Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

It makes me sad that there is nothing remotely as awesome as Ultima for griefing anymore.

I make do with EVE, where ore theft is not particularly profitable but gets you amazing tells as a reward. But if anything ever came around that was like Ultima and as popular as it was back then, I'd sub immediately.

I think the TF2 vids are great fun. But I am afraid griefing isn't really fun for me unless I know that what I am doing is going to have an effect on them for more than a few minutes, so I stick to MMO's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Anjow posted:

World of Warcraft
Get an Elekk mount (an elephant), stand on top of the flight NPC so people can't target him, go AFK.

Sadly, these levels of not really griefing at all but mildly frustrating newbies who don't know what they are doing is the level most MMO's are at now.

Developers do everything to make player's lives easy and ungriefable, and we're left with the odd exploit that will be fixed next patch. I desperately hope that there are one or two future MMORPG's which will be like EVE or Ultima, both popular and supporting through interesting mechanics for people who don't always want to be nice.

That's not just so I can grief, but because it really does lead to more interesting interaction dynamics, as we see in the intrigue often appearing in EVE.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Can someone here explain WHY THIS IS FUNNY AT ALL?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R4dfaylxz1A

It's a small community, FF is on in 95% of the servers. There is no individual mute player option anymore, like other source mods, you have to mute everyone.

Is this clever? Fun? I don't get it.

Roomba are Mygot members.

There entire aim isn't to upset people in a funny way, but to create what they call rage. Where others stop enjoying the game and either quit or scream. A lot of what they do is griefing and funny, but raging is their main game. I think wikipedia covers the difference in their griefing article, if not check Mygot's website.

Their website is unintentially hilarious. Mygot members take everything more serisouly than most normal game players, and they show their new members in a gallery, which is equally fun because 50% of them are morbidly obese, and the other 50% are 12 years old.

For a forum/guild/organization committed to griefing it is funny. For me griefing is about having fun, not trying to get mentioned in articles, which for them it has become.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Mygot was around well before BF2, but anyway, yeh, Ishkoo who makes some of the videos at least is a member of Mygot. Though I'll give Roomba the credit for having a sense of humor.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 28, 2008

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Poida posted:

The killboard is messed up at the moment, hulk losses aren't worth anywhere near that much, I think the real figure is about 70m per. On memory the first campaign, realistically, did around 200 bil in damage - the current one has a long way to go.

Are you affilitaed with Goonswarm, so you're stuck only attacking GS enemies and nuetrals, or are you independant so you can go do this to anyone at all?

I ask because it really wound me up that I couldn't grief people allied with goones, even though alot of those people were completely wealthy and idiots, I couldn't go and kill them, so now I have a character in GS, and another who is not with anyone, just so I can grief who the hell I like.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Fatrick posted:

Man, everyone on that sever HATED us, it was goddamn hilarious

I am convinced that our best guild ever was the SWG one.

The game was famous for being just plain bad, and yet goons joined by the hatful just to be with us after posting some of our stories. I guess those stories are still in archives if you have an archive account, and are worth hunting up.

People would move their guild planets away to get away from us. And that just made us more determined to upset them!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

The team flares thing is ok, but so far the last 2 pages have been crammed with your screen caps of walls covered in flares, which after a single picture isn't interesting for readers any more.

Requesting tales of interesting griefing instead, please. We're meant to be griefers of other players, not each other. Perhaps it would be best for the flarers to create another thread for organising/talking about their group.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

king of no pants posted:

I don't know. $50 is a lot to be unbanned, sounds like a steep requirement. But on the flipside I'm working 70 hour a week overtime for some serious pay over the summer and at the end of it all $50 will be pocket change, yet still large enough to remind me not to be a loving idiot. :downs:

Is that server really that great that you'll pay $50 to play on it? I can't imagine any server being that great.

Also, is that admin a goon, or is this forum public now? I lost track, I know a year or two ago the games forum flipped from public to private and back a few times, and I'm not sure which state it ended up being. If it's public, as I assume it is, this thread really should be in one of the subforums (or at least you flare guys should make a thread for you in a subforum).

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I tried to do some real world griefing yesterday.

My wife decided we were off to a community dog show, but said I could wear what I like (sometimes these are fancy affairs). So I decided to wear my falcons jersey. My old Michael Vick Falcons jersey, to be precise. She doesn't follow sports, nor apparently news.

The looks were hilarious, until my wife was told what the looks were for and demanded I removed the shirt.

Sadly, I had my daughter take some shots on her phone, but she deleted them. That means I have to do it again to prove to my friends I actually did it, and this time my wife knows what's going on.

(for those who don't follow sport, Vick was locked away last season for killing dogs and running dog fighting nights, he's hated by pretty much everyone).

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 25, 2008

• Locked thread