Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
THere's one kind of specific player that I just can't stand on TF2, who I like to call 'captain rear end in a top hat.' He's the guy who bosses around the entire team, telling them what to do, and 9 times out of...9, he has no loving clue what he's talking about. He's constantly calling for medic even when he's not damaged, telling people how to play their classes (you detonate stickies with RIGHT CLICK? really? I had no idea!), and if (when) we lose, he blames everyone else.

Now I play medic pretty often, so this type of guy especially pisses me off. What I love to do is, play along during the set-up period and start healing him exclusively, then get my uber charged up and ready to go. Of course, being the invincible hotshot that he is (not), he gets right up next to the gates so I can uber him and charge into the fray (pretty standard tactic if you're not familiar with the game).

However, I always accidentally run away and uber someone else once he's safely in the middle of 10-20 enemies with no chance of escape. He usually leaves the game after that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
^^ I know it's been said, but it really seems like Second Life was just made for griefing. Heh HELP

Danith posted:

Ha poo poo, I was laughing at this; it reminds me of that blob thing in Ultima or whatever

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

theprofessor posted:

Awesome article about Goon griefers in Wired, of all places:

http://www.wired.com/gaming/virtualworlds/magazine/16-02/mf_goons
Haha god what a poorly written article. Not that I expect anything less from the publication idolizing eric bauman

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Orfeo posted:

I think this is what you're talking about. The Great Scam?

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html
Man, that was really long. I feel bad for poor hardhat, and for the library attendants, who probably eventually ended up unplugging that phone.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I used to do the Super Smash Bros. DK grab and suicide all the time to the point where my friends wont play with me any more. It's ok, I hate those fuckers anyway, they would ledge camp and always play the same guy to the point where the game wasn't fun anyway

I know that I have participated in more creative griefing than this, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank. A total blank!

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
The invisible ghost medic infecting people with ghost doors and poo poo sounds funny as hell.

I started griefing purely by chance earlier in TF2. I was playing pyro when everyone on the server decided to go melee only. I had gotten all three milestones so I had the axetinguisher, which (if you're not familiar) does basically no damage against people who AREN'T on fire (but lots if they are). But, I had a terrible idea.

Pyros also have this compressed air blast as an alt fire of the flamethrower, that is primarily for bouncing incoming missiles and nades but can also be used to bounce people. It's not really that effective, but sometimes can be used to separate a group by bouncing someone off a bridge or separating a medic from the person he's ubering. However, since this was melee only and I didn't want to switch back to the regular axe, I just decided to start bouncing people.

No one argued that it wasn't melee only, since it only works at basically melee range. However, that didn't stop them from getting pissed after being bounced off a cap point 8 times in a row. After continually bouncing people, I actually got kind of good at it, so that I could bounce someone near a wall into the wall, then get beneath them and bounce them in the air over and over again, juggling them if you will.

After I started juggling everyone I came across, people started getting pissed, and taking their guns out and trying to kill me. Of course, I'm running all over the place trying to stay directly beneath them so as to bounce them, so they are hitting me sporadically at best. After I run out of bounce ammo, I just book it, and without fail they chase after me, until I get more ammo and do it again.

I eventually joined a different game that wasn't melee only and did the same tactic, which pissed people off so bad that I was not only so good at bouncing them, but that they could never seem to catch me after I ran out of ammo. Not only that, but even though I had like 0 score I was doing an amazing service to the team, since whenever anyone saw me they'd run back to their spawn or just try to kill me (often unsuccessfully). Eventually I'd get everyone on their team chasing me around, and my team would just score over and over again until we'd win. Heavies were especially easy to do this to, but snipers were easily the most pissed about it, since they'd never be able to do significant damage once I ran out of ammo and ran away. The best part was the rest of my team not only didn't mind, they actually covered me, often with a sniper getting a headshot when I finally ran out of ammo and let the guy land.

Nothing like a very confused girl saying "why do I keep jumping?!" on mic or a very angry neckbeard yelling "STOP BLOWING ME!!!!!!!!!"

I know it's not 'griefing' because I'm still helping the team, but it's good enough for me. Also, my bro (also goon) and I are seriously considering loading up SL to see if we can't cause some damage.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Just got second life as Hornamental Thespian and I have no loving idea what I'm doing. I went to WHAT but everyone was kind of ignoring me and talking about warhammer online or some poo poo. I'll be back on later to see what is up

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

MrDutch posted:

Well we got the spider avatars, now all we need is goons.

If your online come to w-hat or IM me, MrDutch Dezno. Ill be online for a few hours, but mostly afk, ill check in every now and then to see if there are people.
The spider armies are amassing. Will you take up arms (legs) in the fight?

Also, in my spare time I have been traveling about as Santa.

