isn't getting griefed, it's refusing to be griefed by not participating in your sick burn parade. You aren't worth his time and he recognized that quickly and that made you sad.

You're dumb and people that think they totally rekked this guy are dumb. And whoever the dude is who DDoS'ed him, you're a complete baby without any creativity who can't even tell when their awesome joke is actually really lame.

• Locked thread