I haven't been on that much yet, but I've been trying to bring Christmas Cheer to everyone I meet and every place I visit. I've given many goons presents, and I stopped by a museum earlier to spruce up the place. Unfortunately, I thought Screenshot was Ctrl + ', not Ctrl + `, so I only have one screenshot from this endeavor, while I was taking cover from the host of some party wandering around.

Needless to say, the 30 or so party guests I snuck past are going to encounter more decorations before they can get to the exhibits

LittleSunshine posted:

Goddammit I'm stuck on SL's bloody orientation island - I seemed to have killed the tutorial window somehow and it won't let me off without completing all of them. Anyone got a clue how I can escape?
Can you teleport straight to w-hat? Try going to Search and typing in what, and see if you can go to Region: what

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
p.s. I just got a message from the guy running the party at that museum

quote:

[11:42] Marisino Mosuke: (Saved Sat Jul 12 13:16:14 2008) What're you doing on the NCI plot o.o

wow that's the second time I've crashed from there being so many spiders on the screen. I might have to sit this one out :(

Mathemagician fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 12, 2008

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Spider invasion: successful. Many people got screenshots and I think someone got video so be prepared

Here we are massing in w-hat, and there is much confusion in the ranks because no one really knows where to go or how to communicate. After a few crashes from the sheer number of complex avatar spiders, we set off to a FurNation realm, where we quickly realize that everyone is AFK, so MrDutch suggests The Orgy Room.

Here we are at in the lobby, preparing to strike.

We scampered all through the orgy room, where various acts of lewd perversion were taking place. I noticed a couple cuddling, so I thought I would join in.

Unfortunately, the sheer number of spiders and people and crappy jpgs in the orgy room caused us to get about 2 fps, as well as numerous crashes from most spiders involved. This called for a tactical retreat, wherein we went to a sandbox and I resumed my Santa duties and spruced the place up.

Someone disliked my holiday cheer so I dropped a christmas tree on their head (screenshot not found :( )

Anyway we encountered another individual who called into question our arachnid nature.

I believe it was Groin Magic who at this point found a cruise ship teeming with people, so we went to check it out.

Here we are on the bow of the SS Galaxy, where we spent an unreasonable amount of time navigating the pisshole maze of a cruise ship, but when we found people we struck pay dirt.

It seems we had interrupted a wedding. We proceeded to run around like idiots, not saying anything in local (using group chat only) to complete the illusion. Rod was wielding a nazi flag and playing the piano, and though I have no screenshot I'm sure SOMEONE does. NEedless to say the guests were not pleased, and most of us were banned within a minute or two. However...

Due to some back-door antics (bugs and group teleporting), a number of us were able to sneak back in. I seemed to get in after everyone else had been superbanned, so I snuck in the back way.

Here I am hiding on the balcony of the ballroom at what appears to be the reception. I sent TP invites to my fellow spiders but to no avail; it appeared I was the only one left. So, I did what any rational being would do

I started dancing! I used one of the pose-balls set up for people to dance with, and though you can't really tell from the screenshot I am doing a salsa dance. I guess my moves weren't appreciated and I was banned again.

WHEEE! When you get banned you generally go flying and end up at the edge of the zone. However, what did I find there?

Some of the party guests banned also? I never got the chance to ask them as I was then superbanned and sent back to w-hat, never to return to the SS Galaxy.

Mathemagician fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 12, 2008

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

I Said No posted:

I couldn't work out how the gently caress to get screenshots during our arachnid expedition (I believe Linden Labs used to have the nerve to charge you to take screenshots or something)
The easiest way I've found is just to use FRAPS and bind it to PrntScrn, and not do video with it. Other than that, you can hit Ctrl + tilde and a little menu pops up where you can 'save to file' or something like that, and then a file dialog pops up. So it's like 3 steps using the SL screenshot, or 1 button using FRAPS. FRAPS is free and very hands-off so I just use FRAPS!

Surprising how well the spider thing has taken off. I'll probably pop in every once in a while to distribute spider avatars to those who want them and see if I can't invite people to Arachnids group

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

lwoodio posted:

For some reason this ham is particularly amusing.

On another note, me and Baofu Shan had a romp in FurNation yesterday, where a 'savvy' furry was combatting us the only way his primitive mind could conceive; building a big Raid can. So, we decided to sit on the can.

He shot us up into the stratosphere with some poo poo but I just fell back down and went about my business, skittering going 'HHHSSSHSHSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!' (baofu's idea)

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Maumacto posted:

Do a search for Pokemon Roleplaying or Pokemon Camp, one of the places has something right at the entrance with the pokeballs.
We couldn't find either of those places, but I did find Poke Furries's Camp (eww) which did have it for free. So if you can't find those first two, try Poke Furries's Camp

p.s. most people don't like it when you catch'em

Mathemagician fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 14, 2008

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I was talking to my dad about grog earlier and I remembered something from the old days that me and my brother used to do. In RetroMUD there was this emote called 'grog'; you'd type /grog [name], and that person would see

quote:

> Ferdinand pours you a warm cup of grog.

no matter where they were or who they were. You wouldn't even have to be in contact with them; you could just look at the server list and /grog random people.

Now generally you'd do this at a tavern, guild hall or what have you to be personable, but we decided that it was the best emote ever. So we'd grog everyone we'd meet and use it in a number of occasions.

party members asks for healing/buff/crafting?

80th level guild leaders all up in your grill about dues?

13 yr old on crack wants to pvp?

admin says you are a worthless player?

the maps in that game were horrific, and sometimes you'd get someone asking for directions back to areas where guys would spawn.

For some reason this seemed to piss people off, especially when they'd leave me and find my brother, ask him the same thing and get
> Fade pours you a warm cup of grog.

Another thing was that the mud-handlers of the time (would turn wall of white text into colored text based on type of message), emotes would have their own color that was similar to the combat message color (combat was red, emote was orange-ish). With a well-placed grog, you could get people exploding with buffs, teleporting out, or doing any number of things including attacking you on sight. People who recognized it as an emote still seemed to get extremely pissed, especially when you /grog'd them over and over again. You could also /grog all and do it to everyone in the room. Not the greatest grief ever, but still makes me laugh.

Mathemagician fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 27, 2008

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

100%BEEF posted:

When I get bored of playing tf2 properly, I join a random public server, go spy, and see how long I can stand on heavy weapons guy's heads before being killed. I get a fair bit of abuse from my own team who happen to spectate me while dead. I also get abuse for having a very low score.

Once I managed to stand on a sniper's head for a good 5 minutes, continually using the "jeer" voice command to insult him after every shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBdBDZDmI_k
This is truly hilarious, especially how the entire other team is just kind of oblivious. I think only one pyro ever caught you at it in that video probably just because he was spamming.

Also I think somehow I started a trend with the air-blast pyro, because now I'm seeing other people doing it on the servers I've done it and they're calling it 'poof pyro' now. :psyduck:

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

I Said No posted:

Reminds me of the time I went Medic, took my saw out and used only my saw by rushing the front lines. If anyone called for medic, I just called medic back at them. If anyone got in my face about it I played the violin to them.

I got so much pure hatred from both teams, then when I suddenly switched to Demoman and blasted the living poo poo out of the lot of them they weren't too impressed about that either.
That is a great story. But, offensive medic can be extremely dangerous sometimes if you play it right. With the Blutsauger, for instance, you can take out a pyro 99% of the time, because they'll just run straight at you and you can run straight backwards and because of the medic speed boost, they don't gain much ground. Scouts will often go for the bat kill with medics because they're a soft target, which is why the bonesaw is great for taking scouts out, etc etc. I don't do it often but people do get really pissed for some reason when you're dominating them as medic. My own team seems to get more pissed than anyone else, calling up admins to ban the 'combat medic' who 'isn't doing his job by healing the heavy' :rolleyes: More often than not it's that mentality that makes me go combat medic in the first place.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

HORSE RAPER posted:

I've also managed to get people hilariously angry by playing as a Spy and not ever disguising or turning invisible. I had some 4chan-meme-spouting kid screaming "SPY WHY AREN'T YOU DISGUISING" until his voice cracked because I ran around alongside his Heavy, heroically shooting at sentry guns with the revolver and attempting to knife Pyros in the face.
Whenever I end up in a game against less-than-skilled players I do this. No one on my team seems to mind though; it's usually the other team because they keep getting pistol'd. Sometimes I can get a bunch of people on my team doing this, it's pretty funny.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

m2pt5 posted:

Apparently there's another glitch with the heavy you can use to glide around in the default pose.

1. Spin up your minigun in spawn, then use the equip command to switch to the other one.
2. Do a taunt. This should glitch your animations and leave you looking like a heavy civilian.
I was so sad when they patched out the civilian but this brings a ray of hope to these dark times. What is the 'equip' command, like what do I put into the console?

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more

Vib Rib posted:

YOU AIN'T NEVER HAD A FRIEND
NEVER HAD A FRIEND
I think I ran into you doing this once, I remember everyone was completely flipping out and I was just laughing

I kind of stopped playing TF2 recently, like I always do a month after a new patch comes out. The only thing I miss is mic spam :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
It's the little things that count, like smoke grenades. Buying a bunch of smoke grenades at the start of de_dust and throwing them towards all the trouble spots, especially when there are a lot of people on the map and it's hard to tell who's doing it, so anyone who uses smoke grenades legitimately gets banned. I applaud ALL griefing efforts, big or small.

• Locked thread